• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cake Boss

Banned
Wow that Ebert kid last pick of the draft to the Kings, good gamble.

Apparently it was just his shit attitude that scared teams away.

Habs got Thrower?! My boner is so crazy right now.
And the guy we drafted from the Q is actually talented. We got him in the 5th too, so no worries about overpaying for local talent.

I'm crazy about Collberg since I watched him playing with Forsberg in the U20 tournament. He was actually better than Forsberg IMO.

Bozon also looks great from reports.

Cactus

Banned
Shit, I'll probably miss this if it happens today, but:

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590
Burke says they could be close on a deal soon, Burk had talks at Philly and Nashville tables on day 2 #leafs. #SNDRAFT

My guess is that JVR and Hornqvist are targets.

Merguson

Banned
Shit, I'll probably miss this if it happens today, but:

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590
Burke says they could be close on a deal soon, Burk had talks at Philly and Nashville tables on day 2 #leafs. #SNDRAFT

My guess is that JVR and Hornqvist are targets.

No, the Leafs need more defensemen.

Fei

If Burke refuses to make a deal for Luongo, what other options does he have? Looking at the goaltender UFAs, it's just a sad list of career backups and failed starters.

The draft class was weak as hell, when 2 players that had a season injury and barely played go in the top 5 then its a weak draft. Next year's draft is nuts though.

If Ceci turns out as expected then we did good, maybe one of the goalies will be an NHL goalie years down the road.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If Burke refuses to make a deal for Luongo, what other options does he have? Looking at the goaltender UFAs, it's just a sad list of career backups and failed starters.

Well if the defensive system falls in place, in THEORY they could roll with scrivens and reimer to great success

Unfortunately the leafs aren't always forcing perimeter shots and it's why they fail so bad in their own zone.

If they can shore up some offense then it also helps out

Out score your problems

Solo

lg8CB.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Solo

And the guy we drafted from the Q is actually talented. We got him in the 5th too, so no worries about overpaying for local talent.

I'm crazy about Collberg since I watched him playing with Forsberg in the U20 tournament. He was actually better than Forsberg IMO.

Bozon also looks great from reports.

Yeah, seems like Timmins knocked this draft out of the park. Bergevin comes out looking like a fucking pimp in his first draft.

Fei

Well if the defensive system falls in place, in THEORY they could roll with scrivens and reimer to great success

That would scare the hell out of me. The idea of a Blues goalie would make sense considering how much they've thrived in defensive systems.

Solo

Is Burke really gonna roll the dice with Reimer and Schrivens again? Might as well tender (no pun intended) his resume right now.

Solo

Whenever Galch makes it to the NHL, it should signal the end of DD's days at centre. He should be moved to the wing. The thought of many years of Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-? (Cole in the short-term) is mouthwatering though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is Burke really gonna roll the dice with Reimer and Schrivens again? Might as well tender (no pun intended) his resume right now.

Don't forget reimer was concussed by gionta (I mean, he concussed himself on his dive-Healy) and scrivens only tasted NHL action for first time so he might have been anxious

That and the leafs D wasn't exactly doing either of them favors... Scrivens especially lol

I still have big faith in both of them in the long run, more so with scrivens because he played very well for the marlies afterwards

Though it would still be more beneficial to have a proven talent

Cake Boss

Banned
If Ceci turns out as expected then we did good, maybe one of the goalies will be an NHL goalie years down the road.

Yeah the Brassard kid that plays for Roy for the Ramparts is the only chance he'll become something from the 2 goalies we picked, the only other pick I liked is Iron Maidens, if he gets healthy could be another Stone for us.

Solo

So from what I'm reading seems like unanimous praise for the Habs picks in this draft. Seems like at least 4 of them could become legit NHLers.

Razorskin

----- ------
Whenever Galch makes it to the NHL, it should signal the end of DD's days at centre. He should be moved to the wing. The thought of many years of Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-? (Cole in the short-term) is mouthwatering though.
I think he needs another year in junior for the season he missed due to injury.

So from what I'm reading seems like unanimous praise for the Habs picks in this draft. Seems like at least 4 of them could become legit NHLers.

Collberg is already our best winger prospect.

Solo

Are you reading HFBoards? Please don't do that.

Nope (although I will soon for the lolz). But from what Ive seen/read/heard from analysts and whatnot, Gally and Collberg are gonna be bigtime studs, and Thrower and Bozon should be capable NHLers.

The other 3 picks, probably not. Especially the token French guy, who won't get anywheres close.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just woke up, so happy to see Timmins grab Colberg, Thrower and Bozon, We nailed this draft, feels good man.

We got a guy named Frk, that is the sweetest last name ever!!!!!!!!!!
I was reaaaaalllllllyyyyy hoping Habs could get this guy, congrats.

Fun fact : Thrower and our other D prospect Darren Dietz will be playing together next season while their team hosts the memorial cup.

Merguson

Banned
It seems that the asking price for Luongo is high (top prospects in return). Tallon spoke to Vancouver regarding goaltending and said he isn't parting with his top prospects. Makes sense considering other potential suitors bailed out and went after other goalies.

