• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April |OT| The End

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Sharks and Kings will split their series. In a way, that Dallas game tomorrow is going to be the biggest indicator of where the Sharks place. I really can't see them missing the playoffs, but I also can't see Dallas falling out at the last second again. The best thing would be for Phoenix to choke, but they have the easiest schedule of the group. This race is so damn nerve racking, I just want it to be over so I can relax for a bit.

As for the Kings, while it would be nice to finally have a new banner since the early 90's, I just want them to make the post season.

Clydefrog

That stingy defense too. Provides boring hockey but it gets the job done... fuck the queens

You didn't watch the game tonight, I know. But you should have. Take a look at the shots for each team:

EDM 19 37 LAK

You should have seen the Kings battering the Oilers goalie, Dubnyk. Granted, the Oilers played a hell of a game (Ryan Smyth, you motherfu..)

You can call the Kings' style whatever you want, but it was god damn entertaining tonight at Staples Center. Richards missed a couple of easy goals. He really needs to get back intro stride... from 2011. Kopitar has gotten back into rhythm when he needed to. I'm expecting him and the rest of the top line to continue to put up points.

I can only hope that the Kings make the playoffs at this point. If there was any team I would not want to play home-and-home for the last 2 games of the season, it'd be San Jose. I hate our chances against them. I am expecting 2 OT points from the 2 games. I think San Jose will win the division. Kings 95 points. Sharks 96 points.

Quick will not win the Vezina.

Cake Boss

Banned
Sens will have Silfverberg over for the playoffs. Expect to see the talented Swede on a line with Spezza and Michalek. Along with 1st PP. -- Shawn Simpson (@SSimpsonHockey)

Jizz. Flying jizz everywhere.

NY Islanders doing everything they can to erase Pat LaFontaine from their history after a spat with the owner years ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304023504577319912036433148.html

Kind of sad.

Wow. I can understand an owner like Wang holding a grudge, I guess. It makes sense from the mind of the guy who wanted things like Yashin, DiPietro for life, a Garth Snow future, etc. But Millbury even calls Pat a coward, which just seems unbelievable.

I didn't think the Islanders could be a more dysfunctional organization, but they found a way. Truly the Clippers of the NHL.

Marvie_3

Banned
Pat LaFontaine? Who's that?

i3UpWhezR4O3B.gif

Fei

Wow. I can understand an owner like Wang holding a grudge, I guess. It makes sense from the mind of the guy who wanted things like Yashin, DiPietro for life, a Garth Snow future, etc. But Millbury even calls Pat a coward, which just seems unbelievable.

Even Milbury? The guy is the biggest joke affiliated with the league right now.

LaFontaine is very active in the community here in Buffalo, and one of the classiest guys you'll ever meet. Trying to erase him from your franchise's history is the last thing anyone should want. Just another sad moment for the Islanders organization.

Even Milbury? The guy is the biggest joke affiliated with the league right now.

Well I knew he was a joke, just not so far as to continue toting the Charles Wang party line even after leaving the Islanders. His draft record is lolworthy though.

wikipedia said:
He has traded away defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe; goaltenders Roberto Luongo and Tommy Salo, as well as forwards Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Tim Connolly, and Raffi Torres. Milbury has also come under fire for his draft day decisions such as choosing Rick DiPietro first overall in 2000 over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik; as well as his decision to include the 2001 second overall draft pick (Jason Spezza) as part of the Alexei Yashin trade.

8 hrs. 8 hrs untill the Panthers can put this playoff drought behind them. I've benn trying put my ear to the ground to see how Florida is picking up the Panther's season (I live in Atlanta currently) and the last few weeks has been picking up slowly but surely. More written outlets are covering the Cats and even the sports radio pundits are picking the topic with more frequency. Even now it is a very busy time in Fla sports (Marlins, Canes, Heat) all hitting the airwaves. Its exciting to the Cats back. Hell I remember that packed Miami Arena when Bill Lindsay scores that amazing diving goal on the Bruins. So close to ending that drought.

t0mp

@pens gaf: Will Vitale from the penguins answer the bell on the last game of the season against the flyers?

OnPoint

We got this. Toronto wants no part of winning 2 in a row, right? Right? :(

That's what the rest of the season would have us believe, but after the last performance, I'm not so confident

Connolly with the Ovechtrick tonight

That's what the rest of the season would have us believe, but after the last performance, I'm not so confident

Connolly with the Ovechtrick tonight

I hope the leafs don't win. What the fuck do we have to gain by winning? Nothing. I swear, I rather see Buffalo in the playoffs than leafs winning this game. Our team is garbage, might as well tank and go for a good pick.

So I'm really cheering on you guys and hoping to hell leafs lose.

Montresor

If Buffalo doesn't win tonight they don't deserve to make the playoffs anyways.

Agreed whole-heartedly.

I would be okay with a loss tonight, but in the end, if we don't end up 2nd overall and draft Grigorenko, then who cares? The Leafs need a centre who can step in right away and provide an immediate impact in the NHL. An elite blue-chip prospect will be a nice consolation prize but it won't do much good if that prospect is 2 or 3 years away from playing in the NHL.

On the flip side, what if we win because Colborne has an outstanding game and notches three assists to Kessel? Ditto if it were Kadri instead of Colborne up here. What if Kadri completely dominated the game? Would it really be so counter-productive to have our top prospects showing us that they can play well?

I agree, it would be laughable if Lombardi, Connolly, or Armstrong scored a couple of goals and won the game for us. They're junk players who crumble under pressure and seem to love playing "half decent" when there's nothing on the line.

