• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

zsswimmer

Nozdeuce said:
Pretty much, I in no way dispute it being my fault. I mostly just fear cpu passing to try to super hog it. I've also just not been playing well period.
Both the CPU d and myself are usually very open if you enter the zone along the boards. IDK which camera angle you use but 'Custom 3' or overhead is a good one to see where everyone is on the ice. It's not your fault though, I could've prevented some of those goals today. CPU has been REALLY shitty lately.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
zsswimmer said:
Both the CPU d and myself are usually very open if you enter the zone along the boards. IDK which camera angle you use but 'Custom 3' or overhead is a good one to see where everyone is on the ice. It's not your fault though, I could've prevented some of those goals today. CPU has been REALLY shitty lately.
Yarr, I know, I try to pass it back when I think to. It also doesn't help my passes tend to be heinously bad. Sometimes when trying to pass straight back along the boards to you it'll go completely sideways to the far point. So god damn painful.

I haven't actually ignored what you wrote in either of your last posts, it is stuff I normally have no problem with, just really haven't been playing like myself lately. I don't normally float around aimlessly like I have been, but with two cpu forwards theyre also sooo high up the ice it's throwing me off a bit I think. Another problem I think I'm having is the way the two cpu forwards setup, theyve been tending to crowd up in one corner which leaves next to nothing for cycling. I'm usually the one that's pro cycling :( Usually with just the 1 cpu forward they just magically fix any fuckups I tend to have in the offensive end, grabbing a pass that went screwy or getting it in the corners. I just really havent been playing well.

I totally hate the cpu, which is the main reason for me hanging onto the puck as much as I have been. So fucking annoying when I go to pass it over to the cpu for a cross crease or something and the cpu just sails off into the corner without shooting or some other horseshit. Cpu fucks me everytime.

zsswimmer said:
We got to work on the turnovers my man. First things first, I think you are trying to carry the team's offense on your back, which certainly should not be the way to do it. You could probably cut half your turnovers [there are a lot ;)] by throwing it down to the dman.

Jamming the puck in the middle seems to be this entire team's offense, its not just you, everyone likes to get it to the slot and shoot. Problem is that half the time you are poke checked or hit off the puck, resulting in zero offense.

Cycling the puck is a much better way to get a forecheck going. Get the human players to start moving out of their positions, opening up the ice. The point is being neglected, its true that not a lot of goals are probably going to be scored, but it opens up potential rebounds that could be easily put in for a forward in the right place.

We have been constantly going to OT in 1-1 and 2-2 games, and I feel that^ is precisely why we are having to 'grind' out games. Also, the lack of a regular center is killing us, and makes the games we play in last twice as long. The other team wins the faceoffs, shoots the puck, goalie covers, rinse and repeat.

Finally, you fuckers that don't ever play should start playing!

It'll never happen. I always get yelled at for cycling the puck instead of just throwing/crashing the net.

Nozdeuce

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It'll never happen. I always get yelled at for cycling the puck instead of just throwing/crashing the net.
As puck getting slav...defense, cycling is good because it means you're getting it to me or marvie, and we're amazing

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Huh? What moves are those?
Oh wait. I forgot you don't have any moves! ZING!

Nozdeuce said:
As puck getting slav...defense, cycling is good because it means you're getting it to me or marvie, and we're amazing
Damn right! Although, swim was quite the offensive beast in the playoffs. He's like our secret weapon.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Oh wait. I forgot you don't have any moves! ZING!

Damn right! Although, swim was quite the offensive beast in the playoffs. He's like our secret weapon.
Gotta load up the Howitzer cannon every once and awhile bro

that last game was bullshit. elite champs my hairy asshole.

in that 3rd period both sides had pretty good goalie play but wtf we had it so close countless times. and that last goal by them i'm pretty sure was an AI fuckup

fuck that

Nozdeuce

ph33nix said:
that last game was bullshit. elite champs my hairy asshole.

in that 3rd period both sides had pretty good goalie play but wtf we had it so close countless times. and that last goal by them i'm pretty sure was an AI fuckup

fuck that
Yeah we got bailed out a few times in the 3rd by our goalie, but holy shit could I hit more posts? We had soooo many scoring chances that didn't go in, more than they did I'd say. And we didn't get the two bullshit goals they did, from behind the net and the goalie pass. So lame

zsswimmer

I'll probably be on around 10ish, after Thrash/Devils game, and I'll try to play when Marvie and Noz get on ;).

