• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Marvie_3

Banned
Only 25 more games until I hit 150. I'm pretty close to an A- as it is, but House is close too and zswimmer is at 150 already. The 3 of us could scam legend cards by the time the playoffs roll around this month. :D

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Only 25 more games until I hit 150. I'm pretty close to an A- as it is, but House is close too and zswimmer is at 150 already. The 3 of us could scam legend cards by the time the playoffs roll around this month. :D
My stats are still pretty low though. At some point I noticed they even dropped to a c+ overall, I was like wtf. Dunno what they are now.

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
I've got a long way to go before I hit 150. I think I'm at like 31 or 32 right now; just earned my Pro card the last time I played. I'm at least hoping to actually join in on our playoff games this month.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
My stats are still pretty low though. At some point I noticed they even dropped to a c+ overall, I was like wtf. Dunno what they are now.
There are ways to scam it to get your grades higher, and since the grading system is such bullshit in this series, I don't feel bad getting it any way I can.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Enlighten me please! :D
You need at least 3 players in an OTP game for it to count. So 3 of us set up a private game and do what we need to make sure stats, team play, and positioning are as high as we can get them. Then after a few games, boom, legend card.

Its a bitch way to do it but the EA grading system is such garbage so I don't feel bad scamming it.

PBY

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
You need at least 3 players in an OTP game for it to count. So 3 of us set up a private game and do what we need to make sure stats, team play, and positioning are as high as we can get them. Then after a few games, boom, legend card.

Its a bitch way to do it but the EA grading system is such garbage so I don't feel bad scamming it.
oh god this brings back memories :lol

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:

Hmmm... interesting. The ea grade system is fucking shit so I would have no problem doing this. Seriously though, they didn't even improve it a little from last year. Same stupid suggestions 'Keep putting that puck in the back of the net'. No shit sherlock, thats what most people are trying to do.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Hmmm... interesting. The ea grade system is fucking shit so I would have no problem doing this. Seriously though, they didn't even improve it a little from last year. Same stupid suggestions 'Keep putting that puck in the back of the net'. No shit sherlock, thats what most people are trying to do.
Yeah and the fact that its so much easier to lower your grade than it is to raise it. One offsides or one turnover will murder your team play grade.

I click on the thread today and see this...sad :lol

shouldn't known it would be Marvie's idea, you might have your legend card if you actually played the game once in awhile chief :D

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I click on the thread today and see this...sad :lol

shouldn't known it would be Marvie's idea, you might have your legend card if you actually played the game once in awhile chief :D
I played 4 drop in games late last night. As usualy my team play suffered because my teammates wouldnt catch passes and the puck was turned over and my position grade dropped because my teammates had no fucking idea where they were supposed to be on the ice. I did average 3 points per game though so my stats were fine.

Marvie_3 said:
I played 4 drop in games late last night. As usualy my team play suffered because my teammates wouldnt catch passes and the puck was turned over and my position grade dropped because my teammates had no fucking idea where they were supposed to be on the ice. I did average 3 points per game though so my stats were fine.

yeah yeah yeah it's everyone else's fault :D

so...anyone playing tonight?

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:

If you'd seen some of the guys I played on a team with last night you'd totally understand. :lol

I'll be on after the Blackhawks/Predators game.

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:

I probably will be at around 11pm.

Hey marvie maybe you should change your guy to a Tough Guy. Serious though, your team play rating goes up if you fight while down and your team play goes up when you successfully check someone, it's pretty sweet.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
I probably will be at around 11pm.

Hey marvie maybe you should change your guy to a Tough Guy. Serious though, your team play rating goes up if you fight while down and your team play goes up when you successfully check someone, it's pretty sweet.
Yeah, but then I'll have no offensive skills....and somebody has to score on this team. :lol

Marvie_3 said:
If you'd seen some of the guys I played on a team with last night you'd totally understand. :lol

I'll be on after the Blackhawks/Predators game.

yeah drop in games are terrible, Ive been playing them a lot lately practicing my goalie skills and its like watching a kickboxing match between 2 paraplegics in front of me, whole lot of nothing going on

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
So you're a totally overrated pussy? :lol
Well I was thinking more of along the lines of being an offensive dmen with my 11 awesome points. And I aint afraid of mixing it up! Need I remind you who holds the club records for most hits in one game and fights
eek5oopsie__________.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm done. We played like complete shit tonight. Defensive positioning needs a lot of fucking work.

