• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Fei

Unless you're Thomas Vanek, then it's 80%, amirite? But seriously, that's an interesting statistic.

Is that you Lindy? ;) I really think this is Ruff's constant expression when watching Vanek:

Lindy+Ruff+jn8TTHwv2TQm.jpg

Cactus

Banned
Wow, that's crazy. The Marlies/Barons series looks like it'll be a long one, so the Admirals should be well rested by the time the finals are scheduled to start.

Kesler confirms that he won't be rushing back from his surgery this time around. He's completely to the full 6 month period at least and likely won't be back til December at the earliest.

I really hope Schroeder gets a good look at that 2nd line job, because overpaying for a centre in a very shitty UFA pool during the summer is NOT a good option for the team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Vigneault signed to another contract as well. Soooo what happens if Canucks get bounced in the 1st round again next season?

I'm okay with it. Not much in the way of alternatives. But his leash will definitely be shorter, extension or not. Another playoff disappointment or prolonged regular season slump and he'll be bounced.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So, Coach V signed an extension with the Canucks. Yay? Boo?

Definitely yay. He made the team much better and is well liked. One bad exit is easily excusable, a second.... Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Cake Boss

Banned
Other coaching news StLouis asst coach is gone and Bobby mac thinks he would be the Habs asst GM.

And Bingo Sens announce Luke Richardson as the new head coach.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So is the Coyotes franchise pretty much guaranteed to remain in Phoenix next year?

So is the Coyotes franchise pretty much guaranteed to remain in Phoenix next year?

I can't see Goldwater Institute not shooting down whatever crooked deal they're trying to pull with Jamieson. They already threatened to sue over the "arena management fees".

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Radio guy in Montreal said his source has told him Roy has said he will return to the Remparts next season =/ I don't really know what to think about the coaching situation anymore, but I'll trust Bergevein with whoever he chooses.

Solo

Scotty Gomez will be the new coach.

As for Roy, my gut tells me he ends up with the Nordiques when they return.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is there any deadline or anything with a date that will let us know if they are staying or not?

Something will happen in the next couple weeks. Anything stretching into June is pushing it. Last year the Thrashers move was announced the day before the Cup Finals so it could be within a week.

Cactus

Banned
Marlies win again! Scrivens looks unbelievable out there, so hopefully he can keep it up. If he finishes strong, I don't think it's a stretch to call him one of the best goalies not currently in the NHL. Also, I really hope Kadri's injury isn't serious. The Marlies will have a tough time closing out this series and matching up against Norfolk without him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Marlies win again! Scrivens looks unbelievable out there, so hopefully he can keep it up. If he finishes strong, I don't think it's a stretch to call him one of the best goalies not currently in the NHL. Also, I really hope Kadri's injury isn't serious. The Marlies will have a tough time closing out this series and matching up against Norfolk without him.

Was just coming to post this. Marlies one win away from the Calder Cup. I'm really hoping they can take it and we can see a big step forward for guys like Frattin, Gardiner, and Kadri.

Cactus

Banned
Has anyone heard the rumour that Boston is preparing a huge offer for Rick Nash? I read somewhere that Seguin+Bergeron+prospect was being discussed, but that seems way too ridiculous to be true.

I mean, Nash is a great player, but I can't understand why a 30 goal guy will get such a huge return, especially at 7.8m for another 6 years.

EDIT: Here's where I read it. I'm not sure how credible the website is, but they have Seguin+Bergeron+Hamilton for Nash as a possibility, with Krejci+multiple picks and prospects as an offer that Howson would not accept.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If that happens Boston would have just shot themselves in the foot.

What need would they have for Rick Nash? It's not like they're a weak team that needs his strength. Especially with Seguin coming off a near 30 goal season when he hasn't even come close to hitting his peak yet.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Has anyone heard the rumour that Boston is preparing a huge offer for Rick Nash? I read somewhere that Seguin+Bergeron+prospect was being discussed, but that seems way too ridiculous to be true.

I mean, Nash is a great player, but I can't understand why a 30 goal guy will get such a huge return, especially at 7.8m for another 6 years.

EDIT: Here's where I read it. I'm not sure how credible the website is, but they have Seguin+Bergeron+Hamilton for Nash as a possibility, with Krejci+multiple picks and prospects as an offer that Howson would not accept.

Holy hahahahahaha! I wish.

