• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Socreges

Banned
- Erat wasn't traded? What happened there?
- MacArthur out for 43 games. Nearly traded my 1st to Montreal for him. Dodged a bullet.
- Three RWs injured. No more please

Alright Folks, listen up!

Socreges and myself decided that it would be fun to add a little incentive to win the sought-after virtual Stanley Cup, apart from just fame and glory! Starting this season and retro-active for current league members (that's mainly for you, BigJonsson and Crazed), winners of the Stanley Cup in the NHL 13 GM Connected league will receive a FREE STEAM GAME as a reward! Prizes will vary depending on what's available at the time of winning, but I guarantee it won't be disappointing! The winner will get a choice between 2, 3 games to pick as well, again, all depending upon availability.

Bottom line: Get the Cup, Get Games. Enjoy!
And those of us who don't play PC games? Kudos?

(jk, it's a great idea)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh cool, awesome idea

Thanks, you have a PM too ;)

Reposting for new page:

Socreges and myself decided that it would be fun to add a little incentive to win the sought-after virtual Stanley Cup, apart from just fame and glory! Starting this season and retro-active for current league members (that's mainly for you, BigJonsson and Crazed), winners of the Stanley Cup in the NHL 13 GM Connected league will receive a FREE STEAM GAME as a reward! Prizes will vary depending on what's available at the time of winning, but I guarantee it won't be disappointing! The winner will get a choice between 2, 3 games to pick as well, again, all depending upon availability.

Delryk

- Erat wasn't traded? What happened there?
- MacArthur out for 43 games. Nearly traded my 1st to Montreal for him. Dodged a bullet.
- Three RWs injured. No more please

And those of us who don't play PC games? Kudos?

(jk, it's a great idea)

He should have been anyway. Unless someone refused (commish) cuz i got the msg saying it was accepted.

Smiley90

He should have been anyway. Unless someone refused (commish) cuz i got the msg saying it was accepted.

Maybe someone (you traded with Milly, right?) accidentally made two trades containing the same piece (e.g. A draft pick), then Marvie would've only been able to accept one of the two trades.

Smiley90

My trade with Swance didn't get accepted by Marvie either, what's up with that? I don't think it would have put either of us over the cap, definitely not me. Maximum roster isn't an issue since it was a 1for1 trade.

Thanks, you have a PM too ;)

Reposting for new page:

Cool idea.

If my team doesnt make the playoffs, I'm blowing it up. Everyone will be available. I've adopted a pretty good team in phoenix but I am not willing to become like san Jose.

Swance

Neo Member
My trade with Swance didn't get accepted by Marvie either, what's up with that? I don't think it would have put either of us over the cap, definitely not me. Maximum roster isn't an issue since it was a 1for1 trade.

Only reason I can think of is that I had a few guys return from injury and I had no roster space I guess...sorry.

Smiley90

my trade that was declined with Swance was

Fistric for a 3.5prospect and two 4ths. I don't see anything wrong with that, the only thing possible is that it would have put Swance over the cap, but that I can't check. Would like some feedback on that.

Only reason I can think of is that I had a few guys return from injury and I had no roster space I guess...sorry.

Can't have been about Roster space, since players went both ways... Cap space would have been the only thing. But you'd have sent player down anyway, so... meh.

Swance

Neo Member
my trade that was declined with Swance was

Fistric for a 3.5prospect and two 4ths. I don't see anything wrong with that, the only thing possible is that it would have put Swance over the cap, but that I can't check. Would like some feedback on that.

Can't have been about Roster space, since players went both ways... Cap space would have been the only thing. But you'd have sent player down anyway, so... meh.

Would it matter that the player I was trading was unsigned? It wouldn't have put me over the cap...

Socreges

Banned
Erat was done before Vokoun deal. So nope.

And if Marvie accepted the wrong way, then Gaustad shoyldnt have been traded.. Lol
Depends which order the trades show up for him and which he puts through first. eg, latest first.

But we'll just wait for him to come in and explain.

Would it matter that the player I was trading was unsigned? It wouldn't have put me over the cap...
There's your answer. You're at 50/50. Unsigned players don't count. Fistric would have been #51.

The trade was fine when you guys put it through, but you were receiving both Selanne and Fistric without a signed player leaving, so you couldn't take on both.

Smiley90

mhmmm yes, that would matter, actually. Do you have 50 players signed? It doesn't matter whether they are injured or not, they count. It shows you in your contract screen top right how many you have signed. Damn :(

The trade was fine when you gets put it through, but you were receiving both Selanne and Fistric without a signed player leaving, so you couldn't take on both.

aaaaaah that makes sense. Selanne biting me from his grave.

Milly79

If it makes you feel any better (it won't), I asked about Erat days ago (didn't hear back) and would have overpaid to get him.

I don't really care either way, tbh. I still think I have a good shot at it, but I'll probably lose first-second round again to some CPU team. If I make it to the finals I'll probably lose to you. I have no idea what's wrong with my team when it comes to winning in the post season.

It's all getting boring anyway. I really wish they'd fix the fucking injuries. :\

I don't really care either way, tbh. I still think I have a good shot at it, but I'll probably lose first-second round again to some CPU team. If I make it to the finals I'll probably lose to you. I have no idea what's wrong with my team when it comes to winning in the post season.

It's all getting boring anyway. I really wish they'd fix the fucking injuries. :
And the consistency.

Socreges

Banned
I really wish they'd fix the fucking injuries. :\
Rand0m TAG said:
And the consistency.
I don't think either is 'broken'. Look at how many 'man games' are lost to injury in a season. I actually began to add up my injuries last season since I was getting hit hard (probably the worst) and it amounted to about 250, IIRC. But there are teams in reality that lose 300+. I'm pretty sure we're getting off easy, possibly since injuries never exceed 50 games.

