• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 12 |OT| aka NHL 09.3

Varshes

Here's the regional cover I got in Toronto.

nhl12leafs.jpg

Square Triangle said:
PS3 players, add me. After I get off work tonight I'm gonna jump online.

I will at some point if I remember to.

I started a PS3 GAF club. Search NeoGAF.

-- To help bolster ranks -- GAF and "friends" are invited.

Wow first time buyer this gen and man this game is just flat out fun. 2 games online and 2 games offline and I lost them all but its so much fun. Never had this much fun losing. Every game I lost by one or in a shoot out. This is exactly what I needed for my gaming fix.

Played 7 games of EASHL and I am LOVING this game!! Absolutely loving it.

I mean, people are going to find glitches and start exploiting the shit out of them, but right now, A+ stuff! Lag-free. Zero issues.

TheMissingLink said:
Played 7 games of EASHL and I am LOVING this game!! Absolutely loving it.

I mean, people are going to find glitches and start exploiting the shit out of them, but right now, A+ stuff! Lag-free. Zero issues.
Yep, I'm loving this game. Doesnt feel like a rip off like 2011's installment.

evilenger

Mike Works said:
Any (Canadians) here have any experience ordering online with Futureshop? I preordered the game a while back because of a discount. I'm looking at my order now, and it's stuck on "Checking Availability".

Is it possible to pick up a copy in store, or do I have to let them ship it to me?
I preodered mine though FS and it was shipped Monday Sept 13 and received Tuesday Sept 14 so in my case it actually worked out. I am hearing that many others are in the same situation as you so they've messed up a bunch of orders where people are waiting.

I don't think you can switch your to store pick up but what you can do if you don't want to wait is just buy a copy at the store to play. When you eventually get your shipped copy, just return that sealed one back at the store for a full refund.

LevityNYC

Banned
Loving NHL 12, but i have to say, the goalies allow some pretty bad goals.

For some reason, EA continues to not know how to make Marc Staal look anything like Marc Staal

The NHL 12 action tracker replay thing is going to consume days of my life.

My last name is finally said in NHL 12.

Who's got a team i can join?

Snookie

glad other people are getting on. all i'm getting is ea servers not available at this time. please try again later. I tried just about everything. plugged in to my modem directly. fixed my xbox live birthday, deleted my user profile. all my other games multiplayer work. i can log into the ea site and origin. My tiger woods 12 on my ps3 works just fine. so frustrated because i wanted to play a lot last night with my friends in eashl.

Sandman42

I skipped NHL 11 last year due to busy school season and lack of funds, but this year I'm here on day 1 and lovin' it.

The HUT game mode looks to be a really neat mode, dispite the horrible team that I've started with. My Best NHL player? Sean O'Donnell. :|

The gameplay is fantastic, I really enjoy everything they've done with the goalies and the A.I.

The rosters also seem somewhat updated already which is good. My Leafs are all there and pretty much on the right lines by default which is nice.

I made a player last night, seems like it's pretty much exactly the same as it was since NHL 09. Like did they even change the faces? I guess it doesn't really matter though, you never really even see your guy's face much.

Overall, looks like a pretty solid game this year!

LevityNYC

Banned
Sandman42 said:
I made a player last night, seems like it's pretty much exactly the same as it was since NHL 09. Like did they even change the faces? I guess it doesn't really matter though, you never really even see your guy's face much.

I wish you could use the xbox live vision camera to make a face. You can't even adjust your face at all. Games last gen has better options for adjusting the look of your characters.

Marvie_3

Banned
LevityNYC said:
I wish you could use the xbox live vision camera to make a face. You can't even adjust your face at all. Games last gen has better options for adjusting the look of your characters.
Yeah, Gameface would be an awesome addition to the series.

depward

So far, so good. EASHL team went 5 - 2 last night. Things I noticed:

1) Cross-creases only worked when it was CRAZY open.

2) Teams haven't discovered any kind of cheese shot yet... which lead to a whole slew of different goals. Nice to see.

3) The hipcheck is a little OP at the moment.

So far, so good though! Liking the update. I also really like the post-game event tracker - streamlines goal replays.

Marvie_3

Banned
depward said:
So far, so good. EASHL team went 5 - 2 last night. Things I noticed:

1) Cross-creases only worked when it was CRAZY open.

2) Teams haven't discovered any kind of cheese shot yet... which lead to a whole slew of different goals. Nice to see.

