• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cactus

Banned
Leafs D lookin soft

Yeah, but a soft D won't be a problem as long as team defence is improved. It's not like Schenn's toughness really helped the team win games. Plus, Holzer should be in the mix and I'm sure Komisarek will get a lot of playing time if he isn't traded.

Franson is probably the only question mark on D right now, and I still think he'll be traded.

Yeah but your getting Schultz.

I hope so, but I don't think he's tough. He's supposedly another offense-first type of player. My money is on Edmonton, though.

ibfPPIv7H7DcOZ.gif

You may as well listen to Manics.

COLLUSION

I grabbing any piece of good news I can find dang it!!

Apparently Holland has offered Schultz a spot in the lineup if he signs with Detroit. I like this new Holland, seems to be getting rather aggressive. Also I'm starting to love our 2nd pick this year when we got Frk, kid has some nice hands and skill and a very hard shot, man our forward crop of young guys coming up is looking extremely good right now. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dF_PgivZIk&feature=player_embedded

Also a guy on HFboards who I believed called the Bertuzzi to Detroit after Hudler bolted to the KHL says his "sources" pretty much confirmed that Suter to Detroit is a done deal. I know HFboards, but I'm taking any little bit of positive news I can get, July 1st needs to get here quick!

Jesus christ you're delusional. Why not ask eklund on twitter if it's a done deal yet?

Cake Boss

Banned
I'd say Vancouver.

I dont understand the hype for this kid, dont we have a similiar prospect in Weircioch? Offensive smooth skating dman but Weir was drafted in the same year but with 2 years of pro experience and a couple of games in the NHL. I look at their stats in college and they are not far off. Weir had the better first year at college stats wise but in the 2nd year Schultz was better. Add in the fact that Weir is also 6'4 and at 192 is more physically ready for NHL contact.

Cactus

Banned
Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Btw, VAN asking for Bjugstad, first rounder and a good roster player. Makes no sense for FLA.

If this is true, LOL.

EDIT: His next tweet actually makes a lot of sense assuming Gillis is actually asking for that much: Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpinFLA should trade for Tea Party Tim, Leafs should then deal for Theodore, and VAN would have a large, large problem then, wouldn't they

I dont understand the hype for this kid, dont we have a similiar prospect in Weircioch? Offensive smooth skating dman but Weir was drafted in the same year but with 2 years of pro experience and a couple of games in the NHL. I look at their stats in college and they are not far off. Weir had the better first year at college stats wise but in the 2nd year Schultz was better. Add in the fact that Weir is also 6'4 and at 192 is more physically ready for NHL contact.

Scouts have been saying that Schultz's raw tools make him a "blue-chip" prospect. It seems like the hype is getting a bit excessive, though, since I still doubt that he'll have an easy transition from college hockey to playing 20+ minutes a night in the NHL.

The hype over Schultz is kind of extreme but he's put up better numbers in college and he stayed an extra year over PW. I was shocked Wier left college as soon as he did. Everyone says Schultz is NHL ready, I really doubt any NHL team will give him top minutes though, college hockey doesn't prepare you for an 82 game NHL season. He'll play good limited time and he'll most likely hit a wall at some point in the year.

I doubt Wiercioch even makes the Sens at this point, he's been a disappointment in the AHL, although he took that puck to the throat which kind of sidetracked his season. Borowiecki is way more NHL ready at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him with the team at this point next season.

Cactus

Banned
birky ‏@b1rky
The Canucks are asking for Jake Gardiner, plus, plus for Luongo. Pass.

OMFG LOL

(his info was taken from Bob McKenzie, who was on the team 1040 in Vancouver this morning)

ShaneB

Apparently Adam Oates is apparently going to be the next Capitals head coach. He was one of my favourite players when I was younger, such a great playmaker. Hope he has success as a head coach.

edit: yeah, now confirmed.

Solo

My dream is that it is Gomez instead of Gally playing in Hamilton this year.

