• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Cake Boss

Banned
It shouldn't be anyone's business to be honest. He always seemed like a devout family man from his demeanor in the public and interviews. But, sure. I'll take his word for the time being.

Umm he signed a contract with a team, so its the owners business and the managers, the coaches, his teammates and the fans business because he is still under that contract for that year.

Yeah if he was retiring than its a different story but hes not.

I love how Boston fans try to defend this guy, I'll pissed as hell if a player in my team was deciding to take a year off with no real answer with a year left on his contract, we could have used as an asset to better our team for the future.

Socreges

Banned
It shouldn't be anyone's business to be honest. He always seemed like a devout family man from his demeanor in the public and interviews. But, sure. I'll take his word for the time being.

If he starts going nuts, then I probably would start losing some respect for him. In the sport of hockey in general you don't see too many outspoken people, making his case rare.
It isn't anyone's business? Even when he's under contract and his cap hit of $5M counts against the team?

You'll take his word, even with his response: "See why hockey's just not important right now"? Not to mention all the other highly politicized posts on his wall.

And "starts going nuts"? -- are you waiting for him to disrobe mid-game and take a dump at centre ice?

I understand the urge to be an apologist for someone who basically won you a Cup. But come on.

MacAttack

Okay. Scenario 2: You could mock him from coming back after his "retirement".

I've already mentioned that I hope he plays next season. Not a fan of Rask at all.

It's been reported that Bruins won't toll his contract, so he will be a UFA and will probably not be playing for Boston if he comes back. It's hard not to look at this situation as Thomas bailing out on his contract so he can have control over which team he will play for next.

The Bruins would still like to trade him and don't gain anything by calling him out on it even if he has destroyed his trade value. Its not that much of a stretch for him to say he's doing it for his family if the Bruins told him they were going to explore a trade in the off-season.

Socreges

Banned
If you are conservative, then no.
The argument could be made that any "conservative" that shares his opinions is already well on their way to crazyland with Tim.

It's been reported that Bruins won't toll his contract, so he will be a UFA and will probably not be playing for Boston if he comes back. It's hard not to look at this situation as Thomas bailing out on his contract so he can have control over which team he will play for next.

The Bruins would still like to trade him and don't gain anything by calling him out on it even if he has destroyed his trade value. Its not that much of a stretch for him to say he's doing it for his family if the Bruins told him they were going to explore a trade in the off-season.
Right, this makes more sense. Seems like he first tried for the "America is falling apart and you people care about hockey!?" approach, but since that didn't go over well, resorted to "Gotta focus on family and friends".

[edit] Crazyland With Tim should be a Glenn Beck-ish yell-at-camera talk show on FOX.

MacAttack

Umm he signed a contract with a team, so its the owners business and the managers, the coaches, his teammates and the fans business because he is still under that contract for that year.

Yeah if he was retiring than its a different story but hes not.

I love how Boston fans try to defend this guy, I'll pissed as hell if a player in my team was deciding to take a year off with no real answer with a year left on his contract, we could have used as an asset to better our team for the future.

There are plenty of Boston fans that are pissed. But when a guy brings you a Cup in the same year he wins the Conn Smythe and Vezina, its understandable why some fans would want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Best part about all of this is Thomas saying he still wants to play in the Olympics :lol dumbass especially with Quick rising like he is

Marvie_3

Banned
Glendale opens valve on sewer and water accounts to fund Coyotes

Like many of us faced with bills we can’t pay, the city officials in Glendale, Ariz., are poking around in all of their bank accounts looking here and there for the money they need to hand over to the NHL.

This account in the Arizona Republic is a sobering look at Glendale’s attempts to find the $25-million (all currency U.S.) it owes the NHL for the operations of the Phoenix Coyotes over the 2011-12 season. In the end, the money was taken from Glendale’s sewer and water account for the second consecutive year, which was not according to plan. That $50-million has to be paid back to that account, which Glendale plans to do over the next 40 years.

Just as sobering is that the Glendale politicians did not seem to have a grasp on just where that money was coming from.

The plan was that the money-losing Coyotes were to be sold before this season’s bill came due. Then the $25-million was supposed to be the responsibility of the new owner.

However, with council having conditionally committed to a payment of $17-million for next season, the latest prospective owner has yet to formally agree to a lease with Glendale for Jobing.com Arena. Greg Jamison’s purchase of the Coyotes from the NHL is conditional on a lease agreement.

