• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
Nah, all expired marks become property of the NHL

Owner (REGISTRANT) National Hockey League NOT-FOR-PROFIT ASSOCIATION CANADA 1185 Avenue of the Americas New York NEW YORK 10036
Not if the NHL doesn't apply for control of them. This is news to me though. I wasn't aware that the Nordiques name/trademarks were ever given up by the Avs..

Hawks sign Mayers to a 1 year deal
jYat24Evh4oYw.jpg

Don't see the Marlies stopping Norfolk's magical season. Something something destiny...

Now you've done it......

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They're moving the marlies game to the ACC, no? Wonder how many tickets they can sell...

A Toronto team in the finals that's not the rock!

Socreges

Banned
So how come no one from Dreger/Kypreos/etc never followed up on the alleged 'Luongo trade list' stuff? Haven't heard a peep since it was all the rage.

Ah well... I think it would have been better to go to the ACC... Far more accessible than Ricoh (it takes me less time to get to the ACC than Ricoh, and Ricoh is way closer to me lol)

Yea, Ricoh is a pain in the ass to get to

Tickets are on sale at noon tomorrow, I'm going to try for game 3 or 4 tickets

DopeyFish

So how come no one from Dreger/Kypreos/etc never followed up on the alleged 'Luongo trade list' stuff? Haven't heard a peep since it was all the rage.

I guess it's a little hard to get anything because players, agents, etc are likely not in contact right now as there is no real purpose to be unless they are pending FAs, likely vacationing. Maybe hear stuff around draft or August-ish in the lead up to preseason.

I guess it's a little hard to get anything because players, agents, etc are likely not in contact right now as there is no real purpose to be unless they are pending FAs, likely vacationing. Maybe hear stuff around draft or August-ish in the lead up to preseason.

Um, Luongo's agent is almost certainly in contact with management regularly right now.

Socreges

Banned
Was hoping people would agree with me and figure that the reports/leaks weren't, in fact, credible at all. I may turn out to be wrong, but it's what I've thought since the beginning. Just struck me as too sudden and convenient.

...maybe my heart just wasn't ready.

I think the trade worked well both ways. We got a lot of mileage out of Beauch and even extended his contract.

I'm hoping Schultz signs with the Ducks. I remember Dastardly mentioning that he factored in the Gardiner trade. If Schultz doesn't join the Ducks the fuck him and fuck the queens.

I hope we get Dumba too. Schultz would be the bigger signing though.
I'm pretty sure the fact that Schultz just started the process that will turn him UFA pretty much confirms he won't be signing with the Ducks. They have 30 days to exclusively negotiate with him, but the fact that he's gotten this far without signing a contract, and that he's starting his UFA process means he probably has zero intentions of staying with the Ducks.

Schultz can pretty much play on any team he wants, I just don't see the Ducks having anything that could convince him to stay. Toronto has Gardiner, Edmonton will put him in the top 2, potentially with Murray, Vancouver's got the hometown angle and will be a cup contender for a good while.

Was hoping people would agree with me and figure that the reports/leaks weren't, in fact, credible at all. I may turn out to be wrong, but it's what I've thought since the beginning. Just struck me as too sudden and convenient.

...maybe my heart just wasn't ready.

Nah Luongo's comments gave a lot of credibility towards it. I actually don't doubt that he'll stay, but more likely because they won't be able to get adequate value for that contract.

Socreges

Banned
Nah Luongo's comments gave a lot of credibility towards it. I actually don't doubt that he'll stay, but more likely because they won't be able to get adequate value for that contract.
No, I think he's probably gone. I just found it difficult to believe that he'd so quickly put together a top 5 and let it slip to the media, or that the Canucks had so quickly requested it of him.

Cactus

Banned
Man, finishing thes series yesterday was a very important accomplishment for the Marlies. If they can get at least 2-3 of their injured forwards back in time for the finals, I think they'll have a legitimate chance to win the cup.

A fourth line of Orr-Rosehill-Engel (defenceman on an AHL contract) was an interesting experiment, but I hope Eakins never has to do it again.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm pretty sure the fact that Schultz just started the process that will turn him UFA pretty much confirms he won't be signing with the Ducks. They have 30 days to exclusively negotiate with him, but the fact that he's gotten this far without signing a contract, and that he's starting his UFA process means he probably has zero intentions of staying with the Ducks.

Schultz can pretty much play on any team he wants, I just don't see the Ducks having anything that could convince him to stay. Toronto has Gardiner, Edmonton will put him in the top 2, potentially with Murray, Vancouver's got the hometown angle and will be a cup contender for a good while.

This has got to be the most overrated factor ever.

This brah needs to be forced to play for the Ducks and the next CBA needs to fix this fucking loophole.