Habs have 7 centres in the system:
- Plekanec
- Desharnais
- Eller
- White
- Gomez
- Leblanc
- Glachenyuk

Dream scenario for me next season:
- Plekanec centres 1st line w/Gionta and Cole
- Eller centres 2nd line w/Pacioretty and Desharnais
- Gally centres 3rd line w/Leblanc and Moen
- White centres 4th line w/Staubitz and Borque
- Gomez to Hamilton

Basically, Leblanc and Desharnais move to wing (which both are 100% guaranteed to sooner or later; hell, Leblanc isn't really even a centre anymore anyways), Gomez gets buried in the minors, and Gally gets Tyler Seguin rookie season-esque sheltered minutes on the third line.

Its nice to dream.

- Plekanec
- Desharnais
- Eller
- White
- Gomez
- Leblanc
- Glachenyuk

- Gomez to Hamilton

Basically, Leblanc and Desharnais move to wing (which both are 100% guaranteed to sooner or later; hell, Leblanc isn't really even a centre anymore anyways), Gomez gets buried in the minors, and Gally gets Tyler Seguin rookie season-esque sheltered minutes on the third line.

Its nice to dream.

Solid 4 lines there. Can Eller handle top 6 minutes?

lupinko

birky ‏@b1rky
The Canucks are asking for Jake Gardiner, plus, plus for Luongo. Pass.

OMFG LOL

(his info was taken from Bob McKenzie, who was on the team 1040 in Vancouver this morning)

lol, yeah no, if Gardiner goes, then no Justin Schultz, so that's that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
- Plekanec
- Desharnais
- Eller
- White
- Gomez
- Leblanc
- Glachenyuk

- Gomez to Hamilton

Its nice to dream.

That looks good to me. I really hope Patches and Cole have strong season again.

Cake Boss

Banned
I think the Canucks have a shot at Schultz. They didn't offer Rome, Parent, or Gragnani contracts so they only have 6 defencemen signed (don't know if Salo will return). Schultz would instantly slot in at the 7th spot with a good chance at cracking the top 6.

Also: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/06/time-to-free-up-nhl-free-agency-30-thoughts.html

Wonder if anyone will offer-sheet Weber.

LOL Schultz is looking for more than a 7th spot and some teams are offering him a top 4 position.

I think the Canucks have a shot at Schultz. They didn't offer Rome, Parent, or Gragnani contracts so they only have 6 defencemen signed (don't know if Salo will return). Schultz would instantly slot in at the 7th spot with a good chance at cracking the top 6.

Also: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/06/time-to-free-up-nhl-free-agency-30-thoughts.html

Wonder if anyone will offer-sheet Weber.
I think the Canucks are after Garrison. Hometown and a great slapshot.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Soft D isn't a problem... Would you complain if you had 6 nick lidstroms on your D? I wouldn't.

Neutralizing a play is more valuable than neutralizing a player from a play

CrankyJay

Banned
Getting tired of the conversation on my local radio station since Friday about worrying about Russian players leaving the NHL for the KHL. Worry about it when it happens.

Mostly referring to the Sabres and Grigorenko.

ElNino

Schultz isnt the kind of name you see on a Leafs jersey. I think he ends up a Canuck or a Pred.
I'd say the combination of Burke drafting him, playing with his former teammate Gardiner and the fact that the Leafs just traded away one of their young NHL defensmen would suggest a good enough reason for Shultz to strongly consider Toronto.

Personally, I know nothing about him except for what I've read in the last few days. If he ends up here (Toronto), I hope he plays as well as Gardiner has (so far).

Getting tired of the conversation on my local radio station since Friday about worrying about Russian players leaving the NHL for the KHL. Worry about it when it happens.

I still find it stunning anyone wants to play in the KHL, unless they're really homesick, greedy or can't get a contract anywhere else.

Quick

Banned
I still find it stunning anyone wants to play in the KHL, unless they're really homesick, greedy or can't get a contract anywhere else.

Well, that's enough incentive for some. The NHL is the best hockey league in the world, but if you can earn more and be at home, why not just go back?

There also seems to be a handfu of players who've done better there than here.

Fei

Eh, Schopp trolling again?

Apparently Grigorenko said he wants to wear #89 in honor of Mogilny. It would be pretty awesome seeing a Sabres 89 flying around the ice again.

Top Bottom