There is a draft agreement in place and it is expected to be made public by Friday. Glendale council is supposed to vote on the lease at its regular meeting June 12 when it is also expected to formally approve a budget for the next fiscal year.

But nothing is ever certain when it comes to the Coyotes, as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman reluctantly admitted last week.

“I can’t say anything with one-hundred-per-cent certainty,” he said. “I think the likelihood is, based on everything we know today, the process should conclude successfully, but it’s not something I’m in a position to guarantee.”

Jamison, the commissioner said, “continues to put his equity together,” which is another way of saying he is trying to raise the money, if not through investors then through Glendale taxpayers with generous terms in the arena lease.

This nonsense needs to end already. "Who needs water and sewer services when we have a hockey team?"

If he starts going nuts, then I probably would start losing some respect for him. In the sport of hockey in general you don't see too many outspoken people, making his case rare.
He made it everyone's business by publicly documenting his midlife crisis on Facebook.

He is the worst example of a hockey player. Selfish and self-centered. It's all about Timmay, no one else.

Best part about all of this is Thomas saying he still wants to play in the Olympics :lol dumbass especially with Quick rising like he is
Would Team USA even want him after all of this crap? The man's a headcase, he if got in, he'd probably use it to spew off some bullshit political crap.

They don't call the Giants and Jets, New Jersey. The Devils are primarily a NY team, people only care about them when they are winning though due to the lack of playing at the Garden.

They dont call the Giants or Jets New Jersey. They call the New Jersey Devils NJ though. Giants and Jets play where they do out of convenience. There is no mass of Devils fans in NY. They belong to the Garden State.

Revenant

TIM THOMAS IS A TRUE PATRIOT!

ncs7W.jpg

Sanjuro

It isn't anyone's business? Even when he's under contract and his cap hit of $5M counts against the team?

You'll take his word, even with his response: "See why hockey's just not important right now"? Not to mention all the other highly politicized posts on his wall.

And "starts going nuts"? -- are you waiting for him to disrobe mid-game and take a dump at centre ice?

I understand the urge to be an apologist for someone who basically won you a Cup. But come on.

I'm not nearly the homer that you are for your respective team, but not quite sure why other fans would act this passionate about a Boston goaltender.

At the current time Thomas hasn't done anything. Financially issues are of little concern to me. That is the real scumbag, Jacobs's department.

Tim Thomas is the best franchise goaltender I've ever seen. He has won multiple Vezina awards and brought us a Stanley Cup. I don't have a LA fan's mentality.

They dont call the Giants or Jets New Jersey. They call the New Jersey Devils NJ though. Giants and Jets play where they do out of convenience. There is no mass of Devils fans in NY. They belong to the Garden State.

I'm familiar with the area though, there are plenty of Devil "fans" in New York. Same thing with the Islanders.

Sanjuro

I understand. But the number of them is so slim its not even worth talking about.

It's really sad about the Islanders.

From my experience, unless you play in the Garden, or play football, you're just barely watchable when successful. Baseball teams not included.

It's really sad about the Islanders.

From my experience, unless you play in the Garden, or play football, you're just barely watchable when successful. Baseball teams not included.

I legitimately feel for the Islanders and wish that they wouldn't leave the Island. Article in the paper today though about Bettman visiting the Barclay center. They also play the Devils there on the 2nd of October. Could be where they end up, but I dont even know if that would work.

Sanjuro

*gif expressing amusement at quote*

I honestly didn't mean it in a sinister manner.

Tim Thomas hasn't committed a crime or anything. He has been playing exceptional goaltending ever since getting his chance up here. He is seems like a genuinely good guy with some serious political screw looses.

I'm not sure what people are looking for me to say?

I legitimately feel for the Islanders and wish that they wouldn't leave the Island. Article in the paper today though about Bettman visiting the Barclay center. They also play the Devils there on the 2nd of October. Could be where they end up, but I dont even know if that would work.

That would absolutely work. Best possible scenario for the Islanders.

Cagey

Banned
They don't call the Giants and Jets, New Jersey. The Devils are primarily a NY team, people only care about them when they are winning though due to the lack of playing at the Garden.
You must not be from around here if you think this part about the Devils is true.

Devils fans in NYC? Well, we may live or work here as adults, but we grew up in Jersey. NYC is "the city" in short hand for the bulk of NJ residents. It makes sense.

Sanjuro

You must not be from around here if you think this part about the Devils is true.

