• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cake Boss

Banned
"@SensChirp: Interesting to hear that the #Sens had goalie Malcolm Subban in for a visit today. Heard #Sens were very high on him earlier this year."

"@SubbZero30: Great time in Ottawa. Good ice sesh and lunch with the staff. Also great to see @mpuempel putting work in the gym. #mindstate"

Interesting tweet. Hopefully lehner doesnt get traded if we're drafting Subban. Would rather Bishop go.

Curufinwe

I don't think there are many teams who wouldn't pay that for Suter.

If $7 million is the going rate I guess the main question now is who is going to offer the longest deal. I'm sure Suter is looking for 10+ years.

Ian Laperriere has officially retired.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...re-really-really-to?blockID=723562&feedID=695

“You see me at the rink and everything’s good, I have a smile on my face, but trust me, it’s been a really, really tough past two years,” said the 38-year-old forward.

“I’m an actor, you guys know that. I can put on an actor face.”

With his contract now fully expired, taking him off the Flyers’ salary cap, Laperriere has retired and made it “official,” though the story was out there all along.

“It was my shortest time here compared to other teams I played for and that is probably one of my regrets – not having a longer chance to play,” he said of his three years here – only one was spent on the ice.

“I’m just glad I had the chance to wear the orange and black. Pretty much, it’s something that I would have missed just to play for a team that cares so much about their fans and their players so much.”

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If $7 million is the going rate I guess the main question now is who is going to offer the longest deal. I'm sure Suter is looking for 10+ years.

Again, I'll bet Detroit gives him that deal. They're desperate for a defenseman of his caliber with Stuart and Lidstrom gone.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Would be hilarious/awesome if Subban slipped to the second round and Montreal drafted him.
Highly highly doubt that happens, he won't slip that far, and even if he did goalies are a waste of early picks, when you can get guys like Houser, Vasilevsk and Makarov in later rounds. Lots of good 2nd rounder forwards this year.

Solo

Sooner or later though the Habs are going to have to address the very sad reality that they have literally no one in line to replace Price when he retires. That's a good 10 years away, but still, they need to get a real future goalie in the pipeline at some time.

Red_Man

For sure, but using early picks on goalies is a waste the majority of the time. You can find great goalies rather late in the draft.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Suter can get 7 in Nashville (They want to lock up Weber/Suter/Rinne at 7 each basically) It's gonna be more if he's leaving.

Sooner or later though the Habs are going to have to address the very sad reality that they have literally no one in line to replace Price when he retires. That's a good 10 years away, but still, they need to get a real future goalie in the pipeline at some time.

Nah, just roll with it. Trust me.

fallout

Mike Richards has now won:

1. Memorial Cup
  2. Calder Cup
  3. Stanley Cup
  4. World Junior Gold
  5. Olympic Gold
I guess all that's left is a World Championship win.

Cagey

Banned
Brodeur on the team’s future:

“Seeing young players like Adam Henrique, David Clarkson and Zach, a lot of different guys out there, Lars (Adam Larsson) is going to come to be an unbelievable defenseman and Jake (Jacob Josefson) is going to do well also. There’s a lot of not just young players, but middle-tier players and I think we found ourselves depth too through trades that, hopefully, we’ll be able to keep. Every year, it’s hard to keep teams together. Hopefully, we’ll be able to make the necessary moves to keep these guys and, hopefully, I’ll be a part of it.”

ONE MORE YEAR. ONE MORE YEAR.
DISCOUNT! DISCOUNT!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You had your chance to get Brian Campbell when I offered him to Detroit two offseasons ago. Now you're screwed.

LOL. I still haven't forgotten your wholehearted attempt to get rid of Campbell.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
i think its a lot more interesting scenario if the wings dont land suter. they've gotta do something.

Red_Man

50 year old Marty would still outplay whoever the Flyers had in net.
inyX64Kup29N2.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
NHL 13 preorder bonuses:

gamestop-black-button.jpg

Pre-order* NHL ® 13 and receive 1 Gold pack of Hockey Ultimate Team for (16) sixteen weeks (September – December 2012).

retailers_best_buy_logo.png

Pre-order* NHL® 13 and receive the official Reebok 20K Boost pack that gives your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey League character that extra edge.

