• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 |OT| - Same glitches, different physics

Giard

What will the Off/Def Awareness and Discipline stats do for EASHL players?
I would've thought awareness would increase the AI of a cpu-controlled skater.

EDIT: Don't really know the impact of Aggression too.

RS4-

I think aggression was tied into your willingness to fight.

I don't know about the other ones as they seemed dependant on the user lol.

Giard

RS4- said:

Wasn't that decided when you created your player? I think there was a "Fighting" part, and you chose between never, sometimes or always. Something like that.

RS4-

Yeah that was there too. I think it's just how easy it is to get into one after you facewash someone or they give you one.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:

Aggressiveness was linked to the intimidation. The higher your aggression, the more you intimidated an opponent after a check.

I'd guess that OFF/DEF awareness will have some effect on your attributes when you're in the offensive or defensive zones. Maybe some effect on AI teammates too.

Giard

Marvie_3 said:
Aggressiveness was linked to the intimidation. The higher your aggression, the more you intimidated an opponent after a check.

I'd guess that OFF/DEF awareness will have some effect on your attributes when you're in the offensive or defensive zones. Maybe some effect on AI teammates too.

What did intimidation do?

Marvie_3

Banned
Giard said:
What did intimidation do?
Basically, the more your player was hit and knocked down, the more intimidated he got. It would be harder to catch passes and shoot accurately. It really just made an unbalanced game even more unbalanced.

epik

I have it already :)

I'm not sure if any of you remember .. but I posted before about going to the community event :)

The game is excellent in it's full form.

HUT is very exciting, just have to wait for launch because there's noone really playing online heh.

here's proof btw:
45495_710355706031_172007883_41850117_1781408_n.jpg

The embargo seems to have been lifted for my experience with the game when I played it in may at EA SPORTS's facility, so I can answer any questions you guys have.

Marvie_3

Banned
epik said:
I have it already :)

I'm not sure if any of you remember .. but I posted before about going to the community event :)

The game is excellent in it's full form.

HUT is very exciting, just have to wait for launch because there's noone really playing online heh.

here's proof btw:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs192.ash2/45495_710355706031_172007883_41850117_1781408_n.jpg[IMG]

The embargo seems to have been lifted for my experience with the game when I played it in may at EA SPORTS's facility, so I can answer any questions you guys have.[/QUOTE]
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU.

Kidding. I'm jealous. :(

X26

Banned
Epik: I you've played any be a pro yet epik, have they made any actual changes outside starting in the chl? BAP in 09 was great because it was new, but 10 added nothing and it was jsut too barebones and lacking in personality. Same deal in 11?

Mike Works said:
Seventy fucking dollars?? Jesus christ!

US/CDN $ reaches parity, ~1yr to even up prices. CDN $ drops back down a few cents, retailers take 0.02sec to reinstate the arbitrary $10 premium. O Caaaaanada

epik

X26 said:
Epik: I you've played any be a pro yet epik, have they made any actual changes outside starting in the chl? BAP in 09 was great because it was new, but 10 added nothing and it was jsut too barebones and lacking in personality. Same deal in 11?

US/CDN $ reaches parity, ~1yr to even up prices. CDN $ drops back down a few cents, retailers take 0.02sec to reinstate the arbitrary $10 premium. O Caaaaanada

My impression with Be a Pro, when I played the game in Vancouver was that it was the same. They substituted the rookie game, with the CHL integration. You get to pick what team you want to start with. ie. I chose the london knights.

So far it seems the same, however; they did improve the hub so there's more information floating around, about the league and injuries and stats and stuff.

RS4-

oh fuck did you go to that rookies thing yesterday?

Fuck I should have gone if it meant getting a copy!

edit - nm, you played it in Vancouver :lol

I've already been preparing some jersey concepts for the NHL 11 EASHL team I belong to with the NHL 10 offline create-a-team. So glad theres custom jerseys in EASHL finally for NHL 11.

IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg

RS4-

Not even 2 minutes in, Grabovski gets a 5 min game misconduct for checking from behind...

NHL 11, I love you already.

I'll probably pick this up sometime.

Still waiting for a hockey game where I can take the '84-'85 Oilers to the cup (with name/jersey-accurate commentary). Alas.

RS4-

2 games in on all-star, default sliders and settings (uhh, I think default is sim style play?)

- hit numbers are way too high and strong
- computer AI is pretty good when it comes to smothering your players
- not as many tripping, high sticking penalties as last year (then again I'm only 2 games in)

It doesn't feel like there are as many rebounds on soft shots like last year either and points from the shot don't go in 90% of the time like the did in the demo.

Going to play some more GM mode and see what happens.

edit - after your games, they have "top highlights" like checks and goals

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
2 games in on all-star, default sliders and settings (uhh, I think default is sim style play?)

- not as many tripping, high sticking penalties as last year (then again I'm only 2 games in)

It doesn't feel like there are as many rebounds on soft shots like last year either and points from the shot don't go in 90% of the time like the did in the demo.

What about the logos?!?!?!?!? THE LOGOS!?!?!?!?

RS4- said:

How are the goalies holding up? Leighton and Niemi flopped around a lot especially when the puck was walked in from the corner horizontally towards the net in the demo on All-Star and Superstar difficulty.

RS4-

TheVisualizer said:
How are the goalies holding up? Leighton and Niemi flopped around a lot especially when the puck was walked in from the corner horizontally towards the net in the demo on All-Star and Superstar difficulty.

I picked up two goals like that, against Price and might've been Miller on the Sabres. I'll do some more testing and see how it holds up in general.

