• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Quick

Banned
How does Holtby get a penalty doing the same move as Thomas did against Henrik Sedin who didn't get a penalty.

CONSISTENCY FOR FUCK SAKE PLEASE!

yEMGI.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
O'Donnell and Brunette need to sit next game. I'd rather have Lepisto and Hayes in. Oduya and Hammer were fucking brutal tonight as well.

How's that Kings/Canucks series going, Mike?

Revenant

seems like the hawks always get manhandled in that 1st game of the playoffs, kind of a tradition, 1-3 in opening games the last few years and even that win was tough against calgary. Good game by the Yotes. :lol nordiques and :lol crappy franchise but Dave Tippett is a solid coach, kind of a shame what he's done gets overshadowed by the franchises inevitable doom as it seems.

Marvie_3

Banned
seems like the hawks always get manhandled in that 1st game of the playoffs, kind of a tradition, 1-3 in opening games the last few years and even that win was tough against calgary. Good game by the Yotes. :lol nordiques and :lol crappy franchise but Dave Tippett is a solid coach, kind of a shame what he's done gets overshadowed by the franchises inevitable doom as it seems.
It's not just the first game of the playoffs, it's the first game of every series. They're 3-6 in Game 1's the last 4 years and they were shaky at best in all 3 of those wins. If it weren't for Khabibulin/Niemi bailing them out, they would have lost all 3 of those too.

Tabris

Good thing about if Phoenix wins is they don't have enough fans to riot and burn their city down.

With all the MTL fans have commented on the Vancouver riot, you would think they forgot about the recent playoffs (BOS win in 2008, PHI loss in 2010) where their own city rioted and most likely would have rioted as bad as Vancouver if they had lost in the Stanley Cup finals

Hopefully the Hawks can go into next game with a different mindset and play to negate the Coyotes fore-checking... 'cause right now they look slow against the Yotes. I'd like to see Morrison and Hayes playing right now. Hawks need another good center in Morrison to help out and Hayes is rough and tough player, but skilled.

Also, the Hawks need to be more physical. They just try to poke check and dance around the player instead of running them over. Hawks were hitting well in the first period and they ended up taking it... shame the team couldn't keep it going.

Coyotes had the Hawks by the balls this season and it looks like nothing has changed. Hawks are going to have to fight hard on Saturday...

Marvie_3

Banned
Hopefully the Hawks can go into next game with a different mindset and play to negate the Coyotes fore-checking... 'cause right now they look slow against the Yotes. I'd like to see Morrison and Hayes playing right now. Hawks need another good center in Morrison to help out and Hayes is rough and tough player, but skilled.

Also, the Hawks need to be more physical. They just try to poke check and dance around the player instead of running them over. Hawks were hitting well in the first period and they ended up taking it... shame the team couldn't keep it going.

Coyotes had the Hawks by the balls this season and it looks like nothing has changed. Hawks are going to have to fight hard on Saturday...

Are you out of your mind? Morrison is fucking garbage. They need to put Kane back at center or make Sharp do it. Kruger isn't going to cut it on the 2nd line and that showed tonight. That whole line was awful.

Hayes needs to be in though, I'll agree with you there. He needs to take Brunette's spot.

Olsen or Lepisto need to play because O'Donnell is worthless. O'Donnell played just over 10 minutes yet was on the ice for 2 of the 3 Phoenix goals.

The whole team needs to cut down on the lazy, dumbass plays that seemed to happen every 5 seconds. They gave Phoenix way too many opportunites.

Socreges

Banned
Dan Tencer ‏ @dantencer Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider on Vancouver being Canada's most despised team: "Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them."

hahahaha
Snyder is just a million times better at handling the media than Luongo. Great answer.

Socreges

Banned
We hate ourselves as much as we hate Cowtown? Hilarious.
Seems like that's pretty much the case for each province. Familiarity and exposure breeds love/hate. Leafs are most hated, I'd guess, because TSN and CBC have always spent more time covering them and because so many Leafs fans move to different parts of the country (eg, BC). <3 for bonesmccoy

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Socreges

Banned
Now that's just odd. So the US hates the Canucks and Canada hates Toronto?
I've heard you can't walk around Mississippi wearing a Canucks jersey without getting beaten up.

Also meant to post this earlier. Everyone loves to hate the Canucks

But is all the hate justified? Take it from a neutral party, Los Angeles Kings defenceman Willie Mitchell, a former Canuck.

"I'm on both sides," the veteran said. "I can see how guys feel that way a bit about (the Canucks).They work hard and battle hard and compete. When you do that, people don't like you. They're good people, but they play that way."

Mitchell's teammate, Drew Doughty, wasn't as conservative with his critique, showing no hesitation in throwing the Canucks under the bus.

"Almost every single team will say that they are (the most hated)," the Kings defenceman said. "They have those guys who do things that tick you off on the ice to get under your skin, and some of them are good at it. If they're losing, you can blow them off. But because they're good, it definitely makes it more annoying."

Adam Burish agreed, even if he, too, was ultimately paying Vancouver a compliment.

"They're at the top, so you're going to hate them naturally," the Dallas Stars winger and former Blackhawks agitator said. "Most guys will say, 'I can't stand them.' There wasn't one bit of sadness when I saw them crying after they lost the Stanley Cup last year. I hate those guys, but I can give them a little bit of respect because they're doing something right."

