• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Rick Dudley to Habs confirmed. Nice!

Dudley to the Habs eh...
Trojan-Horse.gif

What do you expect Yzerman to say? "We need a goale badly, preferably a good one"? It's bartering 101: say you're not interested to lower the demand. Gillis said he could go with both Luongo and Schneider next year, which makes him look less desperate to trade one of them.

Marvie_3

Banned
Does anyone know who owns the Nordiques name? If the Yotes move to Quebec they need to be named the Nordiques and they need to wear the same jerseys they used to.
Quebecor has already said the team would be renamed the Nordiques.

From what I remember the Avalanche still own the rights to the Nordiques name as well as everything and thus it would be up to them whether or not they could be the Nordiques again in Quebec. A little vague on this, but the Avs always tried to treat the Nordiques themselves as part of their history especially when they first got to Denver.
The Avs couldn't care less about the Nordiques history. They don't count any of the Nordiques records, statistics, or retired numbers. It'd be easy to get the Nordiques history from the Avs.

Rick Dudley to Habs confirmed. Nice!

Great move for the Habs.

Quebecor has already said the team would be renamed the Nordiques.

That is such great news. I hope they dont change the logo at all. I was set to get a Jets jersey when they came back but I didnt like the new logo as much as the old ones. Did the team used to have the same hiring deal as the Habs where they mostly only hire people who are bi-lingual?

Marvie_3

Banned
That is such great news. I hope they dont change the logo at all. I was set to get a Jets jersey when they came back but I didnt like the new logo as much as the old ones. Did the team used to have the same hiring deal as the Habs where they mostly only hire people who are bi-lingual?
The new Jets jerseys look a lot better in person.

Nordiques almost always had French coaches but I don't know if they were douches about it like the Habs.

Solo

2 best things about the Nordiques returning:

1. The return of the (formerly amazing and heated) battle of Quebec.
2. All the faux Habs "fans" who became such due to the Nords dying/moving and orphaning them can now GTFO of the Habs train and back to Quebec City.

Socreges

Banned
What do you expect Yzerman to say? "We need a goale badly, preferably a good one"? It's bartering 101: say you're not interested to lower the demand. Gillis said he could go with both Luongo and Schneider next year, which makes him look less desperate to trade one of them.
Pretty much. Rule of thumb: never take a GM at their word.

Cactus

Banned
Here's a bit more Leafs related news:

Nonis did a radio interview this morning. He mentions that management is still actively seeking a veteran goaltender. They are very happy with Scrivens' performance in the AHL playoffs, and Nonis guaranteed that he will be given every chance to come into camp and play his way onto the team.

He also said that the Leafs will not be looking very closely at the free agent market. While they will be submitting offers, he doesn't like the idea of entering into bidding wars for players that will most likely end up overpaid. From this point forward, the Leafs will primarily use the trade market to improve.

Lastly, he mentioned that there are a lot of great talents in the first round of the draft, so he expects more trading up/down than previous years. With the combine happening next week, the Leafs are on the verge of finalizing their draft strategy

-

Dudley also had some interesting things to say about the Leafs. In a short interview he gave after his move to the Habs became official, he mentioned that acquiring a good goaltender is exactly what the team needs in order to become "a really, really good hockey organization."

Here are a few other quotes:

Defencemen on the Marlies: "I think people don't understand when you look at some of these kids like Gardiner, Blacker, Holzer, Percy,” Dudley said. “They are all going to play in the league and they're going to be good.”

Joe Colborne: "He is such a big horse, if his cardiovascular fitness is elite and he improves his quickness just a bit, he can become a top-two centre in the NHL for sure,” he said. “If Barb (recently hired skating coach - has worked with Boyle and Tavares) can give Joe Colborne a step, then I think he becomes a bona-fide top-two-line guy in the NHL.”

He also mentioned that he expects Frattin and Kadri to be big-time offensive contributors for the Leafs very soon, and that priority #1 for Luke Schenn in the off-season should be skating, and trying to enhance his quickness and agility.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Glad to see Dudley finally brought on, and Larry kept on as well, Bergevin is building a strong front office, something the Habs haven't had for a very long time.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Here's a bit more Leafs related news:

Nonis did a radio interview this morning. He mentions that management is still actively seeking a veteran goaltender. They are very happy with Scrivens' performance in the AHL playoffs, and Nonis guaranteed that he will be given every chance to come into camp and play his way onto the team.

