• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Marvie_3 said:
I'm hung up at work for another 2 hours. I was supposed to be here from 1-4 but its turned into a 1-9. If we aren't playing tonight we could get some practice in.

im down for some practice or whatever, just msg me if you get on tonight

bumpkin

Good practice games last night, Vis, Denogg and swimmer. I was kind of expecting the experience to be a bit more... Structured? I hadn't been able to mess with club practice until last night, so it was news to me that it was basically a game against the CPU with no consequences to losing (or winning). To that end, it seemed like we weren't really working well together, especially in that game where the CPU was in the attacking zone for minutes on end. They were passing like crazy and we weren't really able to stop any of it. I suppose shutting down a passing game is ultimately inconsequential in a game against human opponents since the mantra of most teams is wrist early, glitch often though. :lol

After we finished our games, I played a drop-in game where I initially intended to work on playing center, but got stuck being goalie. The funny thing is regardless of whether it was beginners' luck or our opponents having weak offense, I almost shut them out. The even funnier thing is I think my team had 7 shots on goal, but they had 20. We won the game 2-1 with them not scoring their only goal until there was less than 4 minutes left to the game. I could tell they were getting frustrated, but I know I felt like a bad-ass. :D I kept a close eye on the puck, stopped a late wraparound attempt, and even shut them down on a few one-timers that were right across the crease. It was pretty satisfying. I even got named the 3rd star of the game (I bet I'd have been 1st if I had shut them out).

zsswimmer

bumpkin said:
Good practice games last night, Vis, Denogg and swimmer. I was kind of expecting the experience to be a bit more... Structured? I hadn't been able to mess with club practice until last night, so it was news to me that it was basically a game against the CPU with no consequences to losing (or winning). To that end, it seemed like we weren't really working well together, especially in that game where the CPU was in the attacking zone for minutes on end. They were passing like crazy and we weren't really able to stop any of it. I suppose shutting down a passing game is ultimately inconsequential in a game against human opponents since the mantra of most teams is wrist early, glitch often though. :lol

After we finished our games, I played a drop-in game where I initially intended to work on playing center, but got stuck being goalie. The funny thing is regardless of whether it was beginners' luck or our opponents having weak offense, I almost shut them out. The even funnier thing is I think my team had 7 shots on goal, but they had 20. We won the game 2-1 with them not scoring their only goal until there was less than 4 minutes left to the game. I could tell they were getting frustrated, but I know I felt like a bad-ass. :D I kept a close eye on the puck, stopped a late wraparound attempt, and even shut them down on a few one-timers that were right across the crease. It was pretty satisfying. I even got named the 3rd star of the game (I bet I'd have been 1st if I had shut them out).
Well to be fair to us, the CPU are a whole 'nother level better than playing against your average human opponents. They know when to pass, where to be at on the ice, and how to shoot, all without making any mistakes. If I recall correctly, they never out shot us by a large margin, they just had a lot more possession time. Don't let that get your expectations down, 90% of people don't play like that.

Grats on goalie. Playing G in OTP really can give you a lot of practices with odd man rushes since hardly anyone plays defense in OTP :lol

I had a shitty time last night at center but if I do it again I'll be much more focused and hopefully with less baggage. It's a harder position to play when you're pissed off and staring at the wall instead of the TV screen

bumpkin

zsswimmer said:
Grats on goalie. Playing G in OTP really can give you a lot of practices with odd man rushes since hardly anyone plays defense in OTP :lol
I've toyed with the idea of removing myself from the front lines and playing in net for our club games. Though I play okay defense and occasionally make a good play or score a goal, I've got nothing on any of our leading scorers. I don't really feel as though I consistently contribute in the goal or assist department; faceoffs are about the only stat I make an impact in (when lag isn't killing my timing). Of course the idea of playing goalie usually goes away when I remember that victory (or defeat) could be squarely on my shoulders; especially in low-scoring games.

So I dunno... Thoughts? Comments? Analysis?

bumpkin said:
I've toyed with the idea of removing myself from the front lines and playing in net for our club games. Though I play okay defense and occasionally make a good play or score a goal, I've got nothing on any of our leading scorers. I don't really feel as though I consistently contribute in the goal or assist department; faceoffs are about the only stat I make an impact in (when lag isn't killing my timing). Of course the idea of playing goalie usually goes away when I remember that victory (or defeat) could be squarely on my shoulders; especially in low-scoring games.

