• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 12 |OT| aka NHL 09.3

Giard

Sniper McBlaze said:
This game is fucking SHIT online. Pure steaming shit. The game doesn't reward you for even trying to play realistic. All they do online is wrap arounds that ALWAYS go in not matter where your retarded goalie is positioned.

And why the fuck do all people leave when they see the ratings of my team? It's not that good, but if I'm like less than ten points from my opponents ratings they just leave.

I'm gonna get a stroke if I keep on playing this plastic turd. I'm so close to just breaking the cd in half and throw it away.

Edit: And what's up with everyone lagging like Michael J Fox so you can't even make a useful pass? Gah... So much wrong with this game.

And what about those shitty goal replays? I'd rather just look at pictures from the goal because it's impossible to see what happened anyway because of the low framerate.

That's pretty much why I'm not buying it this year. :p

Could somebody please explain to me how you are supposed to play this game?

I'm trying to get better by playing head-to-head games right now, but I'm not getting anywhere. I just keep oscillating between levels 1 and 4. :(

I am usually dominating the ice in the first period, but I just can't score any goals. No matter what I do - slapshot, wrist shot, aim low, aim high. Nothing. Sometimes I manage to score a goal or two, but that usually happens only if there is complete chaos in front of the net.

Then, in the second period, my defense is starting to get weaker. Due to some reason, I just don't have any players in my zone when the other team is attacking. The CPU-controlled defense guys all rush towards the neutral zone and leave gaping holes that the other team can easily exploit. Luckily, I'm pretty good with my manual goal tending, so I can still keep the game open. However, every now and then a goal comes out of nowhere (usually a distance shot) - there is no chance in hell to make the save.

Finally, in the third period, it all breaks down for me, as my players get more and more tired. :(

This pattern is not set in stone (otherwise I would not be oscillating ;) ) but you get the picture. I don't watch a lot of hockey, but I think I got the basics down on how this game is supposed to be played. But being a long-time FIFA veteran, I constantly feel like I'm missing some very basic features like controlling what my CPU teammates do, or some kind of "finesse shot" or something.

Can somebody offer some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

^^^ I don't know how well you know the game of hockey, but you should familiarize yourself with positioning and puck movement. Once you know how each player is supposed to play their position, then you can anticipate setting up some plays, gaining zones, creating space, playing the boards, etc. There's too many theories and what not, but learn positioning and puck movement first.

Also, your whole team shouldn't get progressively tired and fatigued period by period. They all get to rest in between shifts.

At this point I would suggest you keep your line changes on automatic. Don't worry about doing strategy plays on the fly either.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Giant Robot said:
finally got my game.
Couple of things when playing Season Mode.

1) Where is my TRADE PLAYERS option in Season Mode?

2) Why do I sometimes face-off in the neutral zone after a goalie freezes the puck?

3) Is there no more auto-save after I complete a game? I've loaded my game twice to see that I have not completed a couple of games when in fact I did (exited game to the calendar).
1 - You have to go to the Player Movement section to trade players. At least they let you trade players between teams you don't control in Season Mode now. I still end up taking control of all 30 teams though so I can edit their lines.

2 - Can't help you there, haven't seen that happen yet.

3 - It should auto save, but there's an option I saw that lets you disable this, so go and check to make sure it's turned on. In fact, it might've been a prompt (option) when creating a new Season now that I think about it.

the_korben said:
Could somebody please explain to me how you are supposed to play this game?

I'm trying to get better by playing head-to-head games right now, but I'm not getting anywhere. I just keep oscillating between levels 1 and 4. :(

I am usually dominating the ice in the first period, but I just can't score any goals. No matter what I do - slapshot, wrist shot, aim low, aim high. Nothing. Sometimes I manage to score a goal or two, but that usually happens only if there is complete chaos in front of the net.

Then, in the second period, my defense is starting to get weaker. Due to some reason, I just don't have any players in my zone when the other team is attacking. The CPU-controlled defense guys all rush towards the neutral zone and leave gaping holes that the other team can easily exploit. Luckily, I'm pretty good with my manual goal tending, so I can still keep the game open. However, every now and then a goal comes out of nowhere (usually a distance shot) - there is no chance in hell to make the save.

Finally, in the third period, it all breaks down for me, as my players get more and more tired. :(

This pattern is not set in stone (otherwise I would not be oscillating ;) ) but you get the picture. I don't watch a lot of hockey, but I think I got the basics down on how this game is supposed to be played. But being a long-time FIFA veteran, I constantly feel like I'm missing some very basic features like controlling what my CPU teammates do, or some kind of "finesse shot" or something.