He also said that the Leafs will not be looking very closely at the free agent market. While they will be submitting offers, he doesn't like the idea of entering into bidding wars for players that will most likely end up overpaid. From this point forward, the Leafs will primarily use the trade market to improve.

Lastly, he mentioned that there are a lot of great talents in the first round of the draft, so he expects more trading up/down than previous years. With the combine happening next week, the Leafs are on the verge of finalizing their draft strategy

-

Dudley also had some interesting things to say about the Leafs. In a short interview he gave after his move to the Habs became official, he mentioned that acquiring a good goaltender is exactly what the team needs in order to become "a really, really good hockey organization."

Here are a few other quotes:

Defencemen on the Marlies: "I think people don't understand when you look at some of these kids like Gardiner, Blacker, Holzer, Percy,” Dudley said. “They are all going to play in the league and they're going to be good.”

Joe Colborne: "He is such a big horse, if his cardiovascular fitness is elite and he improves his quickness just a bit, he can become a top-two centre in the NHL for sure,” he said. “If Barb (recently hired skating coach - has worked with Boyle and Tavares) can give Joe Colborne a step, then I think he becomes a bona-fide top-two-line guy in the NHL.”

He also mentioned that he expects Frattin and Kadri to be big-time offensive contributors for the Leafs very soon, and that priority #1 for Luke Schenn in the off-season should be skating, and trying to enhance his quickness and agility.

Man I hope so, I didn't join NHL-GAF until after the lockout so I never really experienced the Leafs in the playoffs. I've been sitting on this playoff avatar for years now!

Justin Schultz just fired paperwork to quit school, confirming his process to enter the summer as an UFA.

LET THE JUSTIN SCHULTZ LOTTERY BEGIN

Red_Man

Has Schultz made any indication as to where he would like to play at all?

Dudley was just on TSN 990 and said that Habs D prospect core is very strong and we need more scoring (obvious) and he says this is the most interesting draft he's ever seen.

Cactus

Banned
Has Schultz made any indication as to where he would like to play at all?

http://kylethereporter.com/2012/01/...hultz-badgers-best-duo-once-bound-for-anheim/

Jake Gardiner said:
“We talked about playing pro together,” said Gardiner. ”People always asked us about playing on the same pro team, our answer was always were not there yet. We definately talked about it though because we’re really good friends.”

“I was actually talking to him a couple of days ago and I’m going to go back to Wisconsin for the All-Star break to see him and get some skating in,” said Gardiner. “It”s good working with him because we teach each other little things.”

“We’ve joked around that someday, maybe we’ll play together again.”

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Imagine if leafs were forced to select a d-man at the draft and then somehow got Schultz

I would cry because we'd be like an extreme case of Nashville with D prospects so good that we'd be leaving so many legit top 4 d-men in the minors

Unless they decide to try something new, dress 9 D... 5 forward pairs (and 1 float (goon))... One offensive D-man replaces the centerman

2-3 instead of 3-2

I think that could be comical and interesting... Perfect for a trap

Red_Man

Imagine if leafs were forced to select a d-man at the draft and then somehow got Schultz

I would cry because we'd be like an extreme case of Nashville with D prospects so good that we'd be leaving so many legit top 4 d-men in the minors

Unless they decide to try something new, dress 9 D... 5 forward pairs (and 1 float (goon))... One offensive D-man replaces the centerman

2-3 instead of 3-2

Might as well, nothing else is working ;)
I kid, Dudley actually said today he expects Toronto to surprise a lot of people soon, and they have some big pieces coming up so that should be encouraging for Leaf fans.

Red_Man

Beaulieu just had a great outlet pass that led to a goal in their game, Hamilton should have a great chance at the Calder next year with the likes of Ellis, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Holland, Gallagher, Kristo, Bournival and others going there. A lot to look forward to. Bournival just got a goal or an assist as well.

Heretic

Everyday I wake up and wonder "how the fuck did we get Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin?"

I think the trade worked well both ways. We got a lot of mileage out of Beauch and even extended his contract.

I'm hoping Schultz signs with the Ducks. I remember Dastardly mentioning that he factored in the Gardiner trade. If Schultz doesn't join the Ducks the fuck him and fuck the queens.

I hope we get Dumba too. Schultz would be the bigger signing though.

