• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, first NHL 13 info came out today...

http://youtu.be/ajIWqp-1MgM

GM Connected and NHL Moments Live Provide All-New Experiences that Connect Hockey Fans to Their Friends and the Real-World of the NHL

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) announced today the key features for EA SPORTSTM NHL®13, promising the biggest change to the franchise since the introduction of the Skill Stick in NHL® 07. Headlined by all-new True Performance Skating, and supported by an innovative new A.I. system dubbed EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., NHL 13 will deliver a revamped gameplay experience that accurately captures the speed, creativity and strategy of NHL hockey. In addition, NHL 13 will also deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and the real world of hockey with the all-new GM Connected and NHL Moments Live modes. NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.

“The NHL team has been a leader when it comes to innovation in the sports videogame category on this console generation by redefining player control with the introduction of the Skill Stick, creating connected experiences such as the EA SPORTS Hockey League and introducing real world physics to the team sports category,” says Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “With our feature set in NHL 13, hockey fans and sports gamers have a lot to be excited about as we are again going to deliver major innovations that will change the way you play the game.”

NHL 13 delivers an innovative new gameplay experience, accurately capturing the speed, creativity and strategy of today’s NHL through:

True Performance Skating – A game-changing innovation for the franchise that adds physics-driven skating and over 1000 new animations. True Performance Skating authentically replicates the explosiveness, momentum and top end speed displayed by today’s NHL players. True Performance Skating combined with the Skill Stick, finally gives gamers access to the entire toolset of an NHL player, delivering unprecedented control and unlocking a level of creativity never before possible in a hockey videogame.
EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q. – An innovative new A.I. system that governs the behaviors of players, goalies and team systems. In previous NHL games, players were only aware of skaters in their immediate proximity and goalies could only react to the player in control of the puck. With EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., all players are now fully aware of every other player on the ice, resulting in quicker, smarter and more true-to-life decision-making. EA SPORTS Hockey IQ also delivers the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise.

NHL 13 will deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and to NHL hockey with:

GM Connected – The ultimate fantasy league with friends. GM Connected takes the franchise’s most popular offline mode, Be a GM, and allows you to play with and against your friends in your own 30-team NHL. Whether you are a hardcore sports gamer or a hockey fan that moonlights as an armchair general manager, the mode offers unrivaled accessibility and depth by allowing players to manage, play or coach on the road to building your team’s legacy. GM’s can also take their experience with them with a mobile companion app, ensuring that they never miss a single moment.*
NHL Moments Live – Rewrite or relive history as you replay some of the most thrilling moments from today’s NHL. NHL 13 evolves the concept introduced by other sports games, introducing each scenario with real-world NHL footage to bring players closer to the intensity of the moment. Moments from the 2011-12 NHL season will ship on disc and new moments from the 2012-13 NHL season will be added as and when available throughout the season.

Fans of the franchise can expect several other improvements and innovations in NHL 13, such as:

Team-First Presentation, which customizes your NHL 13 experience based on your favorite NHL team
The addition of Customizable EA SPORTS Hockey IQ allowing players to create and record their own player and team strategies to a level never before seen in the franchise.
Improvements to core offline and online modes, including Hockey Ultimate Team, Be a Pro, EA SPORTS Hockey League, a refined on-ice presentation, and more.

NHL 13 Stanley Cup® Collector’s Edition Available for Pre-Order

Celebrate over 20 years of EA SPORTS NHL hockey with the first ever collector’s edition on this console generation. With Stanley Cup-inspired digital offerings, the NHL 13 Stanley Cup Collector’s Edition includes:

Exclusive collectible Stanley Cup® tin featuring an embossed Stanley Cup image
Two Stanley Cup® Theme Hockey Ultimate Team packs featuring randomized player items from the Western and Eastern Conference Champions
Gold Jumbo Hockey Ultimate Team Pack (Regular) featuring 24 randomized items, including an exclusive Wayne Gretzky Hockey Ultimate Team Legend and six other rare items
A CCM Boost Pack featuring the all-new CCM RBZ stick (For use in Be a Pro and EA SPORTS™ Hockey League)
A 10% discount on a one-time purchase at shop.NHL.com
A complete copy of NHL 13

MSRP: $79.99

Visit the EA SPORTS NHL 13 website for more details and other pre-order offers.

*App not available in France, Gibraltar, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Libya, Morocco, Serbia and Montenegro, and Syria

true_performance_skating_nhl_13.jpg

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddddd back......

