• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

TheVisualizer said:
I'll blow your mind even more, I'll bet you didn't know that pressing LB will cancel a regular or saucer pass if you are holding down either pass button and decide you don't want to pass it anymore...

you can thank me later

zjz8r4.gif

tumblr_lco2viTbWZ1qz7ztxo1_400.gif

swim great job in goal, we let you down big time, that shit was the saddest display of defending I've ever seen us do, that team completely pinned us in our own end for a whole period and just unloaded shots. I had to bail, I couldn't sit thru another period of that...

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
swim great job in goal, we let you down big time, that shit was the saddest display of defending I've ever seen us do, that team completely pinned us in our own end for a whole period and just unloaded shots. I had to bail, I couldn't sit thru another period of that...
Don't worry about it. Goal #1 and #4 shouldn't have happened.

Its obvious though we lack team chemistry when we get 5 or 6 players.

Schuey, gotta recommend some changes on d for ya, these won't be hard its just a matter of changing your habits.

1. Youre playing far too passively on defence. You can't be in the middle of the defensive zone while guys are coming down center ice. You gotta be able to mix up being aggressive and passive at the same time. The farther back you play the more ice you are giving to the attacking forward to set up a pass or shoot. You gotta step up on a guy eventually or else he's too deep and almost guarantees a scoring chance. Poke check them into oblivion!

2. You gotta stop using the block shot animation so much. When there is a guy driving down the high slot, and you do the block shot, you are essentially taking yourself out of the play. A better alternative is the 'lay-down' block for 2 on 1s but thats it. Again, putting yourself in that position just gives the attacking forwards more options to score. I would put some points up (if you haven't already) into your stick checking, and have the pokechecks become your best friend.

3. On the offensive zone faceoffs, if I win the faceoffs, skate away from where I have the puck. In tonight's case, I was left and you were right. So when I recieve the puck from the center, you need to start moving to the right so you can open yourself up for a pass. A couple of times tonight you moved towards me when I was passing and it creates some confusion.

That's it. Pretty minor things. Like I said, its all in the habits. I think the hardest thing for me is stepping up on the attacker, so thats the one that will probably take you the longest to get in the habit of doing.

Hope that this advice will help :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
zsswimmer said:

Schuey, gotta recommend some changes on d for ya, these won't be hard its just a matter of changing your habits.

1. Youre playing far too passively on defence. You can't be in the middle of the defensive zone while guys are coming down center ice. You gotta be able to mix up being aggressive and passive at the same time. The farther back you play the more ice you are giving to the attacking forward to set up a pass or shoot. You gotta step up on a guy eventually or else he's too deep and almost guarantees a scoring chance. Poke check them into oblivion!

2. You gotta stop using the block shot animation so much. When there is a guy driving down the high slot, and you do the block shot, you are essentially taking yourself out of the play. A better alternative is the 'lay-down' block for 2 on 1s but thats it. Again, putting yourself in that position just gives the attacking forwards more options to score. I would put some points up (if you haven't already) into your stick checking, and have the pokechecks become your best friend.

3. On the offensive zone faceoffs, if I win the faceoffs, skate away from where I have the puck. In tonight's case, I was left and you were right. So when I recieve the puck from the center, you need to start moving to the right so you can open yourself up for a pass. A couple of times tonight you moved towards me when I was passing and it creates some confusion.

That's it. Pretty minor things. Like I said, its all in the habits. I think the hardest thing for me is stepping up on the attacker, so thats the one that will probably take you the longest to get in the habit of doing.

Thanks for the advice. Cutting out the shot block animation will be easy. I think the reason I avoid stepping up is that I don't want to shoot past him. But I guess I don't really need to push forward, just don't skate backwards.

Overall I think I have done decent considering the number of games played and the difficulty of the position. These corrections should help though.

zsswimmer

SCHUEY F1 said:
Thanks for the advice. Cutting out the shot block animation will be easy. I think the reason I avoid stepping up is that I don't want to shoot past him. But I guess I don't really need to push forward, just don't skate backwards.

Overall I think I have done decent considering the number of games played and the difficulty of the position. These corrections should help though.
Yes you have. Like I said, minor things to help slowly improve your game. Vis usually critiques me on some stuff I need to work on, and I'm just passing along some acquired defensive knowledge :D

zsswimmer said:

good tips swim, I also have a big post coming sometime in the next week with d-man tips for everyone. I already have most of the diagrams mocked up, should help all our d-man understand things I do that have proven to be successful.

zsswimmer

Ok, ran into the MOST frustrating game I ever played. Ever.

