• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Perfect press conference, Bergy said all the right things, now we can really get the ball rolling.

Socreges

Banned
That's hardly "confirmation". Do you really think Timmins is going around and telling the press who he would like to draft? Not to mention that Bergevin will now be able to give his opinions to Timmins.
Wait. Someone who's not actually taking random reports as automatic truth?

funny-gif-excited-kid-baby-happy.gif

Habs not buying out Gomez's contract apparently.

Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie
No organization that has money (MTL, TOR, NYR etc) would or could justify a buyout that would create dead cap space to save a few million $.

Nothing is confirmed either way. That's just MacKenzie's opinion.
Still, it wouldn't make sense for them to buy his contract out if they could just bury him. Having that much dead space on their cap isn't good for them, especially when they'll need to sign on another top six forward to replace him.

Acid08

Banned
Player meetings are going on for longer than ever before in org history, sounds serious.

There will be some kind of coaching announcement in a few weeks too. Not really sure what to expect.

What's the advantage of a buyout over putting someone in the minors? Kinder to the player?

Well aren't they an unrestricted free agent then and can sign with another team, thus making the buyout money as well as whatever new contract they might acquire. Also yes, it might be nicer since it gives them freedom and they aren't stuck playing in the minors. Of course they may not even get a contract with another team and are forced to go to another league or something to that nature.

Socreges

Banned
Well aren't they an unrestricted free agent then and can sign with another team, thus making the buyout money as well as whatever new contract they might acquire. Also yes, it might be nicer since it gives them freedom and they aren't stuck playing in the minors. Of course they may not even get a contract with another team and are forced to go to another league or something to that nature.
Right. But is that it? The only benefit I can see for the organization is that by treating their players well they put themselves in a better position for future signings.

What's the advantage of a buyout over putting someone in the minors? Kinder to the player?

It saves the owner money. Rich teams may be able to afford/justify paying a player millions to play in the minors, others may not. It is a waste of a few million dollars though, some owners may not want to piss away millions for nothing.

Even if money is not an issue, you may not want a bitter player who's been banished to the minors interacting with your prospects who are also down there.

Finally the next CBA may not allow burying contracts in the minors. Might as well buy them out now while you can.

Socreges

Banned
It saves the owner money. Rich teams may be able to afford/justify paying a player millions to play in the minors, others may not. It is a waste of a few million dollars though, some owners may not want to piss away millions for nothing.

Even if money is not an issue, you may not want a bitter player who's been banished to the minors interacting with your prospects who are also down there.

Finally the next CBA may not allow burying contracts in the minors. Might as well buy them out now while you can.
Thank you.

How come the buyout saves more money than placing a player in the minors? With a buyout, do they not need to pay the remaining salary?

Stat!

Thank you.

How come the buyout saves more money than placing a player in the minors? With a buyout, do they not need to pay the remaining salary?

Correct. You only have to pay 2/3 of the value over twice as many years as the rest of the contract.

Putting him in the minors means paying his money for the next two years for the full amount.

How come? It's a buyout.

My only thing is though, aren't the Canadians a richer team though? It would make sense for a team like Florida or something, but for Montreal they have the money to pay and wait it out. But yeah the bitterness is also a factor here as well and I didn't think about the new CBA.

Socreges

Banned
With a base salary of $925,000 it's a fantastic signing.
It's a good signing for sure. If he happens to do well, then he gets $3.75M which he'll have likely earned. Just naturally hoping he doesn't pan out since it's the Flames. I guess since it's just one year, though, and it's not like the Flames will make the playoffs either way... doesn't really matter.

I wonder if the Flames outbid the Leafs etc. or if they just promised him more ice time. I'm guessing he wanted as much exposure as possible since he'll be a UFA (I think?) in 2013.

Solo

I would imagine Bergevin's first 5 tasks, in order, will be:

1. Fire Randy Cunneyworth
2. Hire ??
3. Draft
4. Sign Carey Price
5. Sign PK Subban

Red_Man

I would imagine Bergevin's first 5 tasks, in order, will be:

1. Fire Randy Cunneyworth
2. Hire ??
3. Draft
4. Sign Carey Price
5. Sign PK Subban

He already said Randy will remain as an assistant coach until he hires a new coach who will decide his fate, and I hope he signs Price and Subban before the draft.

ZeroGravity

Erik Erlendsson ‏ @erlendssontrib
As if #tblightning owner Jeff Vinik hasn't done enough Forum upgrades, a new scoreboard will be installed prior to next season #ItWillBeBig

And when I say the new #tblightning scoreboard will be big, think Dallas Cowboys equivalent in ratio to a hockey arena #YesThatBig
Best owner in hockey.