I was there for about a year. That was the clear cut vibe I got. I'm not saying that there aren't fans in New Jersey.

There are alot of weird scenarios. Growing up, there were more Giants fans around here than Patriots fans.

That would absolutely work. Best possible scenario for the Islanders.

The barclay center is in the heart of Ranger country. Will the Islanders fans in suffolk/nassau make the trek? Who knows. Its a better scenario than leave NY but its not as good as stay on the Island. Plus, the Barclay center holds less than 15,000 for hockey and has multiple obstructed views.

Sanjuro

The barclay center is in the heart of Ranger country. Will the Islanders fans in suffolk/nassau make the trek? Who knows. Its a better scenario than leave NY but its not as good as stay on the Island. Plus, the Barclay center holds less than 15,000 for hockey and has multiple obstructed views.

I would need to look it up, but that sounds fairly close to the Nassau capacity. Still seems like the best option. I doubt they will ever build another arena out there, even if the Coliseum burns to the ground.

I would need to look it up, but that sounds fairly close to the Nassau capacity. Still seems like the best option. I doubt they will ever build another arena out there, even if the Coliseum burns to the ground.

They won't for sure, unless some sort of Terry Pegula type Islanders fan buys the franchise and keeps it where it is. Im probably gonna go to the game at the Barclay center to check it out.

Marvie_3

Banned
Queens has expressed interest in the Islanders. Barclays would be a terrible option. They aren't leaving the NYC area though.

Cagey

Banned
I was there for about a year. That was the clear cut vibe I got. I'm not saying that there aren't fans in New Jersey.

There are alot of weird scenarios. Growing up, there were more Giants fans around here than Patriots fans.
Certainly can be odd arrangements, but NJD is a sports outlet for state pride. Its the only team worth a damn (and soon to be the only team period) with the state in its name, the state.emblazoned on the front of the jersey (convenient pun), and to top it off, it spent much of the last 20 years dominating the senior squad based in manhattan.

NJ has a wild combination of littlebrother syndrome and arrogant superiority complex, all expressed in a stereotypically NJ brash manner.

Without familial ties, you won't get many NY kids growing up rooting for NJ in anything, even though the other NY teams are metro area teams (including suburban NJ). It might as well be foreign enemy territory.

Its largely a shame this rivalry takes place in a sport that doesn't attract too many casual viewers. If this had taken place in baseball, given this area's tastes, it'd be insane. Not that I like baseball.

Sanjuro

Queens has expressed interest in the Islanders. Barclays would be a terrible option. They aren't leaving the NYC area though.

If what KingHenrik30 is saying, that is kind of lousy. Barclays is certainly the best option at the moment, especially if they jump on the train with the Nets hype.

Sanjuro

Fans aren't going to be excited about a shitty team just because they moved into an arena that wasn't built for hockey.

It'll generate more excitement than anything else possibly going for them. Nobody is going to build them a hockey arena. It's not happening.

Quick

Banned
Barclays might be a temporary option but never a permanent one.

If I remember correctly, the Barclay's Center was built with the possibility of being home to the Isles, but clearly they didn't negotiate anything, so the seating capacity wasn't adjusted to accommodate 18,000 on an ice hockey configuration, which would be the average seating capacity in the NHL.

15,000 is way below the standard capacity for the NHL. The MTS Centre seats slightly above it, but they have the fans that pack the building.

Cagey

Banned
We lost a coinflip first game and a second game we should've won... both by 2-1 OT scores at home...

I can't decide whether I'm expecting the world's closest sweep or for the coinflips to balance out in LA.

Marvie_3

Banned
It'll generate more excitement than anything else possibly going for them. Nobody is going to build them a hockey arena. It's not happening.
No it wont.

If I remember correctly, the Barclay's Center was built with the possibility of being home to the Isles, but clearly they didn't negotiate anything, so the seating capacity wasn't adjusted to accommodate 18,000 on an ice hockey configuration, which would be the average seating capacity in the NHL.

15,000 is way below the standard capacity for the NHL. The MTS Centre seats slightly above it, but they have the fans that pack the building.
15,000 works in Winnipeg because of the market size. There's no way a NYC team plays in an arena that small.

Sanjuro

No it wont.

Explain how it wouldn't?

I would have certainly gone to games if I still lived there. Getting to stadium is incredibly easy in comparison to some of the others, likely to find some new fans, the momentum of the Nets first season.

vs.

