• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 14 GM Connected League Thread (360)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
ZAPnSqc.jpg

After last year's success, we've decided to bring the NeoGAF GM Connected League back for NHL 14!

SIGNUPS ARE OPEN

If you're interested, please either PM me (Smiley90) or simply post in this thread!

What is GM Connected?

Like the original Be A GM mode, you take control of a team as the General Manager and Coach. You're responsible for setting your lines, deciding who makes the roster of your NHL team and who gets demoted to the farm team, scout for prospects, draft them, make trades, all to go on and win the Stanley Cup! The fun part? You can do this... with GAF! Every member who signs up will be responsible for managing a team through multiple seasons! No more taking advantage of trading AI, this time you'll have to be able to rip off your fellow gaffers!

Highlights for this year's game:

Optimized GM Connected Functionality – GM Connected will be more user-friendly and allow you to spend less time on loading screens, thanks to improved speed and performance in both menu loading and simulation behavior

Other updates include:

- Commissioners can now accept & decline trades on mobile devices.
- Counter trades can be proposed directly from the mailbox.
- The ability to accept trades directly from the Trade Details Screen.
- Users can invite others to a league.
- All games in the league can be seen on the Master Schedule.

Deeper Be a GM Progression and Trading Intelligence – Be a GM game mode is all about creating an authentic hockey management experience. New scouting features, realistic ice-time simulations and adjustable trade difficulty settings create a deeper, more customizable experience in Be a GM mode.

Other updates include:

- Potential is now affected by the number of scouting visits, creating a more organic experience.
- Difficulty can be scaled to make it more (or less) challenging to trade with the AI.
- CPU can sign and re-sign players during the off season for the user.
- Player swapping is easier with just one transaction in the Roster Management Screen.
- Players develop during the season, making for a more authentic gameplay feel.

Manage your team from your iOS device with the free NHL 14 Companion App - Companion App Features

- Make trade offers and sign free agents.
- View your player and team schedule, statistics, scoring leaders, injuries and more.
- League Messaging: negotiate big deals, smack talk opponents, and discuss strategies from anywhere.
- Stay up to the minute on the latest league news. You can view scores, standings, schedules, trades, roster moves, injuries and stats for each team in your league.

League Details

(subject to change)

Team Rosters initially will be RANDOMIZED. This means that you will end up with a mostly randomized assortment of players that EA hopefully creates in a roughly equal way. More equal than the real NHL, at least. The only players that stay true to their real life team are prospects.

Games will be SIMULATED ONLY. This is to be able to advance the league as fast as possible and get as many seasons in as possible. The more seasons, the more your actions, such as trades or drafted players, will affect your team's performance! HOWEVER, you will be allowed to play up to FIVE regular-season games per season against the AI, to check your team out in action!

The league will advance 2 weeks per day, simulated every evening at roughly 11pm PST. Exceptions to this are the Trade Deadline and start of Free Agency, at which an extra day of rest will be in effect, as well as a special advancement schedules for the entire offseason in general. You will have multiple days/simulation periods to resign players and sign free agents, as well as prepare for draft day.

The league will start September 18, 2013. This will allow most people to buy the game, sign up, check out their rosters and start strategizing. Late Signups are allowed.

One team per person. If you don't like the composition of your team, switching of teams may be allowed after 1 season.

AI trading is ALLOWED. However, all trades are subject to Commissioner approval, and if I see something blatantly ripping off the AI, I will decline the trade. If you fill a need for the other team and don't take away their only good player at a position for nothing, you should be fine though. Keep that in mind.

Waivers are OFF. We had huge trouble with Waivers last season where the AI would send your players down the waiver wire against your will and we won't let that happen again, because it ruins the fun for everyone. That does NOT mean that you're allowed to simply bury your contracts in the minors as you want, we'll pay close attention to team management. Please don't take advantages of this.

Intentional Tanking/Sabotaging your own team is NOT ALLOWED. Regardless of the reason for doing so (wanting to drop the team anyway, or tanking for a low draft pick), if we notice that somebody is doing this, they will be dropped from the league.