Quick

Banned
Best owner in hockey.

Pretty jealous. All we have are scumbag telecommunications companies co-owning the Leafs (and the Raptors, TFC, and Marlies).

The ACC had a giant screen installed outside a year ago. It's really cool, and they've actually held movie nights there last summer. During the season, bleachers were placed outside for people to watch the game.

Stat!

My only thing is though, aren't the Canadians a richer team though? It would make sense for a team like Florida or something, but for Montreal they have the money to pay and wait it out. But yeah the bitterness is also a factor here as well and I didn't think about the new CBA.

Montreal won't buy out Gomez. I would be surprised if they did. They have the money. They won't buy him out especially with a new CBA and a hint of an amnesty clause or how contracts will work.

He can't possibly be turning a profit or breaking even down there can he ?

Lightning have a $60M payroll, last year the lightning generators, no playoffs this year and now a huge screen ?

It's an expensive toy. I would say more than half aren't making money (or at least making a significant amount. Most teams don't make a real amount of money. And just over a 1/3 lose money.

Here is a 2008 from Forbes on Operating Income vs Revenue. Yes, some teams have changed but for example, Phoenix was losing 25-30 million a year from 09-11. Buffalo lost 5.6 million.

It's an expensive toy. I would say more than half aren't making money (or at least making a significant amount. Most teams don't make a real amount of money. And just over a 1/3 lose money.

Here is a 2008 from Forbes on Operating Income vs Revenue. Yes, some teams have changed but for example, Phoenix was losing 25-30 million a year from 09-11. Buffalo lost 5.6 million.
Here's the Forbes charts from 2011: http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/#p_1_s_d6_

According to this, only 6 teams are making significant revenue ($10 million+)

Habs can easily eat Gomez's contract. Buying him out and having deadspace on their cap hurts them more than the dollar amount.

wtf red wings

i expected them to make way more, aren't red wings most popular team in USA?
Residents of Detroit aren't remotely close to being as wealthy as residents of New York.

Also, looks like Burrows is going to be playing on a line with Eberle and Nugent Hopkins.

Wow didnt think Ottawa was that bad.

Thats what you get for building an arena in the middle of nowhere.

Not like they had a choice, you see the clusterfuck over Landsdowne and how long that's going on.

We're about middle of the pack and +income and value going up so that's pretty darn good if u look at the rest of the list. The owner makes money off the arena and the events even if the team loses money.

Red_Man

Rick Dudley was on the radio this morning saying he believes that Timmins is one of the elite talent evaluators in the league, and that Bergevin is in the top 1% in the league in the same regard. Great news to have effective scouts at the top, one of the Habs biggest problems these last few years has been their inability to properly develop prospects. Seems like only a matter time until Dudley joins Marc in Montreal as well.

Solo

That might still be a problem. Scouting =/= development. We've always done fine at finding players under Timmins. Now we've gotten even better with Bergie and Dudley, but again, that's all on the talent finding end, not the talent nurturing end.

Habs have the worst prospect pool yet in the NHL yet they have more draftees through our system who became NHLers since 2000 than any other team. That alone tells you we're great at judging talent, but our management of it is abysmal. We find the players and then either trade them foolishly or run them out of town, and they find success elsewhere.

Red_Man

Bergy said he won't rush any prospects including the 3rd pick so that's good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That might still be a problem. Scouting =/= development. We've always done fine at finding players under Timmins. Now we've gotten even better with Bergie and Dudley, but again, that's all on the talent finding end, not the talent nurturing end.

Habs have the worst prospect pool yet in the NHL yet they have more draftees through our system who became NHLers since 2000 than any other team. That alone tells you we're great at judging talent, but our management of it is abysmal. We find the players and then either trade them foolishly or run them out of town, and they find success elsewhere.
Great at trades too. I mean, getting Gomez was a STEAL!

Btw, you guys want Comasarek back? :(

Cactus

Banned

Dudley was at the Marlies game tonight with Burke and Poulin so I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he'll be leaving any time soon. Besides that one speculative tweet by Dreger, there hasn't really been any talk (that I'm aware of) concerning the possibility of him joining the Habs.

wtf red wings

i expected them to make way more, aren't red wings most popular team in USA?

Considering if you look at the surrounding area of Detroit, that is pretty dang good. Most people drive an hour or more away to go to the games anyways like myself.

Top Bottom