• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Razorskin

----- ------
Q9WuI.gif

ShaneB

Damn west coast games keeping me up late at night on a weeknight :( Going to be tired at work today. Ah well, despite the Canucks losing game 1, it was still a great first night of the playoffs with some crazy highlights no doubt.

Decided to skip the gym today since I have to go for groceries after work and I don't want to miss any of the Sens/Rangers game. Let's go Sens! Really hope the Caps show up to play as well and surprise the Bruins.

hubes

yo it's not even fair that the NHL scheduled the flyers the night before National Grilled Cheese day. obvious penguins favoritism happening since everyone knows Giroux wouldn't be able to focus on the game with such a huge holiday looming..

Just got up.

Sorry 'Nucks fans. I sympathize. Hey, at least your team didn't embaress themselves by blowing a 3-0 lead.

Yeah, that sucked.

On a related note, Paul Martin infuriates me sometimes.

I also don't see how Weber shouldn't get punished for that. I mean I do see how he won't, of course (it's the NHL) but, the game doesn't need that kind of crap.

Listening to Detroit radio this morning and one of the local guys is making the case that Weber won't be suspended because Zetterberg was not hurt (despite his helmet being broken). Two things to consider:

1) If that was Crosby and not Z, no question Weber is gone (and probably for more than a game)
2) Shanahan won 3 cups with the Wings
3) It sets a dangerous precedent if you tell players "this kind of behavior at the end of games is OK"

With how short gloves are now, I can's believe that Reebok or whoever isn't building Kevlar into the forearms of the shirts players wear under their jersey.

It's the NHL, nothing is going to happen to Weber.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Not sure if I should watch NYR/OTT or STL/SJS

Though it would be nice to see how st Louis fans took to finally having a playoff drought (before the lockout, the last time they missed the playoffs was 1978)

So I actually had a lot of coherent thoughts about that game.....

1.) This fucking team- somehow the more things change, the more they stay the same. For some reason the Flyers NEVER do things the easy way. Everything has to be a salvaged shitshow. That game was absolutely amazing. I can only assume the feeling I had this morning is how people feel when they wake up naked next to a super model.

2.) Schenn- Easily the best player on the ice all night. Absolutely amazing. If this is the REAL Schenn and he's not just pulling a JVR and only shows up every 8th game then the Richards trade was a trade for a clone + simmonds. Last night Schenn looked like a 60+ pt player with an amazing defensive game and a HUGE physical presence.

3.) Couturier- Just cuz I can't go through a whole team analysis and ignore him... Last night wasn't his best game ever, but overall I think he did a great job shutting down Malkin and looked pretty damn confident for a 19 year old in his first playoff game. I'm excited to see more.

4.) Briere- THIS is why we pay him. Briere could stay home for the whole regular season and I wouldn't care. Somehow this guy takes his game up 10000 levels for the playoffs. He's a great example for the young guys.

5.) Bryz- That third goal was his fault, icing aside. Other than that though he played amazing all game and I wouldn't put much blame on him for the other two goals. If he plays like that all playoffs I can't complain. If he actually manages to steal a few games I'd say he was actually earning his contract level.

6.) The offsides- yea Briere was off, but goal 3 was icing. I really do just see these as cancelling out.

On the LA/Van game.... That game was A LOT of fun to watch with nothing on the line emotionally and getting to watch Richards and Carter play. That team really is built for the playoffs and I think the Nucks learned that last night. I love so many players on that Kings team because they play the kind of all around hockey that I love to watch. Really hoping they can pull that series out. If the Kings beat Van, I think they have a pretty decent shot to make it out of the West.

Didn't look closely at the Weber hit yet, but I don't expect a suspension.

Ok.... I need more hockey now.

Merguson

Banned
So there's two games on CBC at pretty much the same time. Anyone know which game will be broadcast in Toronto? I'm guessing Rags/Sens.

Fixed1979

On the LA/Van game.... That game was A LOT of fun to watch with nothing on the line emotionally and getting to watch Richards and Carter play. That team really is built for the playoffs and I think the Nucks learned that last night. I love so many players on that Kings team because they play the kind of all around hockey that I love to watch. Really hoping they can pull that series out. If the Kings beat Van, I think they have a pretty decent shot to make it out of the West.

Didn't look closely at the Weber hit yet, but I don't expect a suspension.

Ok.... I need more hockey now.

I'm not sure what you were watching or maybe it's because I'm biased but the first two periods of the LA/VAN game was not fun to watch at all. There was absolutely no flow throughout the first 2/3rds of the game because of the amount of penalties handed out (not saying they were or weren't deserved for either team). The Kings making it out of the West, that's laughable.

Odd to see Van drop a game 1, but I fully expect a completely different game on Friday regardless of what the outcome ends up being. The Kings played a good game last night and Van had an especially bad one, if it wasn't for Luongo it would have gotten out of control.

It's the NHL, nothing is going to happen to Weber.

It really is amazing to think that nothing is going to happen to Weber, and when nothing happens I won't be surprised. I really like Weber but this was just out to lunch. I have 0 faith in Shannahan or the NHL to do the right thing here.

ShaneB

Dunno how much of a surprise it will be, the Caps have played the Bruins pretty well this year.

Need to catch up on the games last night was busy all night :/

Oh I know, like the Sens over the Rangers, the Caps do have a winning record against the Bruins. I guess my two upset picks are the Sens and Caps, so I'm going on hope for those 2 series. lol

The case with the Bruins is that they've got a lineup built for playoffs, so if they play that playoff style hockey, the caps could get beat up quick.

Cake Boss

Banned
I dont know how you cant cheer for the Flyers, got an awesome young team with a ton of talent.

Hartnell is fucking hilarious.
Giroux is so boss and has a sick flow
Bryz is more interesting than all of the leagues goalies put together
Jagr is a legend still playing
Briere is so clutch for such a small guy
Schenn, Couts and Voracek just beasted on the penguins even though it was their first playoffs.

The only player I cant stand on that team is Matt Read, just a scumbag.

I dont know how you cant cheer for the Flyers, got an awesome young team with a ton of talent.

Hartnell is fucking hilarious.
Giroux is so boss and has a sick flow
Bryz is more interesting than all of the leagues goalies put together
Jagr is a legend still playing
Briere is so clutch for such a small guy
Schenn, Couts and Voracek just beasted on the penguins even though it was their first playoffs.

The only player I cant stand on that team is Matt Read, just a scumbag.

Wait.... really?!?! Read??? Huh.... I just don't get that vibe. t0mp will not be happy....

Agreed on the rest though :D

Revenant

Alright, hawks start tonight and I'm not afraid to tell all of Coyotes GAF to suck it!

on a serious note though early reports are that Toews is in tonight.

ShaneB

So there's two games on CBC at pretty much the same time. Anyone know which game will be broadcast in Toronto? I'm guessing Rags/Sens.

Sens/Rangers is the national broadcast. I think they mentioned you can watch the Caps/Bruins on CHEX, and of course you'll be able to stream the game on cbc.ca.

Man I love the first round of the playoffs, another terrific night of hockey tonight.

Puddles

Banned
There are coyotes in my neighborhood in Los Angeles. I had to swerve to avoid one a few months ago and blew out a tire going over the curb. Fucker.

So happy that both the Pens and the Canucks lost yesterday. Now, unfortunately I'd root for the Sens AND the Rangers, but they're playing against each other. I think I'll root for the Rangers.

Top Bottom