IN THE WRONG FUCKING THREAD DAMNIT! FUCK YOU YANKEE AND YOUR BULLSHIT "Bryz is the answer this team needs" CRAP!

This Flyers team is a fucking mess. It doesn't know if its build around youth or veterans and the cap situation is a mess. Lavy got made to look like a joke and the team imploded. Fuck the Flyers. This team isn't an improvement over last year. Winning one against the Devils isn't better than getting swept by the B's. The team went backwards in cap management. I hate this team.

That said.... we get Suter I think we're the favorite to win the cup next year. :D

Now GO FLYERS-WEST!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to bail on you guys. Had to finish law school ::shrug:: I can watch the Flyers fuck up in the playoffs every year. I'm told that I'm only supposed to be in my last semester of school once. Fortunately the SCF will be over before bar prep gets really serious. Really hoping to see Richie and Carts get to lift the cup this year now.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddddd back......

IN THE WRONG FUCKING THREAD DAMNIT! FUCK YOU YANKEE AND YOUR BULLSHIT "Bryz is the answer this team needs" CRAP!

This Flyers team is a fucking mess. It doesn't know if its build around youth or veterans and the cap situation is a mess. Lavy got made to look like a joke and the team imploded. Fuck the Flyers. This team isn't an improvement over last year. Winning one against the Devils isn't better than getting swept by the B's. The team went backwards in cap management. I hate this team.

That said.... we get Suter I think we're the favorite to win the cup next year. :D

Now GO FLYERS-WEST!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to bail on you guys. Had to finish law school ::shrug:: I can watch the Flyers fuck up in the playoffs every year. I'm told that I'm only supposed to be in my last semester of school once. Fortunately the SCF will be over before bar prep gets really serious. Really hoping to see Richie and Carts get to lift the cup this year now.

Welcome back, I was 100% wrong about Bryz. Fuck him.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
OMG, I hope GM connected means online GM league you can do with friends, I have been wanting that for a loooooong time!

From the description, i think that's EXACTLY what it means. Taking fantasy hockey to a dull new level OMFG. You can probably choose between playing/simulating games before starting the league. Although simulating is probably better, for timesake. BUT NO IDEA. Just awesome.

From the description, i think that's EXACTLY what it means. Taking fantasy hockey to a dull new level OMFG. You can probably choose between playing/simulating games before starting the league. Although simulating is probably better, for timesake. BUT NO IDEA. Just awesome.

It appears this is true, AH YEAH!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nhl-13-delivers-major-innovations-100000558.html

YES!!! I can't believe they are actually doing something right instead of adding "ALL NEW BROKEN STICKS!!!"

Smiley90

Smiley90

Hopefully the skating engine isn't a shitty mess like the "physics" engine has been. The shooting engine/physics needs the most work though.

Online GM sounds pretty awesome though.

I know I'm going to end up with that damn collector's edition too. :(

I'm in. Dibs on Chicago.

The more I think about, the more unrealistic are fully customized teams. Too many players to draft.

Also, imagine the awesomeness that will ensue once we reach the 2013 (and later years) draft. It will be mostly randomly generized players and we'll have NO idea how good they'll be other than what each of your scouts tell you. Post-draft rating and projecton comparisons will be AWESOME, then developing them... Ohgod jizz wverywhere.

I'll leave the Canucks for someone else and call dibs on the Oilers, I'm in for the long run.

If we really decide to do it though, we should use a random draft list generator that will randomly list our names in order and then player nr 1 is first to pick a team etc.

Marvie_3

Banned
The more I think about, the more unrealistic are fully customized teams. Too many players to draft.

Also, imagine the awesomeness that will ensue once we reach the 2013 (and later years) draft. It will be mostly randomly generized players and we'll have NO idea how good they'll be other than what each of your scouts tell you. Post-draft rating and projecton comparisons will be AWESOME, then developing them... Ohgod jizz wverywhere.

I'll leave the Canucks for someone else and call dibs on the Oilers, I'm in for the long run.

If we really decide to do it though, we should use a random draft list generator that will randomly list our names in order and then player nr 1 is first to pick a team etc.
I get #1 because I said I get #1.