Can somebody offer some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.
it's funny, my main complaint is that the games are still too easy for me, personally.

But like said above, you just need to familiarize yourself with the game of hockey. Once you understand player types and positioning, and how to cycle in the offensive zone properly, it will all become second nature. Also keep track of your lines, switch them in and out every whistle or if it's necessary. I pretty much always switch out if the bar is yellow, I like short shifts.

Just work on your cycling, for a noob I would practice cycling back to the point and just slapping it at the net, then once you have that down you can work on cycling it around to other players, in the slot for instance and try to pick a corner or something, or to someone on the side or behind the the goal so you can quickly drive the net with a good forehand backhand.

for reference: here is a video of me cycling, just messing around: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9596541

Not trying to pimp my vids btw, because if I was doing that, I would pimp out the most technically complex and realistic deke ever done: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/36733337

Thanks for the advice, guys. At least it seems I didn't miss any fundamental control features. I guess I'll have to watch some more hockey games then. ;)

Edit: Thanks for linking the video, Pyro. Now I know what "cycling" means ;D.

here's another good video on basic cycling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnnV78zSpXk

note, that you can still cycle with only 2 people. With 3 it takes a little bit of finesse and anticipation.

basically you'll want to support the puck carrier at all times no matter the situation. The AI does a pretty good job by creating that space for you if you just want to be the receiving guy skating around for the cycle or support until you call for that pass.

also, don't be afraid to "dump and chase" the puck. If you are being cut off in the neutral zone (above the center red line), dump/shoot the puck into the zone. It's best to do this while you are carrying forward momentum so your other wingers can go chase the puck and gain the zone. Dump it diagonally instead of straight ahead.

Giant Robot said:
here's another good video on basic cycling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnnV78zSpXk

note, that you can still cycle with only 2 people. With 3 it takes a little bit of finesse and anticipation.

basically you'll want to support the puck carrier at all times no matter the situation. The AI does a pretty good job by creating that space for you if you just want to be the receiving guy skating around for the cycle or support until you call for that pass.

also, don't be afraid to "dump and chase" the puck. If you are being cut off in the neutral zone (above the center red line), dump/shoot the puck into the zone. It's best to do this while you are carrying forward momentum so your other wingers can go chase the puck and gain the zone. Dump it diagonally instead of straight ahead.

Dump and chase never seems to work for me.

Cycling great, just because it leads to one timers, which is still the best way to score goals since NHL 10 (when the 120mph wraparound scored 95% of the time)

We had another PS3 game again tonight.....but lost again. Hopefully it'll get better with more consistency.

Icefire1424

KnightAttack said:
Dump and chase never seems to work for me.

Cycling great, just because it leads to one timers, which is still the best way to score goals since NHL 10 (when the 120mph wraparound scored 95% of the time)

We had another PS3 game again tonight.....but lost again. Hopefully it'll get better with more consistency.

It's always interesting to watch the different forecheck styles everyone does in game - I really haven't seen the dump and chase implemented that often, but some version of the cycle seems pretty common. Interesting because the cycle (especially closer towards the blue line in the offesive zone) is more of a Russian / European hockey strategy, and the Dump and Chase more of an American forecheck. Either means there's a ton of Ruskies playing the game, or the cycle just adopts really well to the game. Who knows.

Anyways, I've been messing around with almost an Umbrella-type forecheck - lead man skates into the zone, cycles toward the blue line or passes back to the point, works the puck around the blue line. Look for an open man down low, or opportunity for a shot from the point to be tipped if there's traffic in front.

Icefire1424 said:
It's always interesting to watch the different forecheck styles everyone does in game - I really haven't seen the dump and chase implemented that often, but some version of the cycle seems pretty common. Interesting because the cycle (especially closer towards the blue line in the offesive zone) is more of a Russian / European hockey strategy, and the Dump and Chase more of an American forecheck. Either means there's a ton of Ruskies playing the game, or the cycle just adopts really well to the game. Who knows.

Anyways, I've been messing around with almost an Umbrella-type forecheck - lead man skates into the zone, cycles toward the blue line or passes back to the point, works the puck around the blue line. Look for an open man down low, or opportunity for a shot from the point to be tipped if there's traffic in front.

you mean California forecheck :p

I've really never seen the cycle used near the blue line, usually I see it along the corners - hash marks - behind the net. I'd be really afraid of cycling and turning the puck over near the blue line, which is an easy odd man rush.

