• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

ZeroGravity

rCbHg.jpg

Devils must really suck if they can't even beat a college without a hockey program.

ShaneB

If anything, I'm not sure the media has been nearly harsh enough all things considered. They all seem to be defending Shanny on his calls. Someone needs to have the balls to call for his head. All I see is Don Cherry parading out scuffle footage from the 1970s & 80s and going "See... the game was rough then too."

That footage of the Nordiques and Habs rumble was embarassing, ending with a player down on the ice, head smashed off the ice, and blood everywhere, and that's defending the roughness?!!?

hfsdhgodshglkshglksdhj Fuck. I'm angry.

And Cherry and others have even defending the craziness by saying ratings are up in the US. FUCK. Why can't they wonder why ratings can't be up when there's just damn good hockey?!?

Then shut the fuck up about it?

I DIDN'T SEE WHAT HAPPENED! CLEARLY THE PLAYER ON THE TEAM I DON'T LIKE IS GUILTY!

Just saying I saw Sharp swinging the stick and jawing with Smith. You assumed guilt. I rewound and didn't see Smith jumping out against against Sharp.

Relax though Marvie, I know it's a rough night

Cake Boss

Banned
How the fuck is Neal 1 game yet Shaw and Hagelin are thr....you know what, forget it. Just nevermind. I don't even care anymore.

Asham's suspension is not nearly enough to be a deterrent either, but at least he's guaranteed to be out for the rest of the series (insert "one game would be enough for that" joke here).

Ok enough here, Shut the fuck up about Hagelin, our fucking captain and our best forward is out of the series and possibly his last game of his career.

The play was dirty and the victim is fucking injured, Oh noe you lost a 30 point forward for 3 games, we lost our 30 goal forward for the rest of the playoffs. You`re winning the series and your dumbass player is set to return on Saturday where our guy has no timetable. So what more do you fucking want.

q_q

I'm critical of the team because for the last two years I could tell they had no shot at the Cup. While most teams got younger, faster, and bigger, Detroit stayed old. It's infuriating to see teams like Nashville making great moves at the deadline and Detroit doing almost nothing.

I love the Wings, I just hate to see them managed this way.

Totally fair when this team has sucked for the last MONTH! Continually carrying the worst last 10 game records with Toronto of all teams at the end of this season and then carrying that same play into the playoffs, what an accomplishment!

Don't even give me this junk, are my expectations high? Of course, but I don't expect this team to go down without a fight, and hey, guess what they are doing? They're going down without a fight.

And this is where I differ, I have a need to win attitude, yeah I can have fun with it, but I like to win, it's always been in my blood. I hate to just give up on something I care so much about, it was the same way when I actually played. If you care about something, you will give it your all, this team is not giving it its all right now.
Yeah you guys are right. Wings have been steadily declining since 08. I know they aren't going to be that powerhouse they were before, but I had at least hoped they would still be competitive. Once Lidstrom retires and then D and Z get tot the end of their careers, this team is going to be in a lot of trouble. But part of being a fan for me is having hope that the Wings will win, even if it's a bit unlikely. I guess I just approach things differently is all.

But yeah I've been very disappointed with how the Wings have played this series. Really no way they win game 5. And wow, watching the replay on that second Nashville goal. It's like the Wings just didn't even care.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If anything, I'm not sure the media has been nearly harsh enough all things considered. They all seem to be defending Shanny on his calls. Someone needs to have the balls to call for his head. All I see is Don Cherry parading out scuffle footage from the 1970s & 80s and going "See... the game was rough then too."

The guys at RDS have been saying for the whole year that not enough is being done and that Shanahan is extremely inconsistent. They talk about this every night.

Montresor

This. Sedin doesn't go high with a shoulder, he doesn't get an elbow in the jaw.

In that game, Sedin (hit on Keith) and Burrows (kneeing a Hawk while on the ground) should have both had hearings at the very least, but they didn't get shit because their dangerous hits happened to not injure their opponents.

