• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Socreges

Banned
Fuck yeah Nickelback!!!

I'm super keen for this offseason. The last two have been pretty quiet, and I don't expect that trend to continue.
There was a time when I wanted stuff to happen. Anything. Just make a trade because change has to be good. Then Hodgson/Kassian happened.

As much as we hate it, we must abide by the unwritten rules :(

a small line will suffice though...
Use this

i6lUtMQeaX5gk.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hmm weird, that rumor did come up a little while ago....would seem weird firing him around the draft, and you would think Dredger or Friedman would have mentioned it by now if it was a serious possibility

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Side note for those with teams with high picks and who are following the draft closely, I recommend ignoring TSN's draft rankings until Bob Mackenzie come's out with his. Until he does, they use Craig Button's and the guy is a fucking nut. He has Dumba and Reilly at 2 & 3, Murray at 13 and Grigorenko at 20. Apparently he's been partying with Carter and Richards lately....

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Side note for those with teams with high picks and who are following the draft closely, I recommend ignoring TSN's draft rankings until Bob Mackenzie come's out with his. Until he does, they use Craig Button's and the guy is a fucking nut. He has Dumba and Reilly at 2 & 3, Murray at 13 and Grigorenko at 20. Apparently he's been partying with Carter and Richards lately....

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
Yeah I saw this on Monday. My mind was full of fuck. Grigs at 20 due to KHL factor? 2 and 3 as D men? Did he just out and out ignore the rankings throughout the year? And the Leafs at 5 getting...whoever the hell that is???

Solo

The Devils' loss is the nail in the Parise-in-NJ coffin. He's so gone. Had NJ won, I think he might have re-signed. But now? Gone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't wait for Goldwater to get back in court. They're already preparing their filing.

That said, they openly admit that they don't have enough evidence from the city to outright say if the payments to Jamison are legal or not.

Marvie_3

Banned
Can't wait for Goldwater to get back in court. They're already preparing their filing.

That said, they openly admit that they don't have enough evidence from the city to outright say if the payments to Jamison are legal or not.
That's because the city hasn't even released all the documentation yet......which is part of the reason Goldwater went to court on Friday. According to Glendale, things like the Arena Budget and such aren't important and don't need to be released.

Given the numbers, there's no way its legal. Also, here's an article about the consultant that Glendale has been using for all these projections:

Glendale arena deal consultant named in fraud lawsuit
A financial consultant used by Glendale, Ariz., to justify the city’s $197 million plan to keep the Phoenix Coyotes is accused of helping to defraud investors in a separate deal by producing overly optimistic revenue projections for a hockey arena in Prescott Valley, Ariz., according to a federal lawsuit.

Thomas Hocking and his company, TL Hocking & Associates, produced inflated revenue projections to secure financing for the 5,000-seat arena in Prescott Valley, according to the lawsuit filed in 2009 by investors who bought the $35 million in government bonds that paid for the project. The suit was filed after the arena failed to produce enough revenue to repay the debt, leading the bonds to be downgraded to junk status.

Hocking would not answer questions about the lawsuit or his work for Glendale when contacted by the Goldwater Institute.

Hocking is a financial consultant whose revenue projections were cited by Glendale officials to show that parking fees at the city-owned Jobing.com arena would cover debt payments for $100 million in bonds. The new city debt would be used to help finance the purchase of the Coyotes hockey team by a private investor. Hocking estimated parking revenues collected by the city would produce enough money to repay the bonds, which are part of a $197 million incentive package the city is offering to keep the Coyotes from moving away from the Phoenix area. A separate analysis by a different firm predicts parking fees will fall far short of what is needed to finance the debt. Some Glendale City Council members said they were not told of the negative report before the deal was approved on a 5-2 vote in December 2010.

“The council saw nothing,” said Councilwoman Joyce Clark, who voted against the Coyotes deal. “We were verbally told about a parking study that staff said was preliminary and not complete. I suspect they were referring to the Hocking study because they said based upon the preliminary draft the parking revenues would meet the obligations. I’m upset. You can’t make sound decisions unless you have all of the information before you.”

The Glendale council can't make sound decisions anyway so that last quote got a good laugh out of me.

Marvie_3

Banned
I hope this all gets shot down soon and the league gets serious about moving the team. I feel bad for anyone whose taxes goes to supporting this stupidity.
The tax increase is going to a referendum this fall which guarantees it will fail. With the rumors of Jamison being well short of buying the team and this legal mess thats about to take place, I don't think this deal goes through.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's because the city hasn't even released all the documentation yet......which is part of the reason Goldwater went to court on Friday. According to Glendale, things like the Arena Budget and such aren't important and don't need to be released.

Given the numbers, there's no way its legal. Also, here's an article about the consultant that Glendale has been using for all these projections:

I know--they haven't even been given enough information about the entire deal to say that it's legal yet. That's what is so ludicrous about the entire thing. It's clear they're trying to hide information, otherwise it would have been presented already.

