• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

RC

Banned
Once again I was completely off in my western predictions. Oh well, Rangers are still winning the cup.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Once again I was completely off in my western predictions. Oh well, Rangers are still winning the cup.

I don't want to look at the gaf bracket anymore :( Now my last west team is out too with the Preds -sigh-

Heretic

If the Coyotes eliminate the queens I will buy season tickets for next year... I'll be down $50 but I think i'll manage.

Smiley90

From this we can infer that people are 80% less racist when the black player is on their own team.

I love how the first guy starts with "Not to offend any of my black followers"... like, OH REALLY you don't want to offend them? You say?

Smiley90

What did he do?

If seriously uninformed: Took a double minor (for high-sticking) 20 seconds before the end of the game with the Caps up 2-1. Rangers tied the game 7 seconds before the end of the 3rd and then scored 90sec into OT to win it. Whoops.

Heretic

If seriously uninformed: Took a double minor (for high-sticking) 20 seconds before the end of the game with the Caps up 2-1. Rangers tied the game 7 seconds before the end of the 3rd and then scored 90sec into OT to win it. Whoops.

Ouch. Getzlaf pulled something similar against the Flyers that cost them the game. I understand the rage. I'm saddened by the comments.

Thanks for info. Had the game on in the background and only caught the faceoff which led to the goal.

Socreges

Banned
Damn even bish is turning on Ward now

The latent racism is really something that's unique to leagues where the black athlete is rare. There are so few black players in the NHL that when one does something impressive (good or bad), his race is instantly in focus for many people. The night that Ward scored the OT goal to put the Caps through, I had a black friend message me asking who this Joel Ward guy is (doesn't follow hockey closely), so that's the good end of things. If there were a handful of black players on each team, no one would be able to (or care to) identify them by their race.

I love how the first guy starts with "Not to offend any of my black followers"... like, OH REALLY you don't want to offend them? You say?

"I'm not racist, but..." is like the war cry of the delusional racist. You can hear it streaming from the hills as a tribe of them power on down to Urban Outfitters.

Solo

Congrats to all the Yotes fans!

1304618376_tumbleweedwae41.gif

Man these playoffs started out so well but now they are looking like one of the worst playoffs ever. I cant believe the fucking Yotes are in the WCF. Hopefully a natural disaster strikes the Earth and the playoffs get cancelled.

pringles

Man these playoffs started out so well but now they are looking like one of the worst playoffs ever. I cant believe the fucking Yotes are in the WCF. Hopefully a natural disaster strikes the Earth and the playoffs get cancelled.
Hey just because all the fun teams are eliminated and a game between Belarus and Kazakstan in the World Championships have more star players than the combined rosters of the remaining teams doesn't mean these are bad playoffs.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey just because all the fun teams are eliminated and a game between Belarus and Kazakstan in the World Championships have more star players than the combined rosters of the remaining teams doesn't mean these are bad playoffs.

You're telling me the Kings aren't a fun team to watch??

ShaneB

Enough 'Grats Yotes fans' jokes have been made, so I'll steer clear of those.

I feel like a blasphemer saying I'm oddly excited to watch the Kings and Yotes. Will be cheering for the Kings to get to the finals.

Jakeh111

Ugh, shut up. The Kings and coyotes are playing great hockey at the moment. Watching the kings/blues series I'm very excited to see the WCF.

Solo

The franchise that can't be killed. And will soon be gifted a Stanley Cup. Uncle Gary has called the fix in!

I haven't enjoyed the Playoffs this much since 2006.

All we need is a Devils win tonight and I wouldn't care who wins the Cup out of the 4 remaining teams. But I'm a little on the Sutter bandwagon in L.A.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Only Oilers and Canes fans would look fondly back on the worst post-lockout playoffs.

Bitter?

Hahah, you think I don't remember who won?

It was the best final I can remember in terms of speed and amazing goals. Obviously it was disapointing losing Roloson in Game 1 but to force a game 7 after being down 3-1 was something to be proud of.

Carolina's fans matched the loudness of Edmonton, it was great to see them get so involved.

I really, really need to head down to Raleigh to see a home game. Their atmosphere seems amazing. I've only seen them play in Toronto or Buffalo :\

Curufinwe

Philly columnist Sam Donnellon did a nice job of skewering Shanahan for his inconsistency.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...__Giroux__To_tell_truth__lying_preferred.html

Concussions, the mystery behind them and the very real threat of ugly endings to its best stars, have changed the sport forever. And I would argue, for the better.

