• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I highly doubt Suter or Parise would have any inclination of going to Florida.
Parise maybe, but Suter wouldn't fit. His hypothetical contract would something to the tune on 15 milli tied up in a 1st pairing on D. Makes no sense when we also have to extend Kulikov(RFA) this year. Semin would be an amazing fit with Huberdeau and Jokinen.

rE0yu.png

James Van Riemsdyk: Dream Maker

ZeroGravity

Parise maybe, but Suter wouldn't fit. His hypothetical contract would something to the tune on 15 milli tied up in a 1st pairing on D. Makes no sense when we also have to extend Kulikov(RFA) this year. Semin would be an amazing fit with Huberdeau and Jokinen.
I don't think it's really an issue of fit or not. The Panthers organization has just been far too unstable for too long. Big players generally want to go to places where there's a perceived better chance of winning, security, and exposure.

cube444

HFboards seems to think Colin Wilson is the one Burke was after earlier today.

Gunnarsson and Bozak...would that land Wilson? Would hate to lose Gunnarsson but they need to upgrade from Bozak as the first line center.

Who is Colin Wilson and since when is he a first line center?

I don't think it's really an issue of fit or not. The Panthers organization has just been far too unstable for too long. Big players generally want to go to places where there's a perceived better chance of winning, security, and exposure.
There is a lot different about the orgination and this year showed it. Look at Versteeg or Flash or Campbell or Goc. All of those guys were deep in teams' depth rosters but came to FLA and got their recognition and their minutes and are all pretty secure. Tallon brings that stability because of what he did to CHI. I think FLA is on the minds of FAs because of that.

Edit: Which is why Semin would be great fit. He is high end skill but was in the shadow of Ovie and Backstrom. He wants to be the "go-to" guy and he would get all of that in FLA.

ZeroGravity

There is a lot different about the orgination and this year showed it. Look at Versteeg or Flash or Campbell or Goc. All of those guys were deep in teams' depth rosters but came to FLA and got their recognition and their minutes and are all pretty secure. Tallon brings that stability because of what he did to CHI. I think FLA is on the minds of FAs because of that.
I agree with you, but that perception is still out there. The Panthers signed a lot of quality players last year, but none of them were really stars. I think they're going to need to compete at a higher level for a few years and stay there to really shake their history.

Not that it truly matters - you don't absolutely need to sign superstar UFAs to win. Drafting and trading smart are much more important.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gretzky's daughter keeps posting pictures online with Stoll in a hot tub and shit, lucky SOB gets the cup, and gets to tap the great ones daughter, oh and just signed a new multi year contract.

I liked Schenn, but he couldn't pass the puck to save his life. It got to the point where the other team would simply sit back and wait for him to do something brainless with the puck. I hope he turns out for Philly all the same, he seemed a good kid.

I wouldn't know JVR if he was sitting on my knee. I guess he is an improvement over the dreadful Kulemin - for the second line.

NBA coaching legend Phil Jackson says Hockey better than Basketball.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...playoffs-over-nba-more-fun-much-more-exciting

"Watching the NBA; not that easy for me," Jackson said. "There's very little passing offense that goes on in the NBA anymore. Everything is off the dribble, on a screen roll, through the screen roll, so the innovation is very limited as far as what's going on. I find myself watching hockey playoffs before watching basketball playoff games."

"You'd watch the NHL playoffs over the NBA playoff games?" Kremer quizzically asked.

"Less commercials, more fun, much more action. Yeah."

WHEN'S SOC BACK, WE NEED TO SEND A TEAM THROUGH TO NBA-GAF

GSt89.jpg

I agree with you, but that perception is still out there. The Panthers signed a lot of quality players last year, but none of them were really stars. I think they're going to need to compete at a higher level for a few years and stay there to really shake their history.

Not that it truly matters - you don't absolutely need to sign superstar UFAs to win. Drafting and trading smart are much more important.

There is a Catch-22 there. With 18 OTLs the lack of high talent hurts most in the shoot out. If we converted 1/2 of those the Panthers would be 100+ point team this year.
Campbell turned out to be a star and Versteeg was on pace too but that injury to his hip slowed him down since Dec. We traded Boothe away and there went the only reliable scorer on the team. The prospect pool is the best in the league with Huberdeau and Markstrom and Bjustard, Shore, Howden etc etc. Those will take time though

The Cats need that high end talent to compete and is the one price from making us to deep playoff team.

I'm Rob Neidermayer, XHL Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and head disciplinarian.

On August 22nd at 7:45pm, Paul Pronger of the Slave Lake Raiders performed a leaping headshot into Brett Gretzky. We thought it was awesome, but Paul failed to do his Power Pose afterwards, resulting in a lack of flair. We have decided to fine Paul $50 and suspend him from participating in the XHLs annual County Fair.

Fine... I'll give you attention.

What's up, buddy?

LOL. I didnt have a chance to comment on it earlier but I am sad to see JVR go. He showed flashes of being great but I am worried about his attitude. Glad that they got a physical defenseman back for him. That was by far their biggest need. I dont like the idea of having 2 brothers on the team but hopefully it will work out.

Fei

-Pens want both, Suter and Parise but will not front-load contracts.

They won't get either if they won't budge on this. No player who can dictate their contract terms is going to take a "fair" contract with an impending lockout. They're both going to get major signing bonuses ($5-10M) to cover them for the 2012-13 season.

Heretic

I'm surprised he went 1 for 1. I didn't hear much of him this season but I think I remember him being really good last season. Unless I confused him with someone else. His trade helps us keep Bobby though =)

lupin23rd

I'm surprised he went 1 for 1. I didn't hear much of him this season but I think I remember him being really good last season. Unless I confused him with someone else. His trade helps us keep Bobby though =)

Did Ryan only want to go to Philly because he wanted to play with JVR? Or is he from there?

I think they did the 1 for 1 since he is hurt now and needs surgery, plus he hasnt been able to put a full season together. I would love for the Flyers to get Ryan but I dont see how it could happen.

Heretic

I think they did the 1 for 1 since he is hurt now and needs surgery, plus he hasnt been able to put a full season together. I would love for the Flyers to get Ryan but I dont see how it could happen.

You never know. I think the conversation he and Murray have is going to decide his future in Anaheim...

You never know. I think the conversation he and Murray have is going to decide his future in Anaheim...

I hope you are right. I think he would be a great fit with the Flyers. I think they will bring in 1 more defenseman and a backup goalie and call it a day, maybe sign Jagr if he will take about the same.

Heretic

I know. I'm merely pointing it out. But I think he's eager to be traded to Philly primarily for his ties with Paul Holmgren.

Going to Socreges it up a bit but I wouldn't use the word "eager". More like frustrated with always being on the end of trade talks when shit hits the fan with the team. And who can blame him, really.

Quick

Banned
Going to Socreges it up a bit but I wouldn't use the word "eager". More like frustrated with always being on the end of trade talks when shit hits the fan with the team. And who can blame him, really.

I backtracked and changed that to "he'd be eager". But you're right, "frustrated" is the right word for it. A guy who contributed positively for his team and still getting the shaft by being trade bait is probably really disheartening.

I should add: I read about Ryan's story a few months ago, and I have a lot more respect for the guy since. Not that I didn't like him, but I never really thought of him as having this troubled past considering that wasn't the story media played with (which is a good thing).

Top Bottom