• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Quick

Banned
Don't know if I'm about to answer a troll question or fall into some trap, but Shea Stadium and Citi Field, and Yankee Stadium and Yankee Stadium are in the same location.

Marvie_3

Banned
You are just ranting nonsense. You also asked me a question about the fanbase's transition from Shea to Citi and YS to NYS. That is an absurd question.

Both moves resulted in lower attendance numbers the next year which contradicts your "newer arena = better attendance" nonsense.

Sanjuro

The diehard islander fans aren't the ones they need to worry about. Of course they will travel, they are diehards. Unfortunately, due to years of bad play and terrible management, those are becoming fewer and fewer. And will be even less when the guy whose had season tickets to the Islanders since the 80's finds out his new seats are right in front of a column in the new building. Maybe the team starts doing better with all these high draft picks, and you get younger fans to grow up with you. But that will be a tough sell when these kids parents are Rangers fans through and through.

By different dynamics, I meant that there is less of a rivalry. I don't believe Knicks and Nets fans hate each other as much as Islanders and Rangers fans do.

Yeah. I think the fact is rivalries in hockey are currently larger between fanbases than in basketball. There is definitely no hatred there.

Both moves resulted in lower attendance numbers the next year which contradicts your "newer arena = better attendance" nonsense.

I actually haven't been arguing that at all, but okay...

ShaneB

We lost a coinflip first game and a second game we should've won... both by 2-1 OT scores at home...

I can't decide whether I'm expecting the world's closest sweep or for the coinflips to balance out in LA.

I'm hoping for some Devils wins now just to make it a damn series!

Also, I didn't think it was possible for this things to get any more insane in Glendale, god dammit, what a ridiculous tale.

Marvie_3

Banned
I actually haven't been arguing that at all, but okay...
So you don't really have a point then. I guess we're done here.

Is there any new info on what's going on?

Supposedly the arena management agreement will be released tomorrow or Tuesday and the Glendale City Council is going to go over it in a private meeting on Tuesday. Jamison's funding is "still being lined up" (AKA he doesn't have the money). Bettman said a few days ago that he couldn't guarantee the Coyotes would be in Glendale next year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Bettman/Jamison try to squeeze more money out of Glendale and have the city reject it. Then without the additional funds from the city, Jamison's funding "falls apart" and the team is gone. The NHL can then place all the blame on Glendale for the Coyotes moving.

Clydefrog

We lost a coinflip first game and a second game we should've won... both by 2-1 OT scores at home...

I can't decide whether I'm expecting the world's closest sweep or for the coinflips to balance out in LA.

you just gotta shoot high against Quick, according to the NBC commentators

Kovalchuk took that as meaning "hit the crossbar each time you get a game-winning opportunity"

There are plenty of Boston fans that are pissed. But when a guy brings you a Cup in the same year he wins the Conn Smythe and Vezina, its understandable why some fans would want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If Giggy acted the way Thomas did, I'd throw out my framed picture of him holding the Conn Smythe in a moments notice.

It's not just what a player does on the ice that earns all the respect, it's who that player is as well.

... But that's just me.

Revenant

That's because zombies attack the brains. All the players had helmets on... Give him free reign on the ice with helmet-less players, and BAM. 5 game suspension for biting scalps.

To be fair I don't think it's fair that the ducks use a warlock like Teemu Selanne... that man laughs at aging.

Clydefrog

To be fair I don't think it's fair that the ducks use a warlock like Teemu Selanne... that man laughs at aging.

^^ Honestly, this. I HATE Selanne because of how good and ageless he is. He's also really ugly. If he wore a Kings jersey though, I would worship him.

Fuck you Ducks fans that hate seeing LA potentially winning a cup. a) it hasn't happened yet. and, b) you won it first.

Socreges

Banned
I honestly didn't mean it in a sinister manner.

Tim Thomas hasn't committed a crime or anything. He has been playing exceptional goaltending ever since getting his chance up here. He is seems like a genuinely good guy with some serious political screw looses.

I'm not sure what people are looking for me to say?
I agree 100%.

That said, I still don't understand how you can believe that he's doing this just for the good of his family, or that it's no one's business but his own (for reasons that I've stated above). But whatever. If Luongo had played to Thomas' level in 10-11, he could kill a family of 3 and I'd implore people to hear him out first.

CBC is currently showing Game 5 of the 2002 Cup final between Carolina and Detroit if anyone is interested in watching.
It's 1am here but screw it lol

Socreges

Banned
CBC is currently showing Game 5 of the 2002 Cup final between Carolina and Detroit if anyone is interested in watching.
Team payrolls:

Detroit $64.4M
Carolina $33.0M

Detroit had the highest payroll in the NHL by $7M. Funny seeing all these big names on one side and Irbe being really the only reason why Carolina had a chance at all.

...he was no Hasek, though. Wow. Just saw an awesome save he made.

Team payrolls:

Detroit $64.4M
Carolina $33.0M

Detroit had the highest payroll in the NHL by $7M. Funny seeing all these big names on one side and Irbe being really the only reason why Carolina had a chance at all.

You see the goalie breakdown flash on screen? Hasek had like a 1.44 GAA

^^ Honestly, this. I HATE Selanne because of how good and ageless he is. He's also really ugly. If he wore a Kings jersey though, I would worship him.

