• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 |OT| You can't lock out virtual hockey

belvedere

Junior Butler
Skipped 12 but will be picking this up. I've already got new playlists created to avoid the excruciating EA soundtrack.

Filth

Ratings_NewYorkRangers.jpg

seriously? not one player on the rangers besides lundqvist is a 90?

Cake Boss

Banned
Lol of all things to cry about you choose that. Only one player on the rangers is over 90. Who else should be over 90? Rick Nash the 60 point forward? Or Richards the 25 goal guy?

How are the ratings for players across all teams? Are they lower in general with the new system?

Dude, Scott Gomez has the same overall rating as David Desharnais on the Habs team. One had 60 pts in 81 games last year while the other had 11 pts in 38 games. But somehow, EA felt like these 2 guys are exactly the same.... Even if you were to add 40 games to Gomez at about 11 pts for 38 games, it brings him to a grand total of about 22-25 pts in 78 games.

They suck balls at ratings players plain and simple.

Filth

ok i got a little carried away, dont mean to complain about the lack of 90's but i dont think the rating system is good. from kreiders skills shown in the playoffs they still gave him a 68? and yes i know he hasnt played a full season but a 68?

Phthisis

Speaking as someone who's played about 40 games in the full retail game, the difference this year is that the 60-70 players feel way more sucky compared to 80-90 players. The difference is tangible.

Quick

Banned
Just to add: people buying this digitally from the PS Store from Canada aren't going to be taxed (I'm about 90% sure, at least). So, you're buying it for $59.99 straight.

With tax in retail stores, it's around $68, depending on the province.

Whatever i do in early release carries over to retail right? So if i rank up my online pro to lets say amateur 2 card, i won't be reset to rookie 1 on the retail copy? Or am i completely wrong with this?

Be a Pro seems to be a little screwy

- Its not always asking me to sim to my next shift (especially when I come off the ice while the play is still going on)
- I'm never seeing a sim end up in me jumping into the play on the fly. Its always me coming on at a faceoff. Maybe its a coincidence though I'm only in my first game right now.
- Sometimes trying to sim to next shift makes it just say "Sim Pending" and nothing happens till the play ends

edit: I see that you can press Y to bring up the menu if its not coming up. And I finally saw an on the fly change after a sim to shift which was nice. Still feels like it doesn't happen often enough?

I had a chance to play 15 games of online versus last night. The backwards skating seems like it's going to be exploited a lot. The RB/R1 poke check knocks the puck way too far off of a stick as well. It doesn't just knock it loose. It knocks it right to a player more often than not.

Other than those couple things which I know EA can adjust I really don't have many complaints.

Marvie_3

Banned
Wow. So instead of fixing the OTP lobbies, they left position selection the same and increased the wait time to 3 minutes. Nice fucking job, EA.

Be a Pro seems to be a little screwy

- Its not always asking me to sim to my next shift (especially when I come off the ice while the play is still going on)
- I'm never seeing a sim end up in me jumping into the play on the fly. Its always me coming on at a faceoff. Maybe its a coincidence though I'm only in my first game right now.
- Sometimes trying to sim to next shift makes it just say "Sim Pending" and nothing happens till the play ends

edit: I see that you can press Y to bring up the menu if its not coming up. And I finally saw an on the fly change after a sim to shift which was nice. Still feels like it doesn't happen often enough?

I saw this on operation sports first and then read it here and got all confused thinkin somebody must've copied it from here to operation sports. Then, i realized that the usernames match each other on both forums lol.

Orca

Playing as GM of the Oilers and the first trade offered to me was Khabibulin to Vancouver for two third rounders. Checked and they still have Luongo and Schneider...hope that's not a sign of what the 'improved AI' has in store.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Playing as GM of the Oilers and the first trade offered to me was Khabibulin to Vancouver for two third rounders. Checked and they still have Luongo and Schneider...hope that's not a sign of what the 'improved AI' has in store.

Started as Vancouver, first trade I was offered was Luongo to Buffalo... and they still have Miller. Yeah sth is TOTALLY off, maybe only goalies but yeah, definitely weird.

