• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, its impossible to have sympathy for either side here. The only people who are really going to suffer are the grunt staff members of the teams/arenas making small salaries and the fans.

Fuck the greedy players and fuck the greedy owners.

Agreed.

Solo

I guess one positive that could arise from a season long lockout is the death of certain shit franchises. Are the "fans" of Phoenix or Columbus even going to come back?

An ELC alone is worth $2,700,000 at the bare minimum if you play out your games in the NHL.

That's 27 years worth of a $100,000 salary. Even with their short career length, an NHL regular makes more than enough to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, especially considering all the stuff they do on the job are expensed, namely the prohibitive medical costs each and every one of them accure.

I understand that they want to make more money, that's reasonable, we'd all like to make more money. But to suggest that their ability to make a good living is in jeopardy? Fuck off. A good living is $50,000 a year. Being in a job where making at least 10x that is the minimum, is beyond luxury.

An ELC alone is worth $2,700,000 at the bare minimum if you play out your games in the NHL.

That's 27 years worth of a $100,000 salary. Even with their short career length, an NHL regular makes more than enough to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, especially considering all the stuff they do on the job are expensed, namely the prohibitive medical costs each and every one of them accure.

I understand that they want to make more money, that's reasonable, we'd all like to make more money. But to suggest that their ability to make a good living is in jeopardy? Fuck off. A good living is $50,000 a year. Being in a job where making at least 10x that is the minimum, is beyond luxury.

Your avatar looks like Messier with a wig.

Merguson

Banned
So apparently today the NHLPA made a proposal and then the NHL made a counter-proposal.

I guess we'll see details later..

EDIT: No word yet how much progress was made with these proposals.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
NHLPA makes proposal

NHL says "oh hey how about this"

NHLPA says "give us more time"

Like wtf! Come prepared! Negotiate WITH them. Stop negotiating with entire proposals

ShaneB

One guy on twitter said his kids were watching the game and asked why the goalies weren't wearing pads. So true, it's crazy to watch now.

Yeah, everything looks much smaller. It's easy to see how much the players have changed when you see footage like that.

This "good living" comment has to be a joke right? Right?! you pointed it out clearly. Fuck off indeed.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sounds like Marvie's translations were spot on.

So like "accept this til saturday or we'll demand even more ridiculous things later"? Did anyone ever tell those people that you negotiate by getting your proposals to become MORE of a compromise, not LESS?

Fuck this shit. This is why I never got my hopes up about hockey and focused my hype for NHL13. Hard to believe but EA actually delivered before the real world alternative.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@RenLavoieRDS: Gary Bettman said that his offer today ask for a reduction of 9% of players salaries. NHL asked for 24% in July."

"@ian_mendes: Bettman wouldn't confirm percentage of player revenue -- only saying they would get more than 46%. Wouldn't say if it's 50-50 split."

"@michaelgrange: Bettman -- their proposal was not much different; we made a proposal that had significant movement #NHL #NHLPA"

"@ian_mendes: Bettman confirms NHL proposal was a 6-year deal, but says union would prefer a shorter CBA."

If there is a lockout this its on the players, at least the league have been coming back with meaningfull proposals while the players keep coming back to the table with the same stupid ass first proposal they had.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
The NBA put a "drop dead" offer out there in November of last year, too. The players didn't accept. Shockingly, it was still on the table like a week after.

It's all rhetoric. Believe nothing.

Good to see the owners move off their ridiculous first offer. Hopefully this pushes the players to meet them in the middle and we get some hockey this year.

Revenant

I don't even know what to think about any of this.

NHL and PA are so fucking dumb for not starting talks earlier.

unfortunately no traction would probably come from it. It's easy for both sides to stroke their egos in July...August... not so much come December.

DopeyFish

1.87 billion x 5 years with one locked out year = $9.35 billion BEST CASE SCENARIO
1.64 billion (50% HRR) x 6 years = $9.84 billion
1.57 billion (48% HRR) x 6 years = $9.45 billion

yeah

players are stupid (and this was with flat projections)

dem

This CBA bargaining is boring and no one fucking cares

I could see why we had a lockout last time... this time its just fucking annoying. Get the fuck on with it.

Revenant

NHLPA certified agent Scott Norton of Norton Sports Management told Forbes.com that there is a legitimate chance it could be a year-and-a-half from the date the CBA expires (September 15) before hockey resumes. "The NHLPA, agents, and players are much more unified than they were at the start of the last work stoppage [in 2004]," said Norton. "We are all impressed with [NHLPA executive director] Donald Fehr's abilities, persona, and the way he has involved players and agents in meetings, and feel very strongly that NHLPA will stick together this time…if it means a missing a month [of games] or 2 seasons."

:lol I mean I know the NHL is run by incompetent boobs... but they're not that incompetent. They'd all be out of jobs then, since noone would come back to watch that circus.

DopeyFish

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
My own read on today: this is not close from ending. Still far, far apart

NHLPA's new proposal willing to go to five years in term. Previously it was four

Ladies and gentlemen! This is what NHLPA calls bargaining

Just tacking a year onto their stupid proposal

Like holy shit

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
:lol I mean I know the NHL is run by incompetent boobs... but they're not that incompetent. They'd all be out of jobs then, since noone would come back to watch that circus.

Yeah, they better be careful. A lot has changed since the last lockout. 2 years would be suicide. One year will be bad enough.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

NHLPA's new proposal willing to go to five years in term. Previously it was four

Like holy shit

Everyone aboard the NHL GM Connected leagues before signups close!

dem

I think i'll just forget about the nhl...

NFL has started anyway. Won't miss hockey until after the superbowl.

DopeyFish

oh hey.. Fehr is bashing the salary cap in his press conference

uhhh.

oh and bashed the NHL for not having all owners present

fuck the NHLPA. Seriously. FUCK THE NHLPA.

dem

Its the 4th line guys who are going to break the union by chistmas.
No one in Europe is paying NHL salary for those guys.

I actually think a lockout is good for the Oilers. Get Nick Schultz in the AHL for a bit. Let Nugent Hopkins and Yak tear up the WJHC.

Like holy shit

Awaiting BruceWayneGretky coming to prove that the NHLPA is really the good guys.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I will save money not buying Gamecenter this year, I was looking forward to using it on the Xbox too. I will also have additional 160+ hours to SPEND WITH THE WIFE, play videogames, read, etc. Good times?

DopeyFish

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector

Fehr says players asking for 67% would be equivalent to today’s offer from owners. Good times, clearly union is thrilled.

uh

"HEY GUYS! TAKE 50% WITH OLD HRR!"

"that's like us asking 67%"

I HAVE NO LIMIT TO MY ANGER

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector

Fehr says players asking for 67% would be equivalent to today’s offer from owners. Good times, clearly union is thrilled.

uh

"HEY GUYS! TAKE 50% WITH OLD HRR!"

"that's like us asking 67%"

I HAVE NO LIMIT TO MY ANGER
I take back my comment. There this no equivalent to this level of stupid.

Top Bottom