Fuck you Ducks fans that hate seeing LA potentially winning a cup. a) it hasn't happened yet. and, b) you won it first.

Clydeclydeclyde... How do I put this...

I'd be happy if YOUR team won a cup.

I wouldn't be happy if the LA Kings won a cup (but I would be happy for Penner).

I'd be happy if more LA Kings fans were like you.

Does that make sense?

Also Selanne and ugly? Serious?

sD7Jg.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Kings, Fox Sports reach agreement on $250-million TV deal

The Kings and Fox Sports have reached agreement on a new television contract, providing an immediate cash injection that could help the team retain star goaltender Jonathan Quick.

The new deal keeps the Kings on Fox Sports West through 2024 and guarantees the team about $250 million, according to a person familiar with the agreement who was not authorized to discuss the terms.

The contract ranks among the most lucrative local cable deals for any NHL team. The deal is expected to be announced Monday, before the Kings play the New Jersey Devils in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final.

That's huge for the Kings.

Sanjuro

Trying to prove a point = trolling.

Which you then chose to not reply to and instead dance around the question like George Bush.

Like George Bush? Huh?

If you think that the point is worth discussing, then I suggest taking it to the MLB thread. You can ask the members of Yankee-Age and Mets-Age how they are adjusting to the stadium moves for each franchise.

I agree 100%.

That said, I still don't understand how you can believe that he's doing this just for the good of his family, or that it's no one's business but his own (for reasons that I've stated above). But whatever. If Luongo had played to Thomas' level in 10-11, he could kill a family of 3 and I'd implore people to hear him out first.

At the moment, I still believe it could simply be that reason. Even Chiarelli has mentioned about the toll on Thomas just after the championship run. Either way, I'm going to simply miss watching him play between the pipes this season.

I miss that team so much, so many players from the top all time goal scorers all on one team. Man was that such a fun team to watch too, good times, good times.

Screw inflation, we could almost fit that team into the cap space right now! Time to bring all the old guys back for another go!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Team payrolls:

Detroit $64.4M
Carolina $33.0M

The only semi-big names that Carolina had back then were Irbe, Ron Francis and Rod Brind'amour. We had some other great players though: Glen Wesley, Sami Kapanen, Erik Cole and Jeff O'Neil was pretty good for us.

I was pretty happy for those playoffs, I remember my biology teacher did a hockey pool. I already won by the conference finals because I picked Carolina the entire way.

The icing on the cake though was Carolina beating the Leafs in the conference finals. I grew up a few hours west'ish of Toronto so it was mostly all Leafs fan. I'll never forget the amount of salitness when I was listening to a Toronto sportstalk radio station the day after the Canes beat the Leafs. "The Canes are a southern team they shouldn't even be in the league!" "If the Canes weren't in such a poor division they'd have barely made the playoffs", "I hope Detroit beats the snot out of them!"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Team payrolls:

Detroit $64.4M
Carolina $33.0M

The game 6 in conference finals still hurts me

If I just wanted goals I would watch basketball or some shit. Good goalkeepers doesn't make a game worse. I think that watch Lundqvist is the most exciting thing about the Rangers.

Huh? We've just had 2 straight 2-1 games that have been largely goaltending duels. If the Rangers had gotten in it would have been the same fucking thing.

Cagey

Banned
you just gotta shoot high against Quick, according to the NBC commentators

Kovalchuk took that as meaning "hit the crossbar each time you get a game-winning opportunity"

I had a great view for that shot, and the sound of the metal pang + the instant disappointment in the crowd... what a stomach punch.

Certainly can be odd arrangements, but NJD is a sports outlet for state pride. Its the only team worth a damn (and soon to be the only team period) with the state in its name, the state.emblazoned on the front of the jersey (convenient pun), and to top it off, it spent much of the last 20 years dominating the senior squad based in manhattan.

NJ has a wild combination of littlebrother syndrome and arrogant superiority complex, all expressed in a stereotypically NJ brash manner.

Without familial ties, you won't get many NY kids growing up rooting for NJ in anything, even though the other NY teams are metro area teams (including suburban NJ). It might as well be foreign enemy territory.

Its largely a shame this rivalry takes place in a sport that doesn't attract too many casual viewers. If this had taken place in baseball, given this area's tastes, it'd be insane. Not that I like baseball.

Ya, and usually there's a strong hate for NJ. The only way you would get that are people from NJ commuting into NY or something which happens because of it being NYC.

Huh? We've just had 2 straight 2-1 games that have been largely goaltending duels. If the Rangers had gotten in it would have been the same fucking thing.

Maybe I was unclear. I prefer fastpaced attacking icehockey but not necessarily a lot of goals. An amazing save can be just exciting as a goal. In that sense the Rangers would have been just as fine but I don't think that the overall speed and "quality" of the game would have been as good with Rangers or Yotes instead of one of these themes.

(I hate that I had to use the word quality cause hockey is just as much about defending and good defending deserves respect but it isn't as exciting to watch. Couldnt find a better word)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Microsoft announced at their PC at E3 today that gamecenter&espn are coming to Xbox live, just fyi. I wonder if they'll also have blackout-restrictions in place on xbox live... :/

Entropia

No One Remembers
Shit yeah there's a game tonight boys!

GO KINGS GO! One more step towards the sweep!

Wednesday night is going to be AWESOME!

Top Bottom