I usually have a 1-2-2 forecheck with a puck carrier skating into the zone and the trailers splitting the available lanes or some sort of triangle. Usually someone thats strong and good hands on the puck (Joe Thornton, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, etc)

Icefire1424

Giant Robot said:
you mean California forecheck :p

I've really never seen the cycle used near the blue line, usually I see it along the corners - hash marks - behind the net. I'd be really afraid of cycling and turning the puck over near the blue line, which is an easy odd man rush.

I usually have a 1-2-2 forecheck with a puck carrier skating into the zone and the trailers splitting the available lanes or some sort of triangle. Usually someone thats strong and good hands on the puck (Joe Thornton, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, etc)

Hm, California forecheck eh? Never heard it called that, but then again, I'm originally from NY, so might explain that.

I guess I should have explained better - cycling near the hash marks was a better description. Have seen it down low quite often, however. Even with that being said however, still have seen the occasional cylcle higher up, and was curious to mess around with a neutral zone cycle (I know, but hear me out...)

Theory is if you're playing against an aggressive defense, (especially if they're playing tight gaps coming into their own defensive zone) a 1-2-2 forecheck in the neutral zone might work well. If the defenders try to make a play at the blue line, lead man cycles before entering the zone. The goal is to make the defenseman over commit, and play the body, effectively taking him (and the forward, obviously) out of the play. If the cycle is done well, this will still leave the other two forwards set for a 2-1 rush. Risk here, like you mentioned, is if the defenseman successfully stops the play early, could very well go back the other way in a hurry. Patience is key, just like a cycle anywhere else - look for the opportunity, and capitalize on it. My college team played against a Russian team that did this, (SKA II) and it was incredibly hard to counter.

I'm just poking fun at the CA teams that dump & chase a lot because they are afraid of being hit :p

Yea your explanation makes sense now. Sounds like a cycle that happens on the rush and very quick. I wish my beer league team would do that :\

Icefire1424

Giant Robot said:
I wish my beer league team would do that :\

Yours and mine both. We're currently utilizing two forechecks on my team, the "Dump and eventually someone will get there", and the 2-1-1-1, with the last "1" being the guy that got winded and is still hanging around our goalie back in the defensive zone. At least he doesn't need to worry about backchecking...

EA screwed me hard. I had 260 leftover points so I thought what the hell i'll buy that premium pack "deal". Not a single fucking player over 84. Best players in the world my ass.

well to be somewhat fair, Shea Weber has an 87 or so rating, Lidstrom with 87, Marleau with 88, etc. Doesn't matter much. I've come to find out that "Line Chemistry" in HUT mode doesn't mean much either.

Alright. So after a couple of days of training, and keeping all your suggestions in mind, I think I'm now a bit more competent in the basic control of my offensive and defensive play. Improving my cycling has helped a lot. Thanks again for that.

However, one big, giiiiiiant, MAJOR problem remains, and I think it is the ultimate source of my frustration: I can't score goals.

I've been doing the team practice sessions with zero enemy players (i.e., 5 players against a goalie) and I suck consistently. Think "Offense 5 : Defense 50" kind of sucking. Consistently.
Every shot ends up in the glove of the goalie. This is what generates my frustration when I play online. Even if I dominate the game, good players just need a couple of chances and the end result is 0:4.

"Have you tried sucking less?" Good idea. However, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I can't find any helpful tutorials in the game or anywhere online. I presume that is because nearly everybody who plays NHL just knows how to score themselves a goddamn goal. Any suggestions?

JWong

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
EA screwed me hard. I had 260 leftover points so I thought what the hell i'll buy that premium pack "deal". Not a single fucking player over 84. Best players in the world my ass.
What rare did you get?

A rare contract extension?

the_korben said:
Alright. So after a couple of days of training, and keeping all your suggestions in mind, I think I'm now a bit more competent in the basic control of my offensive and defensive play. Improving my cycling has helped a lot. Thanks again for that.

However, one big, giiiiiiant, MAJOR problem remains, and I think it is the ultimate source of my frustration: I can't score goals.

I've been doing the team practice sessions with zero enemy players (i.e., 5 players against a goalie) and I suck consistently. Think "Offense 5 : Defense 50" kind of sucking. Consistently.
Every shot ends up in the glove of the goalie. This is what generates my frustration when I play online. Even if I dominate the game, good players just need a couple of chances and the end result is 0:4.

"Have you tried sucking less?" Good idea. However, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I can't find any helpful tutorials in the game or anywhere online. I presume that is because nearly everybody who plays NHL just knows how to score themselves a goddamn goal. Any suggestions?