So these fucking clowns come in here, absolutely are blasting me and Vis with hits. But we controlled the play so I wasn't too pissed, but my rage levels were rising. Every goddamn time I had the perfect opportunity to absolutely cream them on the boards I bounced off of them like it was nothing, and they controlled the puck.

So Vis and I are still controlling the play, 10 shots to none at the end of the 1st period. Then comes the 2nd. Their very FIRST FUCKING SHOT, is a glitch that scores. Ok, no problem, we've outplayed them and we'll beat them. A few more pillow checks by me and the score is 2-1. Rage level beginning to rapidly rise. They get another goal making it 3-1 (with like 5 shots btw), and I ragequit. It's one of those games wear I need a heavy bag to release some anger, seriously. I can understand how Vis feels when he takes 'breaks', and that put me pretty fucking close to considering one.

6795_angry-at-computer.gif

/blog

Don't you worry my friend, don't you worry. The motherfucking Warden will protect you tonight. Do not take a leave!

When are you guys getting on?

outside of the fact all of you are real good dudes I'm having trouble finding reasons I shouldn't stop playing this shit game once and for all, tonight might have been the straw that broke the camel's back...

Marvie_3

Banned
Man, those were some sorry ass games we played.

TheVisualizer said:
outside of the fact all of you are real good dudes I'm having trouble finding reasons I shouldn't stop playing this shit game once and for all, tonight might have been the straw that broke the camel's back...
So you're going to quit because we had a bad night?

I hate to say it, but I'm in the same boat with Vis. The only reason I play this game is when we connect well on offense and have a good time giving each other shit on mics.

It's kinda getting dull =/

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
I hate to say it, but I'm in the same boat with Vis. The only reason I play this game is when we connect well on offense and have a good time giving each other shit on mics.

It's kinda getting dull =/
So...all the other good nights we've been having are somehow forgotten because of one night?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The team is still 14 games above 500, which is not to shabby. There will also be annoying games, which is mostly par for the course when you anything multiplayer.

Marvie_3

Banned
Listen to this while you read this post.

My fellow GAF hockey teammates,

In the past 3 years of this club, we've never been this good. Ever.

In 09, our club only lasted a month and a half.

In 10, we plowed on for 10 months. For 8 of those months we had a single goal in mind and that was to have one god damn month where we could say we were winners. One single month where we could finish over .500. We encountered more bullshit in a night than this team does in a month. Cross crease after cross crease. Whip shot after whip shot. We kept moving despite piling up hundreds of losses over those months. Finally, 8 months later, we had what we wanted. It may have only been 2 games over .500 but we fuckin did it. We stuck together through all the shit and reached our goal.

This year, we're an elite team. We're one of the best teams out there. That's something we could only dream about in the past yet somehow we're not happy. We're in our 3rd straight winning month and we're falling apart. A few losses here and there keep us humble. Nobody is perfect nor is every team. We're going to have nights where we completely fuck up, lose a bunch, and maybe get pissed at each other. It's just something we're going to have to deal with and get through.

We've handled teams that do nothing but try cheap things and glitches. We've handled teams that we had no business beating. We've played better as a team than any GAF team has before. Why is it we can't handle a bad night here and there? It doesn't make any sense. Nobody wins them all or plays their best every night. We have to remember that and we certainly can't let that get us down.

I survived the bullshit from last year. Ph33nix did too. Let me tell you, this year is nothing compared to last year. I know you guys aren't quitters and that's shown by how many times we've come back in games. We've got a damn good team and I know we can win it all one of these times.

All I know is that I'm with this team until I'm the last member standing. I hope you guys stick it out too because win or lose, I've had a blast playing with you all so far this year and I want you all to be there when we finally raise our banner.

Marvie_3 said:

In 10, we plowed on for 10 months. For 8 of those months we had a single goal in mind and that was to have one god damn month where we could say we were winners. One single month where we could finish over .500. We encountered more bullshit in a night than this team does in a month. Cross crease after cross crease. Whip shot after whip shot. We kept moving despite piling up hundreds of losses over those months. Finally, 8 months later, we had what we wanted. It may have only been 2 games over .500 but we fuckin did it. We stuck together through all the shit and reached our goal.

This year, we're an elite team. We're one of the best teams out there. That's something we could only dream about in the past yet somehow we're not happy. We're in our 3rd straight winning month and we're falling apart. A few losses here and there keep us humble. Nobody is perfect nor is every team. We're going to have nights where we completely fuck up, lose a bunch, and maybe get pissed at each other. It's just something we're going to have to deal with and get through.