Stanley Cup Champions

171460438.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Season 1 -
Season 2 -
Season 3 -
Season 4 -
Season 5 -
Season 6 -
Season 7 -
Season 8 -
Season 9 -
Season 10 -
Season 11 -
Season 12 -
Season 13 -
Season 14 -
Season 15 -

Links:

Official EA NHL 14 website
EA NHL 14 Companion App download link

Smiley90

Teams

YjEfA4K.jpg

Western Conference

standingsWestern.png

Pacific Division

wh3zyT6.png
-
K6T33dg.png
-
GfRqsPC.png
-
KWFiFue.png
-
zCu854N.png
-
psrX91V.png
- Orca
LcvxrnM.png
-

Central Division

VsazcLv.png
- Red_Man
omMkhQk.png
-
hm0fWub.png
-
BYIauze.png
- 6for8
C89SDih.png
-
jac9FXR.png
- A Serious Man
lleM0CV.png
- dfa records

Eastern Conference

standingsEastern.png

Atlantic Division

QNgv7fF.png
- Rand0m TAG
bZAZnKJ.png
- OAK35
qeZF2KH.png
-
7skptS2.png
- Cake Boss
4RO6aDJ.png
- MacAttack
M7HJv67.png
-
N9n9MGx.png
- Rubber Ducky
3e6GOK4.png
-

Metropolitan Division

zwB3JUe.png
- Zod the Bear
z3gsNdG.png
-
TBbHOj0.png
-
FOpslfe.png
-
R8g6nm4.png
-
Vz69gDC.png
-
0F8mVlq.png
-
n8pOVbS.png
- Smiley90

Not sure what the time requirement's like. I should be able to check in most days now, but might only be able to do every couple of days later on.

Will take Philly if that's not an issue.

Smiley90

Not sure what the time requirement's like. I should be able to check in most days now, but might only be able to do every couple of days later on.

Will take Philly if that's not an issue.

That's basically what it is. The minimum is probably resigning your players, the rest is all optional. (Draft strategy, scouting, lines, free agency, etc)

Random_Tag, I take it you don't want phoenix again? :p

That's basically what it is. The minimum is probably resigning your players, the rest is all optional. (Draft strategy, scouting, lines, free agency, etc)

Random_Tag, I take it you don't want phoenix again? :p

lol
canadiens if their available (or if last years habs doesnt want them anymore)

when does the season start? can we do a fantasy draft?

Smiley90

lol
canadiens if their available (or if last years habs doesnt want them anymore)

when does the season start? can we do a fantasy draft?

There is no fantasy draft option (still), so rosters will be randomized. There's no proper way to do it, sadly. I haven't created the league yet, but I'll probably make it tonight and will then send out invites.

I have to pick my own team upon creation, so I'll probably pick the blue jackets again - if somebody really wants them, contact me lol.

Also first come first serve, you get the Habs! Since BJ had the Habs before is apparently not getting the game anyway.

Sept 18.

Where is the fucking Android version? How hard can it be?

I looked and yeah, still nothing. What makes it even funnier is that I think Madden 14 has both an iOS AND an android app. NHL franchise, nawwwwwwwwwwww.

Hahaha

I forgot that the Metropolitan division was a thing.......

Count me in for the NHL 15 PS4 league :p

You're not getting it then I take it? NHL15 will be interesting in terms of console distribution. I wish there'd be cross-console play, why can't we just all be friends....

Smiley90

It's a sim league. You should still consider joining but there will be no user controlled games.

Actually, after it was fun towards the end of last season, I figured we'd allow a limited number of played games against the AI during the regular season only. I understand wanting to at least play the team you've developed over ingame-years a few times. Not too many times to not take away from GM skills though, which is the focus of the league. Sounds good?

I'm contemplating between All-Star and Pro for settings. All-Star would make even AI games not just freebies. Hardcore Simulation is a given.

MacAttack

Actually, after it was fun towards the end of last season, I figured we'd allow a limited number of played games against the AI during the regular season only. I understand wanting to at least play the team you've developed over ingame-years a few times. Not too many times to not take away from GM skills though, which is the focus of the league. Sounds good?

I'm contemplating between All-Star and Pro for settings. All-Star would make even AI games not just freebies. Hardcore Simulation is a given.
I think it's a cool idea, but how about allowing a couple head to head games as well or in place of?

Putting a limit on how many times people are allowed to do it is a good idea as well.

Smiley90

I think it's a cool idea, but how about allowing a couple head to head games as well or in place of?

