• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Educate me on why it's bad that the Devils are taking their pick please!

If serious: Because they have a really late pick this year, and chances are next year's pick will be a lot lower (because, let's face it, they're the Devils), so they'll most likely lose a lower draft pick next year. Also, as pointed out, this year's draft isn't thaaat good anyway.

EDIT: Beaten.

Heretic

Extremely low pick, shitty draft class. In future years they will likely have a higher pick and a better talent pool.

So it's better just to pass instead of taking a chance on someone?
If serious: Because they have a really late pick this year, and chances are next year's pick will be a lot lower (because, let's face it, they're the Devils), so they'll most likely lose a lower draft pick next year. Also, as pointed out, this year's draft isn't thaaat good anyway.

EDIT: Beaten.

Fuuuuuuu. I'm totally lost on this... So if they pick this year they can't pick next year?

Smiley90

Well they can either discard this year's pick, which is late, or one of the next year's (I don't recall exactly which years were part of the penalty), and... yeah. I wonder why they wouldn't discard this year's, there's just no reason, unless they THINK they'll do even better next year than this year... yeaaaaah.

Heretic

Well they can either discard this year's pick, which is late, or one of the next year's (I don't recall exactly which years were part of the penalty), and... yeah. I wonder why they wouldn't discard this year's, there's just no reason, unless they THINK they'll do even better next year than this year... yeaaaaah.

Can they trade the pick for a later pick next year and give that up?

Smiley90

Can they trade the pick for a later pick next year and give that up?

EDIT: The penalty explicitly states "a first round pick between now and 2014", so I'm pretty sure they can't trade their way out of this and down to a later round. If they wait until 2014 I'm pretty sure they'd be prohibited of trading their first round pick, since they'd HAVE to declare that one and then wouldn't "have" a first round pick to trade at all... if that makes sense. The one they give up becomes inexistant and impossible to trade. If they trade away their first round pick first, then they don't have anything to give up and will have to wait until the next year to give one up.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The only logical reasoning is their scouts feel very confident about a player in that area.

Posted this a couple of pages back. I really liked Hagman. Parros might not be back either. They talked about this at the Select A Seat event that I went to. Took a couple of pictures of Bruce haha

Sorry, completely missed it! Haven't had much time for forums with work and post moving-in with GF. I liked Hagman too. Really shocked that he isn't at least coming back as a 3rd liner. Parros is a fan favourite, and I love the guy, but he really didn't add much to the roster outside of a brawler. The age of the enforcer is fading.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The age of the enforcer is fading.
Don't tell Georges Laraque that!

In Habs news, Sylvain Lefebrve has been named the new HC of the Bulldogs. Another great hire from Bergevein, and he's showing he's looking to the future already if / when Therrien is shown the door, plus our influx of new D prospects into Hamilton next year, good stuff.

Heretic

Sorry, completely missed it! Haven't had much time for forums with work and post moving-in with GF. I liked Hagman too. Really shocked that he isn't at least coming back as a 3rd liner. Parros is a fan favourite, and I love the guy, but he really didn't add much to the roster outside of a brawler. The age of the enforcer is fading.

Congrats on moving in with the lady! We'll be having little jerks around here in no time! Ducks-Age is about to get bigger!

Yeah, it's been great...

fighting.png

(c/o bish)

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, it's been great...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/living_significant_other/fighting.png[img]

(c/o [url=https://twitter.com/VancouverTim/status/212570167866179584]bish[/url])[/QUOTE]This is amazing.

And congrats. Right?

Anecdote related to the pic:

Fought with the lady a couple hours ago. Her family (including her) has kind of unknowingly become involved in a pyramid scheme (1 distributor, 3 consumers [for now]) and when I politely suggest this to her, she gets defensive and then quiet. When I try to leave, she asks me to apologize for ruining the first day of her using the product.

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf78cbQkM21qaa34so1_500.jpg

She later admitted to being ridiculous. But it looks like it's a lost cause anyway. In too deep.

Then Luongo let one in through the five-hole.

[edit] Slightly new tag!

Solo

Extremely low pick, shitty draft class.

Hyperbole much? I love how the 2012 draft class went from "best evar!" 6 months ago to "shitty" now. Of course, now it's 2013 that is the "best evar!" class. Until it too becomes "shitty". It's not the deepest of drafts, but anyone with a Top 10-15 pick is going to get something very good.

Hyperbole much? I love how the 2012 draft class went from "best evar!" 6 months ago to "shitty" now. Of course, now it's 2013 that is the "best evar!" class. Until it too becomes "shitty". It's not the deepest of drafts, but anyone with a Top 10-15 pick is going to get something very good.

O I don't know. I'm just going on what I'm told. I really only care how deep it is at D, and I've been told this year was shallow all along.

Cagey

Banned
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...remain_a_devil_no_way_hell_sign_with_rangers/

Devils captain Zach Parise repeated today his desire to re-sign with the team and said even if he does hit the unrestricted free agent market on July 1 there is “no way” he’d sign with the rival Rangers.

