• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 |OT| You can't lock out virtual hockey

Marvie_3

Banned
Broken in what way?

Gah my copy is sitting in my car waiting for me to play after work!
I'll just quote TheVisualizer because he summed it up well in the EASHL thread:
it plays a better game of hockey than I've ever played mainly due to the skating and some other key improvements that "ugly-up" the game. The good thing is the game feels different, so it's not same ole shit like the past 3 or 4 years have been.

WHAT I LIKE
  • the SKATING, adding the momentum and inability to turn on a dime is a game changer

• the PASSING, now you have to judge the power of the passes again (like NHL11), holding down the pass power button forever now results in bobbles or misses. This helps eliminate the rocket cross-crease passes that could be stopped on a dime that plagued the game last year.

• the GOALIES, for the most part they are no longer retarded. I really like that you can score 5 hole clean now with snipes, getting them moving side-to-side and slotting it in or through redirections. They are more athletic as the spiderman goalies video showed, but I think its still reasonable. They save a lot more cross crease, but so do goalies in the NHL. They still have trouble with soft shots from the point, but other than that I dont have a problem at all.

• the improved GRAPHICS. This one is kind of subtle, but there were some nice improvements to lighting (check the reflections on helmets and visors and how light reflects off jerseys), ice looks better, a lot of player faces are improved and the textures and colors on the jerseys look really good.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
  • The HITTING, its still broken and ineffective. You still can't hit anyone for shit even if you line them up and crush them. Takes away 1 facet of the game. Good thing they tuned the poke check to be more effective or else you would only have harsh language to use against puck handlers

• The MENU MUSIC, its godawful. I didn't think they could sink lower than last year, but they did easily. I'm pretty sure they are just trolling us now with their choices, good thing you can turn it off in most areas.

• The fact they didn't add anything to the JERSEY CREATION feature :)

I'll just quote TheVisualizer because he summed it up well in the EASHL thread:

I've seen some crushing hits. In fact I got helicoptered last night and seconds later my teammate crushed two opposing players simultaneously into the boards in what was probably the highlight of the night for my EASHL team. We were cracking up for a bit after seeing that one. Also note that in EASHL your skills are sucky so if you want to become a big hitter you've got to put points in checking and strength.

Marvie_3

Banned
I've seen some crushing hits. In fact I got helicoptered last night and seconds later my teammate crushed two opposing players simultaneously into the boards in what was probably the highlight of the night for my EASHL team. We were cracking up for a bit after seeing that one. Also note that in EASHL your skills are sucky so if you want to become a big hitter you've got to put points in checking and strength.
There's crushing hits but they never make any sense. I can hit guys full speed head on and we just bounce off each other and other times I'm not even moving, somebody standing next to me decides to sneeze on me, and my guy does 300 backflips.

Fixed1979

Just want to double check, but there's no PS3 teams setup again this year right?

I switched back to PS3 last year because I don't want to pay for Live, and I have the game unopened in my car this year for PS3 for the same reason.

I might just bite the bullet though and switch it to 360, especially if there's no hockey this year I'll have more time to play.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I can't wait to get the game this week. Got a friend coming up for the weekend so we can play the hell out of it. The skating changes sound great just hope we can adjust quickly. I guess I will have to really practice up my poke check skills.

Ya, I think it's more the inconsistency. It was like that last year too, you could line them up and bounce off or have the awkward thing where you both just stop next to each other with not impact.

And are goalies much better from the demo? The goalies in the demo seemed really crappy still and were out of position a lot of the time especially on second chances, they never got back in position, just like last year. Haven't played the full game yet though.

Just want to double check, but there's no PS3 teams setup again this year right?

I switched back to PS3 last year because I don't want to pay for Live, and I have the game unopened in my car this year for PS3 for the same reason.

I might just bite the bullet though and switch it to 360, especially if there's no hockey this year I'll have more time to play.

I don't believe so. It was tried a couple times but people always faded on playing it together really quickly.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Loving the changes they did to HUT mode, Motherfucking Wayne Greatzky as my first line center. PRAH PRAH.

LOL ALREADY?

Also, now the HUT cards don't have annoying contract lengths anymore, right??

Or what changes are you talking about?