3) The hipcheck is a little OP at the moment.
So far, so good though! Liking the update. I also really like the post-game event tracker - streamlines goal replays.
A little? I haven't seen anything that overpowered in an NHL game since Sabrina Ladha.

JWong said:
rLWff.jpg

Goalies are going to have it rough this time around.

That's a fantastic picture.

I'm really loving this game so far. Be A Pro continues to be a great improvement, although I dislike that in Be a CHLer, you don't create a guy (unless I'm missing something). I've played about 14 games now, scoring 42 points. I took about 25 minutes looking for a non-draftee guy. It's cool the way they've done it, but I wish they had a better job breaking down players.

Marvie_3

Banned
KnightAttack said:
That's a fantastic picture.

I'm really loving this game so far. Be A Pro continues to be a great improvement, although I dislike that in Be a CHLer, you don't create a guy (unless I'm missing something). I've played about 14 games now, scoring 42 points. I took about 25 minutes looking for a non-draftee guy. It's cool the way they've done it, but I wish they had a better job breaking down players.
Just start a normal BAP and it gives you the option of starting in the CHL.

Marvie_3

Banned
snack said:
haha

Goalies can fight now too! So sweet.
Yeah, I got in a fight with Luongo. Didn't even swing at him and he fell over like I caved his face in.

KnightAttack said:
Really? Damn it.

I guess maybe I'll have to restart.
I usually don't start my BAP/BAGM until after roster updates are out. I've got a BAP going now but thats just to unlock boosts. :lol

TheClair

Neo Member
Mike Works said:
Any (Canadians) here have any experience ordering online with Futureshop? I preordered the game a while back because of a discount. I'm looking at my order now, and it's stuck on "Checking Availability".

Is it possible to pick up a copy in store, or do I have to let them ship it to me?

My order is the same way. I called Futureshop support and they said their system has had some issues with preorders. It was doing some incorrect delivery calculation. My NHL 12 order was grouped with Diablo 3 which in their system has a Dec 31, 2011 release date which was resulting in the system holding my preorder until all items could be obtained. The rep I talked with yesterday said they were sorting through it and to expect it to ship in the next couple of days.

If you want a quicker resolution, give them a call.

I'm not overly pleased by this, but so long as I have it by the end of the week, I don't really care. If you really wanted it day of release though, I could see this being very annoying.

Proc

My futureshop order shipped but didn't come with the steelbook. I sent and email asking about it. They ought to send all pre-orders a steelbook or something of equal value.

Swance

Neo Member
TheClair said:
My order is the same way. I called Futureshop support and they said their system has had some issues with preorders. It was doing some incorrect delivery calculation. My NHL 12 order was grouped with Diablo 3 which in their system has a Dec 31, 2011 release date which was resulting in the system holding my preorder until all items could be obtained. The rep I talked with yesterday said they were sorting through it and to expect it to ship in the next couple of days.

If you want a quicker resolution, give them a call.

I'm not overly pleased by this, but so long as I have it by the end of the week, I don't really care. If you really wanted it day of release though, I could see this being very annoying.

Mine was the same but it appears to be fixed now. Hopefully I receive the game tomorrow.

Marvie_3

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
tuition is stealing all my money :(
Just take out a huge student loan and buy a bunch of shit with it. Then when you graduate, flee the country and tell whoever holds the loan to cram it with walnuts.

Marvie_3 said:
Just take out a huge student loan and buy a bunch of shit with it. Then when you graduate, flee the country and tell whoever holds the loan to cram it with walnuts.
you sound pretty convincing, brb.

Slurmer

Banned
Is anyone else with the PS3 version having issues with this game? I'm just trying to play through a season and the game freezes on me half the time im simulating to the next game on the calendar. I'm not exaggerating with the "half" either, I might even be understating it. It just froze on me for the fourth time in a row trying to sim to the next game.

It also takes ~15-20 seconds to load a season (which seems a bit long).

I'm playing on a launch 60gb.

Slurmer said:
Is anyone else with the PS3 version having issues with this game? I'm just trying to play through a season and the game freezes on me half the time im simulating to the next game on the calendar. I'm not exaggerating with the "half" either, I might even be understating it. It just froze on me for the fourth time in a row trying to sim to the next game.

It also takes ~15-20 seconds to load a season (which seems a bit long).

I'm playing on a launch 60gb.

I'm having some issues with the game for sure. All loads take a while, usually between 15-20 seconds.

I've had my game freeze up about 6 times now, but only once at a menu. I found it's usually when I'm jamming buttons during the game (and it's usually replays).