Ok enough here, Shut the fuck up about Hagelin, our fucking captain and our best forward is out of the series and possibly his last game of his career.

The play was dirty and the victim is fucking injured, Oh noe you lost a 30 point forward for 3 games, we lost our 30 goal forward for the rest of the playoffs. You`re winning the series and your dumbass player is set to return on Saturday where our guy has no timetable. So what more do you fucking want.

The star power of the victim shouldn't be taken into consideration. Ditto with the star power of the perpetrator

Also is Metro a Rangers fan? He might not have been complaining that Hagelin's suspension length was too long. He might have just been advocating for a much longer suspension for Neal instead.

UberTag

This was called out on TSN a few minutes ago but I'll echo their praise for Joel Quenneville for getting his team focused on playing a smart game and keeping control of his team after Torres laid out Hossa.

Contrast that with the absolute failure of Dan Bylsma. It's like night and day.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah you guys are right. Wings have been steadily declining since 08. I know they aren't going to be that powerhouse they were before, but I had at least hoped they would still be competitive. Once Lidstrom retires and then D and Z get tot the end of their careers, this team is going to be in a lot of trouble. But part of being a fan for me is having hope that the Wings will win, even if it's a bit unlikely. I guess I just approach things differently is all.

But yeah I've been very disappointed with how the Wings have played this series. Really no way they win game 5. And wow, watching the replay on that second Nashville goal. It's like the Wings just didn't even care.

I blamed Lidstrom at first but really it wasn't his fault--he's supposed to be covering that side of the ice. Ian White (who I think has played a terrible series) completely blew it.

ShaneB

This was called out on TSN a few minutes ago but I'll echo their praise for Joel Quenneville for getting his team focused on playing a smart game and keeping control of his team after Torres laid out Hossa.

It's definitely been a lot more civil than expected, and I agree, that is a very very good thing. Leave the craziness to the lone incident and pray the league deals out punishment.

Revenant

that's surprised me too, While in some ways I wouldn't mind that pound of flesh to be taken, this is still a 1-0 game, and the Hawks are playing like it.

Cake Boss

Banned
The star power of the victim shouldn't be taken into consideration. Ditto with the star power of the perpetrator

Also is Metro a Rangers fan? He might not have been complaining that Hagelin's suspension length was too long. He might have just been advocating for a much longer suspension for Neal instead.

Hes been only here to bitch about it, leaves comes back and bitches about it the next day.

And I agree with the star power thing, at the end of the day it was dirty hit and the player is concussed so yeah Hagelin deserves a raise or something.

pringles

Needs to be gone:

Cleary
Holmstrom
Stuart

Maybe should leave:
Lidstrom
Hudler
What's with the sudden influx of Lidstrom hate just because he had a mediocre game tonight?

He's still our best D.

Missing Helm and Eaves has hurt us a lot this series. They have a ton of energy and speed and can score the kind of gritty goals we've been lacking. And Datsyuk is clearly not 100%. Compared to last playoffs it's night and day. If he was on that level this year he'd have won one or two games in this series by himself.

For next game I want Babcock to take some chances. This series is not over. We almost turned 3-0 around last year. Gotta take a shot at it atleast. Sit Holmstrom. Bring in Mursak or Conner. Bench Stuart, play Brendan Smith. Top 6 badly needs to be rearranged. Slap Franzen around, threaten to trade him if he doesn't wake up. Where is the guy that broke Gordie Howe'd old records?

Worst part is we've still been good enough to win in all 4 games.

q_q

I blamed Lidstrom at first but really it wasn't his fault--he's supposed to be covering that side of the ice. Ian White (who I think has played a terrible series) completely blew it.

Yeah and Filppula just didn't even bother to back check on the late guy. I think Wingsfan might be right. Not that the Wings don't want to win but they just don't seem to have the focus that a team who hasn't won will have. That, and Rinne just will not give them a break. At least they won't lose to the Sharks three times in a row.

Slurmer

Banned
Shanahan says in that video he believed neals story that he jumped to brace for impact...