“I like the people here,” he said of his remaining a Devil.“I like the staff, my teammates. I like the area. There’s a lot of good things about this place.”

Parise was asked twice about the idea of signing with the Rangers and shot it down both times.

“Don’t try to get a headline out of it,” he warned.

Good man.

Socreges

Banned
Luongo definitely has a non-serious side. It's just that his role/reputation prevents him from showing it. Just look at where his "pumping tires" comment got him. Or his "at least I didn't let in 7" after being eliminated by the Hawks again.
This is true.

But that twitter account is ridiculous. Is that confirmed to be him? Seriously?

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Only 1 person can answer that ?------> @samjam99 “@Slewfootjeff: My leafs #1 jersey is on order. Good idea? Or will it go in my closet?"

Amazing, if that's him.

(samjam99 is the guy that wrote the "Luongo to Leafs is a done deal" article)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398303

The conservative watchdog group Goldwater Institute has filed a lawsuit seeking to invalidate the Glendale City Council's vote to approve a lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena with a potential buyer of the Phoenix Coyotes.

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in Maricopa County Superior Court on behalf of Glendale taxpayers Ken Jones and Joe Cobb, claiming last week's vote violated a 2009 court order requiring Glendale to provide all documents in negotiations between the city and a prospective owner to Goldwater in a timely manner.

And it begins (again)

Smiley90

I love that they're holding off on a gift clause suit. If for some reason Goldwater loses this one and the deal gets finalized, they can turn right around and sue over the gift clause.

This is a perfect excuse for the NHL to bail on Phoenix though.......

And this is bad why?

I love that they're holding off on a gift clause suit. If for some reason Goldwater loses this one and the deal gets finalized, they can turn right around and sue over the gift clause.

This is a perfect excuse for the NHL to bail on Phoenix though.......

What are the chances they lose ? The judge denied their request to stop the vote but outright said they are breaking the law.

As for excuses I assume you mean that if (when) the Coyotes pack up and leave Bettman can say they tried and tried to keep the team in Glendale but they got shot down in court (so no one can blame the NHL for not trying) ?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What are the chances they lose ? The judge denied their request to stop the vote but outright said they are breaking the law.

As for excuses I assume you mean that if (when) the Coyotes pack up and leave Bettman can say they tried and tried to keep the team in Glendale but they got shot down in court (so no one can blame the NHL for not trying) ?

They won't lose this one likely

Glendale could just turn around, post the material (which will likely prove it fails under gift clause) and then vote yes again

Then GWI will sue because it's violating gift clause

Cactus

Banned
Is the NHL's deadline to keep the team in Glendale actually this Friday?

If so, it really feels like this might finally be the end of the Phoenix Coyotes.

Marvie_3

Banned

They won't lose this one and there's only a slim chance they lose a potential gift clause suit. Glendale not seeking bids for arena management, pushing votes through in "emergency" sessions, hiding documents, and using fraudulent numbers are pretty big red flags that something is up. Most estimates I've seen would see Glendale getting well under $100M(rent, ticket surcharges) in revenue for the life of the deal at the same time they're giving away $400M+. I don't see how any judge looks at this deal and doesn't see it as a disproportionate subsidy.

They won't lose this one likely

Glendale could just turn around, post the material (which will likely prove it fails under gift clause) and then vote yes again

Then GWI will sue because it's violating gift clause
Bingo. One of the documents they hid last week was the arena expense budget which shows how much it actually costs to keep the arena running. I can't imagine why they would have hid that.........

Is the NHL's deadline to keep the team in Glendale actually this Friday?

If so, it really feels like this might finally be the end of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Supposedly it's next Friday but with the legal mess going, it wouldn't surprise me to see it sooner.

Marvie_3

Banned
Saw this posted on HFboards. Explains the "emergency" session:

Ordinarily, measures are not effective or operative for 30 days. Glendale City Charter
Art. VII, § 6. They may be referred to the voters if sufficient signatures are collected within 30
days
. Glendale City Charter Art. X, § 1 & A.R.S. § 19-142(A).
18. However, measures that are passed by emergency take effect immediately, and they may
not be referred to the ballot
. Glendale City Charter Art. VII, § 7. See also Glendale City
Charter Art. X, § 1; A.R.S. § 19-141(d); Ariz. Const. Art. IV, pt. 1, § 1(a).

uswidt ;)

This is amazing.

And congrats. Right?

Anecdote related to the pic:

Yikes! Pyramid schemes are worse enough as is without having people you know get actively involved in them. Seems like she's on your page though and is finding it tough to swallow.

And yeah, we have arguments over stupid shit all the time, but it all stems from me downplaying things she thinks are "big problems" when they really aren't from my perspective because I'm from Mars and she's from Venus or whatever (omg my nails are broken and I can't get an appointment til next week). But I've found as long as I fake sympathise with what she feels is a big issue then it avoids confrontation. The good times and Pros massively outdo the bad/Cons though, so I'll take that "congratulations" and cheers it with my pint glass.

Top Bottom