I need Toews. :(

ZeroGravity

Tampa has a Russian prospect on the London Knights when I was watching tonight, I think he had two goals?
Yeah, Namestnikov, our first round pick from last year. Was happy to see that. Heard he struggled a bit through the playoffs this year, but the Memorial Cup is a good a time as any to make your name.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs have the most players represented in the Memorial Cup, and with Tinordi, Bealieu, Ellis, coming through we'll be in a fantastic position for D for a long time.

It's frustrating trying to research these picks this year, ISS has Forsberg at #2 and Galchenyuk at like #15 while Future Considerations has Galchenyuk at #2 and Forsberg at #5. Seems to be very little consensus at all after the #1 spot, but it seems to come down to Forsberg or Galchenyuk for the Habs at this point.

OnPoint

So Sulzer worked out pretty good for the Sabres.

Hey 'Nucks-GAF I'm curious -- what was the final verdict on Kassian for you?

So Sulzer worked out pretty good for the Sabres.

Hey 'Nucks-GAF I'm curious -- what was the final verdict on Kassian for you?

Final verdict? He's young, he hits things, but I'm guessing if he ever gets good it will be 2-3 seasons from now. He's a prospect who hasn't played anything resembling a full NHL season yet.

Does that make a lot of sense for our roster? Nope he's just another 4th liner for now. But I guess it's nice to know we still grow players now and then. *shrug*

OnPoint

Final verdict? He's young, he hits things, but I'm guessing if he ever gets good it will be 2-3 seasons from now. He's a prospect who hasn't played anything resembling a full NHL season yet.

Does that make a lot of sense for our roster? Nope he's just another 4th liner for now. But I guess it's nice to know we still grow players now and then. *shrug*

I actually liked him, his potential is great, and I hope he realizes it for you guys.

Curufinwe

List of Flyers getting surgery. Hopefully this is the reason Giroux did so little against the Devils:

The Flyers released their postseason injury report Saturday, and it included three players who recently had surgery, and two players who will have operations this week, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Star center Claude Giroux, who had said Scott Hartnell took some of his playoff faceoffs to give him some work, had surgery on both wrists. The 24-year-old Giroux had surgery on his right wrist to repair torn cartilage, and on his left wrist to remove bone spurs. Recovery time is six weeks.

Right winger Wayne Simmonds had surgery to repair a broken left finger, and defenseman Matt Carle had a torn stomach muscle repaired. Simmonds is expected to need four to six weeks to recover, while Carle's recovery is six weeks.

Holmgren said all-star defenseman Kimmo Timonen will have surgery to remove a disk fragment from his lower back. Full recovery is expected in eight to 10 weeks, Holmgren said.

Left winger James van Riemsdyk, who had an injury-filled season, will have surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip. He is expected to recover in six weeks.

There were reports in Sweden after the season that hobbled defenseman Nick Grossmann would need knee surgery, but Holmgren said no other Flyers would go under the knife.

YES! Fasth is finally ours! Reliable backup ahoy!

The Anaheim Ducks have signed Swedish goaltender Viktor Fasth to a one-year deal.

The team announced Monday that they have signed the netminder to a one-way deal worth $1 million.

Fasth just finished suiting up for Team Sweden at the IIHF World Championship where he posted a 4-2 record with two shutouts.

The 29-year-old keeper posted a 2.04 goals-against average with a .934 save percentage in 46 games for AIK of the Swedish Elite League in 2011-12. He is the reigning, two-time winner of the Honken Trophy, awarded annually to the best goaltender in the SEL.

Anaheim tried a variety of options behind starter Jonas Hiller in 2011-12, including Dan Ellis, Jeff Deslauriers and Iiro Tarkki. The trio combined for a 5-6 record in 15 combined appearances.

I don't have fantastically huge expectations, but I do expect more rest time for Hiller and better performances from him than Ellis gave.

Apparently he's regarded by NHL scouts as the best free agent out of Europe this season or something?

Also that NHL 13 Collectors (Sorry.. STANLEY CUP EDITION) looks terrible...

- Exclusive collectible Stanley Cup® tin featuring an embossed Stanley Cup image

- Two Stanley Cup® Theme Hockey Ultimate Team packs featuring randomized player items from the Western and Eastern Conference Champions

- Gold Jumbo Hockey Ultimate Team Pack (Regular) featuring 24 randomized items, including an exclusive Wayne Gretzky Hockey Ultimate Team Legend and six other rare items

- A CCM Boost Pack featuring the all-new CCM RBZ stick (For use in Be a Pro and EA SPORTS™ Hockey League)

- A 10% discount on a one-time purchase at shop.NHL.com

- A complete copy of NHL 13

A COMPLETE COPY YOU SAY!?