When we're on a penalty kill and they're forechecking, just clear the damn puck. Don't skate around with it, don't look for a breakout pass. Just get the fucking puck out of the fucking zone.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
I'm done. We played like complete shit tonight. Defensive positioning needs a lot of fucking work.

When we're on a penalty kill and they're forechecking, just clear the damn puck. Don't skate around with it, don't look for a breakout pass. Just get the fucking puck out of the fucking zone.
I didn't notice anyone turning over the puck on the penalty kill. I think most of the times we attempted to clear. Like I said though, first time playing with Hardy on defense.

Hardy we just gotta pick a side to be on is my 1st suggestion. There were some instances where the other team was on the rush and you switched over to right defense and I had to quickly cover the incoming guy. I have no problem switching sides if were out our zone or in the neutral zone attacking. No biggie though, me and Vis started to play really well once we got used to playing with each other.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
I didn't notice anyone turning over the puck on the penalty kill. I think most of the times we attempted to clear. Like I said though, first time playing with Hardy on defense.
There were a couple turnovers and several more that could easily have been turnovers.

gg's to everyone I played with tonight (nice offensive explosion Denogg), sorry my feeble attempt at goalie cost us 2 games guys, that experiment is over...

As far as Marvie's criticism, I didn't feel like we played that poorly, there were some times on the PK we could have cleared it quicker, but I don't remember that biting us in the ass at all. Offense was the problem, we were sloppy and couldn't establish any offensive zone possession. Part of that was my fault in the later games when I played Center as I felt we had some good chances on the rush that pretty much all fell apart with bad execution on my part or good defense. The one game the guy was spamming the deke faceoff so I had to do it back to him everytime to win any faceoffs and that messed up our ability to get the puck back the to d-men more.

Positioning-wise on D only thing I noticed is we got caught chasing behind the net in the last game which is a no-no, D-men need to always just let them go behind the net and instead of chasing just hug the corner of the net and be ready to poke check to prevent the centerng pass or wrap-around. If they come out from behind the net and take it wider for a toedrag wrister in the low slot then you need to step out and cut them off and poke. Other then the game I played goalie and gave up all the softies I thought the D was pretty good for the most part.

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
gg's to everyone I played with tonight (nice offensive explosion Denogg), sorry my feeble attempt at goalie cost us 2 games guys, that experiment is over...

As far as Marvie's criticism, I didn't feel like we played that poorly, there were some times on the PK we could have cleared it quicker, but I don't remember that biting us in the ass at all. Offense was the problem, we were sloppy and couldn't establish any offensive zone possession. Part of that was my fault in the later games when I played Center as I felt we had some good chances on the rush that pretty much all fell apart with bad execution on my part or good defense. The one game the guy was spamming the deke faceoff so I had to do it back to him everytime to win any faceoffs and that messed up our ability to get the puck back the to d-men more.

Positioning-wise on D only thing I noticed is we got caught chasing behind the net in the last game which is a no-no, D-men need to always just let them go behind the net and instead of chasing just hug the corner of the net and be ready to poke check to prevent the centerng pass or wrap-around. If they come out from behind the net and take it wider for a toedrag wrister in the low slot then you need to step out and cut them off and poke. Other then the game I played goalie and gave up all the softies I thought the D was pretty good for the most part.
Droppin' the ball, Vis. For shame! :lol I felt like I made a noble attempt at getting us back into that game where the other team dropped for whatever reason, despite leading 5-2. I can't say I was proud of the second goal, but like I said, "better lucky than good."

I think our biggest problem was definitely offense. In the two or three games I played, the goals the other team got were absolute garbage; our CPU goalie was asleep at the wheel for whatever reason in the game we got shut out. And I don't know what happened on a couple of goals that got by when someone was actually playing goalie. I don't envy anyone playing that position in a game so ruled by awkward, sudden, bad angle shots.

