• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cactus

Banned
I think you could say the same thing about any AHL team.

I'm pretty sure the Marlies are one of the youngest teams in the AHL. I would have to double check that. The Monarchs are youngest, but the Marlies are very close.

Anyway, only two of the Marlies top-10 playoff scorers were born before 1988. The Barons, Sea Dogs and Admirals have five, while the Penguins have six.

Marvie_3

Banned
Drunk, Sulking Patrick Kane Photoshop Contest

xlarge.jpg

cp_1.jpg

spare_tire.jpg

:lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently some KHL team is planning on making a huge play for Grigorenko, just another reason to avoid him on D Day.

Red_Man

I was and still am a big fan of his talent and skill set, there just remains to be a question about his work ethic and this added issue of a KHL team making a big push for him, and this is the highest we've picked in decades, Habs can't waste it on a risky player. As for your question about Galchenyuk I would assume it's because he's not highly regarded as Grigorenko universally, some rankings have him at 1 and some have him at 7. Also he's Russian-American, he's been living in North America for a while now. The 4th Period also wrote today how Burke will be making a push for Edmonton's 1st overall pick, I wouldn't be too pleased if they managed to land Yakupov, but I doubt that if Edmonton trades the pick it would be to Toronto. The only player I could see them wanting is Gardiner and it seems like he is an untouchable at this point.

Cactus

Banned
I was and still am a big fan of his talent and skill set, there just remains to be a question about his work ethic and this added issue of a KHL team making a big push for him, and this is the highest we've picked in decades, Habs can't waste it on a risky player. As for your question about Galchenyuk I would assume it's because he's not highly regarded as Grigorenko universally, some rankings have him at 1 and some have him at 7. Also he's Russian-American, he's been living in North America for a while now. The 4th Period also wrote today how Burke will be making a push for Edmonton's 1st overall pick, I wouldn't be too pleased if they managed to land Yakupov, but I doubt that if Edmonton trades the pick it would be to Toronto. The only player I could see them wanting is Gardiner and it seems like he is an untouchable at this point.

I think they would probably take the 5th plus other pieces not named Gardiner (Schenn, Franson, whatever) for the 1st, but I'm not sure if that's the right move for the Leafs, especially if Burke thinks Forsberg or maybe Galchenyuk are still available at #5.

Alucard

Banned
Who would the Leafs give away? LOL. Doesn't make much sense. Burke is playing with Monopoly money, where Monopoly money is Leafs players.

Cactus

Banned
Who would the Leafs give away? LOL. Doesn't make much sense. Burke is playing with Monopoly money, where Monopoly money is Leafs players.

You don't think Schenn is worth four spots in the draft for a team who needs to draft a defenceman anyway?

Schenn + 5th (Forsberg/Galchenyuk/Murray/Dumba)

or

Yakupov

I guess it depends on whether the Oilers management think Yakupov has superstar potential. Like I said, though, I'm not sure that would be a great deal for the Leafs. The scouts seem really divided this year.

Red_Man

Personally I don't think 5th + Schenn is worth it for Yakupov, the 4th period piece that mentioned Burke was going to try and get the 1st also mentioned that Edmonton wasn't high on Schenn anyways.

It's going to be such an unpredictable draft day, all of Grigorenko, Murray, Galchenyuk and Forsberg have been rated to go 2nd overall at various times over the last couple months. Plus you add in the factor of Edmonton or Columbus possibly trading picks, it's going to be difficult to see who goes where. One of Grigorenko, Forsberg or Galchenyuk should be available for the Leafs though, I have a hard time seeing Murray not going in the top 5 especially with his debut at the Worlds.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I don't think 5th + Schenn is worth it for Yakupov, the 4th period piece that mentioned Burke was going to try and get the 1st also mentioned that Edmonton wasn't high on Schenn anyways.

It's going to be such an unpredictable draft day, all of Grigorenko, Murray, Galchenyuk and Forsberg have been rated to go 2nd overall at various times over the last couple months. Plus you add in the factor of Edmonton or Columbus possibly trading picks, it's going to be difficult to see who goes where. One of Grigorenko, Forsberg or Galchenyuk should be available for the Leafs though, I have a hard time seeing Murray not going in the top 5 especially with his debut at the Worlds.
Habs fan providing hope for the Leafs. :'(

I'm sorry about all those Gomez shots I took!

Even way before the picks were announced I was eyeing one of Forsberg or Galchenyuk since it seemed Yaks was going to Colb, Murray to Edm, Grigs to Habs and does or Gal to Isles. Fuckin edm ruining EVERYTHING!

I can't see how Murray isn't in the top three at this point. He's got immediate impact franchise defenceman written all over him. His stock is at its all time high right now and I can't imagine more than two teams passing over him.

Red_Man

MacKenzie just mentioned on twitter that it Dudley does leave TO it will be under the condition he has no involvement in Montreals draft process which is understandable.

Quick

Banned
When was the last time a coach quit his job? With Dale Hunter resigning, I'm curious to know about a similar situation if it even had occurred since most coaches are fired.

