• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

I have noticed little things missing like Go Leafs Go chants during their games or chants in general. I swear stuff like that was in previous games.

Kimppis

Very informative and entertaining thread. I enjoyed the demo and my last NHL was 08, so I considered getting 15 (used, tho), but after reading this, guess I'll pass. Just whatever, can't wait for FIFA 15.

Even I noticed something was wrong with the IQ while actually playing a match. On the other hand, the cutscenes were totally fine and looked pretty next-gen actually. So the game is not 1080p native or what?

And I learned that the sales are only a 1 million copies per year. That's like nothing by EA's standards? They could ehh.. "easily" kill the whole franchise, right? I wasn't expecting massive sales, it's ice hockey after all, but I thought it would sell something like 2 million copies in NA.

Also, NHL is the top selling game here in Finland, probably selling more than Call of Duty. (I'd even say that the whole sport is so "overrated" here that it's ridiculous. It's probably almost as big as in Canada.) If they would stop making hockey games, people would probably riot or something. I'm just wondering will this affect sales here. Yeah, probably not.

It's just that it feels so strange to think that they lack resources to develop a proper next-gen version (and still the last-gen version is exactly the same as 14!!?), even after waiting for a year. The franchise is just so huge where I live, and it's EA we are talking about after all.

Samus4145

I have noticed little things missing like Go Leafs Go chants during their games or chants in general. I swear stuff like that was in previous games.

I thought the same thing last night. Why does the crowd get dead silent right before the face off after a big goal. What's when the crowd would be the loudest.

I thought the same thing last night. Why does the crowd get dead silent right before the face off after a big goal. What's when the crowd would be the loudest.

No clue what they did to the crowd sound, it just seems dead half the time, they upped the presentation for everything else but forgot that the crowd should make noise.

Here's a problem I have in the demo that I hope is fixable somehow (either by some team command in game, or defensive strategy or something):

- Opposing team dumps the puck into my corner

- I get there first as a defenseman with an opponent skating toward me

- All of my forwards are skating hard into the defensive zone, so when I pass it to one of them, their moment carries them deep into my zone.

Is there any way to tell them to just hang back so I can start an outbreak, instead of needing to make 3 or 4 passes just to get out of the zone?

It's all about setting up the breakout. While not ideal at all times, that forward pinching in can help you if you lose the battle for the puck, but you need to give time for them to setup the breakout. I usually pass behind the net to the other D-man and by the time he is ready to pass the forwards are in better position. There are also three breakout strategies. You can try adjusting them to see if it helps.

Stratn

No clue what they did to the crowd sound, it just seems dead half the time, they upped the presentation for everything else but forgot that the crowd should make noise.

I know it may seem stupid, but this confirms me not buying this years offering. I am so sick of the crowd sounds being lack luster for the last couple of years (not improving them).As I said in a previous thread, just go to a Montreal playoff game if they need an example of crowds.... it kills the whole atmosphere for me. Also, the commentators they chose are my least favorite in the NHL. This being next gen, they have more Memory, and they have more disk space to save these sound files..... No! we need more flapping jerseys!!

The commentary is god awful. I don't normally allow myself to jump into hyperbolic statements but it's true. Whatever they use to stitch together commentary is broken and some of the quotes from Doc are garbage.

'Since the turn of the century hockey has been three periods and not two halves' or whatever it is gets on my nerves every damn time.

I don't know if they script this shit for him but it's garbage.

People complain about The Show's commentary but at least a lot of what they are saying applies to the situation and can be somewhat useful from a strategy perspective.

Also, I haven't been seeing much in terms of overlays during breaks in the game. I hope we see a lot of stats overlays on players during GM mode. I do like that every so often they feature a player and discuss his contribution.

I am actually curious to read the reviews on this one. With the amount of feature cut back I couldn't possibly give it anything above a 6.

Damn. Just watched the trailers and want to buy again. I'm weak.

Be strong my dude. Trailer's are finely crafted to make you think the game is awesome.

As someone with EA access and who has played like 4 play now games so far, if you played the demo you have already played this game. Honestly, the pixels just have different colors depending on the team you pick, but they all play exactly the same.

Outside of different jersey colors, the gameplay is 95% the same as NHL 09-14 and there is NOTHING else to do besides play offline against the CPU (unless you are into online 1v1).

I haven't been able to enjoy an offline game against the CPU from NHL 07-present, and its not any different this time. Just MIND NUMBINGLY stupid AI, and the way the CPU plays is so frustrating and maddening...skating in a circle to avoid your pokecheck, rifling passes through your entire defense for slot one-timers, getting EVERY loose puck, immediately retrieving pucks when you poke check them. Its all the same as its ever been.

I went through the whole shame cycle skipping last year's game. All of the steps you go through, trying to convince yourself its worth buying, that you love hockey too much, that you can make it play the way you want with sliders. Eventually I powered through and didn't buy '14, and I ended up feeling very relieved not getting angry at ridiculousness in EASHL every night and commenting on message boards about everything wrong with this series that makes it an arcadey, poor representation of hockey.

