• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cake Boss

Banned
Based on potential Buffalo won the draft easily. Grigo upside is said to be bigger than Yakupov for some scouts plus their other pick Grigo isnt bad as well.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Based on potential the Leafs got the best offensive d-man in the draft. I proclaim them winners of the draft on that alone.

Solo

Based on potential Buffalo won the draft easily. Grigo upside is said to be bigger than Yakupov for some scouts plus their other pick Grigo isnt bad as well.

I would definitely slot Buffalo a close second to the Habs. I think the Habs' 2nd round pushes them over Buffalo.

dem

Are you guys being intentionally dense? Of course it will take 5 years before you can say who drafted best. That is obvious and not really what the guy is getting at. He's saying that based on the way things currently are, and based on potential, Habs "won" the draft. To which, I would agree.

Blah blah blah

I remember when the habs won the draft because they got Kostitsyn.
"Best talent in the draft! Only dropped because of health concerns!"

You know who won the the 2012 draft as of today? The Edmonton Oilers.

Solo

Speaking of which, 5 years down the line I think we can say Montreal won the 2007 draft.

Pacioretty, Subban, McDonaugh

dem

Tootoo should stay the fuck in Nashville...

That dude can't handle playing in Canada... if thats what hes thinking of doing.

Solo

On the subject of the Oilers, how many more years leeway do they get on being awful? Surely not making the playoffs AGAIN this year would be a complete failure?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
On the subject of the Oilers, how many more years leeway do they get on being awful? Surely not making the playoffs AGAIN this year would be a complete failure?

Is it after this upcoming season when things start to get interesting for them?

They are going to have a lot of RFAs coming up that they may have to make some big decisions on.

Acid08

Banned
They'll probably be better this year but they're still a few years from actually challenging for the Cup. If they even get to that point; RNH, Hall, and Nail cant do it on their own.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
They'll probably be better this year but they're still a few years from actually challenging for the Cup. If they even get to that point; RNH, Hall, and Nail cant do it on their own.

Eberle and Gagner are still getting better too. In 2,3 years Oilers be scary, if they can hold on to them and don't get offer sheeted etc.

lupinko

Doesn't Griffin Reinhart have more upside than Murray tho? So Snow should thank Howson for being as dumb as he is.

Calgary won the draft cause you know Fletcher said he's going to have the best guy in the draft ten years down the road...

Fiester, Cliff still works with the Leafs iirc, draft schmaf. ='(

Still no real defensive core that I see and a drunk old Khabibulin in goal ?

At least they realized you don't win with Tom Renney ....

Doesn't Griffin Reinhart have more upside than Murray tho? So Snow should thank Howson for being as dumb as he is.

Murray is seen as NHL ready so I imagine both teams wanted a guy they could use ASAP since they have crap on D right now.

Acid08

Banned
Eberle and Gagner are still getting better too. In 2,3 years Oilers be scary, if they can hold on to them and don't get offer sheeted etc.
Then they're relying on five players, what about their goaltending, defense, and bottom six? Oilers still have lots of work to do to be a top team. That top six will be absolutely crazy though.

Revenant

So Steve ott is on the block... paging stan bowman....

I hate Steve ott but his game has gotten better with all the benefits of him still being an enormous cock to the opposing team

Cactus

Banned
Are you guys being intentionally dense? Of course it will take 5 years before you can say who drafted best. That is obvious and not really what the guy is getting at. He's saying that based on the way things currently are, and based on potential, Habs "won" the draft. To which, I would agree.

I'm not saying the Habs didn't have a great draft, but I think you should take Cosentino's opinion with a grain of salt. He thinks the Flames did better than Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver at the draft, which is pretty ridiculous, IMO, considering they used their 1st round pick to draft a project player projected to go in the second or third round.

I'm not saying the Habs didn't have a great draft, but I think you should take Costentino's opinion with a grain of salt. He thinks the Flames did better than Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver at the draft, which is pretty ridiculous, IMO, considering they used their 1st round pick to draft a project player projected to go in the second or third round.

Projections are just educated guesses though. 30 teams went into the draft on Friday and each team's list probably looked different.

1001 things have to go right for a player to hit their potential and it depends on them as well as the team that drafted them and how they develop the player.

It depends on drafting strategy too, some teams take the safer picks, some teams pick the high risk/high reward players.

Cake Boss

Banned
karlssonbrennan.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So Steve ott is on the block... paging stan bowman....

I hate Steve ott but his game has gotten better with all the benefits of him still being an enormous cock to the opposing team

Ott is the type of guy Detroit needs.

Cactus

Banned
Projections are just educated guesses though. 30 teams went into the draft on Friday and each team's list probably looked different.

1001 things have to go right for a player to hit their potential and it depends on them as well as the team that drafted them and how they develop the player.

It depends on drafting strategy too, some teams take the safer picks, some teams pick the high risk/high reward players.

I agree with you, but my point is that Cosentino's opinion shouldn't necessarily be used to legitimize any specific point of view, especially when he believes that the Flames had a better draft than the Oilers, for example, who had the first overall pick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pierre Gauthier should be able to find work again if that proposed deal between Howson and Snow is legit. What a bunch of clowns.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm not saying the Habs didn't have a great draft, but I think you should take Cosentino's opinion with a grain of salt. He thinks the Flames did better than Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver at the draft, which is pretty ridiculous, IMO, considering they used their 1st round pick to draft a project player projected to go in the second or third round.

... Not that hard to do better at the draft than the Canucks when we pick at 26....

Cake Boss

Banned
Soon to be 21 year old D-man Trevor Van Riemsdyk is an undrafted invitee to #Sens Dev camp. Yes, he is brother of James . #Sens"

LOL this managment is just trolling this draft. Picking Brian Boyle's brother and now this.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
David Desharnais was undrafted and became our #1 center with 60 points. But he also played with Cole and Patches soooo yea....

Top Bottom