Putting a limit on how many times people are allowed to do it is a good idea as well.

I was thinking about allowing as many Human vs Human games as people wish. Just as long as both parties agree, of course. If you don't trust your "play" skills as much as your GM skills, you can always choose to let the game just be simmed instead. Won't hurt much, since nobody gets an inherent advantage over the AI.

MacAttack

I was thinking about allowing as many Human vs Human games as people wish. Just as long as both parties agree, of course. If you don't trust your "play" skills as much as your GM skills, you can always choose to let the game just be simmed instead. Won't hurt much, since nobody gets an inherent advantage over the AI.
Sounds good, thanks for all your work on this. Hopefully we can get some more players. Is Socreges in this year?

Smiley90

Sounds good, thanks for all your work on this. Hopefully we can get some more players. Is Soc in this year?

He's banned and I haven't seen him on Steam yet. He told me to inform him once this thread went online though, so... I hope? We'll see, I'll probably just send him an email if I don't see him online today or tomorrow.

I'm gonna PM everyone I can remember being in the previous league, to see if they're up again.

r3n4ud

This sounds AWESOME! I'd love to pick the Pens if that's alright with you folks. If someone else really wants them, I don't mine picking up another team.

Smiley90

im good to go. just got the game.
hows draft order determined?

There is no fantasy draft option (still), so rosters will be randomized. There's no proper way to do it, sadly. I haven't created the league yet, but I'll probably make it tonight and will then send out invites.

I'll send everyone the name of the league once I've created it and will send xbox live invites to those I already have on my friendlist. Then you'll be able to check out your team, play around with the roster and start scouting, if you want.

So... there is no draft order? Or what's your exact question?

Rubber Ducky

Neo Member
I'm back for sure, but I haven't picked up the game yet. Hopefully, I'll have a chance this weekend. I'll take Buffalo again. It's time to bring the cup back to Sabre-land.

Smiley90

Alright, I've created the league! Feel free to join!

You'll find it by searching for "GAF Sim League" in the GM Connected Menu! If you xbox live tag isn't the same as your GAF nick, please shoot me a message/PM so I know it's you and don't decline the request.

Since I won't be simming until next Wednesday, feel free to start doing whatever you need to do. Out of courtesy to those who are not getting the game until this weekend I ask all of you to hold back on AI trades until MIDNIGHT ON SUNDAY though, to make sure you don't get an unfair advantage.

Happy GM'ing!

Cake Boss

Banned
Thanks for all the work you put into this Smiley.

Yeah the invite I got was just an xbox message saying join my league and the only options you get isto reply. Checked my player hub messages too and nothing.

So I just went and searched the league. Sent a joing request.

6for8

Picked up the game and a couple of cases of Mike's blood orange so sign me up. I will take Winnipeg.

Thanks Smiley for hosting this again.

MacAttack

I sent a join request yesterday for the Bruins. Still not showing up under my leagues. Will send anothe request tonight, if it allows me to.

GT: xryanmacx

Smiley90

I sent a join request yesterday for the Bruins. Still not showing up under my leagues. Will send anothe request tonight, if it allows me to.

GT: xryanmacx

I haven't been on my console today yet, so if you sent the request after I went to bed, I probably haven't accepted it yet. Will do soon, sorry

MacAttack

I haven't been on my console today yet, so if you sent the request after I went to bed, I probably haven't accepted it yet. Will do soon, sorry
Is there any option for contract amnesty? I'm stuck with Vinny Lecavs (5yrs) and Brad Richards (8yrs).

I seriously want to dump these guys for draft picks or anything that wouldn't hurt the integrity of the league.

Smiley90

Is there any option for contract amnesty? I'm stuck with Vinny Lecavs (5yrs) and Brad Richards (8yrs).

I seriously want to dump these guys for draft picks or anything that wouldn't hurt the integrity of the league.

No idea if EA has amnesty buyouts... You'd have to wait until next offseason to find out? Alternatively, try trade them and I'll be a bit more lenient in terms of fairness.

r3n4ud

Alright, I've created the league! Feel free to join!

You'll find it by searching for "GAF Sim League" in the GM Connected Menu! If you xbox live tag isn't the same as your GAF nick, please shoot me a message/PM so I know it's you and don't decline the request.