And with consistency, I'd say that's true to reality over an 82-game schedule.

The ups and downs, and injuries, are just more pronounced since we see everything bundled together in two week periods.

Smiley90

Is their any way to adjust coaching strategies?

Under "my nhl" you can "build your AI" and adjust it, then go into gm connected where you can. "Upload your build your AI file". Didn't prove particularly effective for me :lol

Milly79

And with consistency, I'd say that's true to reality over an 82-game schedule.

The ups and downs, and injuries, are just more pronounced since we see everything bundled together in two week periods.

I agree. I can't believe there is such a discrepancy in terms of offline/online GM. I'm playing an offline one and stats are so skewed towards games that are simmed. My teams aren't experiencing any injuries, but when it comes to faceoffs/PPs/PIMs it's so fucked. I still think injuries are pretty bad, considering you at least get 1-2 every sim. I can't remember getting out of a sim without someone at least being DTD.

Under "my nhl" you can "build your AI" and adjust it, then go into gm connected where you can. "Upload your build your AI file". Didn't prove particularly effective for me :lol

I've been running it since day 1 and I've been 1-5th place every season? I think it definitely helps. I also think that's the reason I lost to Pitt/Varly last season in the 2nd round as I changed my tactics to be more offensive since Varly was hot and I ended up losing in 7.

Socreges

Banned
I've been running it since day 1 and I've been 1-5th place every season? I think it definitely helps. I also think that's the reason I lost to Pitt/Varly last season in the 2nd round as I changed my tactics to be more offensive since Varly was hot and I ended up losing in 7.
Interesting. I didn't think it made any difference so I haven't used it once. I feel like I shouldn't toy with it now, though, given my record. Any way of finding out what the default build is in Connected? Would be good to know what's working for this team or if it's just the quality of players.

Milly79

Interesting. I didn't think it made any difference so I haven't used it once. I feel like I shouldn't toy with it now, though, given my record. Any way of finding out what the default build is in Connected? Would be good to know what's working for this team or if it's just the quality of players.

It should show the build it's using if you click on it. Though since it's EA, I would be willing to bet you won't see anything unless you actually have created some strategies.

And yeah, I'm gonna stand by using it as my team was complete ass before I made some trades in Season 1.

It should show the build it's using if you click on it. Though since it's EA, I would be willing to bet you won't see anything unless you actually have created some strategies.

And yeah, I'm gonna stand by using it as my team was complete ass before I made some trades in Season 1.

I have been mixing mine from default and my custom one. Sometimes it seems to work, other times nothing happens.

Milly79

Someone should conduct an experiment with 2 people using default and see if they're the same strategy or if it's what EA sees as those teams playing like in real life (if this makes sense).

It would make sense considering the default my not suit how your guys play together.

Socreges

Banned
I haven't created any strategies. But I do see a strategy when I go to Upload AI Build. I'm pretty sure it's the default one that you see when you go to create an AI Build, though, and not necessarily the default one being used in Connected. I say this because when I click on 'Upload AI Build' it immediately says 'Upload This Build?', presumably meaning that the one being shown is not the one in use, but the default one that you see when you go to create a build....

Hopefully you guys get what I'm saying. Was hard to explain.

Was 2nd last in the East until I uploaded a coaching strategy.
To be fair, you were 2nd last in the East.... but you were also something like 5 points out of 5th. It was just really tight at the beginning of the season. Your improvement could serve as evidence for the AI Build being meaningful, or it could just be the randomness of the sim engine.

I'm a bit skeptical since I won the NW in the first season with a weak team and am now doing very well, despite never using an AI Build.

Marvie_3

Banned
I approved all 5 of the trades I had gotten notices for so I don't know what to tell you guys as far as which ones went through or not.

Smiley90

I approved all 5 of the trades I had gotten notices for so I don't know what to tell you guys as far as which ones went through or not.

I assume once the first one was accepted, the game automatically declined the other ones without even giving them to you to approve. Sad, but happens.

Smiley90

Alright, just got home, and congratz BigJonsson and Crazed for being owners of Sleeping Dogs now! I will contact whoever wins the next cup with their choices for prices! :) The choices, as mentioned in the other thread, were:

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods&Kings DLC (MSRP 30$)
Spec Ops: The Line (MSRP 30$)
Sleeping Dogs (MSRP 50$)

so they probably made a wise choice ;)

During the regular season? I only remember Crazed won the President's Trophy in the year he won the cup in.

I thought I won President's trophy the first two years, Montreal was up there when they won as well.

Now last year, the Pens who I beat in the finals were in 7th in the East, so the playoffs can take any crazy direction.

Smiley90

I thought I won President's trophy the first two years, Montreal was up there when they won as well.

Now last year, the Pens who I beat in the finals were in 7th in the East, so the playoffs can take any crazy direction.

Yes you won both years, which is why I remembered you won it the year you also won the cup ;) I think Jonsson's team wasn't that bad during the regular season either when they won.

Also, LA won the year before that, and they were 8th in the West... So.... yeah :p

MacAttack

Yes you won both years, which is why I remembered you won it the year you also won the cup ;) I think Jonsson's team wasn't that bad during the regular season either when they won.

Also, LA won the year before that, and they were 8th in the West... So.... yeah :p

Jonsson was 2nd in the Northeast in the 2012 regular season and was the 4th seed in the playoffs IIRC.

MacAttack

Harmless crush.

She's not impressed with what you have to offer.

PwGYm.jpg

Top Bottom