Cactus

Banned
I can't see how Murray isn't in the top three at this point. He's got immediate impact franchise defenceman written all over him. His stock is at its all time high right now and I can't imagine more than two teams passing over him.

With Lowe being part of the WHC selection committee, I can't help but think that adding Murray to the team is a way for the Oilers to decide if he's worth drafting at #1 and/or trading down for. Scouts have been saying that he's the most NHL ready in the top-10, so maybe the Oilers will snatch him up if they see something special there.

Socreges

Banned
With Lowe being part of the WHC selection committee, I can't help but think that adding Murray to the team is a way for the Oilers to decide if he's worth drafting at #1 and/or trading down for. Scouts have been saying that he's the most NHL ready in the top-10, so maybe the Oilers will snatch him up if they see something special there.
How many people consistitute the selection committee?

Cactus

Banned
How many people consistitute the selection committee?

Looking into it a bit further, I think he's the GM. Chiarelli and Nonis are his assistants, with five others (including Yzerman, whose title is Executive Director) being part of the management team.

Socreges

Banned
Looking into it a bit further, I think he's the GM. Chiarelli and Nonis are his assistants, with five others (including Yzerman, whose title is Executive Director) being part of the management team.
Yeah, so you've got seven other non-Oilers contributing to decisions. I figure Murray's selection was strictly because they thought he'd be a good addition. Lowe may have had that interest when advocating for him, but it wouldn't mean much. That's how I see it at least.

Cactus

Banned
Yeah, so you've got seven other non-Oilers contributing to decisions. I figure Murray's selection was strictly because they thought he'd be a good addition. Lowe may have had that interest when advocating for him, but it wouldn't mean much. That's how I see it at least.

How is a junior player who's never played professional hockey in any capacity a good addition? There are probably dozens of NHL caliber defencemen who would have loved to play for their country. The whole thing just seems fishy to me, even if your scenario is the more likely one.

When was the last time a coach quit his job? With Dale Hunter resigning, I'm curious to know about a similar situation if it even had occurred since most coaches are fired.

Jacques Lemaire retired (not sure if that counts).
In Ottawa, Bryan Murray was promoted to GM (I guess he quit the HC position).
Brent Sutter quit in NJ to go to Calgary.

That's the last ones I remember.

Socreges

Banned
How is a junior player who's never played professional hockey in any capacity a good addition? There are probably dozens of NHL caliber defencemen who would have loved to play for their country. The whole thing just seems fishy to me, even if your scenario is the more likely one.
On whether or not he's a good addition: they're looking 2 years down the road to Sochi (and further). I'm sure they'd rather give the opportunity to a prospect like Murray than waste it on just any NHL dman who would likely never make the cut again. And it's not like they're sporting superstars otherwise with Russell, Quincey, Schenn. Besides, he wasn't going to be a part of the roster until Subban went down. He was just included as part of the "pre-competition" roster and then got bumped up.

I just can't imagine a scenario where Lowe is so able to influence the rest of the selection committee where they choose Murray despite their own supposed reservations.

Quick

Banned
Jacques Lemaire retired (not sure if that counts).
In Ottawa, Bryan Murray was promoted to GM (I guess he quit the HC position).
Brent Sutter quit in NJ to go to Calgary.

That's the last ones I remember.

Shit, my memory sucks. Forgot about those. I won't count Murray since he was promoted, though.

Why does Hunter want out of Washington? That seems like a good job, they got farther then most people would have expected. Is it just because Ovi is on the team?

Why does Hunter want out of Washington? That seems like a good job, they got farther then most people would have expected. Is it just because Ovi is on the team?

Articles said that he didn't feel comfortable being out of his home in London, Ontario where he owns (and used to be the coach of) of the London Knights, which just recently won the OHL title. Maybe some Caps fans have better info but I can see how family + successful OHL franchise might be preferrable to living in Washington and riding out the Ovi drama.

(Apparently his brother Mark is the current HC of the Knights so if he wants to go back to work it shouldn't be quite as much drama)

Dave Hunter surprised
CSN Washington interview

Uncle

He's actually Estonian. I think I read somewhere that he would be the first Estonian born player to ever play in the NHL if he signs and makes the team.

He has a finnish/russian dual nationality, plays for the finns in international tournaments. He was born in Estonia, when Estonia was still part of the USSR.

Articles said that he didn't feel comfortable being out of his home in London, Ontario where he owns (and used to be the coach of) of the London Knights, which just recently won the OHL title. Maybe some Caps fans have better info but I can see how family + successful OHL franchise might be preferrable to living in Washington and riding out the Ovi drama.

(Apparently his brother Mark is the current HC of the Knights so if he wants to go back to work it shouldn't be quite as much drama)

Dave Hunter surprised
CSN Washington interview

I also think it is the Caps going full on for Ovie/ finding a coach that will play him more. Tough spot to be when they owe Ovie around 88 mill left on the contract.

Boss Man

Why are the Kings so good? No one really stands out while I'm watching them, but it's like they always do what I yell at my TV when my favorite team is playing. I guess they 'care' or some bullshit like that.

e. I'm sorry, offseason != postseason

Top Bottom