• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Cagey

Banned
I feel good, like I did after losing game one of the ECF to the Rangers. Lots of chances that were "unforced" misses on our part, played an even game with the opposition otherwise, etc.

Kings' size concerns me moving into the next games, as there's stretches where the physical presence kept the Devils from forechecking adequately.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"Last road team to win game 1 of SCF was Darryl Sutter's Flames at TB in 2004"

Damn, that long? Crazy shit.

LJ11

Kings will only get better in this series and the Devils needed a bounce off three guys to even get a goal. They lose game 2 and they're done.

On the flip side Clarkson had two pretty great opportunities to net one early in the 1st. Parise had a great chance but the puck took a bad bounce on that disallowed goal. Fayne had a wide open net right near the doorstep and he somehow shot it wide.

They needed luck to net a goal, but had plenty of opportunities to pot a couple of more. Didn't even look like they wanted to forecheck in the 1st, mostly sent one guy in. 3rd period was strange, they outplayed the Kings for the first half and then it flipped.

cube444

On the flip side Clarkson had two pretty great opportunities to net one early in the 1st. Parise had a great chance but the puck took a bad bounce on that disallowed goal. Fayne had a wide open net right near the doorstep and he somehow shot it wide.

They needed luck to net a goal, but had plenty of opportunities to pot a couple of more. Didn't even look like they wanted to forecheck in the 1st, mostly sent one guy in. 3rd period was strange, they outplayed the Kings for the first half and then it flipped.

Seems to me like the Kings have an answer to the Devils forecheck that gave Philly and the Rangers fits.

Alucard

Banned
For an OT game in the Finals, game 1 felt very tame IMO. I hope things get more exciting as the series progresses. Hope NJ ties it up.

LJ11

Seems to me like the Kings have an answer to the Devils forecheck that gave Philly and the Rangers fits.

You could definitely draw that conclusion based on the first period, but I don't think the Devils were as aggressive, they kind of hanged back. They picked it up later in the game.

It wasn't a well played game, sloppy for both sides. Kovalchuk did nothing, Carter is a corpse on skates, Brown was quiet, didn't notice Richards.

Cagey

Banned

Their answer was twofold: size and going up the middle.

The Devils shut that latter shit down against Philly after Game One. After spending all series takin the boards away from the Rangers, it was like they forgot how to shut down the middle of the ice in the last two games. Adjustments are possible here, and could work very well, given past experience.

The size, though, is a concern.

cube444

I agree that both teams looked scared and had the yips so I expect a better game 2. Size should be a concern for sure Cagey.

Devils need to win the next game or it will be over.

Maybe he's announcing it's his last year! Or that he'll play up until the Winter Classic!

I'm fully expecting Teemu to retire. I kind of almost want him too. We need new blood. Trade everyone.

I actually think there's a small chance that could be the case.

I'd rather have #5 back, but on the other hand he was taking up way too much cap room. Judging by the last 3 seasons, the Wings need all the cap space they can get so they can blow this team up and try to stay competitive at the same time. I'm really hoping for some radical changes.

If only Detroit were in a position to ship Franzen's lazy corpse out of town. Big-money lifetime deals are almost always a bad move.

Maybe he's announcing it's his last year! Or that he'll play up until the Winter Classic!

I'm fully expecting Teemu to retire. I kind of almost want him too. We need new blood. Trade everyone.

Highly doubtful, I guess I'll be joining you guys on that bridge sooner than I thought.

Heretic

I still have a boner

Is... that...
6549972-man-with-magnifying-glass-searching.jpg

Edit: Congrats on the cup, btw...

Did people actually think that the game was boring?

Maybe that sometime they was a little cautious but man the amount of time when they got someone at the board on the forecheck and just kept coming with all the attackers. So glad that all the boring teams are finally out.

Clydefrog

Did people actually think that the game was boring?

Maybe that sometime they was a little cautious but man the amount of time when they got someone at the board on the forecheck and just kept coming with all the attackers. So glad that all the boring teams are finally out.

even as a Kings fan, the first period was mostly bleh... mostly.

but yeah the rest of the game was good. especially OT. especially.

How could you find any part of that game boring as a Kings fan?!? It took 19 years to get there. That alone should have made you tense as fuck.

Anyway, the Kings played one of their worst games and still won, and I expected Game 2 to be much more intense due to all the rust being gone. Game 2 is also when Brown starts to piss everybody off.

That is dedication. lol

It was nice to see the Kings win and Richards and Carter both be invisible. Hopefully that happens 3 more times.

Richards was mostly invisible, but he had some huge shifts as well. Kings 4th line was the best line on either team all night.

Also Clarkson had more major fuckups than I could count.

SpacLock

Good press conference.

Lidstrom feels strongly about Zetterberg receiving captain, and I hope he's right.

This is going to be the first time in memory that I watch the Red Wings without Lidstrom. Going to be a lot different.

pringles

Good press conference.

Lidstrom feels strongly about Zetterberg receiving captain, and I hope he's right.

This is going to be the first time in memory that I watch the Red Wings without Lidstrom. Going to be a lot different.
Yeah Zetterberg is my 1st choice for sure. Datsyuk may be the best player on the Wings 9 games out of 10, but Zetterberg is the hardest working and he always shows up in the playoffs.

Just finished watching the Lidstrom press conference, the end of an era my friends. Fighting back tears because of this, he has been a part of the Red Wings for as long as I have lived, I don't know a Wings team without him...

This is such a depressing day right now and watching Lids fighting back tears during the conference. :(

It's now up to Holland to right this ship come the draft and free agency or it will be a long season.

Top Bottom