In all the games I played, I was just trying my best to win faceoffs and move up the puck other ways besides moving it myself. I know I got greedy in the last game I played, but it resulted in two goals; that is if we're not counting a couple of critical turnovers that picked-off passes facilitated. I definitely agree with Marvie that our positioning was shit.

At any rate, ggs last night. I think we were all just a little rusty.

DenogginizerOS said:
Vis and I working together with CPU teammates had much success with patience, spacing, sharing, and communication.

Its always easier playing with CPU teammates as they are usually in good position and you can dictate when you want them to pass to you. It's funner and more rewarding to win with a full squad though.

I do agree with the communication part though, seemed like after the first game I played as goalie everyone went silent on their mics (my play as goalie probably had something to do with it :D )

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
Its always easier playing with CPU teammates as they are usually in good position and you can dictate when you want them to pass to you. It's funner and more rewarding to win with a full squad though.

I do agree with the communication part though, seemed like after the first game I played as goalie everyone went silent on their mics (my play as goalie probably had something to do with it :D )
I usually don't have much to say mainly because I never know which color arrow corresponds to who... It's tough to call out to someone specific when you have no clue who is leading a rush with you or cutting to the net. Is there a general rule of which color is which position or do you have to more or less play it by ear/read jerseys?

I had thought about trying goalie sometime, but it's far more gratifying to possibly be the one making plays or scoring goals. Being the last line of defense -- but also being partly to blame for a loss -- is nowhere near as fun. If anything, it's a good way to make your teammates mad at you. :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TheVisualizer said:

Absolutely more fun, but I noticed immediately with the full squad how difficult it was to find people to pass to compared to when we were playing against the CPU. It felt like no one was in the right positions at times and the puck handling was a almost a never ending plowing towards the net rather than waiting for people to get into open positions.

If fatigue slowed people down more in this game, perhaps cherry pickin', fast break oriented hockey would start being replaced by more methodical zone-based hockey where movement of the puck and positioning had more to do with success.

bumpkin said:
I usually don't have much to say mainly because I never know which color arrow corresponds to who... It's tough to call out to someone specific when you have no clue who is leading a rush with you or cutting to the net. Is there a general rule of which color is which position or do you have to more or less play it by ear/read jerseys?

I had thought about trying goalie sometime, but it's far more gratifying to possibly be the one making plays or scoring goals. Being the last line of defense -- but also being partly to blame for a loss -- is nowhere near as fun. If anything, it's a good way to make your teammates mad at you. :lol

If I'm not sure who is who, I just use the colors. To answer your question, there are specific colors for positions:

RED = C
GREEN = LW
DARK BLUE = RW
LIGHT BLUE = LD
YELLOW = RD

Two things I like to communicate when I play Center is to let my wingers know when I intend on tie up on the faceoffs (especially in the offensive zone) and also when and which direction I am dumping the puck when we are on the rush, the earlier you let them know the better.

On that note it might be a good idea if we actually think about setting up some dump plays when we have 2 or 3 human-controlled forwards. If we call out the intention to dump and the side very early down in the D-zone so everyone is on the same page, then flood one side of the ice with forwards rushing forward and timing their entry at the blueline good I think it can be really effective. A d-man or the 3rd forward would be the one actually dumping the puck. It would be a nice changeup from trying to walk it in most times and if coordinated well can catch teams by surprise, especially teams that try hard to deny entry at the blue line.

Goalie is difficult for me mainly because of the camera, it's hard to keep the correct angles when your vision is impaired because you need to look thru your back. It's also near impossible to see the puck when its right in front of you, so rebounds are an adventure. I think the best camera angle might actually be the zoomed out one where its following the action rather then the regular 2 that sit behind the goalie, but that pans pretty slow so the rush can get on top of you pretty fast. I'd rather have like a 1st person view to go along with the zoomed out one that I could use in close for rebounds and loose pucks.

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
If I'm not sure who is who, I just use the colors. To answer your question, there are specific colors for positions:

RED = C
GREEN = LW
DARK BLUE = RW
LIGHT BLUE = LD
YELLOW = RD

Two things I like to communicate when I play Center is to let my wingers know when I intend on tie up on the faceoffs (especially in the offensive zone) and also when and which direction I am dumping the puck when we are on the rush, the earlier you let them know the better.
Good to know there is some method to the colors, and what you said about your habits as Center is useful as well. I think I may have actually said I was dumping it over my mic once or twice last night, but we were in such offensive disarray, I don't think it made much of a difference. It's definitely one of the many things I need to work on.