I've also ran into a weird glitch during BaP, where I simulate the shift, then the guy comes to the bench, but spazzs into the board, won't get in, but I can't get out, so my teams essentially playing 5-4 until the next whistle.

(This is on my newer 160GB)

Jostling for position in front of the net in team play is so good. Might be the biggest gameplay addition since going to 2 sticks.

Amazing game.

Slurmer

Banned
KnightAttack said:
I'm having some issues with the game for sure. All loads take a while, usually between 15-20 seconds.

I've had my game freeze up about 6 times now, but only once at a menu. I found it's usually when I'm jamming buttons during the game (and it's usually replays).

I've also ran into a weird glitch during BaP, where I simulate the shift, then the guy comes to the bench, but spazzs into the board, won't get in, but I can't get out, so my teams essentially playing 5-4 until the next whistle.

(This is on my newer 160GB)

I just read on the EA forums that lots of people are having issues with freezing, particularly in the way that I am (freezing while simming to the next game in season mode)

I can't even continue my season at this point. Freeze at the same point every time. WTG EA

Quick

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
PS3 Freezing here during BaP...that coupled with the long load times = shit. Would return if I could...

I just got that freezing issue on my first game of BAP. Patch it up, EA.

I just passed by Gamestop at Yonge and Dundas, and they gave me the Leafs cover. Hell yes.

Quick said:
I just got that freezing issue on my first game of BAP. Patch it up, EA.

I just passed by Gamestop at Yonge and Dundas, and they gave me the Leafs cover. Hell yes.

If we get one by the end of the month, we should consider ourselves lucky.

lupin23rd

I'll join the PS3 team once my copy arrives, stupid shop of the future. I don't suppose theres anywhere to get a Canucks cover still?

Quick

Banned
lupin23rd said:
I'll join the PS3 team once my copy arrives, stupid shop of the future. I don't suppose theres anywhere to get a Canucks cover still?

If you happen to live in the Vancouver area, you could get one. But you have to buy the game at an EB or Gamestop to be able to get one. The guy who gave it to me was nice enough to give me one, since I told him I bought it at another EB Games midnight release location.

I don't know where they'd have it, but I'm guessing since there's no "Official Launch Party Location" in BC, it would be available in any of these BC stores listed.

Or maybe EA will have them available to print. I wouldn't mind having the Oilers and Canucks covers.

lupin23rd

Quick said:
If you happen to live in the Vancouver area, you could get one. But you have to buy the game at an EB or Gamestop to be able to get one. The guy who gave it to me was nice enough to give me one, since I told him I bought it at another EB Games midnight release location.

I don't know where they'd have it, but I'm guessing since there's no "Official Launch Party Location" in BC, it would be available in any of these BC stores listed.

Or maybe EA will have them available to print. I wouldn't mind having the Oilers and Canucks covers.
I do live in Van, wasn't sure of it was just for the midnight launch but I hadn't heard they were confirmed until I saw one on GAF earlier today. I'll hit up a few EBs then, thanks!

bradigor

They have managed to screw up the online games within a week.
When I started playing last Thursday games felt like proper hockey, hits would have the right effect, situational awareness was needed, shooting felt even, that you could defend against players by playing good solid D.

Now though, players are rolling checks like they used to. They can hold the RS to one side and avoid any kind of hit or poke check, they can spin back on themselves and avoid any contact at all* and a held deke to shot is almost like hitting the win button.

I play the game as I would expect a hockey game to go IRL. Each time I was getting beat by cheap 'glitch' efforts from my opposition. So for an experiment I played ONE game by exposing all those weaknesses and lo and behold...WIN (yet the most unsatisfactory win I have ever had on this game).

Don't get how they can change it so drastically in less than a week, it if really annoying now and it sees players being able to do the dancing on ice to goal.

Really disappointing and I hope a new tuner comes out soon to fix it. Really wish there was a choice of tuner to play with online and matchmake against it.

* What I mean by this, you can physically see there is contact from a hit, but for some reason it doesn't register at all. This wasn't the case on release (In Europe at least) :(

Have only experienced moronic goals against human goalies so far. My friends that've tried goalie say its a lot slower than NHL11...will have to test it out at some point.

Main gripe was getting disconnected from a game with 5 minutes left, while my xbox party connection never wavered. Apparently when they finished the game it locked up and no one got stats from it.

Only played 3 games online so far, though.

Top Bottom