Had a couple of OTP games, 6 on 6, where everyone was fucking awesome. Other d-man pulled back when I had the slapshot winded up and pinched when needed, centers playing defensively, forwards passing to the point, and decent human goalies. I got 'stuck' with this same group for about 3 games in a row. Notched 2 goals :). Needless to say, it was a pleasantly good time.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
I'll probably be on around 10ish, after Thrash/Devils game, and I'll try to play when Marvie and Noz get on ;).

Had a couple of OTP games, 6 on 6, where everyone was fucking awesome. Other d-man pulled back when I had the slapshot winded up and pinched when needed, centers playing defensively, forwards passing to the point, and decent human goalies. I got 'stuck' with this same group for about 3 games in a row. Notched 2 goals :). Needless to say, it was a pleasantly good time.

Feelsgoodman.jpg
Good to hear I didn't kill you, was worried you got Viz'd

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:

Feelsgoodman.jpg
I can't even remember the last decent OTP game I played.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
I can't even remember the last decent OTP game I played.
Which made it fucking awesome. It's one of those things where you feel like if the game was played like this every time (no glitch goals, no 50,000 hits in one game), NHL 11 would be the best game ever. Right now the only game I have (again), so I'm forced to love it :eek:

Just passed 800 games, 822 to be exact, and still maintaining a B- with almost 500 OTP games. I think I love hockey too much :-(

6 on 6 is usually so shitty that its almost clockwork how it runs:
1. 6 on 6 in lobby
2. Forwards can't get position (although a big fault of EA not to introduce different player builds thru all position)
3. The forwards quit, people see other people quit, so they quit.
4. Or the game goes in 6on6, goal is scored in the first 2 minutes, about 3 people quit, forcing the other remaining members to quit.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Nozdeuce said:
Good to hear I didn't kill you, was worried you got Viz'd
Haha, no it had nothing to do with you. I've been playing OTP but I just got burnt out of playing 2v2, it usually doesn't happen too often. I have 10x more fun with 3v3 or 4v4, just because it actually relies heavily on user team play and not seeing how can be the first to glitch the goal top shelf. Those OTP games today though really hit the spot in terms of reinvigorating NHL 11 love

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Which made it fucking awesome. It's one of those things where you feel like if the game was played like this every time (no glitch goals, no 50,000 hits in one game), NHL 11 would be the best game ever. Right now the only game I have (again), so I'm forced to love it :eek:

Just passed 800 games, 822 to be exact, and still maintaining a B- with almost 500 OTP games. I think I love hockey too much :-(

6 on 6 is usually so shitty that its almost clockwork how it runs:
1. 6 on 6 in lobby
2. Forwards can't get position (although a big fault of EA not to introduce different player builds thru all position)
3. The forwards quit, people see other people quit, so they quit.
4. Or the game goes in 6on6, goal is scored in the first 2 minutes, about 3 people quit, forcing the other remaining members to quit.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Haha, no it had nothing to do with you. I've been playing OTP but I just got burnt out of playing 2v2, it usually doesn't happen too often. I have 10x more fun with 3v3 or 4v4, just because it actually relies heavily on user team play and not seeing how can be the first to glitch the goal top shelf. Those OTP games today though really hit the spot in terms of reinvigorating NHL 11 love
Welcome to the club.

If you count all the game I rage quit out of, I would have been at about 2000 in NHL 10. :lol

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:

Feelsbadman.jpg

I have to disagree on the basis of magnetic sticks/pucks/passes that are deflected MIRACULOUSLY onto the stick of a teammate. The game can be played well, and it can be played dirty, and it's far more compelling for everyone involved if it's the former. But the game still has several critically retarded flaws. Its insane how many slow rollers have handcuffed me rolling ever so slowly through my players skates. But then out of fucking nowhere I'll bat a 100mph slapshot out of the air with my stick and fly down the ice with it. They need to unfuck puck control et al before it can truly shine.