So I dunno... Thoughts? Comments? Analysis?

goalie is a hard position to play, I'd rather not play with a human since they put us at a huge disadvantage in all areas except breakaways/penalty shots. Nonetheless if you like playing it we can give you a shot to prove your skills (but not in the playoffs)

as far as you not thinking you are not contributing, there's more to contributing than scoring goals, like a real hockey team you need to find your niche. Look at zsswimmer, hes played like 100 games but has only scored like 10-15 goals, but he knows his role, play good defense, intimidate the opponents with big hits, fight to take good players off the ice and occasionally get in on the scoring.

ultimately do whatever is most fun for you or what you feel you do best, if nothing stands out there's no shame in being a jack of all trades / grinder.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
TheVisualizer said:
goalie is a hard position to play, I'd rather not play with a human since they put us at a huge disadvantage in all areas except breakaways/penalty shots. Nonetheless if you like playing it we can give you a shot to prove your skills (but not in the playoffs)

as far as you not thinking you are not contributing, there's more to contributing than scoring goals, like a real hockey team you need to find your niche. Look at zsswimmer, hes played like 100 games but has only scored like 10-15 goals, but he knows his role, play good defense, intimidate the opponents with big hits, fight to take good players off the ice and occasionally get in on the scoring.

ultimately do whatever is most fun for you or what you feel you do best, if nothing stands out there's no shame in being a jack of all trades / grinder.

I agree, at first I wasn't sure what my role was but Marvie let me realize my true power as the token black.

I skate out there with pride now. :D

Kave_Man said:
I agree, at first I wasn't sure what my role was but Marvie let me realize my true power as the token black.

I skate out there with pride now. :D

yeah I read about that unlockable "token black" position in NHL11, make sure you buy the boost pack for it too :D

zsswimmer

On an unrelated note, my roommates girlfriend got me and my roommate lower level tickets to see the Thrashers vs Penguins. Why, I dunno, but its fucking awesome. :D

bumpkin

I'm around but the weekend or later tonight (11-ish EST) would be better for me. Usually easier to get control of the TV when the wife is ready for bed. :)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You need to win a certain amount of games in a row from what I remember to win the championship.

Anyways good luck to you all, I'm expecting perfection from you scallywags.

if we're in the playoffs then i'd better change my name from what it currently is :lol

Marvie_3 said:
I'm hopping on to play some Fallout. Up to you guys when we play.

I'm doing my dynasty game right now...I could probably roll around 9:45 for sure

ok maybe 10 lol

im a no go for tonight, you guys can play without me if you have enough people

if you don't play tonight, saturday I should be good, but you don't need to wait on account of me

bumpkin

ph33nix said:
I'm doing my dynasty game right now...I could probably roll around 9:45 for sure
10 is probably the absolute earliest I can get on tonight.

TheVisualizer said:
im a no go for tonight, you guys can play without me if you have enough people

if you don't play tonight, saturday I should be good, but you don't need to wait on account of me
I'm down for waiting until Saturday. The question is what time would we be shooting to for (EST)?

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
ive decided that im not going to play in this month's playoffs, I wanna give my spot up so that someone else has an opportunity to play
D'oh! I mean it's a noble gesture, but I think we need all the firepower we can muster. Scoring seems to be our weakness sometimes.

Marvie_3

Banned
Tomorrow sounds like its going to work best, except for the few that have said they couldn't make it.

Who can play tomorrow, so we can get a lineup set? Viz, I know you can make it tomorrow night. :D

I was thinking this:

Practice: 6pm EST
Playoffs: 7pm EST

We can get a couple practice sessions in before we start playing and hopefully clear up any problems we might run into before we get into a game.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Tomorrow sounds like its going to work best, except for the few that have said they couldn't make it.

Who can play tomorrow, so we can get a lineup set? Viz, I know you can make it tomorrow night. :D

I was thinking this:

We can get a couple practice sessions in before we start playing and hopefully clear up any problems we might run into before we get into a game.
I can make it tomorrow at those times.

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:

I was thinking this:

I should be able to make it.

Repgnar

I can make it if there's room. Is it not possible to play any games with the team until we finish our playoff games or until the playoff 'season' is over with?

Dmorr07 said:
I can make it if there's room. Is it not possible to play any games with the team until we finish our playoff games or until the playoff 'season' is over with?

yup, we can only practice together, or try to jump in drop-in games at the same time, but no regular games until the playoff game

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
yup, we can only practice together, or try to jump in drop-in games at the same time, but no regular games until the playoff game
If we have enough players, we could set up a private OTP room too.

Zakkath

I didn't know there were Preds fans out there... Well, have fun with the Playoffs. Just make sure to win so I can get in sunday :)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Zakkath said:
I didn't know there were Preds fans out there...
haters gonna hate
preds.gif

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Marvie_3 said:
Is there a place where I can make those smileys?
nah, i just stole it from one of the pens fans, you can open it in gimp and i think its just like 2 or 3 frames to replace the text in

I think I might be around all day. First time in a while I can kinda chill the fuck out. Anyone want to have some practice sessions later?

Top Bottom