Among the Canucks' regular troublemakers are Alex Burrows and Maxim Lapierre, who play obnoxious roles while contributing offensively. Kesler, the current Selke Trophy holder as a forward with the most defensive skill, isn't far behind in terms of on-ice antics.

"There's a certain, I'll say, confidence that they have that probably bugs guys," said Winnipeg Jets captain Andrew Ladd, also a former Blackhawk. "It's good for the league when you have kind of the good and bad, and good and evil, playing out."
Lapierre also voted the player most NHLers wanted to fight.
KuGsj.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've heard you can't walk around Mississippi wearing a Canucks jersey without getting beaten up.

Also meant to post this earlier. Everyone loves to hate the Canucks

Lapierre also voted the player most NHLers wanted to fight.
KuGsj.gif

Lapierre would probably win any poll anywhere that revolves around who wants to fight whom. He'd probably even win that poll within the Canucks. His face is just so... punchable...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still room on the Panthers bandwagon before tonight's game guys.

...guys??

are_you_in__by_fjojr-d4tg0ni.png
Pony shit thread is thata way ----------------> Take Tabris with you too while you're at it

I'm reading an article on draft success of NHL teams, and according to it Kulemin is the best player Leafs have drafted since 2002 :lol :lol although they mention that Rask and potentially Kadri will surpass him soon.

Red_Man

12 hrs to go. Sweet, tasty, multicolored, pie-filled baby Jesus. It's playoff hockey time in South Florida!
How have Panthers matched up against the Devils this season? I want the Devils swept, less Devil hockey on tv, the better off the rest of the world is.

How have Panthers matched up against the Devils this season? I want the Devils swept, less Devil hockey on tv, the better off the rest of the world is.
2-1-1. Last game was 3-1 panthers, and the regulation loss was when Markstrom tweaked his knee during the game. They have more scoring depth but the Panthers blue-line is far better. Goaltending per the stats Theo and Brodeur are about even. So it should be close, but I say Panthers in 6.

The plan should be move pucks along the boards and play pucks deep. Also to force Ilya to turnover the puck. Also to keep a strong forecheck to turnover the puck from their d-men. I hope the Panthers shy away from the open ice skating from zone to zone. Campbell, Garrison, Kulikov, Gudbranson, and Jovo are all great snipers. The more the panthers can rely on them to make big point shots and the forwards to screen/ pick up rebounds the better they'll be.

This is so fucking true. The Panthers were 2-2 against the Devils this year so it should be a close series, but the only thing the Devils were good at was shootouts and they wont have those to save them in the playoffs. I really think the Panthers are going to win this series.

Red_Man

2-1-1. Last game was 3-1 panthers, and the regulation loss was when Markstrom tweaked his knee during the game. They have more scoring depth but the Panthers blue-line is far better. Goaltending per the stats Theo and Brodeur are about even. So it should be close, but I say Panthers in 6.
Gotchya, Panthers are the most likely to upset in my books, if Brodeur shits the bed then it's theirs for the taking as long as they can handle Kovalchuk.

This is so fucking true. The Panthers were 2-2 against the Devils this year so it should be a close series, but the only thing the Devils were good at was shootouts and they wont have those to save them in the playoffs. I really think the Panthers are going to win this series.
The games they played against the Habs this year were literally some of the worst games of the year which is saying a lot considering the year Montreal had. Just so awful and frustrating to watch.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That Krejci thing from last night was scary as fuck. There isn't any news about him, just that he got up and skated off fine, but holy shit that looked painful the way his neck bent.

The games they played against the Habs this year were literally some of the worst games of the year which is saying a lot considering the year Montreal had. Just so awful and frustrating to watch.

Yeah it really is to bad the NHL cant do more to de-incentivize that style of play. It makes for awful games that only the most dedicated fans will want to watch. I cant imagine many casual fans tuning into watch a game involving the Devils.

Curufinwe

With all the MTL fans have commented on the Vancouver riot, you would think they forgot about the recent playoffs (BOS win in 2008, PHI loss in 2010) where their own city rioted and most likely would have rioted as bad as Vancouver if they had lost in the Stanley Cup finals

I can't really blame them for rioting when they got beat down by Michael Leighton.

ShaneB

Called in sick to work, so this will feel like an extra long day before more hockey tonight :( wish I could get more sleep in.

Few comments about the discussion, crazy to see that the Yotes/Hawks went into OT as well. It needs to be said again, there's nothing better than playoff hockey!

The cost of entry is a huge part on why hockey is extremely hard to grow the sport. For something like baseball or basketball, you need minimal equipment, but hockey is a damn expensive sport. I guess football might not be cheap either, so maybe it's a moot point.

As for Toronto being Canada's most hated team. I'm not shocked. The Canucks get the hate because they're actually a good team. The Leafs get hated on because the media won't shut up about the leafs. At this point it's funnier to see the leafs be front page news because of how bad they are, not because they're doing well.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
As for Toronto being Canada's most hated team. I'm not shocked. The Canucks get the hate because they're actually a good team. The Leafs get hated on because the media won't shut up about the leafs. At this point it's funnier to see the leafs be front page news because of how bad they are, not because they're doing well.

Media just giving everyone what they wants. 24/7 Leafs baybee!

Top Bottom