• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

What's in Be A GM mode, from someone at Operation Sports:

Rather than list what is missing here is what you get:

-You have a calendar of regular season games you can play for your one NHL team that you choose.

-There is a salary cap.

-You can send players to your minor league affiliate's logo and have them listed on a minor league roster and call them back up.

-You edit your lines.

-Make trades and sign free agents.

-You can assign your team's uniform numbers and captaincy.

There ya go.

Why are you doing this to me, EA? Why?

PaNaMa

Banned
I'm eager to see some X360 vs X1 vs PS4 screenshot comparisons. Like DF style, not PR bullshots. I'm just as astounded by the poor IQ as I am the lack of basic features.

I'm eager to see some X360 vs X1 vs PS4 screenshot comparisons. Like DF style, not PR bullshots. I'm just as astounded by the poor IQ as I am the lack of basic features.

That's the thing, the IQ is extremely poor to boot. You could maybe see all of these things being cut if they rebuilt the engine and totally revamped the graphics, but its the exact opposite. Its the same engine, same player models, same animation system.

I guess the graphics are better than last gen, but they are far from acceptable for current gen IMO. 720p for a sports game?? And didn't Rammer say both systems would run at 60fps? What exactly is running at 60 fps, because I don't even think the on-ice gameplay is at 60. IQ is also extremely blurry, some sort of bizarre post process AA or something (as if they didn't have enough horsepower rendering at 720p to use MSAA or something...I guess dat trash back jersey ripple is a resource hog)

Adding to that, the gameplay is tweak/refinement of the last gen gameplay, its not rebuilt. The puck IMO is just as unrealistic as it always has been.

I mean, the team has to have at least like 10 people on it, right? What exactly did they do the last 2 years?

Carlisle

Jesus, that's nuts. I was just getting to the point where I might have talked myself into not needing EASHL, but after this full list holy fuck. EA doesn't deserve $60 for this, and we shouldn't be rewarding this effort. When they put out crap and we buy it anyway the only message it sends is they don't have to try anymore.

I'd rather wait a week and buy a $56 used copy at Gamestop than give EA even a hint of the idea that I'm ok with this. But I'll do one better and skip it altogether (again) this year.

Cudder

I'm really glad that online vs. is the only mode I ever play in these games. This years game is awesome from my perspective.

1v1 online is what I play 95% of the time too, so I'll definitely be buying the game. It does feel weird though given what's been cut/stripped down. The one game mode I play is basically still in there, despite what's going on with the rest of the game.

jonezer4

Forgive me, I'm new to the game. If I buy this, and my buddy buys this, do we have any hope of being able to play on the same team (PS4)?

This no co-op talk sounds too ridiculous to be true. Once they patch in OTP, will me and my buddy be able to play on the same team?

I mean, it's 2014... my buddy and me can play on the same team, right?

Cudder

Whats the likelihood a few features will get patched in? There's no good reason for shootout mode to be out

Slim, I'd say. They've already promised OTP will be patched in, but I have little faith they'll get anything else in there. Historically NHL games only get patched about one time, and then they're done with it.

I tell you, next years game better be utterly incredible with the shit they pulled with 15.

dmix90

Slim, I'd say. They've already promised OTP will be patched in, but I have little faith they'll get anything else in there. Historically NHL games only get patched about one time, and then they're done with it.

I tell you, next years game better be utterly incredible with the shit they pulled with 15.
Yeah..... every september they release $60 patch. I won't be surprised if their plan is to add 2-3 removed features every year and promote them as "brand new" until 2020. What a joke.

Vinc

Meh. Just cancelled my pre-order. I would have bought it if the 25$ coupon was included in Canada but considering we still don't know if it is, I won't bother.

So they throw out a bunch of integral features in favour of wasting time on a new "tv-style presentation."

Dare I say... it's been Maddened.

When has Madden cut features to this degree? Madden 25 made it to the new consoles fully intact even

Madden 13 got rid of edit player, imported NCAA rosters and franchise mode.(They turned it into "connected careers") They also got rid of the fantasy draft within franchise mode.

Debuting in that game was the new "CBS style" presentation. That was the selling point. Never mind all the stuff they cut out.