Since I won't be simming until next Wednesday, feel free to start doing whatever you need to do. Out of courtesy to those who are not getting the game until this weekend I ask all of you to hold back on AI trades until MIDNIGHT ON SUNDAY though, to make sure you don't get an unfair advantage.

Happy GM'ing!

Oh shit, we're up and running! I'll login later and send a join to the GAF Sim League if I didn't already get an invite :p

MacAttack

I put in a trade with the CPU controlled Calgary Flames. (Sorry if this is too early but perhaps we can make a amnesty exemption.)

Calgary trades:
C Sean Monohan 19yo 4.5star yellow
D Paul Seiloff 19 yo 4star
2015 First Round Pick

Boston trades:
C Vincent LeCavalier 33yo 4star yellow
C Brad Richards 33yo 4.5star yellow
2015 First Round Pick

If this somehow fits under the salary cap (it didn't reject the trade) is this a fair trade? Calgary is a legit Cup Contender with Rinne and sick depth.

6for8

I put in a trade with the CPU controlled Calgary Flames. (Sorry if this is too early but perhaps we can make a amnesty exemption.)

Calgary trades:
2015 First Round Pick

Boston trades:
2015 First Round Pick

If this somehow fits under the salary cap (it didn't reject the trade) is this a fair trade? Calgary is a legit Cup Contender with Rinne and sick depth.

I am fine with any trade with the A.I. that doesn't include draft picks. Thats where the fleecing really hits.

Lecavalier is legit and you should get a nice prospect for him.

Richards is a dump and if it wasn't opening day, you should receive nothing.

I think the trade is cool if you remove the picks. You will get your team into the playoffs. Who knows what the Calgary A.I. will do.

Smiley90

Calgary trades:
2015 First Round Pick

Boston trades:
2015 First Round Pick

I am fine with any trade with the A.I. that doesn't include draft picks. Thats where the fleecing really hits.

Lecavalier is legit and you should get a nice prospect for him.

Richards is a dump and if it wasn't opening day, you should receive nothing.

I think the trade is cool if you remove the picks. You will get your team into the playoffs. Who knows what the Calgary A.I. will do.

1) holy shit, you can trade players with salary retention? I'm surprised EA actually put that IN the game :lol

2) My problem is less with the picks and more with the fact that Calgary already has 3 good Centers in Pavelski (87) and Vermett (83) and Brassard (82) They'd really only need one of those players.

So I'd say it's fine (since those contracts weren't your fault) if you maybe split it up into two trades, to 2 teams that are weak at Center?

I don't have much of an issue with 1st for a 1st, since that could end up either way, we have no idea how the teams will perform.

I'd say they're both worth 4star prospects+, so if you can find that I'm happy.

dont tell me im gonna have the same issues as last time ...
i need a goalie lol
and are we allowed to sign free agents? or do i got to wait?

Smiley90

dont tell me im gonna have the same issues as last time ...
i need a goalie lol
and are we allowed to sign free agents? or do i got to wait?

Feel free to try and sign whoever you want to. You can also do trades now.

OAK35

Neo Member
Might shock you guys with this one. But I put in a trade for Patty Kane. They've got a bunch of solid Right wingers with Franzen, St.Louis, Briere (not so great). Had to give up a three 4 star prospects in Etem, Zibanejad and Morrow + a Pick.

This is my first trade in a GM Connected league so I don't really want to step on toes, so please feel free and let me know if it's totally not allowed and if I should go and adjust it.

Thanks guys.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Guess I'm down for another go, I see Habs are already taken so I'll take the other Quebec team. Gimme dem Nordiques.

Smiley90

Might shock you guys with this one. But I put in a trade for Patty Kane. They've got a bunch of solid Right wingers with Franzen, St.Louis, Briere (not so great). Had to give up a three 4 star prospects in Etem, Zibanejad and Morrow + a Pick.

This is my first trade in a GM Connected league so I don't really want to step on toes, so please feel free and let me know if it's totally not allowed and if I should go and adjust it.

Thanks guys.

I'm actually okay with this trade. 3 4-star prospects and a 1st round pick (i think? The app is weird) for Kane seems like a reasonable return.

Red, you mean the Coyotes? :D

Also just as a notice, if there are ever 2 trades for the same player, I'll approve the one I received first.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
:lol nice try, I meant Avalanche. Ill accept the invite later this afternoon.

Top Bottom