Oh and every goal that has been scored on me is the same old, high, glove side stuff from up close off giveaways and rebounds :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
I picked up two goals like that, against Price and might've been Miller on the Sabres. I'll do some more testing and see how it holds up in general.

Oh and every goal that has been scored on me is the same old, high, glove side stuff from up close off giveaways and rebounds :lol
I love how in EA Land, nobody ever shoots high or wide. The top corners are always hit. It's almost magical.....

RS4-

Logos:
http://imgur.com/7Iytg.jpg
http://imgur.com/PdsKw.jpg

N8haK.png

So yeah, sorry for the shit quality :lol

Yeah Marvie, goals are pretty messy, it's just not as bad as last year...so far. Uhh, not sure if I've seen anything worth mentioning yet other than sticks shattering if they get in the way of some shots.

I still can't score on breakaways and shootouts though :D

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
Logos:
http://imgur.com/7Iytg.jpg
http://imgur.com/PdsKw.jpg

http://imgur.com/N8haK.png[IMG]

So yeah, sorry for the shit quality :lol

Yeah Marvie, goals are pretty messy, it's just not as bad as last year...so far. Uhh, not sure if I've seen anything worth mentioning yet other than sticks shattering if they get in the way of some shots.

I still can't score on breakaways and shootouts though :D[/QUOTE]
Thanks man. Those are some turrible logos. :lol

However, I did love the shark in the 2nd pic so much that I made him my avatar. :lol

Marvie_3 said:
Thanks man. Those are some turrible logos. :lol

However, I did love the shark in the 2nd pic so much that I made him my avatar. :lol

that shark logo would be really fitting as san joses new third alternate jersey to only be worn in the playoffs

RS4-

Marvie_3 said:
RS4-, did they expand the amount of areas you can customize on each jersey?
Pretty sure they did. You can do individual fingers on the gloves, all the trim and sections of the jerseys.

I could be wrong though, it's been like a year since I bothered with creating a player.

The stupid wristsr from the slot, top corner...yup still there.

How can they not fix stuff like that? They've had a year to make a new game and yet stuff like that still exists... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

RS4- said:

How much more in-depth is Be a GM mode so far, in terms of managing your AHL team and the other players you have rights to. Can you send them to play in Europe/CHL?

Edit: Another question, does Be a GM start with the 2010 draft? That seems really dumb if so, since all the players should already be in the game, so it's like you'd be doubling up the 2010 draft.

RS4-

You can only call/send players to your AHL team; there's the whole RFA/UFA thing with matching and tending offers. You can set the training camp-off season focus? of your players for your big club and farm team, for example: Kaberle can work shooting, or stick handling, etc.

I think it's this years draft, actually, I don't remember for sure since my Leafs didn't have a single pick in the first round as usual.

But I'll edit this post and run a new Be a GM season and see who's in the draft.

edit - yup, you can start at the 2010 draft (but the players that were picked this year: Hall, Seguin, etc are already on their respective teams), not sure why that was included. It goes from the CHL prospects game -> draft -> offseason stuff -> preseason

So even though the Bruins already took Seguin with the second pick, if you want to do the draft in the game, they still have Seguin and the second pick :lol

Of course you can always start at the beginning of the season

Marvie_3

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
I don't think I've ever had that happen to me in 08, 09, 10, or 11 demo.
The first time I saw it was in NHL 98 for PC. I've seen it in every version of the NHL series I've played since. :lol

-Pyromaniac- said:
Fucking hell....I really wish they just fixed the wrister and the slapshot goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ITX9gajos

they just need to have a seat for 2 minutes, watch that, then DEAL WITH IT. Also the short side deke, it's wayyyyyyy too easy.
There's no way he's playing on a high difficulty. If you bump it up to All-Star (default setting for online) or higher, it's much harder to do any of that stuff. Fixing the goalies and getting rid of the absurd shooting accuracy would get rid of most of that crap though.

Marvie_3 said:
The first time I saw it was in NHL 98 for PC. I've seen it in every version of the NHL series I've played since. :lol

There's no way he's playing on a high difficulty. If you bump it up to All-Star (default setting for online) or higher, it's much harder to do any of that stuff. Fixing the goalies and getting rid of the absurd shooting accuracy would get rid of most of that crap though.
Deking the goalie out works on any difficulty but I agree that upping it would help reduce the chances of them working. But still I always hope for something more permanent.

Ah well, can't wait till Tuesday.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmOLwl1oKY :lol

Gotta love season ending injuries
That video just makes me wish EA would hurry up with the skating physics. The stopping and starting is still way too fast.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Deking the goalie out works on any difficulty but I agree that upping it would help reduce the chances of them working. But still I always hope for something more permanent.

Ah well, can't wait till Tuesday.
True.

Another thing I wish they'd do is fix the magnet puck. Too much stickhandling should make you lose control of the puck and drop your passing/shooting accuracy down a lot.

Chrange

Banned
I wish the Be A Pro mode line promotion/demotion made any kind of sense. Drafted 11th overall, you're placed on the first line? Okay, could happen. Five games into the season, you're leading the league in goals, third in assists, and first in points. You're also leading the league in plus/minus.

Before the sixth game, you get...the talk. Drafted with expectations...blah blah blah...kind of effort they want to see...blah blah blah...earn your way back to the first line...

Then it doesn't seem to matter that you don't change how you play at all (helped by the way that, despite the demotion, your ice time doesn't seem to suffer at all) you'll have 'earned' your way back to the first line in two or three games.

That aspect of the mode has always puzzled me. I mean if I choose to be an enforcer, I'm willingly choosing to play those limited minutes, so why am I getting the first line's soft minutes?

Top Bottom