Plinko

The tax increase is going to a referendum this fall which guarantees it will fail. With the rumors of Jamison being well short of buying the team and this legal mess thats about to take place, I don't think this deal goes through.

Isn't "this fall" way too late, though? You said the NHL has a deadline of next Friday, so how would the tax increase referendum play any role in this?

Marvie_3

Banned
I know--they haven't even been given enough information about the entire deal to say that it's legal yet. That's what is so ludicrous about the entire thing. It's clear they're trying to hide information, otherwise it would have been presented already.
Exactly.

Isn't "this fall" way too late, though? You said the NHL has a deadline of next Friday, so how would the tax increase referendum play any role in this?
It doesn't have any effect on the deal, only on Glendale's ability to pay for it going forward. Glendale wanted to raise taxes to pay for this deal. If by some miracle of stupidity this deal does somehow happen, it's going to be harder to pay for it and Glendale is going to end up cutting more services, policemen, and firemen, much like they did to pay for the Coyotes AMF this year.

There was a time when I wanted stuff to happen. Anything. Just make a trade because change has to be good. Then Hodgson/Kassian happened.

Strewth (lol).

Yeah. Wasn't exactly keen for trades during this season since most of them focused on Getzlaf and Bobby. Thankfully that was all just fire-lighting.

Plinko

I can't believe the hubris of the city council. Joyce Clark said, "Bring it on, baby!" in response to Goldwater's threats of legal action.

Seriously? "Bring it on, baby?" Have some dignity. What a total mess of a situation for all involved.

Marvie_3

Banned
I can't believe the hubris of the city council. Joyce Clark said, "Bring it on, baby!" in response to Goldwater's threats of legal action.

Seriously? "Bring it on, baby?" Have some dignity. What a total mess of a situation for all involved.

Clark has been talking shit to Canadians on her twitter for awhile.

(5/23) I will be so pleased when Coyotes issue is settled. Then all of these Canadian poachers can move on to another team and another city.

(6/8) Thanks to everyone for your good wishes and support. Coyotes fans are a class act. Do you think it's ok if I say to Canadians, "Bye-Bye!"

She hasn't responded to what I said to her after the 2nd one. :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

This is the same girl freaking out that she didn't see papers for parking. She's the same person who said strip malls help hospitals and that she worried for Glendale after seeing a McDonalds close in Hartford after the whalers left.

Cagey

Banned
Good news, Brodeur will be a year older, you guys have 13 potential FA's including Parise who will sign somewhere else, and Kovalchuk and Elias count about $13m against the cap next year. :)

You forgot surrendering a first round pick to the NHL because fuck Bettman.

Not surprising. Politically, Arizona is insane. It's not a left-right thing... they're insane by anyone's standards.

DopeyFish

City council members say stupid shit all the time, you should see the kinds of people on city council in Toronto lol

Dude

I think people like rob/doug ford, nunziata and mammolitti and are incredibly stupid... They look brilliant compared to Glendale

In glendales credit, I will admit they can at least find mystery investors for something no one wants

Marvie_3

Banned
Dude

I think people like rob/doug ford, nunziata and mammolitti and are incredibly stupid... They look brilliant compared to Glendale

In glendales credit, I will admit they can at least find mystery investors for something no one wants

If that were the case, the Coyotes would have an owner. Bettman is the one that wrangles these potential owners anyway.

Plinko

If that were the case, the Coyotes would have an owner. Bettman is the one that wrangles these potential owners anyway.

I can't remember a case of transfer of ownership where we didn't hear who the other investors were this close to the deal being signed.

I'm starting to think they don't exist. Why? Because people actually like to MAKE money with their investments.

DopeyFish

I mean

There is no success lol but it's better than "who is going to invest in subways where surface trains will be running?" "private sector, you know, I've got some calls"

At least I get to point and laugh at a guy with $20 million tops trying to buy teams more suitable for billionaires

Here no one gives me the courtesy :(

Marvie_3

Banned
I can't remember a case of transfer of ownership where we didn't hear who the other investors were this close to the deal being signed.

I'm starting to think they don't exist. Why? Because people actually like to MAKE money with their investments.
I'm sure he's found a few suckers but I can't imagine any of them being any more solid than the clowns they had before (Ice Edge, Hulsizer, etc).

Marvie_3

Banned
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/NHL-Off-Season-Underway

There’s still work to be done by Greg Jamison who is looking to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes. The city recently approved a taxpayer-funded deal to keep the team playing in Glendale for the next 20 years. Sources say Jamison still needs to show he has the money and is likely facing a late June deadline. Word is he’ll probably need $85 Million in cash plus another $20 mill in working capital. The overall total will likely be close to $170 million with the rest being borrowed. My sources say he might have to borrow the rest of the money from the NHL as he could have trouble finding a bank to loan the cash.
:lol if true

Isn't Weber a lot better than Suter, though?
I wouldn't say a lot better. Suter is still a legitimate #1 on a lot of teams in this league. Plus, Weber has a habit of making defencemen around him look comparatively meh. He did it to Hamhuis, and he's been doing it to Suter all his career.

Top Bottom