• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 |OT| - Same glitches, different physics

expy

Banned
Instead of adding in the CHL, I'd rather they spend that time they used up to polish up the NHL aspect of the game.

expy said:
Instead of adding in the CHL, I'd rather they spend that time they used up to polish up the NHL aspect of the game.

I think they did, no longer the way you could score is through that one time pass but wrist shots and slappers finally go in now. I also love the fact that you can get punished for pinching in and going for the hit instead of staying back and breakout passes are much more important now.

I traded NHL 10 in after a couple of weeks, but I am really feeling this one, especially the HUT mode, anyone know if you could take your HUT team online and play against other HUT teams?

Marvie_3

Banned
expy said:
Agreed. They're still using a 4+ year old engine for this game, so I can't see that changing until after they've fully implemented their physics engine for NHL 13.

RS4-

I'm not sure about any of the players, other than that Brad Cooper kid who is fortunately in the FA pool only.

Some GM trades I got to make
- schenn + some late round pick for Erik Johnson
- schenn or kaberle + late pick for either Stamkos or Hedman

could probably make that 2+1 for the Lightning pair.

Oh yeah, got to sign Ilya too; forgot how I managed to get like 11 million under the cap and still have around 3-4 mill left.

Weird things I've noticed
- some players in the draft show up multiple times. Some Saulnier kid was picked like 3x in the same round.

- calling up and sending players down is weird. I have Kadri under contract, but he isn't on my Leafs or Marlies roster :lol

Chrange

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
I think they did, no longer the way you could score is through that one time pass but wrist shots and slappers finally go in now. I also love the fact that you can get punished for pinching in and going for the hit instead of staying back and breakout passes are much more important now.

I traded NHL 10 in after a couple of weeks, but I am really feeling this one, especially the HUT mode, anyone know if you could take your HUT team online and play against other HUT teams?
Wrist shots/slap shots went in last year...occasionally. They seem to go in at about the same regularity this time around, unless you're shooting from the magic spots just above the hash marks in the slot in which case you can pick the top corners with REMARKABLE accuracy...

Left-handed right winger with the faceoff to the left of the goaltender, center ties up on the draw and the winger skates across and picks the puck up then roofs it. You can do that pretty consistently against the AI and too consistently for my liking against a human as well.

The 'twist' save happens way too much. Not every goaltender is Brodeur (from three years ago) but they all seem to be in this game. It was nice to see a d-man knock it out of the air with his stick one time, even though it seemed like he clipped the tender in the head with his stick in doing so lol

I also like the tip-ins. They seem to happen a decent amount without being sure goals.

Not a huge fan of getting the stick knocked out of my hands or broken at least once a game though. Only really cost me a chance at getting/defending a goal once, but I might have to play with sliders on that one.

shagg_187 said:
WTF I didn't know there is a launch party in Toronto starting 9pm!! I wanna meet Mike Komisarek! :(

I bet it's too late now to line up... :(

I was at Yonge-Dundas around that time and totally forgot that the launch party was starting around that time and headed home

I could be playing NHL Now :eek:

RS4-

Here's my take on playing the AI
- they almost always pass at the last second if you're about to land a poke check
- they'll dance around your body checks with the sidestep
- they'll abuse the short side deke and shots from the slot
- on superstar with default aggression, you will never have a good shot since they're almost always right on top of you
- if there is some distance between you and a defender, they'll mash on the poke check.
- I find it harder to initiate the board pin; I only get it if they start it themselves.

I found if more "realistic" on allstar, maxed out player attribute slider, AI learning and strat changes; toned down hitting power and something else which I don't remember.

Cide

Is it just me or is there no way to do an actual one-timer except for a slapshot one-timer? It seems like they always wait a split second to control the puck before shooting on a cross crease pass for instance. It's annoying

Chrange

Banned
RS4- said:
- they almost always pass at the last second if you're about to land a poke check
- on superstar with default aggression, you will never have a good shot since they're almost always right on top of you
- if there is some distance between you and a defender, they'll mash on the poke check.
- I find it harder to initiate the board pin; I only get it if they start it themselves.

I found if more "realistic" on allstar, maxed out player attribute slider, AI learning and strat changes; toned down hitting power and something else which I don't remember.
I quit trying after I'd always just tap the button and start a fight instead of pinning :lol

Cide

RS4- said:

I agree with all of this. They still pass the puck around in the offensive zone like it's pinball too and there's nothing you can really do except get in the shooting lanes and look for rebounds. I'm still playing around with the sliders to find something I like but in general I'm not impressed with the AI this year.

bran

Woooooooooot

ogxwg6.jpg

2epj6df.jpg

gillFTR

Wow this game is 70$ in canada, EA still doing this shit ???

I like the feel of nhl on 360 better(and alot of people on friends list are from past nhl games), but I'm also more of a trophy guy and this game seems like I could platinum it on ps3.

gillFTR said:
Wow this game is 70$ in canada, EA still doing this shit ???