Jumped...INTO a player without the puck...to brace for impact

Believed a player with a past history of warnings and suspensions, THEN suspended him 1 game for jumping again and hitting giroux in the head 40 SECONDS LATER.

Shanalogic

This is what I have been saying since the last few weeks of the season, they just seem to pack it in and just not care leading to some of these pathetically weak goals as we are seeing now. Ugh, I really need to stop caring less about the Wings, drives me insane and only leads me to become more angry than I already am.. ugh... Sadly I started to really care so much more when I came to GAF.

These refs all need to...

I'll leave Marvie to make the Heatley joke, actually.

The refs have been a joke for all of these series for all sides.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Very surprised that Backstrom actually got a game. I'll take it.

Fixed1979

I just got home from the gym, did he fall asleep during a game or something? .gif?

That's meaner than I really want to be about a team I hate and I kinda apologize in advance 'cause I don't really dislike Hossa for the most part and I hate to see players get hurt and hope he gets better and is ready for day 1 next season...but fuck it, I hope it cost them the series karma etc.

Better get some water then. Wouldn't want you to choke like the Canucks.
At least you're anger hasn't diluted your wit! =)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What's with the sudden influx of Lidstrom hate just because he had a mediocre game tonight?

He's still our best D.

Missing Helm and Eaves has hurt us a lot this series. They have a ton of energy and speed and can score the kind of gritty goals we've been lacking. And Datsyuk is clearly not 100%. Compared to last playoffs it's night and day. If he was on that level this year he'd have won one or two games in this series by himself.

For next game I want Babcock to take some chances. This series is not over. We almost turned 3-0 around last year. Gotta take a shot at it atleast. Sit Holmstrom. Bring in Mursak or Conner. Bench Stuart, play Brendan Smith. Top 6 badly needs to be rearranged. Slap Franzen around, threaten to trade him if he doesn't wake up. Where is the guy that broke Gordie Howe'd old records?

Worst part is we've still been good enough to win in all 4 games.
I don't hate Lidstrom, but it's obvious he's not what he once was, as much as I refused to believe it. He's slooooow, he's not putting up the points, nor controlling the play like he used to. I realize they're not using him on the PK due to his foot, but he wasn't really killing penalties before that anyway. It's time for him to move on and allow Detroit to get younger and bring in some new guys.

The only line up change might be Nyquist out for Connor. Homer is the next choice, but I just don't see Babcock sitting him. Stuart will definitely never get sat, ever. He's a "veteran" and a good "shot blocker" according to Babcock. Detroit's system is too predictable, which is why we're not scoring on the pp like we should be or getting any offense 5 on 5 except for shots 20 feet out from the perimeter. It's been like his since 09 really. Other teams have us figured out and know how to shut us down in the Playoffs.

Marvie_3

Banned
I just got home from the gym, did he fall asleep during a game? .gif?

That's meaner than I really want to be about a team I hate and I kinda apologize in advance 'cause I don't really dislike Hossa for the most part...but fuck it, I hope it cost them the series
Are you fucking kidding me?

I don't know, maybe the NHL's cunning plan is to favor certain scumbag teams like Phoenix so that casual observers like me will root against them.

It's kinda working.

I just got home from the gym, did he fall asleep during a game or something? .gif?

That's meaner than I really want to be about a team I hate and I kinda apologize in advance 'cause I don't really dislike Hossa for the most part and hate to see players get hurt...but fuck it, I hope it cost them the series karma etc.

You can fuck off too. Letting your dislike for a team get in the way of hoping someone isn't paralyzed is tasteless.

ShaneB

John Shannon and Doug Maclean ripping into Shanahan's fucked up suspension logic on Hockeycentral. Wonder what they'll say about Torres, yeah, they're ripping in it too.

UberTag

I don't know, maybe the NHL's cunning plan is to favor certain scumbag teams like Phoenix so that casual observers like me will root against them.

It's kinda working.
This is what's officially known as "The John Cena Effect". (Except he's not a scumbag.)

Top Bottom