I'm glad you're still alive, I've missed you on defense <3

zsswimmer

Nozdeuce said:
I have to disagree on the basis of magnetic sticks/pucks/passes that are deflected MIRACULOUSLY onto the stick of a teammate. The game can be played well, and it can be played dirty, and it's far more compelling for everyone involved if it's the former. But the game still has several critically retarded flaws. Its insane how many slow rollers have handcuffed me rolling ever so slowly through my players skates. But then out of fucking nowhere I'll bat a 100mph slapshot out of the air with my stick and fly down the ice with it. They need to unfuck puck control et al before it can truly shine.

I'm glad you're still alive, I've missed you on defense <3
Yes I agree I'm just saying, anytime I play 2v2 in OTP it literally is battle of the deke thru the AI defender and cheesing the top shelf. But I suppose you have to play that way since EA will not do anything about it. I will buy the NHL 12 game regardless, I'm a slave to this game D:

Anyways, my good mood was slightly faltered since the Thrashers had their game tying goal taken away from them with the high stick ruling.

I'm about to get on.

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
Yes I agree I'm just saying, anytime I play 2v2 in OTP it literally is battle of the deke thru the AI defender and cheesing the top shelf. But I suppose you have to play that way since EA will not do anything about it. I will buy the NHL 12 game regardless, I'm a slave to this game D:

Anyways, my good mood was slightly faltered since the Thrashers had their game tying goal taken away from them with the high stick ruling.

I'm about to get on.
Wasn't disagreeing, I think 2v2 need two forwards, at least it did last year.

I can play now but apparently Marvie is awol for now, sooo I'm game if you or but if not it's cool.

zsswimmer

Nozdeuce said:
Wasn't disagreeing, I think 2v2 need two forwards, at least it did last year.

I can play now but apparently Marvie is awol for now, sooo I'm game if you or but if not it's cool.
I'm in a game right now, about to head into the 3rd. Manchot is online so we could do a 3 player game :)

zsswimmer

Alright guys, time for a heated conclusion I've come to realize playing in the club these months after the absence of Vis. Let me first say I enjoy playing with all of you guys, I'm glad to have found this club and I will never delete myself from the club roster, unless the club is eventually disbanded. Prepare for a bold and italic infested :)p) coming up next.

I know a lot of you guys were here in this club in NHL 10 and I can understood if this might aggravate anyone coming from a 'newer' player, but I feel like this cannot go on. Back in the earlier portion of this club's life in NHL 11, we were a decent team. Some of the vets had rejoined and I just found out about it and joined myself. As the season went on into November and December, we were a good fucking team. We went into the elite divisions and posted monthly records like (est) 35-x, pretty damn admirable.

As we start this year, its pretty clear to me we are nowhere near that level anymore. We are a bad 'team', and I put team in the apostrophes because we hardly are even a team anymore. After Vis left, hardly anyone played anymore, save for occasional weekend get together or playoffs, which always draw a crowd. I have to get something off my chest here, our play in club has been horrific.

Let me say we will never be a good team unless we play like an actual fucking team. You know how badly we got beat tonight, even though the scoreboard didn't indicate? The team who played as the Sharks cycled the puck, passing it up and down the boards to the d, back to the forwards, sometimes into the slots and sometimes to set up a one-timer. If we ever want to start to build up a decent team again, this is what we must do. One might say, well we won the Amateur Division playoffs, we are a decent team. Bullshit, we have played in the elite division playoffs many times, and while I enjoyed the success we had earlier this year, thats like a non-special needs person competing and winning in the Special Olympics. What do we take outta that? Amateur divisions are worse off than OTP scrubs.

There has got to be a change. I thought I was getting burned out of club, it has come to my realization that I actually ENJOY OTP BETTER than playing club. You know why? It's because even in some of the 3v3 or 4v4 games, people actually will pass the puck around.

Now I know I played like shit in the first two games, but the last one (I played), I felt sound defensively. But here in lies the problem: I had 0 shots on goal. This whole rant might feel selfish, and you are possibly right. But think this way guys, If I have 0 shots on goal then what about the: other CPU defenseman or CPU center? Like it or not, CPU's can help offensively. What does not help offensively is dragging the puck to the center of slot, where all the defense has already collapsed to, and try to force a play out of nothing. By cycling the puck, we create space to work with and get fancy with.

Like I said, we will be absolute NOTHING without proper puck play. I think everyone, including myself, could do with really analyzing a hockey game, seeing how the forwards and defenseman go low and high while pressuring on the forecheck. There may be always 'those games', but if your team controls the puck the most, then there is a damn good chance for winning.