TheVisualizer said:
On that note it might be a good idea if we actually think about setting up some dump plays when we have 2 or 3 human-controlled forwards. If we call out the intention to dump and the side very early down in the D-zone so everyone is on the same page, then flood one side of the ice with forwards rushing forward and timing their entry at the blueline good I think it can be really effective. A d-man or the 3rd forward would be the one actually dumping the puck. It would be a nice changeup from trying to walk it in most times and if coordinated well can catch teams by surprise, especially teams that try hard to deny entry at the blue line.

Goalie is difficult for me mainly because of the camera, it's hard to keep the correct angles when your vision is impaired because you need to look thru your back. It's also near impossible to see the puck when its right in front of you, so rebounds are an adventure. I think the best camera angle might actually be the zoomed out one where its following the action rather then the regular 2 that sit behind the goalie, but that pans pretty slow so the rush can get on top of you pretty fast. I'd rather have like a 1st person view to go along with the zoomed out one that I could use in close for rebounds and loose pucks.
Playing goalie does seem like a huge pain in the ass sometimes. It's basically deciding which is the least of all the evils -- camera wise -- and living with the occasional blind spot or shot you simply weren't expecting. In the times I went into practice mode and basically threw myself to the wolves with 5-0 powerplays, I found my best option when things got hairy was simply to freeze it/cover up. The shots that got past me were usually the ones that I saw and simply mis-reacted (saw it coming left and hit right for some reason). I've found that squaring up with the shooter helps to give you the best read, but it's important not to over-commit. If you get off your feet or too far to one side, you are completely screwed if you cough up a juicy rebound.

Some night I may try to play G if you guys don't mind. But if I do, you all better be playing some serious D. Even a great goalie is going to let shots by if his defensive line isn't protecting him.

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
Good to know there is some method to the colors, and what you said about your habits as Center is useful as well. I think I may have actually said I was dumping it over my mic once or twice last night, but we were in such offensive disarray, I don't think it made much of a difference. It's definitely one of the many things I need to work on.

Playing goalie does seem like a huge pain in the ass sometimes. It's basically deciding which is the least of all the evils -- camera wise -- and living with the occasional blind spot or shot you simply weren't expecting. In the times I went into practice mode and basically threw myself to the wolves with 5-0 powerplays, I found my best option when things got hairy was simply to freeze it/cover up. The shots that got past me were usually the ones that I saw and simply mis-reacted (saw it coming left and hit right for some reason). I've found that squaring up with the shooter helps to give you the best read, but it's important not to over-commit. If you get off your feet or too far to one side, you are completely screwed if you cough up a juicy rebound.

Some night I may try to play G if you guys don't mind. But if I do, you all better be playing some serious D. Even a great goalie is going to let shots by if his defensive line isn't protecting him.
Dumping the puck is something we need to do more. I'm fast enough to get it most of the time but if we had another wing who was fast as well, it'd help a lot. I'd rather have the opponents grab the puck off a dump than turn it over at the blue line. If we're getting pinched at the line, we should dump it every time or try to pass back to an open defenseman to cycle the puck for another push. Another thing I see once in awhile is people trying to deke/change direction at the line. This usually leads to a turnover or an offsides. We need to get better about dumping the puck then too. I usually try to time my entry so that I'm across the blue line exactly with the puck carrier but I get caught offsides because of a deke or somethin. Basically, it all comes down to communicating more. The puck carrier needs to be much more vocal about what they're going to do with the puck so the other forwards can get set up properly. Makes it easier for me to get after a dumped puck when I can get a good jump on it.

If you wanna try goalie, we could always play a couple practice games so you can get a feel for it. That way nobody would be mad at you if you play goalie as bad as I do. :D

I really can't grasp goalie in NHL 11 for some reason. I was pretty decent in NHL 10 and almost nothing has changed but for some reason I can't stop the puck at all in this game.

DenogginizerOS said:
Anyone playing this evening?
I'll probably be on at some point.

Top Bottom