• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

McKenzie says he has talked to Shero, and that Shero is waiting until July 1st to make any offers to the big boys. Apparently, the stuff posted by CSNPhilly about the Pens already trying to trade for Suter's rights was bullshit...according to McKenzie. Hmm.

Even if the Pens don't get Suter, I'm assuming that Shero will go out and try to get a physical dman.

Too late, Luke Schenn's off the market bro...............

/cryingincorner

Solo

I'm reading some more about Bozon. Dude seems like he will get along GREAT with Subban. Almost sounds like Lapierre 2.0, but with more offensive upside. I've heard him described as a "world class agitator".

Him and Subban be trollin' :lol

cube444

Big physical defenseman? Pens need a dman who can make the first pass out of the zone and can handle a forecheck. Flyers exposed their defense pretty bad.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
God he must be pissing off management.

I wish he'd started earlier, maybe the media would've been more entertained. Sarcasm-funny-luongo is better than awkward-wrong words-luongo.

He also regularly tweets to NotBobbyLou, a parody character of Luongo that's from... A chicago fan (?) and their convos are hilarious.

Screw Nash, Parise, Suter and Yandle. I'm most curious to see how the Bobby Ryan situation pans out.

iGRlJ.jpg

Dat winger depth.

Solo

If only the Habs had more current NHL talent and could get in on Ryan :_(

I'd do anything to get him....except give up all the prospects we've just acquired/Subban. Which sadly, is what it would take.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
:(

It's too quiet

Edit: someone asked Hendricks if the 2nd deal has fallen through... He said no.

Wtf is going on lol

Solo

Oh snap......Collberg plays in Modo with............MADS ELLER! Yes, that's right, the Good Dane, brother of Lars, "The Real Deal" Great Dane!

Montreal future superline!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
:(

It's too quiet

Edit: someone asked Hendricks if the 2nd deal has fallen through... He said no.

Wtf is going on lol

I'm counting on you guys to keep us posted about whatever epicness goes down soon. Preparing epic "fleeeeced" comments and rage from the opposIng sides...

Montresor

Trade is good for both teams. Schenn just had a bad year that's all. And its not even because of Toronto alone - Schenn had great 1st and 3rd years as a Leaf. I think he would have bounced back and played solid hockey under Carlyle. Hopefully this happens in Philly, with a better team and with being reunited with his brother.

Having said that, though I'm sad to see Schenn go, I fucking love that we got JVR. Hope he turns into a stud. And he has a great contract.

But I have a Schenn jersey. =( What would Leafs-gaf do? Keep the jersey or change the name/number?

cube444

Trade is good for both teams. Schenn just had a bad year that's all. And its not even because of Toronto alone - Schenn had great 1st and 3rd years as a Leaf. I think he would have bounced back and played solid hockey under Carlyle. Hopefully this happens in Philly, with a better team and with being reunited with his brother.

Having said that, though I'm sad to see Schenn go, I fucking love that we got JVR. Hope he turns into a stud. And he had a great contract.

But I have a Schenn jersey. =( What would Leafs-gaf do? Keep the jersey or change the name/number?

Keep the jersey. Remove the letters c, e, n, n, and at the letters i and t.

MPW

Canadiens pick Dalton Thrower grateful for much more than hockey

PITTSBURGH — The moment he heard his name called, it was all worth it for Dalton Thrower.

Being taken 51st overall by the Montreal Canadiens at the NHL draft is big enough for the Saskatoon Blades defender, who can turn a crowd on by scoring a goal from his blueline spot or by accepting a challenge to fight from one of the Western Hockey League's reigning tough guys. Being drafted validates every time during his rookie season when he was 15 years old and knew being strong for his family meant staying with the Blades while his dad, Murray, underwent painful treatment for a cancerous tumour in his stomach. Or seven years ago when he stiff-upper-lipped for his two younger siblings while his mom, Melanie, battled an aggressive form of breast cancer.

"It's huge, I just want to thank everybody that's helped through me all of it," Thrower said Saturday morning at the Consol Energy Center. "I've had great family and friend support, pulling me through the hard times. For them to do everything that they did for me... Both my parents went through cancer. It's helped me come a long way.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...uch-more-than-hockey?urn=juniorhockey,wp12397

can't wait to see him play for us :)

Solo

Thrower plays with a real edge. Between him, Emelin and White, Habs have that bit of grit they've lacked for a while.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yeah... pretty basic Q&A

guess the other trade will be another day unless burke pulls a versteeg... a trade at 11 pm

lupinko

James van Riemsdyk in 2012 said:
"Just the tradition they have there, the city, the fans it's all unbelievable and growing up a big-time Yankees fans, a good analogy for me is that it's like playing for the New York Yankees of the NHL."

Hmm, sounds familiar.

Tim Connolly in 2011 said:
"But Toronto is the New York Yankees of hockey."

Don't get me wrong, I love the Leafs and Yankees, but post-lockout and in general, one is not like the other.
Hopefully that changes soon, or somehow, something something.

And there goes that whole "Schultz has nowhere to play on the Leafs" thing that was going.

Nathan Walker didn't get drafted.

This is the worst fucking draft ever...

On the bright side, we drafted some US College defensemen. I like how most of them turn out. Except the ones that vye for free agency...

Sabres-GAF, I've only been keeping up a little bit on the draft, how do you feel about our picks?

AwCvfmqCIAIpZby.jpg

Nothing to complain about!

Grigorenko could be the steal of the draft getting him outside the top 10. It's a bit of a gamble since obviously several other teams thought he wasn't worth it to let him slip that far, but man... a center that could possibly play as early as this season? Exactly what they needed.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've rarely if ever been that interested in a draft, probably because it was an incredible crap shoot.
I'm the same, I don't usually pay a whole lot of attention to drafts, but I've been reading up on this one since December, plus the fact everyone had different top 10 lists made it the most entertaining draft I've ever seen. Really good payoff for the shit season we dealt with.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs drafted Subban and Pacioretty in that draft. Great draft. Also drafted McDonaugh. Fuck you, Gainey!
Think of it this way, if we hadn't gotten rid of McDonaugh and taken on the living pile of shit that is Gomez, we probably wouldn't have ended where we did, and we would still be without a #1 center. It's a stretch I know, but I'm over McDonagh.

Solo

Oh, I'm over the player too. But I'll never get over the thought process Gainey was going through when he decided to acquire Gomez.

At least we can finally see what that Maxim Lapierre traded ended up being...

This is the pick the Ducks received in the Maxim Lapierre trade, and for the second straight year, the Ducks select a goaltender with an early second day pick. This time, the selection is towering Dane, standing in at 6'4, who has been playing in the Swedish Elite League for the past two years. He's five years (!) younger than this draft class - born in 1989 - and becomes the first Dane the Ducks have ever selected. This is also the second time he has been drafted, after being selected 100 spots later at 187 in 2007 by the Carolina Hurricanes.

Between John Gibson and him, we're now stocked on elite goaltending prospects.

Top Bottom