• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 12 |OT| aka NHL 09.3

Zod the Bear said:
My friends that've tried goalie say its a lot slower than NHL11...will have to test it out at some point.

I'm not going to say this is with 100% certainty, but I think it's much more that all over for BaP players, stats matter SO much more with this game. Puck Control, Shot accuracy, deke, etc, DO make huge differences on your control, and I don't see why it'd be any different with a goalie. If you have slow speed/acceleration, your goalie isn't going to move side to side or get up and down near as quick.

theRizzle

I am pretty sure the answer is no, but can someone confirm/deny that there is any kind of 2 (or more) player Be A Pro or franchise mode?

Anyone else having connection problems? I've been dropped from 5 games tonight. It says failed to connect to EA server every time. Net is still working and I'm still connected to psn.

theRizzle said:
I am pretty sure the answer is no, but can someone confirm/deny that there is any kind of 2 (or more) player Be A Pro or franchise mode?

Although I haven't tried it on this years version, and I'm currently no where near my PS3 for the next 48 hours, if memory serves correct, you cannot play more than one player in a BaP mode, but you CAN in Franchise.

I'm 95% certain on this, but I can't check for sure until Sunday night.

JonnyKtyler said:
Anyone else having connection problems? I've been dropped from 5 games tonight. It says failed to connect to EA server every time. Net is still working and I'm still connected to psn.

I haven't had any of those problems, but I've head that some people have had some problems for sure.

Out of curiosity, are you wired or wireless, and what's your NAT connection? If you have a 3, that may be the problem.

Just picked up my PS3 copy. Pretty cool how they throw you into the Winter Classic right off the bat. Changed some sliders after that game and liking what I'm playing- specifically the net play.

theRizzle

KnightAttack said:
Although I haven't tried it on this years version, and I'm currently no where near my PS3 for the next 48 hours, if memory serves correct, you cannot play more than one player in a BaP mode, but you CAN in Franchise.

I'm 95% certain on this, but I can't check for sure until Sunday night.

Well, I know for sure you couldn't do it in 11. You can do a single season with more than one human player, but not the Be A GM mode.

Ardenyal

Fixed1979 said:
34MB update is now available for download. Trying to find out what it does...
Supposedly it's only a fix for season ticket related stuff. This is backed by the fact that I didn't get a patch notification on boot up (EU PS3, no season ticket available here)

Quick

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Seriously annoying that they promised Jets jersey being available Day One... :mad:

It'll be out before you know it.

So, what was the update for? After playing a couple of Be A Pro games, it froze in the middle of my third game.

elco

Fixed1979 said:
34MB update is now available for download. Trying to find out what it does...

please someone tell me this fixes the hip check... This is being abused so badly online its game breaking. Been a huge fan of EAs NHL series since 09 (2k before then), and each year it seems there is some game breaking mechanic online. Previously it was the mega wrist shot where you could pull it back behind you more than 180 degrees and then pick the corner. I stopped playing each year because of that. Now less than a week in and this hip check stuff. I will have 2 or 3 steps on a guy about to get by him completely and then he will click R3 and "hip check", more like head butt my ass, and send me flying. I really hope this is a broken mechanic and not by design, otherwise its a sign they are headed in a direction I am not on board with. I just looked for some youtube videos but couldn't find anything yet. Next time It happens I will upload to show ya'll what I am talking about.

To explain a little clearer.. Hip checks in hockey are done when skating backward and extending your hip and taking out an oncoming player around their hip. I think you could do this already by holding L2 to skate backwards then using the check button when an attacker approaches. What nhl12 has you can "hip check" while skating forward instantly by clicking R3. This does not take into account the direction, speed, or location of you or your opponent seemingly.

I hope the patch fixes the freezing issue, it's really annoying.
I only played a couple hours for 2 days, and already the game freezes at least 3/4 times on me, causing me to lose all the game progress (well, thank god there's auto save, but, still...)

Erdrick

I was hoping the update would include the Jets' proper jerseys as well but alas, I must continue to wear the oldschool 80's ones until then. Maybe by the start of the regular season... We have our first pre-season game tomorrow night against Columbus. Can't wait to see them in action with the new uniforms.

I really should graduate from the NHL 94 control style, but I'm so used to it. It's hard to change. The newer ones offer so much more for you to do though...

bradigor

Here is a question for you guys. In last year's game, did any of you notice four control schemes?

NHL94, Classic, Default and Alternative?

Reason I ask is that Alternative maps body checks to RB+RS and the poke checks entirely to the RS.
Now anyone who played NHL 2K9 and 2K10 will remember that the defensive stick control in that game was and still is miles ahead of EA's, so if this is now an option (only noticed turning the game of tonight) then I shall rejoice.

Milly79

bradigor said:
Here is a question for you guys. In last year's game, did any of you notice four control schemes?

Reason I ask is that Alternative maps body checks to RB+RS and the poke checks entirely to the RS.
Now anyone who played NHL 2K9 and 2K10 will remember that the defensive stick control in that game was and still is miles ahead of EA's, so if this is now an option (only noticed turning the game of tonight) then I shall rejoice.
Yes? That's exactly it. I tried it after playing 2k10 and loving it, but it's kinda awkward due to muscle memory.

bradigor

Oh sweet. Can't wait to jump on later and give it a try. Will allow me to be more tactical with my stick and actually get it in the lanes properly.

bradigor said:

Interesting, Im gonna have to try this. Poke checks are far more important than big hits (though not quite as satisfying... heh).

Marvie_3 said:
Philooch said:
the hitting in this game is crap compared to last year ;/
What are you talking about? Hip checks work perfectly.