Cactus

Banned
So, apparently a beat writer in Minnesota believes that Schultz has already decided who to sign with, and that the Ducks will immediately accuse the team he signs with of tampering.

His guess: Toronto

This definitely sounds like bullshit to me, because (1) Burke would never tamper (2) Burke and Murray are as close as two rival GMs can get and (3) How the hell would a Minnesota-based beat reporter have inside information about a Ducks prospect that plays in Wisconsin?

I'm sure Gardiner has been advising his buddy to sign in T.O but there's no rule against that.

EDIT: Also, expect Schultz to refrain from signing with anybody until his birthday on July 6th. At 22 years old, he can supposedly sign a two year entry level deal rather than a three year deal.

Tabris

Tabris said:
- Steven Stamkos won't score more than 40 goals
- Christian Ehrhoff won't score more than 40-45 points
- Crosby comes back within 20 games but doesn't go past 1.2 PPG during the rest of the year
- Phil Kessel still doesn't score more than 40 goals
- New Jersey Devils make the playoffs and make it to 2nd round
- Ilya Kovalchuk scores more than 80 points and 40 goals
- Sedins have more points combined than Ovechkin + Stamkos
- Boston loses in the first round of the playoffs (or 2nd if they don't play NJD in 1st round)
- Vancouver Canucks win the Stanley Cup

Here were my predictions before the season started (bolded are the ones that came true).

Stamkos expanded his game. Near the end of last year, I thought everyone had figured out that one timer from the left side as they were shutting him down pretty good, but he came back from last year with a better game.

Third to Last and Last are the most depressing. Third would have been true without the injury to Daniel (and probably last). I think we should all make some guesses/predictions before the beginning of next season, see what we were right and wrong with.

Marvie_3

Banned
So, apparently a beat writer in Minnesota believes that Schultz has already decided who to sign with, and that the Ducks will immediately accuse the team he signs with of tampering.

This definitely sounds like bullshit to me, because (1) Burke would never tamper (2) Burke and Murray are as close as two rival GMs can get and (3) How the hell would a Minnesota-based beat reporter have inside information about a Ducks prospect that plays in Wisconsin?

I'm sure Gardiner has been advising his buddy to sign in T.O but there's no rule against that.

EDIT: Also, expect Schultz to refrain from signing with anybody until his birthday on July 6th. At 22 years old, he can supposedly sign a two year entry level deal rather than a three year deal.
Minnesota_Wild_State_of_Hockey-300x291.jpg

We know all.

DopeyFish

Lol accusing the leafs of tampering...

You traded away gardiner, if he convinces schultz... Well it's your own damned fault lol would make signing beauchemin the best free agency signing the leafs ever made if true

Edit : leafs also have a 4th round pick from Anaheim in the beauchemin deal in the next draft... From the way things are going... That pick might be as good as 1st overall lol

Quick

Banned

What's the deal with Schultz? I haven't been following anything prospect related since the playoffs started. Anyone want to give me a layman's terms breakdown?

It's true because:

1. Everyone wants to play in Toronto.
2. See number one.

3. Something something Toronto

Here were my predictions before the season started (bolded are the ones that came true).

Kessel got so close to 40. Regardless, he had career highs in goals, assists, and points overall. Ain't even mad. Plus, Lupul getting injured and Carlyle changing things up may have had an effect on him.

Leafs have been accused of tampering before:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294023

Not the smartest move on the part of Leafs TV and Ron Wilson (from an earlier incident). I did enjoy their draft documentary, though.

Big-E

Tampering is such bullshit. It happens in every sport yet for some reason one or two cases get made into a big deal. How the fuck do players sign as soon as free agency is open? Do people really think they make decisions that are going to affect their life and families in 30 minutes?

What's the deal with Schultz? I haven't been following anything prospect related since the playoffs started. Anyone want to give me a layman's terms breakdown?

2nd round draft pick of the Ducks. Due to some loophole in the CBA, he's able to burn all his RFA years and enter the summer as an UFA while still being 19.

He's currently one of the best defensive prospects in the league, being referred to as even better than Jake Gardiner. He's also NHL ready and can slot into the top 4 on most teams.

Finally, he still has to sign an ELC, so 3 years at 900,000.

Cactus

Banned
"Burke would never tamper" lol

I'm glad you found that funny. It's probably true, though. (I mean tampering as in attempting to directly influence the decisions of players who are part of other organizations, specifically. The term is much broader than I initially thought, if the link KernelPanic posted is anything to go by.)

Socreges

Banned
I'm glad you found that funny. It's probably true, though. (I mean tampering as in attempting to directly influence the decisions of players who are part of other organizations, specifically. The term is much broader than I initially thought, if the link KernelPanic posted is anything to go by.)
Was just laughing at "never", as if you've got an intimate knowledge of his moral compass and his dealings in the NHL through the last fifteen years.