I can't finish either, I know a few moves but I always fail at aiming my shot

Giard

AuthenticM said:
Sorry to be the guy, but I'd really like to know what the 09.3 in the thread title stands for.

It's a way of saying the franchise hasn't improved since NHL 09, which is a joke...however calling it NHL 11.3 wouldn't be far-fetched.

Giard said:
It's a way of saying the franchise hasn't improved since NHL 09, which is a joke...however calling it NHL 11.3 wouldn't be far-fetched.
Ok, I've never really played the NHL series, except for 2k3 or 2k4 I think. So NHL 09 was the last big update to the series? What we got after that was incremental?

the_korben said:

I hope you're not playing with the NHL 94 control setup.

the_korben said:

I mean this in every sense of the words: Play Be a Pro (start in the CHL), and practice shootouts.

Goal scoring doesn't come naturally, just like hockey. It's a sense you have to pick up in this game too. Watch the goalies patterns. Try faking a shot. What happens? Did he go for it? Did his arms go down, leaving you the top corners?

Things to practice: One Timers. Slap shots. Pick certain spots, and just aim over and over.

Try different ways to score on goalies: Here's a simple one - Go behind the net, don't do a wraparound, but instead, stay close enough to the net that the goalie gets sucked out and shoot for the opposite side. You can often score this way.

On breakaways, work on the Left, Right, left shoot deke (or vice versa). Both help.

When I jumped back into the NHL series (I quit buying from 2003 to 2010 versions), I couldn't score for forever. But I just keep practicing. First learn how to get assists, watch how the CPU scores, then, try to replicate that. It's still a learning process.

djm

What he said. Playing online VS to start out will just lead to frustration I think, as I've found the people who play online sports games are REALLY good at them. They've been buying each iteration for several years or more, and due to the nature of sports, the rules don't change all that much year to year so they've had awhile to refine their strategy and technique.

Definitely put some time into the offline modes. Gradually increase the difficulty/tuners until you can routinely whup the AI. You'll probably hit the ceiling at some point, as the AI is only so smart and you'll find really high percentage plays and stuff it just can't deal with. Then move onto online play.

I'm figuring out that I'm having to put Street Fighter level of practice into this game. I'm having a blast but I'm still losing. Watching videos helped a lot with SF, any good videos to watch to show high level play that I can study?

Icefire1424

KoruptData said:
I'm having a blast but I'm still losing. ?

If it's any help, you're not the only one. Granted, I've only had the game since Wednesday, but I have yet to win a game. Seriously. Granted, it's been since '08 that I played an NHL game, I kept skill level at Pro (didn't want to dumb it down, that would seem pretty pathetic of me), and kept default controls, which admittedly, takes some getting used to.

But...games are getting closer. I'm actually scoring now. What everyone has been saying is dead on - there is a leaning curve to the game, will take some time to learn all the nuances. I'm FAR from there (obviously), but every game I'm doing something better. Winning more faceoffs, setting up plays, taking good chances. Keep at it, and every game you'll pick up something new.

In the meantime, enjoy it. Game may be difficult, but it's not cheap. Learn from the times you are scored on, and learn what works (and what doesn't) in your offensive zone. The one think I can say about the game even starting my career 0-5 (or something like that), is that it rewards diligence, and punishes mistakes. Hang in there, it will start to come together.

Hell, I haven't given up yet.

SuperSonic1305 said:

I bought a pack last night. Something like 4 guaranteed rares.

Contracts. Maybe one NHL player I had heard of. Awesome.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
TheMissingLink said:
I bought a pack last night. Something like 4 guaranteed rares.

Contracts. Maybe one NHL player I had heard of. Awesome.

I bought the player pack that was on sale a few days back, had 4 rares in it. I shit you not the best rare I got was Brett Lebda, a 79. I was not pleased.

On a happier note, my Be A Pro 2-way D-man got out of the CHL today. So far I'm very impressed with Be A Pro mode. I got drafted in the second round (that's what 90 points in the season, 25 in the playoffs as a D-man gets you I guess) and thankfully by a team I like (St. Louis). The difference between CHL and NHL hockey is really apparent in the game, I'm really digging it. Aside from being much faster, players are a lot smarter, it actually feels like a much more professional league. I also 2000+ xp in each category between the seasons, which I was pleasantly surprised by. Hopefully that happens between every season (until your Pro gets older anyway) and it's not just a reward for getting drafted.

lupin23rd

Man, 4 years into my Canucks Be a GM run, and Henrik wants $7 million to resign, which would be fine except Daniel wants $10 million :(

Gonna see how many first rounders I can flip them for by years end, hopefully I can still meet the 49 wins expectation.

