• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Acid08

Banned
I wonder if this could give DW some time to swoop in on Nash. Jumbo needs a scoring winger but we really don't have anything to give up unless we can package Clowe and Braun or Demers. Don't think the BJ'S need more young D though.

Maybe it's Johnson and Nash for Schenn and JVR.... That could be cool I guess.... sorta.... not really.

At least I wouldn't hate Homer as much...

EDIT: It'll end up being Couturier :( :( :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Did anybody else see this story? I don't think I ever saw it reported:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/18753882/name-change-may-be-coming-for-coyotes

Get ready for YOUR Arizona Coyotes!
This is old news. There was a clause to change the name to Arizona Coyotes in all of the recent failed purchase attempts.

Still waiting for Goldwater news this morning.
None of the lawyers for Glendale or Goldwater are in court yet.

Also, still mind-boggling that Jamison has no financing and no money to do this deal. NHL is going to be up a creek if this thing drags on and he backs out later in the summer.
NHL has a deadline of next Friday to get the deal done.

The Blue Jackets have beat writers?
They're Ohio State students that are on academic probation. Watching and writing about the Blue Jackets is part of the punishment.

Curufinwe

lol Flyers, trade away Richards and Carter (for Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, and Couturier) then trade (JVR and ???) for Nash a year later

I took the liberty of adding some extra details to your post but what would be funny about that, exactly?

I don't particularly want Nash, especially if it stops the Flyers getting a stud defenseman, but at least his contract runs out in 2018 not 2022.

I took the liberty of adding some extra details to your post but what would be funny about that, exactly?

I think the Nash trade would be stupid, but the Carter and Richards trades worked out great. Homer just has to stop focusing on offense so much, Bryz showed he can play well when the D plays well in front of him, once the D started to break down Bryz fell apart. He just isnt the type of goalie that can stand on his head and steal a playoff game. Everything they do in the offseason should be about building up the defense.

Curufinwe

The Carter trade worked out great, but I'm sure the Flyers never would have traded Richards if they knew Pronger was going to get a career ending stick to the eye and only play 13 games as captain. They wanted to make Pronger captain and demoting Richards and keeping him was untenable.

I like Simmonds and Schenn, but having Giroux and Richards as the top two centers for the next decade could have been amazing. A poor man's Gretzky and Messier. And you would have had Couturier and Richards playing the PK together... sigh.

I don't particularly want Nash, especially if it stops the Flyers getting a stud defenseman, but at least his contract runs out in 2018 not 2022.

The problem with the trades you outlined (and yes this is probably rehash) is that they offer what even I'd agree is probably fair value in terms of talent, but carry significant increases in likely cap burdens over the course of Richards and Carter's careers. If Schenn develops properly not even I would argue we lost talent value there. Even then the problem is only negligible. The LARGEST problem is what the SHORT TERM cap gains were spent on (Bryz). The value in moving those guys was getting equal talent value that would let you postpone likely cap hits for that level of talent. First, blowing that $ over the LONG TERM was foolish. Second, blowing that $ on something that was far from guaranteed when there was foolish.

The Nash for JVR trade is likely going to be shit in long term value in terms of talent over time considering the age difference and a fucking catastrophe in cap management. Last year's moves were bad long term moves for the team. This one would likely be bad long term and short term.

Curufinwe

The Carter trade was not a bad move long term. Being on the hook for him at $5.27 million a year until 2022 would have been terrible.

The Carter trade was not a bad move long term. Being on the hook for him at $5.27 million a year until 2022 would have been terrible.

Ok but look at Carter's production (when healthy) vs. Couturier and Voracek. The two players are likely worth more over time in terms of talent, but they will also cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than 5.5 in cap hit in just a few years.

Curufinwe

Ok but look at Carter's production (when healthy) vs. Couturier and Voracek. The two players are likely worth more over time in terms of talent, but they will also cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than 5.5 in cap hit in just a few years.