Nuklear

Banned
The only thing I dislike about the game is the new "momentum skating" stuff doesn't apply to goalies. They make crazy side to side saves all the time which they couldn't do if the momentum skating applied to them. The game is good but it isn't perfect.

The momentum skating makes dumping the puck a very viable option now which I think is so awesome! You also need to play defense intelligently in this game. If you miss a hit it will really bork up the coverage in your zone. It's very easy to get caught with your pants down.

Cake Boss

Banned
LOL ALREADY?

Also, now the HUT cards don't have annoying contract lengths anymore, right??

Or what changes are you talking about?

I have the CE edition so you get motherfucking Wayne. The changes that I am talking about is mostly about the lack of career limits with the cards, you seem to get more pucks from singleplayer tournaments, chemistry is much more visible now withthe lines, the store to buy packs is a bit cleaner and they seem to give you a bit more this time around and the whole UI seems a bit better and clean.

Also playing against the AI seems much more fun but I guess thats in every game mode

I have the CE edition so you get motherfucking Wayne. The changes mostly about the contract lengths, you seem to get more pucks from singleplayer tournaments, chemistry is much more visible now withthe lines, the store to buy packs is a bit cleaner and they seem to give you a bit more this time around and the whole UI seems a bit better and clean.

Why would you buy the collector's of this? o_O

thabiz

Just picked this up. I still get hockey this year. Shocking i know.

What is it with EA Sports and the serious lack of gamma/brightness slider adjustments? Are they allergic to it or something?

Marvie_3

Banned

I know there's a few people interested in a PS3 team.

Smiley90

Lol I just checked and hes an 88. WHAT THE FUCK.

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I was about to say "I kinda hope he's a 99, only one above 95", but 88?? LOOOOOOOOL. Have fun replacing him with... Uh... I dunno. Someone better. Soon. Lol.

LevityNYC

Banned
In today's NHL, Gretzky would be too small to compete. He'd get trucked all over the ice.

The instigator penalty caused this.

Anybody want to play a GM connected match vs. the AI together? You get an achievement for it :D ....Well as long as we win haha

And if somehow more than 1 person wants to play, then we can go up to as much as 6 people on one team vs. the cpu.

Cake Boss

Banned
Any of you guys know how to disable the hints boxes that show up every game, telling you how to take faceoffs , take hits etc?

Smiley90

Anybody want to play a GM connected match vs. the AI together? You get an achievement for it :D ....Well as long as we win haha

And if somehow more than 1 person wants to play, then we can go up to as much as 6 people on one team vs. the cpu.

We have a whole league... Or what do you mean?

We have a whole league... Or what do you mean?

I meant like me + somebody else OTP vs. CPU in GM Connected. It pops the win using custom build AI in GM connected and win with an OTP partner in GM connected achievements. I wouldn't do very well in the GAF league cause i'm not every good at online versus/hut online etc.. I'm decent at EASHL though, but doing a quick GM Connected game vs. cpu should be winnable.

They do. Go to extras on the main HUT menu and it should be the first option. I just did mine.

OMG i feel so rich now. Thanks! I woulda never found that lol. My NHL 11 reward was 1337 pucks. I forgot what the other reward was but it was only about 200 something. I know i only have 2.4k pucks and thats like nothing, but to me thats a lot :D

MacAttack

I don't know why I bother to pick up games with an online component on launch day anymore. The servers are always fucked up.

Marvie_3

Banned
So apparently the Favorite Team thing affects your starter pack in HUT. I got both Chicago jerseys, the Chicago logo, and about 5 Blackhawks players. :lol

OMG i feel so rich now. Thanks! I woulda never found that lol. My NHL 11 reward was 1337 pucks. I forgot what the other reward was but it was only about 200 something. I know i only have 2.4k pucks and thats like nothing, but to me thats a lot :D
I got 8500 carried over from 12. :D

Smiley90

Good to know that the game completely freezes my 360 at times.

Feels like I'm back to NHL 12.

Happened to me several times during early release, good times. Also, getting disconnected from EA servers mid-game but not from Xbox live because EA servers are crap. Also, red, check that post in the GAFHL thread, it might be important/urgent.

BigAT

Good to know that the game completely freezes my 360 at times.

Feels like I'm back to NHL 12.

I've had two hard freezes of my console in the 20 or so minutes I've had the game running. I installed it off the disc too.

Top Bottom