• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cactus, Luongo has been the go to guy for every setback that has befallen the Canucks since he joined the team. Team stopped scoring in the SCF? Kings out grind you? Gillis brings in duds at the deadline? For a large segment of the fanbase (encouraged by a provincial press corps with nothing else to write about) Luongo is the problem behind all others.

Cactus, Luongo has been the go to guy for every setback that has befallen the Canucks since he joined the team. Team stopped scoring in the SCF? Kings out grind you? Gillis brings in duds at the deadline? For a large segment of the fanbase (encouraged by a provincial press corps with nothing else to write about) Luongo is the problem behind all others.

Didnt they play better against the Kings once they changed goalies? Lu isnt the only problem but he does seem to deserve some of the blame.

ShaneB

Hearing the radio talk this morning about the draft again, and that Calgary fiasco still cracks me up. Feaster should be thrown out the door.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hearing the radio talk this morning about the draft again, and that Calgary fiasco still cracks me up. Feaster should be thrown out the door.

Lol apprently they were going to pick Ceci at 14 until they got a call from Buffalo. Legendary draft indeed.

Cactus

Banned
I don't think it's "pressure", more like media scrutiny and getting the blame for everything.

Well, it's a different situation in T.O. We have a young team who has underperformed. If Luongo comes here and even gives us league average goaltending, he'll be a hero. It would be much different than the VAN situation, where they have a stacked team and high expectations, and scrutinize every single poor performance.

That organization really needs to admit that they need a rebuild. They re-tool every summer, stick with a relatively old team, and then miss the playoffs again.

It's probably in their best interest to wipe the slate clean and try to strengthen their organizational depth, but my guess is that it's intervention from ownership that's dictating their path.

Well, it's a different situation in T.O. We have a young team who has underperformed. If Luongo comes here and even gives us league average goaltending, he'll be a hero.

I would think the expectation in Toronto is the playoffs, not just "league average goaltending".

If Leafs were to miss the playoffs with Luongo, he'll enter the witness protection program.

That organization really needs to admit that they need a rebuild. They re-tool every summer, stick with a relatively old team, and then miss the playoffs again.

It's probably in their best interest to wipe the slate clean and try to strengthen their organizational depth, but my guess is that it's intervention from ownership that's dictating their path.

Calgary is a poor mans and unsuccessful Detroit it seems, just retool and go into next season with no rebuild. Only problem is that we know how to do it right and make the playoffs, Calgary does not.

ShaneB

Dude, 10 year plan, 10 years man.

They way they're going, in 10 years they'll be debating if they should trade "the best player from the 2012 draft" for future picks in hopes of a rebuild.

Lol apprently they were going to pick Ceci at 14 until they got a call from Buffalo. Legendary draft indeed.

This is when I'm glad I'm not a fan of one real team really, it makes stupid decisions like this all the easier to witness and just enjoy the craziness of some GMs.

Pretty much yeah, they've been stuck at mediocrity for a while now. Get on a hot streak here and there in the season and all of a sudden they think they've got a shot, and it always falls apart, putting them in the same place every year with no assets.

Cactus

Banned
I would think the expectation in Toronto is the playoffs, not just "league average goaltending".

If Leafs were to miss the playoffs with Luongo, he'll enter the witness protection program.

Maybe, but as long as he puts up decent numbers, I doubt there will be any serious animosity directed at him. League average goaltending probably would have guaranteed a playoff spot for the Leafs last season. Going from a combined .901 to .915 or whatever would have made a huge difference over 82 games, and would have considerably improved the PK as well.

If he comes here and completely flops, then I agree he'd be a media target, but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be an upgrade right now.

Cake Boss

Banned
LOL Pierre over hyping the shit out of Pitssburgh deals again on the radio, yeah replacing Jordan Stall with a weaker kid that is basically a 30 point forward and a dman prosoect that is 3 years away is a big improvment while losing your NHL shutdown dman at the same time for nothing.

OH DEY GUNNA GET PARIZE. MOAR GOALS WAS ZE PROBLUM.

dem

I thought Galchenyuk was supposed to be a big center?

He looks the same size as Yakupov in every picture.

Maybe half an inch bigger.

Solo

I thought Galchenyuk was supposed to be a big center?

He looks the same size as Yakupov in every picture.

Maybe half an inch bigger.

He grows and shrinks based on who is reporting :lol

Ive seen him as short as 6'0" and as tall as 6'3". He looks small in that pic, but here he is making Kerdiles look tiny:

AwBk5htCMAEupNf.jpg:large

He's still growing too. My guess is that he ends up around 6'1".

Solo

It's funny how an inch can make a difference, eh?

EDIT: Habs official site lists him at 6'0" 198lbs. I'd imagine he'll be in the 6'1" 225lbs range when he's an NHL player.

Cake Boss

Banned
Kilrea compared Ceci to Drew Doughty :lol No pressure kid.

A great draft pick for us all the same.

Yeah I wouldnt be surprised if he made the team out of camp, he already has the size and is pretty filled out, Has the skating and shot the could help us on the 2nd powerplay plus it helps that the RD spots are pretty much open after Karlsson.

Karlsson
Gonchar? ( The team is trying to trade him)
?????

I could see him having a similiar development process to Karlsson, make the team after the draft with sheltered minutes and learn how to play the game in the best league.

Cake Boss

Banned
That can't possibly be true..

Apprently thats what the managment told the Colombus writer.

I dont know whats worse, Snow offering that package to move 2 spots or Howsen saying no to it lol.

At the end the Isles probably got the better player. Murray is just a safer prospect without any flash to his game, just average all around. Perfect fit for Colombus.

Yeah I wouldnt be surprised if he made the team out of camp, he already has the size and is pretty filled out, Has the skating and shot the could help us on the 2nd powerplay plus it helps that the RD spots are pretty much open after Karlsson.

I bet he'll play for the 67s next season and they'll ease him in after that. We rarely rush guys into the NHL right after their draft year. They did this with Cowen and it paid off.

And no one is taking Gonchar's contract :lol Not to mention we need it to hit the floor and icing a blueline of mostly rookies means we'll be in the mix for MacKinnon next year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Seriously, the Howson stuff sounds very Matt Millen-esque. I'm all too familiar with horrible GMs.

ShaneB

Hockeycentral talking about the draft, Sam Consentino mentioned as well how the Habs arguably won the draft with all of their picks. Hard to disagree with him.

Merguson

Banned
Hockeycentral talking about the draft, Sam Consentino mentioned as well how the Habs arguably won the draft with all of their picks. Hard to disagree with him.

Not that hard to disagree actually. We won't know how the draft works out for the teams in three or more years.

dem

Every year some team ends up with a bunch of "name" prospects at the draft..

If thats how the draft was won everyone would just use the central scouting list. Definitely way too early to talk about who won.

Solo

Not that hard to disagree actually. We won't know how the draft works out for the teams in three or more years.

Every year some team ends up with a bunch of "name" prospects at the draft..

If thats how the draft was won everyone would just use the central scouting list. Definitely way too early to talk about who won.

Are you guys being intentionally dense? Of course it will take 5 years before you can say who drafted best. That is obvious and not really what the guy is getting at. He's saying that based on the way things currently are, and based on potential, Habs "won" the draft. To which, I would agree.

I guess reports are coming in that Tootoo turned down an offer from Nashville and will hit the free agent market, dang Sef, what is going on with Nashville?

Top Bottom