This year is simple, they made the decision for you. You don't need this game, its bringing nothing to the table. If you played the demo, you've already seen everything "new" it has to offer.

People act like this is all such a shame because this game plays great on the ice. What?! This game has always been an extremely loose representation of hockey. In short, its downright arcadey. They may have taken a few steps in the right direction gameplay wise, but its still the same core game. A lot of cognitive dissonance going on here.

At least just wait a few months. If you REALLY need hockey and want to torture yourself, buy this thing used off the scrap heap. Don't give them full asking price for it day 1.

After playing a few games with the full EA access release, I have the following notes:

- The menus are BARREN. They literally did carry over almost no modes. Be a Pro, Be a GM, Play Now, HUT, and online 1 v 1. Thats it. The Relive NHL Moments mode thing is useless to me, didn't bother listing it.

- You can play the Be A GM mode like a season mode if you want to. You can assign the CPU to take care of various managerial stuff and just play the games. That's what I'm doing.

- As disappointing as the mode selection is, the gameplay itself is great, which is why I'm still going to buy the game (albeit at a discounted price thanks to the Best Buy E3 Pre-Order deal). It's clear the team phoned in everything else, but once you hit the ice the gameplay is great. I love the new graphics and physics, and I think it just plays better than NHL 13 and 14 did.

This is incredibly disappointing.

I'm sure the game play is great, but any game mode I wanted to play is gone or has been restricted in some way.

Cancelled my preorder, oh well, Destiny will be taking up much of my time anyways.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Saw this article on Reddit, thought it might be worth sharing. Another compilation of features missing from the game.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/760010/nhl-15-might-be-missing-more-than-we-anticipated-xb1ps4/

Ehhhhhh....I reallllllllly want to play hockey on my Xbox One and not have to keep swapping my 360 on to play NHL 14...but looks like this year I'm going to have to do that. That's really a bummer man.

Who's the damn creative director at EA for NHL? They should be fired. I really do hope people vote with their wallets and that EA sees that it's not that there isn't a market for video game hockey, but that it's the fact that their development decisions were absolutely weak and just flat out bad.

My God, this is just ridiculous... I was ok when they announce there would be no EASHL this year but the lack of all the remain modes is unexcusable!

And things get even worse, take a look at the game for PS3/360, it´s exactly the same as NHL 14, even the menus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn5XHhd9zbc

Seriously, EA, go fuck yourself!!!!

This isn't surprising, EA always shits out previous gen games. Same thing happened with NHL 07 for PS2/PC

After playing a few games with the full EA access release, I have the following notes:

- The menus are BARREN. They literally did carry over almost no modes. Be a Pro, Be a GM, Play Now, HUT, and online 1 v 1. Thats it. The Relive NHL Moments mode thing is useless to me, didn't bother listing it.

- You can play the Be A GM mode like a season mode if you want to. You can assign the CPU to take care of various managerial stuff and just play the games. That's what I'm doing.

- As disappointing as the mode selection is, the gameplay itself is great, which is why I'm still going to buy the game (albeit at a discounted price thanks to the Best Buy E3 Pre-Order deal). It's clear the team phoned in everything else, but once you hit the ice the gameplay is great. I love the new graphics and physics, and I think it just plays better than NHL 13 and 14 did.

Yeah, despite all my problems with the game my discounted Best Buy E3 order is still going to be played. I usually only play Be a GM anyway and that is actually in the game.

The gameplay is pretty good too and I actually had some fun games in True Broadcast mode so I think I will be sticking to that this year.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Makes me wonder if they spent all their resources on the presentation quality of the game with the NBC sports deal and pre-recorded commentary...

Reedirect

Wow. I expected some features to be gone on current gen but not like 80% of the game. Seriously considering skipping this year and just waiting for 16. This is atrocious.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
From reddit:

3wYsT6z.jpg

GravyButt

Still getting it. Been playing the trial through EA access. Im really liking the actual gameplay, although at times it can be quirky and unresponsive.

Lucky for me the only two things that bother me that are missing are HUT tournaments (but whatever, will save me money and aggravation I guess) and winter classic games.

Other then that I usually just do gm mode anyways and play solo.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Still getting it. Been playing the trial through EA access. Im really liking the actual gameplay, although at times it can be quirky and unresponsive.

Lucky for me the only two things that bother me that are missing are HUT tournaments (but whatever, will save me money and aggravation I guess) and winter classic games.

Other then that I usually just do gm mode anyways and play solo.

That's what I do in 14, I rarely played HUT or the online versus (being in Texas, I always get matched against canadians and the pings suck).

So can you play a season mode like you can in Madden 15 with just doing the GM mode and playing your team's season/playoffs/finals?