In a few years it may be that Couturier is getting $5 million a year, but he will be worth that money, and for three years we get Couturier and Voracek for less than Carter (asuming Voracek signs a new contract at $4 million or less) and that is a huge win. Apart from one big year Carter is a 50-60 point guy, and Voracek got 49 in his first season with the Flyers.

Obviously, I agree that blowing the cap room saved by dumping Richards on a 9 year contract Bryz was an awful move.

In a few years it may be that Couturier is getting $5 million a year, but he will be worth that money, and for three years we get Couturier and Voracek for less than Carter (asuming Voracek signs a new contract at $4 million or less) and that is a huge win. Apart from one big year Carter is a 50-60 point guy, and Voracek got 49 in his first season with the Flyers.

Obviously, I agree that blowing the cap room saved by dumping Richards on a 9 year contract Bryz was an awful move.

The Bryz signing is awful in hindsight but if he had come here and been a true #1 goalie it would have been an okay signing. The Flyers had no other option, no way could they have made Bob #1 after Lavi benched him during the playoffs and they couldnt go back to Leighton either. They had to bring someone in and there just wasnt anyone else available.

The Bryz signing is awful in hindsight but if he had come here and been a true #1 goalie it would have been an okay signing. The Flyers had no other option, no way could they have made Bob #1 after Lavi benched him during the playoffs and they couldnt go back to Leighton either. They had to bring someone in and there just wasnt anyone else available.

Your assessment of Bob just seems off. He has the makings of a solid NHL starter, certainly not certain to be worse than cup winners Niemi and Howard.

Also, Bryz was not the ONLY option. Flyers didn't need to bet the farm on a goalie. Boosh was still around, Varly was on the market, Vokoun too. Flyers went for the "big" move and it was stupid. Even then.

This is the big point. The value of the trades themselves is certainly close to even, and I'm inclined to agree they were a net positive. Unfortunately you CAN'T separate them from the Bryz contract, which blew all the organizational gains right there.

Solo

The 32 players at Habs development camp. Bolded are the ones I think will make it and be NHL players within 2 years:

Forwards:

ARCHAMBAULT, Olivier
AVTSIN, Alexander
BERGER, Alain
BOURNIVAL, Michaël
CICHY, Michael
DESIMONE, Philip
DUMONT, Gabriel
GALLAGHER, Brendan
HOLLAND, Patrick

KRISTO, Danny
LEBLANC, Louis
LEFEBVRE, Philippe
MacMILLAN, Mark
NATTINEN, Joonas
PRIBYL, Daniel
QUAILER, Steven
SCHULTZ, Ian
WALSH, Dustin

D-men:

BEAULIEU, Nathan
DIDIER, Josiah
DIETZ, Darren
ELLIS, Morgan
PATERYN, Greg
STEJSKAL, Joe
SULLIVAN, Colin
TINORDI, Jarred

Goalies:

DELL, Aaron
DELMAS, Peter
MAXWELL, Brandon
MAYER, Robert
QUATTROCCHI, Joseph
REICHARD, Cody

I bolded AND underlined LeBlanc because from what I saw of him on the big team this season, he's ready, and will hopefully crack Montreal's day one roster.

Your assessment of Bob just seems off. He has the makings of a solid NHL starter, certainly not certain to be worse than cup winners Niemi and Howard.

Also, Bryz was not the ONLY option. Flyers didn't need to bet the farm on a goalie. Boosh was still around, Varly was on the market, Vokoun too. Flyers went for the "big" move and it was stupid. Even then.

Bob might become a good goalie at somepoint but a playoff team could not go into a season with him or Boosh as the goalies. I think the Flyers made a mistake having Bob as the backup since Lavi doesnt trust him and they were basically stuck with Bryz in the playoffs. Vokun was a stopgap move at best, even if the Flyers had gotten him they would have had to hope Bob paned out or be stuck in the same spot in another year or 2. I think it is great that after so many years of saying you dont need a great goalie they finally tried to address it, it was very unfortunate that they did it in a year without any great goalies available.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tinordi and Bealieu are question marks, really hard to predict how soon they'll play. They could take 1 year or they could take 3, especially Tinordi. Bournival could very well make the team this year with Leblanc and Eller.