You could almost smell Schultz's Anaheim career go up in smoke the day that Gardiner was dealt away. And what a blow to our future that will be...

But to know (as solid fact when, there's enough evidence) that Burke didn't abide by the rules, and tampered, will consequently be a real source of frustration for years to come. It'll be emotionally blown out of proportion from my end simply as a way for me to vent my whole frustration about losing two fantastic D.

Let's face facts: He was probably going to go where Gardiner went regardless. The writing was on the wall. But to think that Burke wouldn't have the decency to just wait til draft day then make it official will encourage me as a Ducks fan to wag my finger disapprovingly at Toronto as a whole, since it pretty much is the embodiment of this whole situation in the first place.

tl;dr - I'm feeling like I'm going to overreact emotionally if this is true.

Also I know Bryz is joking, but having a +1 that does pole fitness competitively has opened my eyes to how athletic a sport it is. People think 'pole' and straight away think of strippers and dollar bills flying everywhere, when really it's more like an advanced form of gymnastics that requires absolute perfection in their technique as well as months of training and skin conditioning to pull off any advanced trick properly. I would've thought that Cirque Du Soliel made that slightly obvious to everyone by now.

And it's definitely not just for girls either...

Hell even some contortion training (a requirement of any pole performer) with him would probably make him more worth his contract...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You could almost smell Schultz's Anaheim career go up in smoke the day that Gardiner was dealt away. And what a blow to our future that will be...

But to know (as solid fact when, there's enough evidence) that Burke didn't abide by the rules, and tampered, will consequently be a real source of frustration for years to come. It'll be emotionally blown out of proportion from my end simply as a way for me to vent my whole frustration about losing two fantastic D.

Let's face facts: He was probably going to go where Gardiner went regardless. The writing was on the wall. But to think that Burke wouldn't have the decency to just wait til draft day then make it official will encourage me as a Ducks fan to wag my finger disapprovingly at Toronto as a whole, since it pretty much is the embodiment of this whole situation in the first place.

Murray and Burke are like besties though. Honestly I feel if Burke truly wants Schultz he'd give something of decent value back to Murray.

DopeyFish

Murray and Burke are like besties though. Honestly I feel if Burke truly wants Schultz he'd give something of decent value back to Murray.

Yeah but as far as Burke is concerned... Schultz is an Anaheim player going to be UFA

What's the point of trading for his rights when he isn't talking to Anaheim?

He's almost 100% guaranteed going to UFA, and with having gardiner on board, plus the GM who drafted him on board I'm sure Burke will just wait

If he comes via free agency, Anaheim isn't owed anything

Yes it sucks... Very badly for Anaheim simply because how brutally awful the beauchemin trade was... Add in this and Anaheims staff should be gutted simply because they let two TOP D prospects walk for beauchemin

It was Anaheims Rask deal. It's going to be burned in the minds of ducks fans everywhere... Just like how leafs fans blood boils when you bring up raycroft/Rask

Cactus

Banned

Well, if the tampering thing turns out to be true, I don't blame you. Remember, though, that the Leafs were just a guess. If this reporter is right, Anaheim is preparing a tampering case against whichever team Schultz signs with, which implies that their case is speculative rather than based on specific facts.

Honestly though, I expect Schultz to sign with Edmonton/Vancouver/Toronto and nothing more to come of it. This situation pretty much mirrors the Bill Sweatt contract issue, and neither Chicago nor Toronto filed tampering charges even though it was pretty evident that Sweatt chose his team beforehand.

Sometimes I think Carlo colaiacovo let's his identical twin brother Paulo stand in for him

Who'd stand in for this ?

tumblr_lmpbgxsUC71qcksb6.gif

Honestly though, I expect Schultz to sign with Edmonton/Vancouver/Toronto and nothing more to come of it. This situation pretty much mirrors the Bill Sweatt contract issue, and neither Chicago nor Toronto filed tampering charges even though it was pretty evident that Sweatt chose his team beforehand.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/05/s...million-and-draft-pick-in-tampering-case.html

Years ago, St. Louis got busted for tampering with Scott Stevens while he was still under contract with New Jersey. I imagine this stuff happens all the time but it's really hard to prove.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seems like it's going to be Hartley tbh, and at least he's won at every level he's coached. I trust Bergevin at this point with any decision he makes until he proves me wrong.

Solo

Hartley has the same coaching style as Martin did and, while that defensive-systems-oriented style brought us success for a time under Martin, I really do not want a redux of that get-a-one-goal-lead-then-choke-the-life-out-of-the-opponent style. I want to be forechecking hard, whether we're down by 2 or up by 2.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Meh, it's not like there are a lot of great, french speaking coaches available. I don't see Bergevien hiring someone that will put the team in the same position it's been while under Martin.

Shawinigan and London going into the 3rd tied 1-1 right now.

Top Bottom