Red_Man

Things are looking more and more likely that Dumba is available at #6 the two factors that's could affect it is if Islanders go off the board and grab him, and what Ducks management has in mind and what they believe the team needs.

MPW

Pretty excited! Is it next season yet. Just give the Kings the cup already.

devils will win :(

hope we get a good coach

if larry robinson is still interested in assistant coach position, bring him in

"Robinson enjoys working with young defencemen," Cape said. "I'm sure he would be able to bring a player like P.K. Subban to a new level. "

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

2-3 instead of 3-2

If that were to happen I'd hope we'd be able to move 1 or 2 of them for some sexy talent up front.

Frattin has been beasting in the playoffs. I predict 20 goals next season in the NHL.

Hmm this could happen, Leafs-GAF we may need to come up with an image macro/nickname for him post haste.

Red_Man

Schultz won't sign with a team if they have a backlog of D prospects, just common sense.

if larry robinson is still interested in assistant coach position, bring him in
I really really really hope we can bring him in, he's wanted to come for a while but Gautheir being the waste of life he was never called him back. Especially with our influx of great D prospects, it could be on of Bergevins best moves.

Hunter S.

The Avs couldn't care less about the Nordiques history. They don't count any of the Nordiques records, statistics, or retired numbers. It'd be easy to get the Nordiques history from the Avs

Well no dah they are a seperate organization. The do own the rights so they could only be called the Nordiques if the avs gave up the right or sold it to them. I bet the Avs would make them pay as the Knonke owners do not seem to care about the sport of hockey as much as making a profit. A Quebec buyer would have to pay so there is no gurantee.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well no dah they are a seperate organization. The do own the rights so they could only be called the Nordiques if the avs gave up the right or sold it to them. I bet the Avs would make them pay as the Knonke owners do not seem to care about the sport of hockey as much as making a profit. A Quebec buyer would have to pay so there is no gurantee.

Nah, all expired marks become property of the NHL

Owner (REGISTRANT) National Hockey League NOT-FOR-PROFIT ASSOCIATION CANADA 1185 Avenue of the Americas New York NEW YORK 10036

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want a goalie? Hasek wants to come back to the NHL!

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/05/former_red_wings_goalie_domini.html

He may be 47 years old, but former Detroit Red Wings' goaltender Dominik Hasek apparently thinks he still has what it takes to play in the National Hockey League.

Hasek, who hasn't played in the NHL since he was with the Red Wings in 2007-08, told iSport.cz that he's interesting in playing an 18th season in the NHL.

Elliotte Friedman of CBC and Hockey Night in Canada confirmed that Hasek is indeed contemplating a comeback.

"Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper "Daily Sports" indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL," Friedman said on Twitter. "Hasek: "For sure, I know what I want...even my agent, he knows...but I'm not going to make any comments." That quote is translated to me by Zdenek."

Hasek had three stints with the Red Wings, helping them win the Stanley Cup twice.

After leading Detroit to the Cup in 2001-02, when he led the league in victories while posting a 41-15-8 regular-season record before ringing up a 16-7 mark in the playoffs, Hasek retired for the first time.

He rejoined the Red Wings in 2002-03 but missed the majority of that season with a groin injury and then signed with Ottawa in 2005-06. He returned to Detroit in 2006-07 and then retired yet again after the Red Wings won the 2008 Stanley Cup.

After sitting out one season and playing one season in the Czech Repulib and another in Russia, Hasek sat out last season before announcing he'd like to return to the NHL.

Hasek is considered one of the greatest goaltenders of his era if not in all of NHL history.

He has won the Vezina Trophy six times as the NHL's best goalie, the Hart Trophy twice as the NHL MVP, led the league in save percentage six times and goals-against average twice, and is a six-time All Star.

The oldest goalie in the NHL last season was 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson of Tampa Bay.

Red_Man

London meets Shawinagan in the Memorial Cup finals, both teams Captained by Hab prospects feelsgoodman.jpeg

If the kids make progress in the summer and everyone is healthy then Division title or bust.

They'll make progress, but we'll still need to sign someone to hit the floor even with EK's massive contract extension. Unless the cap drops a lot with the new CBA. No point in spending a ton until we're ready for the big push.

Hunter S.

Once again Rangers dissapoint. Hell is crying with joy over evils triumph over good. I think this may be sign of the end of days. Kings baby!!! Better finish them off!

Edit: Wrong NHL thread. lol

Top Bottom