• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 |OT| You can't lock out virtual hockey

So apparently the Favorite Team thing affects your starter pack in HUT. I got both Chicago jerseys, the Chicago logo, and about 5 Blackhawks players. :lol

I got 8500 carried over from 12. :D

So thats why I got the Leafs jerseys.......and Carter Ashton, Jonas Gustavsson and Tim Brent :|

So thats why I got the Leafs jerseys.......and Carter Ashton, Jonas Gustavsson and Tim Brent :|

Yeah. If I had known ahead of time.

Oh well, got plenty of good players from the other HUT packs.

But damn, I suck at this game. I was never this bad before. I can't get passes across at all. :(

So this is my first NHL game since Sega Genesis and I'm absolutely terrible.

I can't score, I can't play defense. I'm getting crushed by the default CPU.

Can anyone explain the fundamentals of this a little bit? The in game tutorial is shit.

Bad7667

Anyone else have a broken online pass code? My code is to small to work.

Edit: And I'm an idiot. I just had to enter it when in the game.

I know there's a few people interested in a PS3 team.

People claim to be interested, but they never show up. I guess I'll set up a team. Look for NeoGaf, Gaf, Neo, whatever. It'll be up within the hour. Join it if you will. I still can't make a thread (because well, I lurk more than I post), but we'll at least have a team if people want to join.

I bought a silver booster pack and got 1 player I already have and then a shitty player......the rest were all consumables........but I did get 2 goalie boost cards and put them both on Gustavsson and he is now an 83 :)

Does anybody on here want to play some HUT or GM Connected vs. the CPU?

I'm not very good so if you're super awesome looking for a competitive match, playing me in HUT will be you just crushing me. I seem to only be good at EASHL and nothing else lol.

EDIT: Just noticed i have Gustavsson as my goalie too, but i chose the Rangers for HUT haha. And he's an 82 overall for me.

So this is my first NHL game since Sega Genesis and I'm absolutely terrible.

I can't score, I can't play defense. I'm getting crushed by the default CPU.

Can anyone explain the fundamentals of this a little bit? The in game tutorial is shit.

That tutorial is shit.

Nuklear

Banned

gillFTR

Futureshop deal.

Trade 2 games and get the collectors edition at no extra cost. Spent 3 bucks on a bus ticker and thats it.

Got rid of NHL 12 and MW3.

MOTHERFUCKIN WAYNE.

I got fifa 12 and MW3 infront of me. Will probably do the same tomorrow. I was thinking Borderlands 2 even though I hated the first one and so did my friends.

BUT, MOTHERFUCKEN WAYNE. SOLD ME MAN

I'm shocked NHL 12 is still on the T2 list........I traded it in months ago as it usually drops in value at the start of Summer heh

I did use a tsilon coupon code to get 20 dollars off, so the game cost me 39.99 + HST

Is it possible to play the Winter Classic online against a friend this year? I've been digging around the menus but didn't see anything.

nah. I also wish Ranked online games would default to Continuous OT. I hate shootouts.

They really should. Online Shootout has ranked shootouts and if you play full ranked VS. game, it shouldn't just come down to the equivalent of playing an Online Shootout. OTP/EASHL doesn't have shootouts and it's much more fun that way, especially when you have the occasional epic triple or quad OT game.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid Gamestop pre-order code isn't working for me. Says it's invalid or already been redeemed. I want my 16 weeks of Gold packs god dammit!!!

I caveddddd fuckkkk.

This game is pretty phenomenal so far, the momentum shifts are a huge game changer. I'm just peeved that I didn't pull off the Futureshop 2f1 but they cancelled Twisted Metal right before I arrived. Missed out on the CE and ended up paying full price. Why am I so impatient.

Anyway, lost our first EASHL game then won 5 in a row before losing a heartbreaker. My guy needs some stats asap.

LevityNYC

Banned
The poke check in this game might replace Michael Vick in Madden 2004 as the most overpowered weapon in a sports video game. Tune that shit down EA.

clear31

my backlog is so ridiculous that my copy of nhl 12 is still unopened :(

i need to stop buying games, this thread just made me realize it more than ever

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
my backlog is so ridiculous that my copy of nhl 12 is still unopened :(

i need to stop buying games, this thread just made me realize it more than ever

bring NHL 12 and a random other game back to future shop, pick up NHL 13.

Ardenyal

The poke check in this game might replace Michael Vick in Madden 2004 as the most overpowered weapon in a sports video game. Tune that shit down EA.

Oh hell no. The spiderman goalies need tuning, not much but just a bit to add variety to the goals.

bradigor

Only tune it down if they can fix the hitting. I like that the poke check now stops players being able to waltz through a D like a hot knife through butter, at every single attempt, once players have worked out the timing to do it without anything stopping them, no matter how well you defend.