Which brings us to Mr. Brendan Shanahan, the latest front man for the National Hockey League's discipline arm. Shanahan delivers this smooth, media-savvy presentation following each of his "we" rulings, using select video clips to explain his punishments or, as has been the case more often, his lack of punishments. Honestly - and we'll get back to that word in a moment - Shanahan's rationale for not suspending people like Shea Weber and not throwing the book at Matt Carkner and James Neal was so bizarre it was if he might be operating with an undiagnosed concussion himself.

But now, after a first round in which Shanahan took his share of figurative shots to the head, he has become the peacemaker that fans in Detroit, New York and Philadelphia were begging him to be just a few weeks ago. When Neal, on the same shift, threw a forearm to the head area of Sean Couturier and then Giroux in that Game 3 against Pittsburgh, Shanahan avoided a multiple-game suspension by breaking up the transgressions into two separate hearings.

The logic that followed was as convoluted as the one-game suspension that ensued, and I would argue, dishonest as well. Neal had a history and a suspension in his past. Giroux has neither. That might have mattered in the first round. But clearly, times they are a-changing in the NHL.

By the minute, it seems.

In the Neal video ruling, Shanahan says that "we" were willing to accept Neal's assertion that he left his feet to avoid contact with Couturier - even though Neal left his feet to deliver the hit on Giroux as well. Shanahan also calls Neal's two hits, 40 seconds apart, "two separate incidents."

This time, Shanahan uses this phrase in explaining Giroux's suspension: "When you look at this shift in its entirety . . . "

He does this without even a hint of irony in his voice.

He does this without ever referencing Giroux's explanation that he was "just trying to finish his hit." It's probably not an honest description, but then again, did anyone but Shanahan buy Neal's explanation?

The sad thing here is that Shanahan got it right this time. Giroux was frustrated, was headhunting and deserves his one game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The franchise that can't be killed. And will soon be gifted a Stanley Cup. Uncle Gary has called the fix in!

Not sure what people were expecting. He did it for Pittsburgh, so gifting a Cup for another team isn't crazy.

PhatSaqs

Banned
With the way the Caps lost that game, I really see an ugly loss come Wednesday. Not hoping for it of course but..... man what a deflating knife to the heart.

blahness

I am hoping that the caps can bounce back and play strong on weds. They looked almost as bad as they did in some of their regular season defeats but I wouldn't count them out yet. Penalty aside, they couldn't score an odd man rushes, throwing bad passes, and couldn't clear the puck on the final penalty kill. If they can show up at the next game with the fire they had in game 4 I think the series can go to 7.

t0mp

Looks like Mezsaros is back tonight.

I can see the boys pulling this one out tonight, rallying behind the suspension.

Can't say I know what's gonna happen overall in the series though. If anyone wants to look back to last thread and laugh at me for calling a sweep. SMH @me

Clydefrog

I’m hoping the Kings can get Smith off his game like they did to Elliott. Otherwise, it’s going to be a long, close series that could well go either way.

t0mp

Finals will be Kings vs Devils. Devils win in 6. Kings will roll over Phoenix.

Next year Blues. Next year. :(

whoever comes out of the caps/rags series will make it to the SCF.

Rags > Devils
Caps > Devils --> I never thought I'd be saying that at this point, but the caps are playing some pretty solid playoff hockey. If they were to get thru this series they would have taken out the 2 best eastern teams IMO

both assumptions are obv if the devils make it out, which they most likely will..

Entropia

No One Remembers
Soon you will be challenging Zaraki for most "favourite teams"

I honestly only like the Kings and the Hurricanes. I've been a fan of the Hurricanes since their Whaler days. I became a passive fan of the Kings a few years back. Might as well ride the hype train while I can.

Caps may be able to bounce back. They managed to rebound after Game 3.

Kings and Coyotes are too close to call, but that's what I said about the Blues and Kings. Kings in 6.

LJ11

Rags > Devils
Caps > Devils --> I never thought I'd be saying that at this point, but the caps are playing some pretty solid playoff hockey. If they were to get thru this series they would have taken out the 2 best eastern teams IMO

both assumptions are obv if the devils make it out, which they most likely will..

There's only been two teams to win a Stanley Cup after playing 13 games in the first two rounds, 09 Pens and 71 Canadiens. No team has won the cup after playing 14 games in the first two rounds.

Not sure the numbers really mean anything, especially since the format has changed, but if the Flyers can force a game 6 history may favor the West.

Rags > Devils

I don't think you can overstate Holtby. Last night should've been a stretch for NY, but Holtby weathered it and bought enought time for the team in front of him to get going. The caps are where they are because of him, not because of the teams's play.

Top Bottom