...But then they amazingly brought that stuff back the next year, and everyone forgave them.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Someone at the EA boards was nice enough to compile this list of things missing in NHL 15 from 14.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-There are no offline seasons in HUT
-There are no tournaments in HUT
-You cannot play a friend in HUT
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-Being drafted is now just a random assignment to a team, no way to influence when you are drafted
-You cannot draft players in Be A GM Mode
-No fantasy draft in Be A GM Mode
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music
-No simming between shifts in Be A Pro Mode

Wow, this list is just sad. I have the game preordered on the PS4(may trade it in if it really sucks shit), but I hope this game bombs just to send a message to EA.

Sean Ramjagsingh has a lot to answer for, because releasing a game with this much missing a year late is unacceptable.

Edit: Would have cancelled my preorder if it wasn't a pain in the ass to do so. As it stands right now, I'm not buying next year's version.

Marvie_3

Banned
That's the thing, the IQ is extremely poor to boot. You could maybe see all of these things being cut if they rebuilt the engine and totally revamped the graphics, but its the exact opposite. Its the same engine, same player models, same animation system.

I guess the graphics are better than last gen, but they are far from acceptable for current gen IMO. 720p for a sports game?? And didn't Rammer say both systems would run at 60fps? What exactly is running at 60 fps, because I don't even think the on-ice gameplay is at 60. IQ is also extremely blurry, some sort of bizarre post process AA or something (as if they didn't have enough horsepower rendering at 720p to use MSAA or something...I guess dat trash back jersey ripple is a resource hog)

Adding to that, the gameplay is tweak/refinement of the last gen gameplay, its not rebuilt. The puck IMO is just as unrealistic as it always has been.

I mean, the team has to have at least like 10 people on it, right? What exactly did they do the last 2 years?
ibh4jj8DrgNPGS.gif

Anfang

Sorry if its been detailed already, it been a few years and ive been wanting to get another hockey game. Should I just buy 14 for the PS3 and skip this one?

Anfang

Depends where you spend your time mode-wise tbh.

I play a little f everything, but its been 6 years or so since Ive had one of the NHLs. I saw the large list of modes/features that aren't in this years version, but not having played in so long I was unsure if they were really worth it.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
I think they knew people would be underwhelmed by the graphics, so they put that jersey flapping in there to give the illusion that you're seeing something new. Someone on the dev team surely realized that it looks awful but it was going in the game no matter what.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I play a little f everything, but its been 6 years or so since Ive had one of the NHLs. I saw the large list of modes/features that aren't in this years version, but not having played in so long I was unsure if they were really worth it.
Well if you're gonna play on last gen, all the modes are in those games. You can get NHL 15 for PS3 or 360 and at least get all the new stuff (presentation, rosters) along with all the old.

Just to confirm: There are no minor league teams in the next gen version?
No, they're there. You just can't play as them during Be a GM.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Of all the games to make me pick up a PS4 it will be this one. And god knows I'll be yelling and screaming at the catch-up AI, hilariously bad player models (Ryan Reaves lol) and cringe worthy announcers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Be a Pro mode is hilarious. The fact that you can't skip shifts is insane. No goals? What in the world is the point?

EA owes us a discussion on what they spent the last two years doing. I'm willing to bet they spent more time designing new clothes to the two crowd models then they did on the rest of the game. What's the point of good gamepkay when there isn't a mode I want to play it in?

Yeah, maybe I'm an outlier but I find it amazing how much time & effort they spend on the crowd. We have away team fans, we have guns with goal light hats, fans with special signs, we have ladie fans sending sexist instagram messages that they are at the game to watch their favorite hunk, we have guys with crown hats . . . BUT WHERE ARE THE GAME MODES? WHERE IS ONLINE CO-OP?

FFS, IT IS NOT A DAMN SPORTS FAN SIMULATOR.

I don't need shit like fluttering jerseys. Game modes, new animations, good AI, etc.

Well if you're gonna play on last gen, all the modes are in those games. You can get NHL 15 for PS3 or 360 and at least get all the new stuff (presentation, rosters) along with all the old.

No, they're there. You just can't play as them during Be a GM.

And be a pro as well?

What's the point.

I'm not going to play as the Bumfuck Nowhere Blunderfucks just because. They need to be integrated into GM or Pro mode.

Meh.

Top Bottom