I like the feel of nhl on 360 better(and alot of people on friends list are from past nhl games), but I'm also more of a trophy guy and this game seems like I could platinum it on ps3.
EA doesn't set that price, it's the BS 'conversion' they still do on the CAN dollar.

Holy hell if you can platy the ps3 do it, I'm a trophy whore and I have no illusions of being able to pull it off.

gillFTR

BobTheFork said:
EA doesn't set that price, it's the BS 'conversion' they still do on the CAN dollar.

Holy hell if you can platy the ps3 do it, I'm a trophy whore and I have no illusions of being able to pull it off.

Im pretty sure EA sets the price the same way sony first party sets the price for 60$. Most publishers do actually only ones thats don't are microsoft, EA, and 2kgames...and it pisses me off.

Alright, I'm going to pick up my copy. I want to be reminded of hockey pucks on the way there so I'm stopping at Burger King for breakfast. I have a class today but I'll be on so any PS3 people send me a message and you can kick my ass for fun.

Marvie_3

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Alright, I'm going to pick up my copy. I want to be reminded of hockey pucks on the way there so I'm stopping at Burger King for breakfast. I have a class today but I'll be on so any PS3 people send me a message and you can kick my ass for fun.
:lol

Giard

Goddamn, the defensive defenseman has so much better defense than the offensive d-man, but the d-man has only slightly better offense than the def. d-man

I'll be making a defensive d-man I guess

bumpkin

Hmm, can anyone with the game confirm just how authentic an intro is for me?

I'm curious if the intro for the Manchester Monarchs (the Kings' AHL affiliate) has the trademark inflatable lion head the players skate out of while "Welcome to the Jungle" plays. :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
bumpkin said:

I'm curious if the intro for the Manchester Monarchs (the Kings' AHL affiliate) has the trademark inflatable lion head the players skate out of while "Welcome to the Jungle" plays. :D

Aren't all the intros the same this year again?

bumpkin said:

I have not played the game yet, but I can pretty much say with absolute certainty none of this happens.

Also, just got back from picking the game up at KMart. They are offering a $20 coupon for future video game purchases (that expires Oct. 2). Also offering coupons when you buy Microsoft Points cards.

bumpkin

Plinko said:
Aren't all the intros the same this year again?
They might be. I just remember hearing somewhere that they were working on the presentation a lot -- trying to make it more authentic -- and figured that would include intros.

...and of course I spent all night playing Disgaea instead of learning the demo so I'm picking it up for the very first time. Tutorial time!

D: What the hell is all this? Just the opening introduction of all the features had me baffled. Seriously, I'm not even sure what mode I should start with.

RS4-

Marvie_3 said:
Anyone try playing OTP yet? Is the lobby still a complete pain in the ass like it was with NHL 10?
Been playing drop in games, not sure how the room looks.

Frame rate is horrible in the corners; cherry picking scrubs that just stand there during the faceoff...pretty exciting!

Faceoff loop is still in

RS4- said:

Frame rate is horrible in the corners; cherry picking scrubs that just stand there during the faceoff...pretty exciting!

Faceoff loop is still in

damn, faceoff loop is back already, that was quick

Giard

So the Bauer pre-order stuff does not seem to unlock all slot 3 equipment....I guess it was worth it if you like green stuff on your guy. :/

Useless pre-order

Chrange

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
I still do this from time to time. :lol
I quit after trying to pin Chara and getting my ass beat down :lol

Caused my first injury though! Took Rafalski out for three weeks with a slapshot to the ankle.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:

Faceoff loop is still in
Welcome to NHL 09.2!

I think NHL 11 broke my launch ps3. I played one game, quit out, and when I came back to play more the screen went black and I can't get a picture now. I've turend it on and off a few times put all I get is black now. I double checked the cables and my tv; it says it's getting a 1080p signal but it's just all black.

edit: well, it looks like the HDMI port or cable died right when I started NHL (weird) because I found my ps2 cables and I'm re connected.

Home

Just had a penalty shot called against me with 3 defenders in between the player and the goalie. :lol

RS4-

Home said:
Just had a penalty shot called against me with 3 defenders in between the player and the goalie. :lol

Yeah there's some really weird stuff going on in the game. Some human goalie flipped a puck into the stands...didn't get called for delay of game :lol

My player just got stuck in the corner in the offensive zone in a be a pro game, could not move at all, could not leave the ice after hitting B, my team was cycling in the neutral zone waiting for me to get out :lol

Kingpen

Tis a sad day for me. I used to relish this day and buy both hockey titles and give you guys a detailed analysis of the 'little things' each title had.

I'm not buying a hockey title this year at all due to several reasons. One, lack of competition, which I think is a bad thing with 2k not able to release one. Two, EA's game is pretty much very similar to how it was in the past. Three - I'm getting married in a few weeks, so I don't have as much time to devote toward this.

I hope you guys all enjoy NHL 11 though, since it basically is the only game out there this year.

Top Bottom