Now, I can get my stick in the lane, break up passes, force the opposition to think about their entry and their passes. The top players (Datsyuk, Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Stamkos, etc) can still deke their way past, more often than a 3rd and 4th liner can (hell, some players were even able to go dancing on ice with Brett Lebda in 11 and 12).

Some minor tweaking maybe, but no way does it need major work there.

Cake Boss

Banned
And its not even a boost pack, all I got was a different stick and skates to use and thats it. Nothing for attributes or boosts.

Smiley90

And its not even a boost pack, all I got was a different stick and skates to use and thats it. Nothing for attributes or boosts.

Gamespot sent me an email saying EA was atm unable to redeem any pre-order bonus codes, so there might as well be something wrong with the amazon ones too.

Dear EB Games Customer,

Thank you for pre-ordering NHL 13 on EBGames.ca. We have identified an issue with the DLC code provided by EA. Once the issue has been resolved, we will send out the Bonus DLC codes via email. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://link.gamestop.com/t/2675534/129201295/71628462/0/

pringles

The AI for computer controlled players in EASHL is still atrocious.
It's laughably bad. I've already had more than enough of seeing them be gripped by terror of the offensive blueline or dilly-dally up against the boards despite not being pressured.

I will say though that EASHL is freakishly addictive. The hours are just diseappearing. So far I've seen very, very little in terms of cheap goals or general glitchiness. I skipped 12 but compaered to 11 it's night and day. The new skating isn't perfect, but it's an incredible improvement.

This game has some of the absolute worst player controls ive ever played in any NHL game. And after having played the amazing FIFA13 demo, where the animations and controls are "spot on", its more apparent then ever.

Man, just getting the guy to move slightly right or left or to simply start skating up after taking the puck off someone is an exercise in frustration, even with the good teams. God forbid it doesn't take 5-6 seconds for the guy to start skating up after a full stop. Jesus christ, some players i knock down have the time to get back up and steal the puck away before my guy starts having a decent skating speed.... And the animations with all of this, just fuckin bad.

Then you have the speed burst crap that's always active as soon as you press up so you cant even skate forward without your guy being in burst mode (unless you fucking zig-zag the whole way) and thus, the player is a lot less agile.

This games movement is utter garbage compared to the last ones. If anything, its a huge step backwards. Garbage.

Smiley90

You do realize your skater is moved not by a button but by a stick, right? Try not pushing the stick all the way up, he will go slower. Also, your problem with acceleration stem from the fact that... Well, acceleration is sometimes slower depending on the player. It's a lot more realistic.

Also, "burst" is only activated if you also push down the stick (as in, push it into the controller) and push up, otherwise speed depends on how far up you push the stick.

You do realize your skater is moved not by a button but by a stick, right? Try not pushing the stick all the way up, he will go slower. Also, your problem with acceleration stem from the fact that... Well, acceleration is sometimes slower depending on the player. It's a lot more realistic.

Also, "burst" is only activated if you also push down the stick (as in, push it into the controller) and push up, otherwise speed depends on how far up you push the stick.

Its not more realistic at all, if anything its less intuitive. They assume that everyone is going to want to do a max speed of "speed burst" as soon as they press up on the stick and it makes the players overall more clunky and less controllable. If they're going to add a speed burst, then god dammit put it on a button like FIFA does. At least that way, you have 100% control over your players functions and you can still go at a slower speed without having to gauge where you stick is at and slow down to a crawl the way it is now. Now, it takes him 4-5 seconds just to get skating at a decent speed and thats while pressing all the way up, and players still have the time to catch up to me even tho i just plastered them on the board and they fell on their asses. Its terrible. The NHL team should take a look at what the FIFA team is doing.

And dont even get me started on trying to play Defense in this game. This is easily one of the worst NHL games ive played since they added the skill stick.

running is a lot different than skating.

Yeah and it should feel different !

I hope it's not bad though , I picked this up (toss up between madden and nhl ) because the demo was so fun .

Then again I'm a brit who knows nothing about hockey so I hope it eases me in !

MacAttack

NHL 13- The game where passing has died.

Dont even see the point of a playmaker anymore.
Agreed. In NHL 12 all my builds were playmaker, after trying it this year I'm playing with a sniper and a power forward as my wingers. I still have my center set up as a playmaker but it's my least productive position and I'm sacrificing points into passing with minimal returns.

nordique

So, any real differences in the new control methods from NHL 12?

Seems to be a lot of negative opinions about the game thus far

Agreed. In NHL 12 all my builds were playmaker, after trying it this year I'm playing with a sniper and a power forward as my wingers. I still have my center set up as a playmaker but it's my least productive position and I'm sacrificing points into passing with minimal returns.

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means....

Time to read up :(

MacAttack

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means....

Time to read up :(
That post refers to specific game modes (be-a-pro(offline) /eashl(online) ) where you create your own player and build up attributes (ie- shot/passing/speed) for each position.

If you are only interested in standard Vs. play this stuff doesn't apply.

Top Bottom