AmazonLogo.jpeg

Pre-order* NHL® 13 and receive the official BAUER Boost pack that enhances your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey league character.

retailers_origin_logo.png

Pre-order* NHL® 13 at Origin and receive the official Goalie boost to give your goalie that added boost to your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey League character.

Montresor

Be A Pro and HUT incentives. Pass.

Be A Pro is fine but HUT is like a sideshow run by Zynga. The in-game currency in HUT (pucks) is necessary and rare, but purchasable with real money... I hate that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Be A Pro and HUT incentives. Pass.

Be A Pro is fine but HUT is like a sideshow run by Zynga. The in-game currency in HUT (pucks) is necessary and rare, but purchasable with real money... I hate that.

I always enjoyed the EA NHL Superstars game on facebook -blushes-... Sorry, but it was great and you got coins fast enough to buy cardpacks that it was fun collecting :D Is it anything like that? I haven't touched HUT in 11... and don't own 12.

Cagey

Banned
Devils aren't forfeiting their pick this year? :lol what idiots

Couldn't stop shaking my head at the news. All I can possibly think up is Lou thinks this is a quality draft in that 20-40 range, so even with the pick being low, he thinks it's got higher value compared to other years. What else could it be, beyond 1) losing track of time while waterboarding Steve Bernier or 2) wanting to trade the pick?

Because they'll win the president's trophy and the cup next year, duh.

This man is smart.

Red_Man

Not only will NJD not get this far next year, this years draft is one of the weakest and most unpredictable in years. The only thing I can think of us if devils are really high on a certaun late round player. That or they've gone full retard.

Alucard

Banned
I wonder how the Pens are going to try to solve their defensive issue. Somebody has to cover for P-Mart. Sadly, I think Shero's hands are tied with Martin's contract. We can only hope that he regains the steady form he had two years ago. I'm expecting more icetime for Simon Despres next season, too. On paper, I actually really like the Pens' D. Just a matter of playing smart...Orpik said that he felt a change in philosophy when Crosby came back, and more of an emphasis on offense instead of defense. Of course, a capable keeper would go a long way to covering up some of those problems.

Cactus

Banned
I definitely wasn't expecting NJD to keep the pick. Even if there was a player who they really want to draft, I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult to acquire a late first.

Cake Boss

Banned
I wonder how the Pens are going to try to solve their defensive issue. Somebody has to cover for P-Mart. Sadly, I think Shero's hands are tied with Martin's contract. We can only hope that he regains the steady form he had two years ago. I'm expecting more icetime for Simon Despres next season, too. On paper, I actually really like the Pens' D. Just a matter of playing smart...Orpik said that he felt a change in philosophy when Crosby came back, and more of an emphasis on offense instead of defense. Of course, a capable keeper would go a long way to covering up some of those problems.

Dump Martin's contract on the Habs like everyone else is doing, its the hip new thing in the NHL. Add Martin to Kaberle and Gomez.

Only just noticed, but Blake and Hagman won't be returning.

Strange, I thought Blake was at least a locker room guy. Guess now he's another free agent. Glad we've got more cap space now though and more importantly, more spots for the young guys to fill up. Can't remember the last time we filled a second line with just new talent and won a cup...

Couldn't stop shaking my head at the news. All I can possibly think up is Lou thinks this is a quality draft in that 20-40 range, so even with the pick being low, he thinks it's got higher value compared to other years. What else could it be, beyond 1) losing track of time while waterboarding Steve Bernier or 2) wanting to trade the pick?

This man is smart.

My bet is Lou knows he's retiring and doesn't give a shit what he leaves the next guy to deal with OR the ownership is trying one last ditch effort to get someone marketable before dumping their problems on someone else.

Red_Man

My bet is Lou knows he's retiring and doesn't give a shit what he leaves the next guy to deal with OR the ownership is trying one last ditch effort to get someone marketable before dumping their problems on someone else.
He does look like an evil super villain from a tv show or something

Heretic

Only just noticed, but Blake and Hagman won't be returning.

Strange, I thought Blake was at least a locker room guy. Guess now he's another free agent. Glad we've got more cap space now though and more importantly, more spots for the young guys to fill up. Can't remember the last time we filled a second line with just new talent and won a cup...

Posted this a couple of pages back. I really liked Hagman. Parros might not be back either. They talked about this at the Select A Seat event that I went to. Took a couple of pictures of Bruce haha

Top Bottom