Also, sth is REALLY annoying and NEEDS to be fixed, and that's if you e.g. scratch an AHL player and go back to the rosters, then try to leave rosters it tells you "not valid rosters for AHL team", so you go back to lineups, but the NHL team gets selected first regardless of what team-roster you come from. Then when you TRY TO SWITCH TO THE AHL TEAM it tells you you can't switch because AHL team has an invalid roster, all you can choose is either stay at the NHL team or do best lines. so basically, you HAVE to do best lines for your AHL team whenever you forget to make valid lines, screwing up ALL the work on the lines you've done before.

I HOPE this gets fixed asap.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow. So instead of fixing the OTP lobbies, they left position selection the same and increased the wait time to 3 minutes. Nice fucking job, EA.
I saw that and literally face palmed.....there were already assholes dicking around last game so they go and give them more time of my life to waste.

I think I posted this in the wrong thread but here it goes: I play online (I am not part of any league or anything), I'm grabbing the game on the 11th. I would love to play against some of you so is there anywhere I can leave my gamertag, just a one on one online versus play.

MacAttack

I saw that and literally face palmed.....there were already assholes dicking around last game so they go and give them more time of my life to waste.

Worst part of OTP is waiting for some asshat to pick a team and then have half the team quit when they don't get the position they wanted.

LevityNYC

Banned
I may have bought the season pass to play this weekend..... yeah its fucking awesome.

I'm 1-0 online. They toned the hitting down a bit from the demo (thank god)

The Rangers default top line of Richards/Nash/Gaborik may be the best line in video game hockey history

LevityNYC

Banned
I can't wait, I haven played any NHL game this gen and I have this pre-ordered, so this should be awesome!

You are in for a treat.

Be patient learning the controls.

Not having a "shoot" button is tough to learn at first, but its second nature now. Been playing these since NHL 07. Can't imagine ever going back to button controls.

Snookie

So is it still a grind to unlock all of the boosts this year for EASHL? I havent played since 11. Hopefully the ol quick quarters and put the CPU on easy mode will get me through it again

Marvie_3

Banned
PS3/360, these are basically on par right?

Which has the more active community, as far as leagues go?
360 probably has the more active community if GAF is any indication.

So is it still a grind to unlock all of the boosts this year for EASHL? I havent played since 11. Hopefully the ol quick quarters and put the CPU on easy mode will get me through it again
You could always pay EA to unlock them....

I wanted to get this but it seems to me like not enough has changed from the past versions for me to invest another 60$ in this.

The gameplay feels slightly tweeked, the annoucing is indentical, the graphics are identical, animations and cutscenes look the same too. I mean, god damn. I feel like im buying the same exact game every year. At this point just give me a roster update for 12 and ill be happy.

I wanted to get this but it seems to me like not enough has changed from the past versions for me to invest another 60$ in this.

The gameplay feels slightly tweeked, the annoucing is indentical, the graphics are identical, animations and cutscenes look the same too. I mean, god damn. I feel like im buying the same exact game every year. At this point just give me a roster update for 12 and ill be happy.

not sure how you came to these conclusions, but to each their own

• gameplay has been significantly tweaked, (skating, passing, goalies)
  • graphics have been improved (lighting, player faces, textures, arenas)
  • animations have been improved (skating and goalie animations have been redone from the ground up and most of the old animations have been replaced)
  • cutscenes have all been redone, they completely scrapped the old system for in-game cutscenes, the only ones that are the same are from the pregame stuff (the tunnel and warmups)

only good observation you made was about the commentary which is pretty much the same, except they have different montages and comments on replays this year

otherwise, either you didn't play NHL13 for more than 1 period, or you haven't played much NHL09-NHL12 to know that this is a pretty different feeling and looking game

James van Riemsdyk ‏@JVReemer21

Solid night so far at the @EASPORTSNHL launch event, highlight so far had to be @PKessel81 getting plunked in the head during ball hockey

Fucking Kessel

I won't have the game until the weekend- have they taken out the goalie contact they added in NHL 12, or was it just the demo that didn't have it?

LevityNYC

Banned
ive noticed the net gets knocked off a lot more with all of the big collisions near the net on break aways...pretty darn awesome

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just fyi, the NHL companion app (for GM connected & HUT) is now out for the iOS appstore, it's free!

Top Bottom