Another last thing. Center position. We desperately need one. The lower divisions might not use on, sometimes not even the higher ones, but like I said earlier, control the puck more and the games become easier. We have a real problem against good teams. They ALWAYS win the offensive zone faceoffs and we ALWAYS lose ours. Someone (and someone that plays often) needs to start to practice.

Sorry if this rant comes off 'high horsish', but I believe this is the true problem with this club. I probably won't play in club for awhile, I've been doing fine in OTP. I won't quit from club though, I'm not a quitter and I do enjoy the time spent playing with you guys. Thanks for reading.

Nozdeuce

Swim, if you have a problem with how I'm playing you can name names, I don't mind and it'll only prove beneficial. Many of the things you've brought up are seemingly directed at me, which is fine. However, you've what, scored more goals playing in the few games with me the last month than you ever did total?

Now as a cranky Vet it's my turn to vent. Last year I sucked, but the only constant was me and my friend playing amazingly well as an offensive pairing, and later me and pheenix, and me/pheenix/my friend being totally fuck awesome. Our system was get open, make passes, score goals. None of us ever played in position and we racked up the wins to show for it. The Gaf team's first month with a winning record was after me and friend joined. So that's fine. Frankly playing with Marvie then was kinda painful, he was always in his proper position, to the detriment of getting offense going.

So that's last year. This year friend and me did great, scored goals in bunches, I have shitloads more goals in far far far fewer games than last season, everything was going well. Joined gaf team, that's cool too, Marvie has forgone positioning in order to be more open and available for making and receiving passes and it's great. We've scored like a trillion goals. Total zen shit, I zig, he zags, puck goes in net. God damn flawless.

The problem seems to be when we take away a piece of the puzzle, Marvie, Pheenix, the offense goes to shit. We scored what? 3? 4 goals all night Swim? First game Marvie's on we scored that many in the first game. That last game you played was horrible Swim, I can't believe our second best scoring chance after my penalty shot goal was me shooting it in from outside the zone.

When Pheenix and Marvie and Me are playing at our best, it's all completely random. Everyone is horribley out of position, one person is KOing someone and the other is picking up the loose puck, while the former goes and gets into position.

Marvie_3

Banned
Fuckin garbage loss there. Would have won had it not been for a turnover in our own D zone and the D being nowhere to be found after that. They were a top 500 team and I think overall we didn't do too bad. One fuckup cost us the game though.

zsswimmer said:
WTF marvie you always complain about playing games but youre on Netflix. The fuck?
I was eating quick. :D

zsswimmer said:
I know a lot of you guys were here in this club in NHL 10 and I can understood if this might aggravate anyone coming from a 'newer' player, but I feel like this cannot go on.
You've put in the time and effort needed to have a say in how this team goes. Besides, if someone is fucking up I would hope we're all man enough to take some criticism. That's how we learn and get better as a team.

zsswimmer said:
Lots of words
No, you're absolutely right. In Noz's and my defense though, we can make that shitty offense work with good success. I know where he is at all times and he knows where I am. There are times we definitely force it too much but there are times when there isn't much else to do with the puck. Viz was always in the proper position behind me so I knew I had an outlet. It's kind of hard to make a pass over the the RD from down in the wing unless I have a lot of room. Our defense needs to make sure they're covering the boards near the puck so we have an option to pass back. Also, having a mic to let us know you're open helps too. We can't always see the whole ice. ;)

I can try playing center even though I'm absolutely horrible on the faceoffs. Or, you know, Viz could come back and do it. :D

Nozdeuce

I've frankly been playing too much, or at least playing when I shouldn't have been. Kinda felt bad about Swim always posting about no one being on, or not being able to play with us at night. Not blaming him in anyway, just saying that when I'm not truly feeling like playing NHL my game goes to shit.

One thing I noticed over the weekend, and again tonight (and I don't know if it's intentional or the game fucking up as it so often does) is Manchot misses some really great chances to spring people through the neutral zone. Noticed Pheenix was free and clear once or twice and never got the puck passed to him to spring him. Happened with me tonight too, which is weird since normally you do such a great job moving the puck around. My problem with passing is it decides to ignore who I'm aiming at and wings it to someone different, or I spam pass but it's too late and I get blown up.

