• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think this one's the best so far:

mnAiJ.jpg

Cactus

Banned
I don't expect it to happen, but him even saying he would like a chance in Montreal is awesome.

Do you know how the original question was phrased? Maybe he was specifically asked if he would like coaching in Montreal if he ever had the opportunity. He isn't going to say "No" in a situation like that.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Sucks for the Preds, but they ran into a hot goalie. I don't think they need to rebuild, just keep their current personnel.
they don't have much of a choice. 15+ free agents to re-sign, whatever plays out with suter/weber and lots of questions around a new cba I'm sure.. should be... interesting

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Do you know how the original question was phrased? Maybe he was specifically asked if he would like coaching in Montreal if he ever had the opportunity. He isn't going to say "No" in a situation like that.
I didn't see the context, just that quote from some Montreal report, you're correct it could bet that type of answer, but he still has very strong ties with McGill and I don't think it's too far out of reach to believe he's genuine with what he said. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things seeing as he won't end up here anyways.

ZeroGravity

Apparently there's a report that Mattias Ohlund is either retiring or is close to it. Shame he has to go out like this, but it'd be really good for the Lightning not to have that contract on the books anymore.

Apparently there's a report that Mattias Ohlund is either retiring or is close to it. Shame he has to go out like this, but it'd be really good for the Lightning not to have that contract on the books anymore.

I seem to recall stories of him having to get his knee periodically drained of fluid when he played in Vancouver. It sucks, he was almost a lifer for us but just wasn''t healthy enough to stick it out. According to PHT it sounds like there's basically not much holding his knee together at all...

Kesler just completed successful shoulder surgery. Should be fully recovered in 6 months. Hope they don't rush him this time around.

Red_Man

Crawford is said the be the closest at getting the HC job so far....I'd much rather Roy, I don't really care for Crawford at this point, and there aren't many other options out there. Too bad they let Boucher go so early.

Also a cool picture from the tourney yesterday:

u2qpw.jpg

Red_Man

Bowman just came out today and said Q isn't going anywhere. It's basically down to Crawford and Roy at this point, with some Montreal insiders saying Crawford has the inside track on him. It will really suck if Crawford lands it.

Wish he could've retired a Canuck but Tampa's offer was too good (same thing with Mitchell).

Socreges

Banned
Wish he could've retired a Canuck but Tampa's offer was too good (same thing with Mitchell).
IIRC Mitchell was more a matter of the Canucks not wanting to take a gamble on him since no one was sure if he could recover. LA was in a worse way and had enough cap space to invest in a risk.

Red_Man

This is what happens when you only hire billingual coaches and you run all your good prospective coaches out of town.

IIRC Mitchell was more a matter of the Canucks not wanting to take a gamble on him since no one was sure if he could recover. LA was in a worse way and had enough cap space to invest in a risk.

Oh yeah forgot about the concussion (thanks Malkin). I think they could've kept him for around $2M if LA hadn't offered a lot more.

Red_Man

Just read in Elliot friedmans 30 thoughts that Bergevein was responsible for the hawks taking on Shaw. That makes me feel pretty good.

You guys have seen the "Power Rankings" that sites like TSN do on teams weekly during the season right ? They rank teams 1-30.

Check out these official power rankings done by the IIHF for the World Championships.

http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/homeiihf/power-ranking.html

1. RUSSIA
Can't we ever just blow out Germany the old-fashioned way?
2. FINLAND
Is it legal in Finland to score that many goals?
3.CANADA
If we’d lost to France, it would have been a circus
4.SWEDEN
Hey Loui, has anyone ever told you you're underrated?
5.CZECH REPUBLIC
We won, but Norway gives us Kafkaesque nightmares
6.LATVIA
Our beavers chewed up their gladiators
7.USA
No biggie – we landed on the moon AND invented Britney Spears
8.SWITZERLAND
If it wasn't for Immonen and Filppula, we'd have won 2-1
9.GERMANY
Sometimes skill trumps will
10.SLOVAKIA
Now those hamburger-eating cowboys must respect us!
11.NORWAY
We like showing the Czechs our big Viking swords
12.BELARUS
Clearly, it would be inappropriate to hope for a Ukrainian protest
13.DENMARK
Spotting Sweden four goals was perhaps unwise
14.KAZAKHSTAN
Even if we lost, it’s fun to say “Krasnoslobodtsev”
15.FRANCE
Rouen Dragons offer Sharp 10-year contract
16.ITALY
Sadly, our 5-0 loss to Latvia was unrelated to match-fixing

Red_Man

Those are some Patrick Kane levels of low standards you've developed. :lol
Showing he has an eye for I unpassed talent is light years ahead of Gauthier who passed up one of our best defensive prospects in years, I don't think you realize how low our standards as Habs fans has reached.

Just saw the tweet. Hell yes.

Wish I still had Leafs TV to watch Marlies games, though.

It was a local feed of the game with Marlies commentators......the audio of the actual game was almost non-existant, you could really only hear the play by play

Red_Man

Bob Gainey is apparently going to be an adviser for the the Stars :lol enjoy him advising you to send Jamie Benn to the East for a bag of pucks.

Solo

Well, he did GM those same Stars to a Cup in '99, so who knows.

EDIT: apparently Larry Robinson might be willing to leave the Devils to become Habs assistant coach. unf unf unf unf unf Big Bird back in Montreal? unf unf unf unf unf

Red_Man

Patches tied with Malkin and Karlsson for point leader at the worlds, Eller is a PPG for Denmark, and Pleks is Captain for Czech Republic along with I think 7 points, pretty decent turnout for Hab players. Too bad Subban hurt his shoulder.

Top Bottom