Solo

Tinordi and Bealieu are question marks, really hard to predict how soon they'll play. They could take 1 year or they could take 3, especially Tinordi. Bournival could very well make the team this year with Leblanc and Eller.

TBH the prospect I'm most excited about is Holland. Thought it was a shitty part of the Cammy deal at first, but it turns out the kid is a stud. We essentially got Calgary's only prospect :lol

Cake Boss

Banned
Boston Re-signs Chris Kelly (3 Years $12 MillioReply Reply

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

and I like Chris Kelly.

Edit: not yet confirmed. This post is saved until it is confirmed.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@TSNBobMcKenzie: BOS agrees to terms with Chris Kelly on four-year, $12M deal and Gregory Campbell on three-year, $4.8M deal. AAVs of $3M and $1.6M."

Good signing for both parties. 3M for a defensive 15-20 goal guy is pretty good.

Fei

Sabres announce Rick Jeanneret will be announcing all Buffalo games next year. The previous B-team was made up of a play by play man who should be doing high school games and a color guy who compared Kassian to Gretzky and Hodgson to Trottier. Thank the fucking Lord.

OnPoint

Sabres announce Rick Jeanneret will be announcing all Buffalo games next year. The previous B-team was made up of a play by play man who should be doing high school games and a color guy who compared Kassian to Gretzky and Hodgson to Trottier. Thank the fucking Lord.

Now I feel like WE won the cup. Amazing news!

Cake Boss

Banned
Season is over.

Alright give me Bryan Allen and PA parenteau this offseason and the drafting of a Cody Ceci and Ill be a happy man this summer.

Quick

Banned
Sucks that hockey's off for 3 months (or more?), but having the draft and free agency coming up lessens the wait.

And LOL NHL Awards.

Red_Man

Sucks that hockey's off for 3 months (or more?), but having the draft and free agency coming up lessens the wait.

And LOL NHL Awards.
Don't know why you're laughing about the NHL awards when they'll have the amazing Canadian sensation Nickelback there to perform.......I can't actually remember the last NHL awards I watched, it's been quite a while.

I don't really mind the break now, with the cluster fuck of a season the Habs had plus the awful playoffs we just endured aside from the first round, I'm going to enjoy the extra free time I get no feeling obligated to watch shitty playoff hockey.

Carter and Richards win the cup, Flyers not so much

Red_Man

I'm actually really excited for the off season, what with Bergevin still doing all his retooling, the draft, and seeing how he handles the current roster. Actual hockey can wait though.

Heretic

And the ones that did will most likely be on the roster fulltime next year...

Sup Palmieri/Bonino!

----------------------

Eugh... as the OP of the Offseason thread... Do I have to make reference to the Queens winning a cup? Really?

As much as we hate it, we must abide by the unwritten rules :(

a small line will suffice though...

Also, Dean Blundell (morning show host on a Toronto rock radio station) tweeted that he heard that Burke was taking a leave of absence or got fired, anyone else hear that? I assume its total BS

Also just read that Colborne needs wrist surgery and Kadri has a grade-3 shoulder seperation :|

Quick

Banned
Also, Dean Blundell (morning show host on a Toronto rock radio station) tweeted that he heard that Burke was taking a leave of absence or got fired, anyone else hear that? I assume its total BS

Also just read that Colborne needs wrist surgery and Kadri has a grade-3 shoulder seperation :|

Bob McKenzie debunked the Burke rumours a week or so ago.

Doesn't make sense to do it so close to the draft, I think.

Red_Man

How long ago did you hear that? I think a week ago or so a prominent guy from thehockeynews with a few sources said he heard of that rumor but there was nothing to it.

As much as we hate it, we must abide by the unwritten rules :(

a small line will suffice though...

Fine then...

wXYNv.jpg

How long ago did you hear that? I think a week ago or so a prominent guy from thehockeynews with a few sources said he heard of that rumor but there was nothing to it.

It was a tweet tonight, it was very out of place amongst the Kings winning the cup tweets

Top Bottom