I'll only be interested in HUT if they finally give me the option to hit a button and have my Best Lineup set up. The HUD isn't convenient enough to flick through doing comparison by comparison and seeing who has the best chemistry manually etc. But if that's the case, then HUT will be worth it with all the DLC.

Stanley Cup tin? Whatever chump, I've already got three tiny Stanley Cup replicas.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Game Informer put up a pretty good preview of NHL 13

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...e/2012/05/21/things-we-know-about-nhl-13.aspx

22 Things We Know About NHL 13

Doan610.jpg

A few weeks ago we had a chance to lace up our skates and take to the ice with NHL 13. Can the series regain its balance after slipping slightly last year? Here is what we learned.

GAMEPLAY

1. Previous NHL entries featured speed differentiation between players, but the developer is the first to admit the skaters lacked explosiveness. For NHL 13, EA Canada has completely reworked the skating engine, which its marketing team is dubbing True Performance Skating. This year speedy wingers like Marian Gaborik have the ability to fly by defenders. Players reach their top speed by either reaching full stride in a straightaway or by the user pressing the L3 button. Giving players control of their speed bursts allows them to time when they want to turn on the afterburners, which can be extremely advantageous when splitting defensemen or accelerating alongside the boards to avoid a check.

2. Going fast has its limitations. Players will get fatigued faster, and only elite players like Sidney Crosby are able to stickhandle and take accurate shots while skating at top speed. If you are flying down the wing as fast as your player can skate and you try to make an aggressive turn toward the net, your player may lose his footing and wipe out. The controller will give players feedback by rumbling when they are pressing too hard.

3. EA Canada conduced a study and found that NHL players glide nearly 40 percent of their time on the ice. In NHL 12, players glided less than one percent of the time. With the limitations imposed by moving at top speed, most players are better off accelerating and then using their momentum to glide into position to take a shot or make a pass. "We wanted to capture why Henrik Sedin rarely goes at his top-end speed," says producer Sean Ramjagsingh. "He's always in control and it seems like he slows down the entire flow of the game."

4. To build the new skating system, EA Canada has added over 1,000 new animations. Players will dig their skates hard into the ice when making abrupt changes in direction, and it takes them a second to gather their momentum when quickly stopping and skating in the opposite direction. You will also see skaters subtly dodge defenders who mis-time their checks.

5. Pressing and holding the left trigger activates back skating. This can be extremely useful when positioned along the blue line in the offensive zone, opening up new shooting angles. Being able to turn and skate with forwards or pivot into a back skate is also a boon on defense, but mis-timing your pivot could leave you flat footed and create an opening for an offensive player to blow past with a well-timed speed burst. In our limited time with NHL 13, this dynamic created an interesting cat and mouse game between defenders and forwards. Since you can't skate backward as fast as attacking players skate forward anymore, Knowing when to back off, when to turn and skate, when to close the gap, and when to attempt a check requires much more awareness than in past games.

6. The real-time physics introduced a couple years back are being tweaked to account for the new sense of speed and momentum on the ice and to add more fidelity. Ramjagsingh says they are starting to see more subtle behaviors like knee-on-knee collisions.

7. EA has tweaked goaltender performance to open up the five hole for more scoring opportunities.

8. For the first time in the series, goalies now have individual limb control, which introduces more save possibilities and could also result in more deflection goals off their arms and legs.

9. Last year many fans complained that the CPU didn't take enough penalties. EA Canada plans to make this a focus this year.

Adam610.jpg

EA SPORTS HOCKEY IQ

10. For several years, users have questioned the sketchy player AI. This year the development team hopes to dispel this complaint once and for all with EA Sports Hockey IQ. "This year we've invested more effort in AI than in the last three years combined in terms of effort," Ramjagsingh says.

11. The new AI system helps players understand situations as they develop on the ice and react to them accordingly. For example, thanks to the new EA Sports Hockey IQ, goalies are much more aware of situations like odd-man rushes. Before, goalies only knew where the puck was. Now, they anticipate player positioning and react realistically to 2-on-1s, 3-on-1s, and 2-on-0s. They may cheat and play more out of the net to challenge a shooter, or sit back to avoid giving a trailing player an open net. Now that they are willing to cheat, desperation saves and scrambling goaltenders are much more common.

