• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Exactly one year since Torres' blatant head hit on Seabrook. Too perfect.

I know it's a cliche to bitch about refs (and we played like shit anyway), but jesus, tonight's game was just stupid.

Revenant

Huh? He challenged that having a healthy Daniel Sedin wouldn't have made a difference in the series. I contended that it would. Keep up, Revenant.

and i contended there is no reason to bitch about it since you'll still be down 3-0 if you contend his point or not, but hey at least you're not posting penguins gifs for a bit so this is a step up.

and i contended there is no reason to bitch about it since you'll still be down 3-0 if you contend his point or not, but hey at least you're not posting penguins gifs for a bit so this is a step up.
k6FUy.gif

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Revenant, that makes no sense. Sure, Vancouver is down, but the discussion around whether or not having the team's top scorer in the lineup is still a valid and worthwhile one - especially considering the close goal differential in each of the games.

Are you saying that nobody should talk about hypotheticals? If so, there are a great many fans of teams other than the Nucks in here that would have significantly less to post about.

Revenant

Revenant, that makes no sense. Sure, Vancouver is down, but the discussion around whether or not having the team's top scorer in the lineup is still a valid and worthwhile one - especially considering the close goal differential in each of the games.

Are you saying that nobody should talk about hypotheticals? If so, there are a great many fans of teams other than the Nucks in here that would have significantly less to post about.

hey at least you responded in text form.

I just don't see what the discussion is. If Daniel was in the lineup, Canucks are a better team, that's for sure. I wouldn't doubt that. Does it mean they'd be leading the series.. possibly, possibly not. But the past is the past and it won't change. Just seems like something not worth dwelling on.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Alright, I just wanted to get that out there, so when the Hawks get bounced and the conspiracy theorists come out of the woodwork regarding crooked refs, team ownership, no penalty on the Hossa hit, Smith overacting and the Shaw suspension, Toews getting manhandled, etc etc...

I can just link your post and say lolwhyumadtho?

Carry on.

MacAttack

Habs GAF! Leafs-Age! Revenant is trying to crush your dreams of Nailing Yakupov!

Socreges

Banned
I, for one, appreciate Revenant's timely, sage advice. Do not discuss the significant events that have contributed to a team's current state, whether bad trades, violent hits or whatever. Even in a passing comment within another point and particularly if they happen to shame a Hawks player. C'est la vie, guys! We hockey fans must always live in the present!

To get things semi-back on topic, James Neal only getting a 1 game suspension for his headhunting is fucking bullshit. The league's going to come down really hard on Torres because he sent Hossa out on a stretcher, but I'd argue that Neal's two shifts were worse than Torres' one.

Revenant

I, for one, appreciate Revenant's timely, sage advice. Do not discuss the significant events that have contributed to a team's current state, whether bad trades, violent hits or whatever. Even in a passing comment within another point and particularly if they happen to shame a Hawks player. C'est la vie, guys! We hockey fans must always live in the present!

you're welcome to do as you please and if you'd like to take my thoughts and twist them you are as well.

Well for what it's worth I'm sticking by my theory that Daniel wouldn't have changed where this series is at. Obviously it's unprovable, but so is what Mike said.

Overall I sense sodium levels rising. Funnily enough I'm not really even upset about the suspensions. I AM still annoyed Neal got away with that hit on Couts DURING the game. I guess the ref bought his excuse too....

I'm sure Rinaldo will get to make his case as well next time he gets called.

Well for what it's worth I'm sticking by my theory that Daniel wouldn't have changed where this series is at. Obviously it's unprovable, but so is what Mike said.
Of course it's all theoretical, but while the series may still have been 3-0, I think you'd have to be pretty dense to not concede that having Daniel Sedin and a functional top line and powerplay from Game 1 would have at least made the team better than having Byron Bitz or Andrew Ebbett.

Overall I sense sodium levels rising. Funnily enough I'm not really even upset about the suspensions. I AM still annoyed Neal got away with that hit on Couts DURING the game. I guess the ref bought his excuse too....
You'd probably be upset if Giroux and/or Couturier were concussed by Neal's hits. Your team's up 3-0 in the series against your biggest rival and is relatively the same health-wise as they were when the playoffs began. Don't know why any Flyers fan would be upset.

