• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cake Boss

Banned
Oh shiznits Tim Murray just said on radio that OTT is one of the 3-5 teams that are left on the justin schultz sweeptakes, apprently they are selling him on the oppertunity on playing with Karlsson and being one of the few competative Canadian teams with room for him to play.

Its probably down to

Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton
Ottawa
Vancouver

Oh shiznits Tim Murray just said on radio that OTT is one of the 3-5 teams that are left on the justin schultz sweeptakes, apprently they are selling him on the oppertunity on playing with Karlsson and being one of the few competative Canadian teams with room for him to play.

Well we've been pretty good at NCAA free agent signings every year ... who knows.

It'd be nice to stick it to Anaheim after 2007 as well :p

Heretic

Well we've been pretty good at NCAA free agent signings every year ... who knows.

It'd be nice to stick it to Anaheim after 2007 as well :p

You son of a... wait...

StanleyCupChamps_800.jpg

Keep him =)

Its probably down to

Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton
Ottawa
Vancouver

Rangers

Solo

They'll be joining Montreal in the draft lottery again next year.

With the crop of talent in the 2013 draft and 4 picks out of the first 60 players for the Habs, wouldn't be the worst thing. Crazy how in 2 years the Habs could potentially go from having the weakest prospect pool in the NHL to the strongest.

Having said that, I don't expect the Habs to be a lottery team in 2012-2013. I expect a playoff berth and a draft pick in the 16-20 range, plus our 3 second round picks.

until we know what teams do in the offseason, it's impossible to predict the playoff teams for next year(except for the obvious stacked teams).

Solo

Habs need to find a top 6 winger and another solid D-man this summer. If they can do that (and bury Gomez/find a way to trade Bourque), I will be pleased. Nothing too crazy. Habs are in a position now where we can't give up the farm to land players. Fans are going to have to be patient for the next few seasons while the talent within the organization develops and becomes NHL ready. I think the Habs will be a playoff team this year, but they won't be real contenders for a good 3 or 4 years.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah I just dont see the Habs being in the bottom 5, they just hit injuries at the wrong times and underachieved. Their situation is exactly like Ottawa's in the past 2 seasons. Wouldnt surprise me if they made the playoffs.

Yeah I just dont see the Habs being in the bottom 5, they just hit injuries at the wrong times and underachieved. Their situation is exactly like Ottawa's in the past 2 seasons. Wouldnt surprise me if they made the playoffs.

NYR, Bruins, Pens and Flyers are locks for the playoffs (barring an act of God).

That leaves 4 spots up for grabs. Bunch of teams in the mix there.

Cake Boss

Banned
NYR, Bruins, Pens and Flyers are locks for the playoffs (barring an act of God).

That leaves 4 spots up for grabs. Bunch of teams in the mix there.

I wouldnt say anyone is a lock, especially in the East I could easily see situations where all those teams could miss the playoffs.

Bruins- All the pressure is on Rask now, he could fold and crack down on pressure.
NYR- I could see them missing it because of the fatigue factor and the style of play they play could have a toll on their bodies plus 3 game 7 series.
Pittsburgh- crosby health, Malkin could be exhausted from carrying the team the past 2 seasons, Fleury's confidence could be shot after thise playoffs, their defense still is shit unless they sign Suter etc
Philly- Bryz and Leighton enough said.

I am not saying all those teams will miss it but I could see how some of them could miss it.

Fei

Barring massive injuries again, I'll be unbelievably pissed if the Sabres don't make the 'yoffs this year.

Edit: And I agree with Cake Boss. The top teams in the East from last year all have question marks coming into this year.

Curufinwe

I wouldnt say anyone is a lock, especially in the East I could easily see situations where all those teams could miss the playoffs.

Bruins- All the pressure is on Rask now, he could fold and crack down on pressure.
NYR- I could see them missing it because of the fatigue factor and the style of play they play could have a toll on their bodies plus 3 game 7 series.
Pittsburgh- crosby health, Malkin could be exhausted from carrying the team the past 2 seasons, Fleury's confidence could be shot after thise playoffs, their defense still is shit unless they sign Suter etc
Philly- Bryz and Leighton enough said.

I am not saying all those teams will miss it but I could see how some of them could miss it.

I doubt they'll resign Leighton and make him the backup.

Reason we won't have a lockout:

Fehr said:
"There's nothing magic about Sept. 15. The law is that if you don't have a new agreement, and as long as both sides are willing to keep negotiating, you can continue to play under the terms of the old one until you reach an agreement," he said. "All I know is that in baseball, there were any number of occasions in which we played while the parties were continuing to negotiate."

It's Donald Fehr. If his mouth is moving, he's lying.

Fehr's a dick, but he isn't a moron. The cost of a lockout to the NHL would be infinitely greater than to any other league, since they had one so recently and have a much more precarious foothold. I don't think he has any intention of locking out, and there doesn't seem to have been any preparations for one either like you would normally see. I just don't think it's part of the negotiating strategy this time around.

Fehr's a dick, but he isn't a moron. The cost of a lockout to the NHL would be infinitely greater than to any other league, since they had one so recently and have a much more precarious foothold. I don't think he has any intention of locking out, and there doesn't seem to have been any preparations for one either like you would normally see. I just don't think it's part of the negotiating strategy this time around.

Last time there was a lockout and the NHLPA felt it caved in to the owners, so now with Fehr playing hardball, they're going to come to a quick agreement ?

This is just Fehr trying to make himself look like he's the good guy in all this, since the public knows him as "Mr. MLB Lockout".

He actually seems to be saying that he doesn't expect to reach an agreement by September 15th but hey maybe the NHL can let us keep playing while we argue.

Marvie_3

Banned
Fehr will do what he has to to make sure the NHLPA get the best deal they can. That's why he was named head of the NHLPA. If that means part of the season is gone then so be it.

Fixed because I'm salty.
Fixed for accuracy

Solo

Woohoo, no qualifying offer for Blunden. No more 4th line scrub playing with Pleky.

Booo, qualifying offers for Palushaj and Enqvist. Why? These guys are terrible, have been terrible, and will never not be terrible.

lupinko

Last time there was a lockout and the NHLPA felt it caved in to the owners, so now with Fehr playing hardball, they're going to come to a quick agreement ?

This is just Fehr trying to make himself look like he's the good guy in all this, since the public knows him as "Mr. MLB Lockout".

He actually seems to be saying that he doesn't expect to reach an agreement by September 15th but hey maybe the NHL can let us keep playing while we argue.

Remember spos' fans, he is the reason why your amazing season with Pedro, Larry Walker, and company was cut short and then that team destroyed (ok that was also garbage ownership but w/e).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Woohoo, no qualifying offer for Blunden. No more 4th line scrub playing with Pleky.

Booo, qualifying offers for Palushaj and Enqvist. Why? These guys are terrible, have been terrible, and will never not be terrible.
I saw some stats showing for the time of ice he got and the opposition he played against Palushaj played alright. Enqvist can gtfo though, I haven't seen one good thing from him.

Solo

I saw some stats showing for the time of ice he got and the opposition he played against Palushaj played alright. Enqvist can gtfo though, I haven't seen one good thing from him.

They didn't qualify Noke either. Which they shouldn't have, seeing as they did qualify White, our true 4th line centre.

Top Bottom