12. EA is also working on making sure teammate AI knows what to do when you have an odd-man rush on offense. If you cross over into their lane, they will know that they should criss cross and position themselves for a scoring opportunity.

13. Part of the AI work includes making sure there is better player differentiation on the ice. Fourth liners will go into corners more aggressively and finish their checks.

14. If you're not happy how your lines are performing you can tweak their behaviors with a new set of strategy sliders. On offense, you can control your players tendencies to carry vs. dump the puck, cycle vs. shoot, skate with efficiency or energy, or go down to block shots or not. On defense, you can use the sliders to determine whether or not your defensemen should pinch or hold the line and whether they should cycle the puck or shoot. If you want to create a fourth line that dumps and chases 100 percent of the time, you now have that option.

15. When the CPU AI employs the dump and chase, it's smart enough to try different types of dumps. Their options include ringing the puck around the boards, attempting a cross-ice dump, or shooting the puck off the back wall.

16. EA has redone every single forecheck in the game so teams employ their real-life strategies. This includes aggressive or passive 1-2-2, 1-3-1, and even the 1-4 the Tampa Bay Lightning used against the Boston Bruins during last year's Stanley Cup playoffs.

17. In addition to selecting your team's forecheck, you can also tweak their bias between hanging back in the neutral zone and a more aggressive trapping game.

18. Each team has its own custom AI template to start. You can create a new system or adopt any of the 30 templates for your own team.

Giroux_610.jpg

PRESENTATION

19. Much to the dismay of some fans, both Gary Thorne and Bill Clement return to the broadcasting booth. EA recorded commentary for the new features like True Performance Skating and some league information that will keep their comments up to date.

20. NHL 13 has a completely redone the lighting engine. New light maps replicate the look of each of the arenas in the game, and the developers also added more colored light. You will now notice light bouncing off objects and self-shadowing.

21. The developers upgraded the rendering for skates, socks, pants, jerseys, gloves, helmets, etc. so they are much more detailed. You can see the stitching in breezers, and gloves will have scuff marks. Visors also properly reflect light.

22. EA has moved away from non-interactive cutscenes. NHL 13 now uses the AI to drive the players after the whistle and the developers implemented true broadcast camera angles to capture their activity.

We saw a lot more of NHL 13, but that's all we can share right now. Look for more updates on how EA plans to improve the Be A GM mode in a couple weeks.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jacked this from Hfboards but this is the rankings for 2012 draft averaged out across many different sources listed at the bottom :

1 Nail Yakupov (range 1 to 1)
2 Filip Forsberg (range 2 to 6)
3 Ryan Murray (range 2 to 7)
4 Mikhail Grigorenko (range 2 to 11)
5 Alex Galchenyuk (range 2 to 9)
6 Matt Dumba (range 3 to 9)
7 Morgan Rielly (range 5 to 8)
8 Griffin Reinhart (range 7 to 10)
9 Teuvo Teravainen (range 5 to 13)
10 Jacob Trouba (range 7 to 13)
11 Cody Ceci (range 9 to 11)
12 Radek Faksa (range 9 to 15)
13 Brendan Gaunce (range 9 to 25)
14 Olli Maatta (range 10 to 25)
15 Derrick Pouliot (range 14 to 20)
16 Hampus Lindholm (range 12 to 24)
17 Zemgus Girgensons (range 15 to 21)
18 Matt Finn (range 13 to 25)
19 Sebastian Collberg (range 12 to 27)
20 Andrei Vasilevski (range 13 to 30)
21 Tom Wilson (range 17 to 27)
22 Nicolas Kerdiles (range 14 to 30)
23 Tomas Hertl (range 20 to 28)
24 Brady Skjei (range 22 to 27)
25 Colton Sissons (range 16 to 33)
26 Malcolm Subban (range 11 to 38)
27 Slater Koekkoek (range 21 to 30)
28 Pontus Abert (range 17 to 34)
29 Stefan Matteau (range 17 to 38)
30 Scott Laughton (range 18 to 37)

Rankings included: Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, ISS, Future Considerations, The Hockey News, Red Line Report, Chris Ralph, Mike Morreale, Adam Kimmelman, Steven Hoffner. The range represents the standard deviation of the rankings (i.e. the most probable range, not the absolute widest range).

OnPoint

3. EA Canada conduced a study and found that NHL players glide nearly 40 percent of their time on the ice.

Unless you're Thomas Vanek, then it's 80%, amirite? But seriously, that's an interesting statistic.

Top Bottom