GravyButt

That's what I do in 14, I rarely played HUT or the online versus (being in Texas, I always get matched against canadians and the pings suck).

So can you play a season mode like you can in Madden 15 with just doing the GM mode and playing your team's season/playoffs/finals?
Yes you can.

Reedirect

The worst thing about this for me is that there will be the IIHF World Championship in my country next year and of course all the retailers here know this, so they bump the price up and charge around 80 dollars for the stripped down version. And yet, everyone will still buy it here (including me probably). The hype's simply too big.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Given that FIFA 14 launched with the PS4/X1 and was absolutely stellar, I have no idea what EA's excuse is for NHL15's pathetic offerings one year later. Biggest disappointment of this new generation thus far for me.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Given that FIFA 14 launched with the PS4/X1 and was absolutely stellar, I have no idea what EA's excuse is for NHL15's pathetic offerings one year later. Biggest disappointment of this new generation thus far for me.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think FIFA's dev team has far more resources than the NHL team to make their game.

If I ranked the dev resources per franchise, I'd probably rank them this way:

1. FIFA
2. Madden
3. UFC
4. Golf
5. NHL

Had no idea the game was missing that many features, thought it was just the EASHL stuff.

Of course I pre-ordered on PSN not sure if you can get a refund off of them.

vg260

I only play this game casually every so often, and have this atop my Gamefly queue with an open slot, but after reading about the effort put into it, I'm not even sure it's worth my time.

Had no idea the game was missing that many features, thought it was just the EASHL stuff.

Of course I pre-ordered on PSN not sure if you can get a refund off of them.

Which PSN store? My buddy had a pre-order on the US store and spoke to the live chat support and told them he wanted to cancel due to how much content the game was missing.

They obliged after saying it's not something they normally do.

Which PSN store? My buddy had a pre-order on the US store and spoke to the live chat support and told them he wanted to cancel due to how much content the game was missing.

They obliged after saying it's not something they normally do.

Canada, I assume the US has the same support though? I might try this then. I tried getting a refund on GTA V when the digital version had all those issues the guy on the phone told me I probably would and would put a request in and immediately got an email saying no refunds no exceptions.

Canada, I assume the US has the same support though? I might try this then. I tried getting a refund on GTA V when the digital version had all those issues the guy on the phone told me I probably would and would put a request in and immediately got an email saying no refunds no exceptions.

Worth a try at least. He also posted a link to the Operation Sports list of everything that is missing, whether they bothered to check it or not I have no idea.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think FIFA's dev team has far more resources than the NHL team to make their game.

1. FIFA
2. Madden
3. UFC
4. Golf
5. NHL

No idea, but the gap between Madden and FIFA is significant as well. Whatever the reason, it is clear to me that the FIFA team is far superior to any other EA Sports team. The gap in quality is astounding.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
No idea, but the gap between Madden and FIFA is significant as well. Whatever the reason, it is clear to me that the FIFA team is far superior to any other EA Sports team. The gap in quality is astounding.

Very true. FIFA is a great game in my opinion, it's so simple to hop in and immediately start playing a season of soccer. The UI is better, and the overall atmosphere of playing a soccer game is captured in my opinion from crowds chanting to singing, etc.

In Madden, I still haven't quite got the same feeling of a energetic crowd yet like FIFA does, on top of that, the FIFA commentary is amazing.

I do think I'm gonna just stick with NHL 14 this year. No sense in paying $$ for something I'm probably going to just be frustrated with everytime I fire it up.

Vinc

So I contacted Amazon Canada and it looks like the canadian copies of the game won't have the $25 NHL Gamecenter Live subscription discount... dammit :(

PaNaMa

Banned
Cereal question: Reddit post says no season mode. Someone else said season mode exists, but is inside of GM mode.

In GM mode, can someone verify season mode is there and...

1) You can play a full season
2) There is a calendar, you can sim up to a certain date if you like, etc
3) You can still do all the line edits, AHL demotions/promotions etc
4) Your Be A Pro created player can actually be on your GM/Season mode roster.
5) A friend can take your second PS4 controller and play with you in your GM season mode.

Basically: Can I start a 2014-15 season, from day 1, as the Habs and play through and 82 game season as the Habs. Simming a scattered game here or there on a calendar, same as usual. Manage my roster, call up players from the farm for the next game in case of injury etc etc. Does this exist in the game? If it does not, i cannot buy it.

1. FIFA
2. Madden
3. UFC
4. Golf
5. NHL

101. NBA Live

dwix

As someone who plays season mode and online 1v1 most of the time, I'm still going to pick it up. The core gameplay is superior to 14, IMO.

Kinda silly that season is smashed into Be A GM but whatever. Sucks to see all the other content that is gone though :(

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think I'll buy it used once they patch it to include all the content. To seriously lay down $60 for a 40% complete game...and I think that's being generous...is robbery.

Top Bottom