Socreges

Banned
you're welcome to do as you please and if you'd like to take my thoughts and twist them you are as well.
Noted. Amended for accuracy:

Socreges said:
I, for one, appreciate Revenant's timely, sage advice. Do One should not discuss the significant events that have contributed to a team's current state, whether bad trades, violent hits or whatever. Even in a passing comment within another point and particularly if they happen to shame a Hawks player (ed: Revenant may approach people on a regular basis to share his wisdom). C'est la vie (ed: Revenant does not know French), guys! We hockey Canucks fans must always live in the present!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
@Revenant Why not? At the very least you should defend yourself if you feel you're being deliberately misrepresented.

To get things semi-back on topic, James Neal only getting a 1 game suspension for his headhunting is fucking bullshit. The league's going to come down really hard on Torres because he sent Hossa out on a stretcher, but I'd argue that Neal's two shifts were worse than Torres' one.

Oh, they definitely were. Neal was just lucky that he scored 40 goals and plays for a popular American club, since Shanahan seems to base the severity of his 'punishment' on the popularity of the culprit.

I'd say that Hodgson's departure is just as significant as Daniel's. They haven't had that 3-pronged scoring threat since he left, and Kassian has been completely forgettable.

calder

Ugh why is the canucks/hawks feud so tedious now, when did you guys lose the passion? It's so tired and rote, you're like the bitter old couple who bury the daggers over and over more out of habit than any expectation of drawing fresh blood from each others desiccated flesh.

Socreges

Banned
calder said:
Ugh why is the canucks/hawks feud so tedious now, when did you guys lose the passion? It's so tired and rote, you're like the bitter old couple who bury the daggers over and over more out of habit than any expectation of drawing fresh blood from each others desiccated flesh.
I thought Marvie's snappy contribution was revolutionary.

Ra\/en

The Canucks need to play the Hawks this year. Too bad it won't happen.

unless.... Destiny happens.

Please guys make it 1-3 tomorrow. Go down with a bit of pride!!!!

I'll be back tomorrow night for the game. Go Nucks! (my cheer is more of a whimper now)

We're a bit busy worrying about a series we're still very much in. They're... Yeah.

RC

Banned
Feels like I've been ignoring my second home lately. What'd I miss? Other then the incessant bickering.

Daniel's playing tomorrow? Just the type of moral boost this team needs.

Feels like I've been ignoring my second home lately. What'd I miss? Other then the incessant bickering.

Is he? I hope they're not rushing him out. Honestly, if the nucks play like they did last game I'd be surprised if they get stoned by Quick again. They had a shitload of chances and a ton more shots. Also Schneider played well, hopefully he starts.

Here's a recap:
Every suspension has either been
a.) a joke
b.) fucking bullshit

Every scrum or fight has been
a.) a disgrace to the league
b.) a disgrace to the league

I'd like to see Daniel get back into the lineup, if only to limit the number of excuses available to our fellow 'Nuck fans when they're swept out by the #8 seed. To be fair, Quick has been unbelievable.

RC

Banned
Is he? I hope they're not rushing him out. Honestly, if the nucks play like they did last game I'd be surprised if they get stoned by Quick again. They had a shitload of chances and a ton more shots. Also Schneider played well, hopefully he starts.

Considering it's an elimination game, playing Schneids would send a mixed message going forward, win or loss. I doubt Lou would want to play for a team that puts so little faith in him.

And we're never going to get anything past Quick if the majority of our shots come from the perimeter. He can stop those in his sleep.

Considering it's an elimination game, playing Schneids would send a mixed message going forward, win or loss. I doubt Lou would want to play for a team that puts so little faith in him.

And we're never going to get anything past Quick if the majority of our shots come from the perimeter. He can stop those in his sleep.

I guess that is true. Either way, the team played much better with Schneids in net, so I dunno.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Some guy on twitter said there were rumblings that Torres suspension could surpass 8 games, about time Shanny grew some balls if true.

I feel like The Avengers is the only thing keeping me from breaking down and sobbing like a bitch in a corner.

I've already been burned by Mass Effect 3 and the Canucks.

SAVE ME THOR, GOD OF THUNDER.

I guess the only caveat I have with this epic collapse is that whoever makes it to the finals will probably lose out half their team to headshots, and the other half to suspensions.

Top Bottom