My guess: Vancouver is trying to get Gardiner out of Toronto but that's not happening.

Red_Man

Hopefully the Habs hold onto their picks next year, especially when they have 3 2nd rounders.
They're in a great position to either rack up again, or depending on how this year goes, they could use them to move up into the first or get a roster player. All depends on how Timmins feels about the draft. Perfect two draft days for the Habs.

It seems that the asking price for Luongo is high (top prospects in return). Tallon spoke to Vancouver regarding goaltending and said he isn't parting with his top prospects. Makes sense considering other potential suitors bailed out and went after other goalies.

My guess: Vancouver is trying to get Gardiner out of Toronto but that's not happening.

Very happy Tallon won't part with a Bjustard (likely what was asked), Shore, Howden , or a Petrovic. No bad blood for Lou but it would a repeat situation of Scnhieder with Markstrom.

Red_Man

Philly beat reporter :

"My sense on Yandle. If Flyers want him, they can get him, but either Schenn or Couturier would have to go. PHO wants value"

Makes sense.

DD is still a lot (a LOT) better than Eller right now. If Eller ever gets to his potential, maybe. Right now, the way Eller is playing, and the way Plekanec is used as our defensive center, I think DD's gonna stay at center for a while.

And by the way, there wasn't a random pick in this draft. Charles Hudon could be a sleeper pick. He's definitely no "token french guy" (wow, Solo...). He had some injuries this year which hindered his progression but he was rookie of the year last year in the Q. Even Nystrom, who we picked really late, has the potential to be a sleeper. Timmins watched him play with Samuelsson and asked his scout to give Nystrom more attention.

I'm really happy with the structure shown today.

Red_Man

Gonna be

Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller
White / 4th line thug

In the future anyways. DD will stay up there until Gally is ready. If DD can continue to evolve he could take Pleks or Ellers place long term.

Unless Eller really blossoms or Pleks is traded at the deadline at some point.

Habs writer said they will be keeping a close eye on Schultz, but that seems pretty obvious, still have no hope it will ever happen.

Red_Man

"RDS Info says they've learned if Murray went to Oilers last night, Jackets would have taken Galchenyuk, and #Habs Teravainen. "

Lolwut

"RDS Info says they've learned if Murray went to Oilers last night, Jackets would have taken Galchenyuk, and #Habs Teravainen. "

Lolwut
Yep, that was known yesterday, actually. It's from Timmins mouth. So, knowing Timmins skill at talent evaluation, I think Chicago will probably end up with a steal in this draft.

Supposedly Bozon is also one of the most offensively gifted players in the draft. And he speaks French, what the fuck is that all about!

I feel Timmins really went all out on offensive skill this time. It seems every player we selected, Gally, Collberg, Bozon, Hudon, Nystrom and even Thrower who projects as a Bieksa type has a big offensive dimension. I'm fucking happy with that. No more drafting for fourth lines! Well maybe Brady Vail.

Red_Man

Habs drafted 5 first rounders essentially who should all mature around the same time as our group of D prospects. Timmins and Bergevin just fixed some of the damage Gauthier has done. Time to get rid of Gomez.

Cake Boss

Banned
Habs drafted 5 first rounders essentially who should all mature around the same time as our group of D prospects. Timmins and Bergevin just fixed some of the damage Gauthier has done. Time to get rid of Gomez.

Oh boy, this is getting to Leafs over hyping their goalies territory.

All of the 5 first Habs picks (Gally, Collberg, Thrower, Bozon and Vail) were in McKenzie's top 60. Maybe Timmins just drafts with McKenzie's list.

Later Brandon, take your 5 goals and follow your wallet. It's not like the Rangers were the only team to give you a chance to be a hockey player in the NHL instead of just a punching bag. Whoever signs this guy for the money he wants is going to be woefully disappointed.

He's fucking terrible along with every scrub on our 3rd/4th lines.

Good riddance

Solo

Collberg is already our best winger prospect.

True, although it ain't exactly a deep pool :lol

1. Collberg
2. Gallagher/Holland
3. Holland/Gallagher

*black chasm*

4. Manics

DD is still a lot (a LOT) better than Eller right now. If Eller ever gets to his potential, maybe. Right now, the way Eller is playing, and the way Plekanec is used as our defensive center, I think DD's gonna stay at center for a while.

DD will stay at centre until Gally is ready. So he'll probably get another 2 years there. But come the 2014-2015 season, our centres will be 1C - Gally, 2C - Eller/Pleks, 3C - Pleks/Eller, 4C White. DD WILL be moved to wing at some point. Finally getting some size down the middle. Fuck yeah!

Gonna be

Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Eller
White / 4th line thug

Bingo.

Although, I could see Pleky eventually being moved, in which case it would be 1C - Gally, 2C - Eller, 3C - DD, 4C - White.

Cake Boss

Banned
The best thing about this draft was Pits getting so much weaker defensively, losing their shutdown 2 way Center and losing their 2 way shot blocking dman.

Buffalo, Washington had a crazy draft, everyone else did good, the only WTF are you doing is Calgary.

Top Bottom