• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cake Boss

Banned
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports on ESPN.com that the league has proposed to have free agency start on July 10 instead of the traditional July 1 opening day.

According to LeBrun, a later start date to free agency could allow teams more breathing room after the NHL Draft, which is traditionally held in late June.

A later date would also be clear of Canada Day on July 1 and the July 4 U.S. holiday, maximizing media coverage for big signings.

LeBrun adds that the flip side could be that a later start date means less time for players to sign contracts, which may not sit well with the NHLPA.

Yay some news.

Cake Boss

Banned
ESPN NHL coverage ‏@ESPN_NHL
Source says Phoenix Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison secures financing

iB8K0TnE08Oc9.gif

Henrik, that's all well and good, but Henrique was only 113 1st-place votes behind Landeskog...

I've seen a few posts previously about how apparently he'd prefer Florida because he wouldn't be able to hack it in Toronto.

Having lived in both markets/cities, I've found that Vancouver's a much more critical town than Toronto when it comes to hockey. Of course the weight of expectation in both cities (for one, winning its first ever championship, in the other, not being as shitty as Reimer/Jonas/Toskala) is immense, but one is greater than the other and the fan-bases act accordingly.

Florida's an ideal place for any player in his situation, even before you toss in the family aspect. Good team, weakish division, Rubio - the Panthers have it all.

ps - I'm sad you guys missed Dopey's sarcasm. This lockout is tearing us apart.

Landeskog faced the toughest competition on the team and came out with the highest corsi rating.

Henrique faced middling competition and came out with a middling corsi rating.

Having lived in both markets/cities, I've found that Vancouver's a much more critical town than Toronto when it comes to hockey. Of course the weight of expectation in both cities (for one, winning its first ever championship, in the other, not being as shitty as Reimer/Jonas/Toskala) is immense, but one is greater than the other and the fan-bases act accordingly.

Florida's an ideal place for any player in his situation, even before you toss in the family aspect. Good team, weakish division, Rubio - the Panthers have it all.

ps - I'm sad you guys missed Dopey's sarcasm. This lockout is tearing us apart.

You can't even put Reimer and even Gus (even though I never liked him) in Toskala's category. He was straight up awful. Anaheim dumped him to Calgary for practically nothing.

You can't even put Reimer and even Gus (even though I never liked him) in Toskala's category. He was straight up awful. Anaheim dumped him to Calgary for practically nothing.

I would agree if it weren't for what I saw post trade deadline from Gustavsson. That was some of the worst goaltending (behind one of the stupidest defencemen we've ever had, Schenn) I'd ever seen.

femshep is fakeshep

I would agree if it weren't for what I saw post trade deadline from Gustavsson. That was some of the worst goaltending (behind one of the stupidest defencemen we've ever had, Schenn) I'd ever seen.

femshep is fakeshep

Lol that goal against the Devils in OT still infuriates me to this day. Only Gus could've let in a shot that was going wide into the net.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, why would you need another goaltender when you've got the AHL All-Star tandem of Reimer/Scrivens.
Better than being on the hook for the next decade for that shitty contract? I'm not saying we should stand pat. My point was I don't care if TO isn't his first choice. Better to find someone else.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Better than being on the hook for the next decade for that shitty contract? I'm not saying we should stand pat. My point was I don't care if TO isn't his first choice. Better to find someone else.

Let's see, better to have more cap space and be out of the playoffs or have less cap space and be IN the playoffs... Mhmmm... It's all about priorities I suppose!

Beating a dead horse here, but Luongo's contract isn't all that bad. Cap hit is friendly, term is long but was the norm back when it was signed (Franzen, Hossa, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk), no one expected Schneider to do better than him (up until the playoffs everyone was expecting Schneider to be traded).

Top Bottom