Never will build a new stadium. Nobody goes out there. Dying team and fanbase.

Marvie_3

Banned
Explain how it wouldn't?

I would have certainly gone to games if I still lived there. Getting to stadium is incredibly easy in comparison to some of the others, likely to find some new fans, the momentum of the Nets first season.

vs.

Because the hookers don't stop having aids just because they work in a different brothel. Did Coyotes fans start giving a shit when they got a new arena 8 years ago?

A winning team would do more for the Islanders than a new arena ever could.

Explain how it wouldn't?

vs.

Because you move the team deep into the heart of Rangers territory and take the team away from the majority of Islanders fans who reside in Nassau and Suffolk. If nobody goes now, what is it gonna be like when you move them farther away from where they are and make it less accessible for the people who do actually go? Also, the Nets aren't going to bring in any traffic for the Islanders.

Sanjuro

Because the hookers don't stop having aids just because they work in a different brothel. Did Coyotes fans start giving a shit when they got a new arena 8 years ago?

A winning team would do more for the Islanders than a new arena ever could.

You're comparing a team in Phoenix vs. New York. Big, big difference.

Because you move the team deep into the heart of Rangers territory and take the team away from the majority of Islanders fans who reside in Nassau and Suffolk. If nobody goes now, what is it gonna be like when you move them farther away from where they are and make it less accessible for the people who do actually go? Also, the Nets aren't going to bring in any traffic for the Islanders.

Using that same logic, do you think the Nets are going to fail as well? That is Knicks territory above anything else. (Some Celtics)

Marvie_3

Banned
All of this.

You're comparing a team in Phoenix vs. New York. Big, big difference.

Did the Mets attendance increase when they moved out of Shea? How about the Yankees?

Using that same logic, do you think the Nets are going to fail as well? That is Knicks territory above anything else. (Some Celtics)

I'll be honest with you, I have no idea since I care very, very little about NBA Basketball. I would venture a guess and say that it will be very tough on them, since the Knicks are an extremely dominant force in the city. The Rangers were a 1st place team for the majority of the season and they still got bumped off MSG when the Knicks played, and the Knicks were hot dog shit.

But also, the Rangers/Islanders dynamic is different from Knicks/Nets dynamic - you can't compare the two.

Marvie_3

Banned
Answer me this since you're so fucking smart. How are the Islanders going to draw more fans when they're not near their fanbase, play in an arena that is NOT built for hockey, still have Charles Wang running the franchise into the ground, and are having to charge higher prices for tickets because they get no money from concessions/arena revenue/etc. in Barclays?

Sanjuro

I'll be honest with you, I have no idea since I care very, very little about NBA Basketball. I would venture a guess and say that it will be very tough on them, since the Knicks are an extremely dominant force in the city. The Rangers were a 1st place team for the majority of the season and they still got bumped off MSG when the Knicks played, and the Knicks were hot dog shit.

But also, the Rangers/Islanders dynamic is different from Knicks/Nets dynamic - you can't compare the two.

The dynamics are different, but the fans are as well. Brooklyn is more Mets territory, who are not all dedicated to the other mainstays in the city. The diehard Islander fans will still travel.

This is all moot anyway. They aren't leaving the Coliseum immediately anyway.

Answer me this since you're so fucking smart. How are the Islanders going to draw more fans when they're not near their fanbase, play in an arena that is NOT built for hockey, still have Charles Wang running the franchise into the ground, and are having to charge higher prices for tickets because they get no money from concessions/arena revenue/etc. in Barclays?

Christ, you're salty as shit.

The dynamics are different, but the fans are as well. Brooklyn is more Mets territory, who are not all dedicated to the other mainstays in the city. The diehard Islander fans will still travel.

This is all moot anyway. They aren't leaving the Coliseum immediately anyway.

Christ, you're salty as shit.

The diehard islander fans aren't the ones they need to worry about. Of course they will travel, they are diehards. Unfortunately, due to years of bad play and terrible management, those are becoming fewer and fewer. And will be even less when the guy whose had season tickets to the Islanders since the 80's finds out his new seats are right in front of a column in the new building. Maybe the team starts doing better with all these high draft picks, and you get younger fans to grow up with you. But that will be a tough sell when these kids parents are Rangers fans through and through.

By different dynamics, I meant that there is less of a rivalry. I don't believe Knicks and Nets fans hate each other as much as Islanders and Rangers fans do.

Top Bottom