I think what people don't understand is that the stats matter so much more this year than ever before. Hip checks work great, because they don't factor overall, as compared to regular checks at least.

The higher the stat, the better chance at succeeding. You want to be great, get better stats in the categories.

Marvie_3

Banned
Ardenyal said:
1qjw3d.jpg

EA.....

Quick said:
Just had a couple of games with the PS3 team. I'm so terrible. lol

It wasn't that bad. It's tough not playing with Mics, and especially when you haven't played with the others before. It was a good first few games.

Quick

Banned
KnightAttack said:
It wasn't that bad. It's tough not playing with Mics, and especially when you haven't played with the others before. It was a good first few games.

I have a bluetooth headset lying around somewhere. I'll try to find it.

The whistle isn't working in my game anymore. Anyone experience this? All of the other Sound FX work fine.

Oh, and how do I find the GAF PS3 team? I haven't even gone online with the game yet.

Quick

Banned
Mike Works said:
The whistle isn't working in my game anymore. Anyone experience this? All of the other Sound FX work fine.

Oh, and how do I find the GAF PS3 team? I haven't even gone online with the game yet.

Search NeoGAF when looking for an EASHL team.

Try maxing out the volume on the settings area.

Mike Works said:

That's a little weird.

If it persists, try deleting the Game Data, and let it download again.

And what Quick said.

@KnightAttack and @Quick:

thanks for playing. I was utterly terrible. Sometimes I couldn't even manage to play normal passes :\ I'll try to improve, but this game can be so frustrating at times (just lost 0 - 7 in a head-to-head), I don't really know where to start ...

Island

snack said:

Ok so is this actually an official cover? Or some fan made one? How would I go about getting this?
EDIT: Google search says there are special edition covers for preorders.... are these available anywhere or just select locations?

Milly79

It's legit. They were given away at the Vancouver midnight launch.

Edmonton got an Eberle
Toronto got a Kessel
Winnipeg got the logo
Vancouver got... you know.

Island

Milly79 said:
It's legit. They were given away at the Vancouver midnight launch.

Edmonton got an Eberle
Toronto got a Kessel
Winnipeg got the logo
Vancouver got... you know.

So only way to get them was at the Van launch? That's lame. Wonder if there is a print out that you can get?

the_korben said:
@KnightAttack and @Quick:

thanks for playing. I was utterly terrible. Sometimes I couldn't even manage to play normal passes :\ I'll try to improve, but this game can be so frustrating at times (just lost 0 - 7 in a head-to-head), I don't really know where to start ...

It's not you. I really can't stress this enough, it's all about your stats. Last year started it, and this year, they've taken it to a whole new level. If you have a low level passing, it takes your guy forever to pass. Holding R2 helps, but sometimes it makes the puck jump a bit.

It's also why shots and bodychecks aren't as accurate.

That being said, it was a great foundation games. We'll gel more the more games we play.

Hipchecks are so weird in this game. My brother has mastered the art of the skate at someone and lunge via hipcheck and take them out super awkwardly. It looks so goofy.

Other than that, this game is a LOT better than NHL 11. Kudos!

Marvie_3

Banned
TheMissingLink said:
Hipchecks are so weird in this game. My brother has mastered the art of the skate at someone and lunge via hipcheck and take them out super awkwardly. It looks so goofy.

Other than that, this game is a LOT better than NHL 11. Kudos!
I've mastered the lunging headbutt maneuver. I can dish out some heavy punishment that way.

Sami Salo is the destroyer of worlds in this game. He'll line a guy up for a hipcheck clearly too far away to make any contact, then suddenly swivel 180 degrees and throw his arms out while still bending over and sends the other player flying to the KHL.

Do you PS3 GAF people play at certain times/days? Are we all playing on the same team or against each other?

Mike Works said:
Sami Salo is the destroyer of worlds in this game. He'll line a guy up for a hipcheck clearly too far away to make any contact, then suddenly swivel 180 degrees and throw his arms out while still bending over and sends the other player flying to the KHL.

Do you PS3 GAF people play at certain times/days? Are we all playing on the same team or against each other?

If someone's on, ask them if they want to play a game. Last night, we played from 9:00pm to 10:30pm CST (that's 10pm EST to 11:30 EST, or 7pm PST to 8:30pm PST).

If I don't have homework to do, I'm usually on sometime around then (usually between 7 to 10pm CST)

elco

Marvie_3 said:
What are you talking about? Hip checks work perfectly.

joke? Anyone who thinks the hip checks are working properly in this game clearly has not played online. Eashl is unplayable now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK9ivXkplx0

Regular body checks are pretty good IMO. Sure they could use some work, but are much better overall than last year. So much more dynamic when the hitting player can go down also.

finally got my game.
Couple of things when playing Season Mode.

1) Where is my TRADE PLAYERS option in Season Mode?

2) Why do I sometimes face-off in the neutral zone after a goalie freezes the puck?

3) Is there no more auto-save after I complete a game? I've loaded my game twice to see that I have not completed a couple of games when in fact I did (exited game to the calendar).

This game is fucking SHIT online. Pure steaming shit. The game doesn't reward you for even trying to play realistic. All they do online is wrap arounds that ALWAYS go in not matter where your retarded goalie is positioned.

And why the fuck do all people leave when they see the ratings of my team? It's not that good, but if I'm like less than ten points from my opponents ratings they just leave.

I'm gonna get a stroke if I keep on playing this plastic turd. I'm so close to just breaking the cd in half and throw it away.

Edit: And what's up with everyone lagging like Michael J Fox so you can't even make a useful pass? Gah... So much wrong with this game.

And what about those shitty goal replays? I'd rather just look at pictures from the goal because it's impossible to see what happened anyway because of the low framerate.

Top Bottom