Looks like it's just saying that it's rumored Columbus wants the Seguin package for Nash. Doesn't say anything about Boston giving it any consideration. Would be absurd to.

aidan

Joe Haggerty (CSNNE.com) heard from a Blue Jackets blog (The Canon) who heard on Columbus radio (97.1 The Fan) which interviewed Blue Jackets TV play-by-play man (Jeff Rimer) who reported that the Bruins were preparing a big offer for Nash.

Seems legit...

Cactus

Banned
Looks like it's just saying that it's rumored Columbus wants the Seguin package for Nash. Doesn't say anything about Boston giving it any consideration. Would be absurd to.

Seems legit...

Yeah, it's definitely sketchy, which is why I mentioned that an offer like that would be a ridiculous overpayment. I would be very surprised if that trade package was ever on the table, but I do see Boston possibly having interest in Nash.

Solo

Fleecing of the decade - for Columbus - if that happens. Pro-tip: it won't fucking happen.

Barstool Philly on Richards and Carter.

1.) This guy is a moron. 2.) He's still right.

The Carter trade turned out pretty well for the Flyers. The Richards trade? Meh.

None of that matters though because the cap space created by the moves was blown on Mr. Universe. Bob was a perfectly acceptable option for this year. Other options included going after Vokoun more forcefully and going after Varlamov.

Gonna be wearing the Richards jersey for the rest of the playoffs now. YOU'RE STILL MY CAPTAIN RICHIE! :'(

Except for that whole Giroux guy.... he's pretty amazing. The point here is I will always love you!..... you know... just LESS than everyone on the Flyers. Don't make this more awkward than it hast to be alright!?

Barstool Philly on Richards and Carter.

1.) This guy is a moron. 2.) He's still right.

The Carter trade turned out pretty well for the Flyers. The Richards trade? Meh.

None of that matters though because the cap space created by the moves was blown on Mr. Universe. Bob was a perfectly acceptable option for this year. Other options included going after Vokoun more forcefully and going after Varlamov.

Gonna be wearing the Richards jersey for the rest of the playoffs now. YOU'RE STILL MY CAPTAIN RICHIE! :'(

Except for that whole Giroux guy.... he's pretty amazing. The point here is I will always love you!..... you know... just LESS than everyone on the Flyers. Don't make this more awkward than it hast to be alright!?

Bryz did not work out at all this year, I totally agree that his signing wound up being a terrible move. Even with that though there is no way that Bob as #1 was a real option. He was fucking awful this year, if the Flyers had started the year with Bob in net they would have missed the playoffs for sure. Bryz was the best out of the available options it just sucks that they gave him such a long contract.

Hunter S.

As for Roy, my gut tells me he ends up with the Nordiques when they return.

He said he would never play for the Nordiques, I hardly think he would coach the Quebec coyotes. Return to Colorado the team that actually retired him right away is my thought.

Does anyone know who owns the Nordiques name? If the Yotes move to Quebec they need to be named the Nordiques and they need to wear the same jerseys they used to.

Hunter S.

From what I remember the Avalanche still own the rights to the Nordiques name as well as everything and thus it would be up to them whether or not they could be the Nordiques again in Quebec. A little vague on this, but the Avs always tried to treat the Nordiques themselves as part of their history especially when they first got to Denver.

Cactus

Banned
A couple more tidbits of information (no crazy rumors this time):

1. Steve Yzerman recently suggested that he wasn't necessarily interested in trading for a goaltender

“Obviously I’d love to have a 20-year-old [Roberto] or Martin Brodeur and not worry about goaltending for the next 20 years, but that’s hard to do...My philosophy, I’m trying to find that Hall of Famer goaltender...It takes time. We’ll find that through the draft, through unrestricted free agency."

2. Rick Dudley has officially joined the Habs, but the agreement between Burke and Bergevin requires him to avoid any draft involvement this year.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Canadiens officially name Rick Dudley assistant GM. Agreement with Leafs is that he won't work the draft. Larry Carriere stays on with Habs.

3. The Leafs have signed Petter Granberg to a 3 year entry-level contract. At 19 years old, he already has a prominant role in the SEL as a shutdown defencemen, and played important minutes for Sweden during their recent victory at the World Juniors.

aidan

A couple more tidbits of information (no crazy rumors this time):

1. Steve Yzerman recently suggested that he wasn't necessarily interested in trading for a goaltender

“Obviously I’d love to have a 20-year-old [Roberto] or Martin Brodeur and not worry about goaltending for the next 20 years, but that’s hard to do...My philosophy, I’m trying to find that Hall of Famer goaltender...It takes time. We’ll find that through the draft, through unrestricted free agency."

Have fun with that, Steve.

Top Bottom