Marvie_3 said:
In Noz's and my defense though, we can make that shitty offense work with good success. I know where he is at all times and he knows where I am.
Fuck that, I apologize for nothing. We either blow the opponent out or we keep it competitive long enough for them to get a bullshit goal from behind the net or something stupid. It's our offense that brings Swim his cycling, just like it did in the playoffs where he scored so many goals. We have 0 problem dropping a 3rd forward in. Playing with Sef we all scored a bunch, playing with Laserbot we all scored a bunch, with Pheenix we obviously score a bunch. Problem is when the line is broken up.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Fuck that, I apologize for nothing. We either blow the opponent out or we keep it competitive long enough for them to get a bullshit goal from behind the net or something stupid. It's our offense that brings Swim his cycling, just like it did in the playoffs where he scored so many goals. We have 0 problem dropping a 3rd forward in. Playing with Sef we all scored a bunch, playing with Laserbot we all scored a bunch, with Pheenix we obviously score a bunch.
I disagree. We don't cycle for shit anymore. In the playoffs we were cycling the puck beautifully and that's where a lot of our goals came from. The way we were moving the puck in the playoffs, few teams would have stood a chance. Had we played the "middle or bust" offense, there's no way we win those games as easily as we did.

Nozdeuce said:
Problem is when the line is broken up or has Manchot in it.
Fixed. ;)

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
I disagree. We don't cycle for shit anymore. In the playoffs we were cycling the puck beautifully and that's where a lot of our goals came from. The way we were moving the puck in the playoffs, few teams would have stood a chance. Had we played the "middle or bust" offense, there's no way we win those games as easily as we did.
So then lets cycle more? To me us not cycling is a more general failing that there aren't other people open to pass to successfully to even begin, if we could manage that we could do whatever the fuck we want with the puck from there. I have no problem moving it around, my problem is how I've been trying to move it around lately has all been 100% reactionary. I pass because I'm about to get clobbered, so options are limited, so pass fails. I might be blind and just not be seeing Swim at the point, but to me it seems like he's mostly not there. Which isn't a failing of his part, it's that we can't get anything more than the most frantic of stuff going so he has no time to get there.

The easiest solution is for me to just never take it in, I guess.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
So then lets cycle more? To me us not cycling is a more general failing that there aren't other people open to pass to successfully to even begin, if we could manage that we could do whatever the fuck we want with the puck from there. I have no problem moving it around, my problem is how I've been trying to move it around lately has all been 100% reactionary. I pass because I'm about to get clobbered, so options are limited, so pass fails. I might be blind and just not be seeing Swim at the point, but to me it seems like he's mostly not there. Which isn't a failing of his part, it's that we can't get anything more than the most frantic of stuff going so he has no time to get there.

The easiest solution is for me to just never take it in, I guess.
Way to be a drama queen. ;)

I think a better option would be to do what I do. Take it down into the corner and stall for a few seconds if you have time. I like that swim isn't right on our ass going into the zone and is playing good D. If you can hang in the corner for a couple seconds you can see whats going on in the zone and give the D time to cross the blue line and get set up. I know there isn't always time to do that but when the opportunity to check out the whole ice comes up you have to take it. If there's nothing in the slot open, the D should be in position for a pass by then. They can cycle it across or drop it back down.

Viz and I had some good plays where we'd work the puck along the boards and try to get the defense to overplay us.

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
Way to be a drama queen. ;)

I think a better option would be to do what I do. Take it down into the corner and stall for a few seconds if you have time. I like that swim isn't right on our ass going into the zone and is playing good D. If you can hang in the corner for a couple seconds you can see whats going on in the zone and give the D time to cross the blue line and get set up. I know there isn't always time to do that but when the opportunity to check out the whole ice comes up you have to take it. If there's nothing in the slot open, the D should be in position for a pass by then. They can cycle it across or drop it back down.

Viz and I had some good plays where we'd work the puck along the boards and try to get the defense to overplay us.
God willing it'll never come to that, but doable.

Marvie_3 said:
I updated the records. Noz is moving up the charts faster than Milli Vanilli.
The hits are all me, but the goals and assists are the team's fault. 90% of my goals/assists are absolute gifts

Top Bottom