We've handled teams that do nothing but try cheap things and glitches. We've handled teams that we had no business beating. We've played better as a team than any GAF team has before. Why is it we can't handle a bad night here and there? It doesn't make any sense. Nobody wins them all or plays their best every night. We have to remember that and we certainly can't let that get us down.

I survived the bullshit from last year. Ph33nix did too. Let me tell you, this year is nothing compared to last year. I know you guys aren't quitters and that's shown by how many times we've come back in games. We've got a damn good team and I know we can win it all one of these times.

All I know is that I'm with this team until I'm the last member standing. I hope you guys stick it out too because win or lose, I've had a blast playing with you all so far this year and I want you all to be there when we finally raise our banner.

because you wasted your time typing all that out, I'll reconsider and stay a little while longer... I still hate this fucking game tho

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:

clap.gif

I can't quit anyways, this is the only game I have for my xbox :D

By the way, in 09, our club did not last a month and a half, I kept playing with w00dchuck, don't know if you guys remember him, but we were the only ones who ever got on and for a while we wondered wtf happened to all of you :lol

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
No wonder you've played 600+ games. :lol
Yeah I buy games and end up selling them back because I don't end up playing them enough :lol . Everything else I can play on my laptop, like Bad Company 2 :)

zsswimmer said:
Yeah I buy games and end up selling them back because I don't end up playing them enough :lol . Everything else I can play on my laptop, like Bad Company 2 :)

I'm building a custom PC and all the shit should arrive on Tuesday.

Let's do dis.

zsswimmer said:

Should play BC2 sometime then. Everyone else I know has it for 360. :(

zsswimmer

ph33nix said:
I'm building a custom PC and all the shit should arrive on Tuesday.

Let's do dis.
Specs?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Should play BC2 sometime then. Everyone else I know has it for 360. :(
I bought it on Steam for $5. I was debating about rebuying it on 360.

Marvie_3 said:
I play BC2 on 360. :(

I had it for 360 for awhile and I sold it :lol

I was going to trade Blops in for it but I saw the Steam sale for $5. It runs surprisingly well on my laptop on the high settings :)

Although the transition from 360 to PC shooters is always difficult to me, dunno why. I have fun loading up c4 onto buggies and suicide running into tanks, ala BF2 =]

zsswimmer said:
Specs?

I bought it on Steam for $5. I was debating about rebuying it on 360.

I had it for 360 for awhile and I sold it :lol

I was going to trade Blops in for it but I saw the Steam sale for $5. It runs surprisingly well on my laptop on the high settings :)

Although the transition from 360 to PC shooters is always difficult to me, dunno why. I have fun loading up c4 onto buggies and suicide running into tanks, ala BF2 =]
What's your Steam ID?

well i hope the GAF team still shows support. I've extremely late to the party, but have not played with a team that actually plays like a team rather than being puck hogs.

Giant Robot said:
well i hope the GAF team still shows support. I've extremely late to the party, but have not played with a team that actually plays like a team rather than being puck hogs.

you calling us puckhogs new guy? :D

sorry we havent been able to play much with you, me and marvie are usually the only ones on late enough to link up with you at a decent hour out in San Jose, but I've been frustrated with the game lately (as you prob read) and just never feel like playing that late after our set of evening games (10 -12pm EST usually) goes to shit

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:

sorry we havent been able to play much with you, me and marvie are usually the only ones on late enough to link up with you at a decent hour out in San Jose, but I've been frustrated with the game lately (as you prob read) and just never feel like playing that late after our set of evening games (10 -12pm EST usually) goes to shit
Maybe you guys just need to start playing later. Then I could play more. :D

Marvie_3 said:
Maybe you guys just need to start playing later. Then I could play more. :D

most normal human beings try to get to sleep before midnight, as they have jobs and families. We don't all just sit around all day and write motivational speeches for a living like you do...

TheVisualizer said:

haha, noooo. Every other people i play with online, especially the HF Boards Sharks, are fucking puck hogs, play amoeba hockey, and leave their zones. With The Working Class Gypsies theres a lot of good set ups and chemistry that makes the game enjoyable and rewarding.

Sucks that I'm the only west coast player on the team, but I normally get on around 8-9pm PST. I'll try and make it earlier around 7pm PST so I can get a few games with you guys.

Giant Robot said:
haha, noooo. Every other people i play with online, especially the HF Boards Sharks, are fucking puck hogs, play amoeba hockey, and leave their zones. With The Working Class Gypsies theres a lot of good set ups and chemistry that makes the game enjoyable and rewarding.

Sucks that I'm the only west coast player on the team, but I normally get on around 8-9pm PST. I'll try and make it earlier around 7pm PST so I can get a few games with you guys.

we are usually still going strong between 8-9pm PST most nights

Top Bottom