What's a good way to improve relations with other GMs? I know how to get them to go the other way, but a few good trades and they still don't seem to go anywhere. Should I specifically target trading blocks or rumored moves? Most of them are overpriced contracts :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
lupin23rd said:
Man, 4 years into my Canucks Be a GM run, and Henrik wants $7 million to resign, which would be fine except Daniel wants $10 million :(

Gonna see how many first rounders I can flip them for by years end, hopefully I can still meet the 49 wins expectation.

What's a good way to improve relations with other GMs? I know how to get them to go the other way, but a few good trades and they still don't seem to go anywhere. Should I specifically target trading blocks or rumored moves? Most of them are overpriced contracts :(

Make trade offers that they'll reject but think are fair. It's a fine line and it took me a little time to figure out where it was in NHL 11, I haven't played even GM mode in 12 to really know where it is.

Slurmer

Banned
KnightAttack said:

Hoping I can join you guys in a month or so (no online for the time being)

b3b0p

My google Foo is failing me.

I have not played an NHL game in ages, but finally thinking of picking this up.

Can someone explain or link to me how Leagues work?

So, can we start for example an Office League at work? What happens next? Do we play each other or do we play other leagues online? I'm slightly confused how this all works.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The team OVR's are a bit crazy this year. Is it just me or is there a much wider disparity between some teams now? It also seems a lot easier to move the needle, Perron got injured on my Blues team and our Offense OVR dropped 5 whole points. Kinda nutty.

Also trade values in Be A GM are so fucked up. 99% of the players trade value is in the bottom half of the scale, it's really hard to tell what's an even trade anymore and what the CPU will accept. Apparently making superstars harder to trade just meant they shot their trade value through the roof without adjusting the UI. I'm really put off by it, it's kept me playing Be A Pro and HUT most of the time so far.

Ardenyal

New tuner and disabled hip check in OTP/clubs in a moment... Probably won't fix anything but we'll see.

V1.01 (effects all modes, except offline with V1.00)
-Small adjustment to goalie hug post to reduce vulnerability to far side goals coming around the net
-Small adjustment to guard the near post on shots
-Increase skating friction while doing protect puck (pretty small amount)
-Reduce stick lift penalties (hitting the hands is not a penalty now)

OTP Specific Changes:
-Disable hip checks (only in OTP/EASHL for now, but want input on this before we change it for Versus as well) The change makes hip check ineffective, but a proper fix will come in our 2nd patch

-Call interference on medium hits more strictly (0.4 to 1.0 – NOTE: not necessarily 100% because other factors are involved)
-Make poke check radius bigger (scale from 1.0 to 1.1)

lionelhutz

Is it just me, or are backhand goals out of control online? In my EA league and drop in games it seems they are unstoppable. Human or AI goalies let these through all the time, even if they seem to be in position to stop it. If it's a known issue is there a date for the first patch?

Marvie_3

Banned
Ardenyal said:
New tuner and disabled hip check in OTP/clubs in a moment... Probably won't fix anything but we'll see.
Played a couple OTP games today and it was hilarious to still see so many people trying to hip check.

lionelhutz said:
Is it just me, or are backhand goals out of control online? In my EA league and drop in games it seems they are unstoppable. Human or AI goalies let these through all the time, even if they seem to be in position to stop it. If it's a known issue is there a date for the first patch?
Backhands have been overpowered the last few years.

Patch should be out sometime in Oct.

Anyone been able to unlock any "boosts"(related to season stats) in BAP mode?
I've been thru 2 seasons already (made sure I played/intervene at least 50+ games)
Still nothing... I have no idea why they aren't unlocking.

djm

I have about half of them unlocked after one season. You need to be playing on Pro difficulty or higher.

djm said:
I have about half of them unlocked after one season. You need to be playing on Pro difficulty or higher.
Yeah, pretty sure I am playing on Pro. Though I did sim the first 40 minutes on some of the games. Not sure if that's the problem or not (cos, it used to work for me last year)

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
How have they improved be a GM mode, any new features? Better trading? more realistic results? In nhl 11 there was like 30 players over 80 points and 7 over 100 at seasons end, and every simulated game had at least 6 goals scored, which inflated everything and took me out of the experience completely.

And can created teams have 3rd jerseys now?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So my friends, whats the verdict on this game? Was there enough improvements to make the upgrade from 11 worth it? I was gonna get this game today from best buy but just wanted to see if it is worth upgrading from 2011.

Top Bottom