OnPoint

I hope the leafs don't win. What the fuck do we have to gain by winning? Nothing. I swear, I rather see Buffalo in the playoffs than leafs winning this game. Our team is garbage, might as well tank and go for a good pick.

So I'm really cheering on you guys and hoping to hell leafs lose.

I always liked you Fortunate. You just keep making it better.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Agreed whole-heartedly.

I would be okay with a loss tonight, but in the end, if we don't end up 2nd overall and draft Grigorenko, then who cares? The Leafs need a centre who can step in right away and provide an immediate impact in the NHL. An elite blue-chip prospect will be a nice consolation prize but it won't do much good if that prospect is 2 or 3 years away from playing in the NHL.

On the flip side, what if we win because Colborne has an outstanding game and notches three assists to Kessel? Ditto if it were Kadri instead of Colborne up here. What if Kadri completely dominated the game? Would it really be so counter-productive to have our top prospects showing us that they can play well?

I agree, it would be laughable if Lombardi, Connolly, or Armstrong scored a couple of goals and won the game for us. They're junk players who crumble under pressure and seem to love playing "half decent" when there's nothing on the line.

Just sit down and watch it, remove all that un-needed stress. Get some lotion and sit back and just focus on Colborne the whole night long.

Futureman

@pens gaf: Will Vitale from the penguins answer the bell on the last game of the season against the flyers?

for a clean hit on Briere? I hate that he got hurt, but I don't see why there's such an uproar over this. They are heated rivals and things got sticky at the end of the game. Big deal, move on.

Fei

If Buffalo doesn't win tonight they don't deserve to make the playoffs anyways.

Yep.

I have a hard time jumping on the Sabres for playing one really lousy game in the past two months. I'm expecting a big push at the start tonight.

brian

for a clean hit on Briere? I hate that he got hurt, but I don't see why there's such an uproar over this. They are heated rivals and things got sticky at the end of the game. Big deal, move on.

Flyers fan here. I don't think anyone is calling for a suspension or anything like that, but if you hit a star player like that, you better be ready to answer for it next game. I think the hit was fair and good, but the Flyers SHOULD be pissed off about it and ready to throw down.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Flyers fan here. I don't think anyone is calling for a suspension or anything like that, but if you hit a star player like that, you better be ready to answer for it next game. I think the hit was fair and good, but the Flyers SHOULD be pissed off about it and ready to throw down.

Throwing down over clean hits lol? That needs to end. It's embarrassing to the league.

brian

Throwing down over clean hits lol? That needs to end. It's embarrassing to the league.

To quote Mad Mike Milbury, maybe you should take off your skirt. I know the whole enforcer thing isn't what it used to be, but this is a sport where if someone brings harm to your teammate, you go after them and make them answer for it. It doesn't matter if it was a legal hit.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Quoting Milbury makes you lose any credit you had. "Make them answer" by doing something legal back instead of having a pointless fight off a LEGAL hit. I don't know why meatheads don't understand why fighting over legal hits is idiotic. I don't want any tragedies this year.

Learn to keep your head up? Isn't that the first thing you're taught when playing hockey?

th3dude

Wouldn't the ultimate payback be a win in the first round? Just play hockey. Physical, but legal, hockey. Don't headhunt because of a legal hit.

brian

Quoting Milbury makes you lose any credit you had. "Make them answer" by doing something legal back instead of having a pointless fight off a LEGAL hit. I don't know why meatheads don't understand why fighting over legal hits is idiotic. I don't want any tragedies this year.

Learn to keep your head up? Isn't that the first thing you're taught when playing hockey?

The Milbury quote was a joke. But seriously, do you even watch hockey? Fights happen all the time, sometimes for no reason at all except because a losing team wants to get their home crowd back into it. It's just part of the culture of hockey, and there is absolutely nothing crazy about going after a guy for trying to injure your teammate. You obviously don't like that, but you should know that it is still a part of the game whether you like it or not.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Millbury and Cherry should be on panels together.........with an audience full of actual NHL players

I'd pay to see this. It'd be glorious. Just make sure to have exactly ONE ontario-born player there, to see Cherry go down on him.

Fights usually happen even if it's a "clean hit". If you run another team's star player or goalie, someone will be coming after you (unless you're Buffalo).

This just sounds stupid. Of course the first thing you learn when you play is keep your head up. But the bottom line is when a teammate gets hurt you want to repay the other team equally. So what if you send out a guy like Rinaldo to make another clean hit on a guy like Crosby? That's how it should go. It doesn't have to be a fight. The point is you let the other team know you're not gonna let them play that way against you without feeling it themselves. It actually keeps physicality in check. Everyone I've ever played with knows that if they hit a skilled player that they should expect to get laid out at least once or that the skilled players on their team are more likely to take a big hit.

What ends up happening is then emotions build from the physical play and fights breakout. It's perfectly fine. Saying it's "embarrassing" to the sport is stupid because there aren't any real good comparisons to make. Most other sports don't give players the amount of discretion to hit as many other players as hard as they do in hockey. Even in football you typically know exactly which guys are going to hit which guys. Hockey leaves open way more legal area in the hits and the point of "payback" fights and hits is to police the fringe. Keep the players honest, since they know if they want to get away with something that may be legal they're going to be faced with repercussions themselves.

Heretic

I watched some of it. Everybody looks good against the oilers. Shot differential was similar to the Ducks two nights ago. Typical Ducks brain cart cost them the 2 goals early in the game though.

There's just something about how they play that urks me. I think it's there "toss everything to the net and hope we get a rebound" style that I don't like. Looks like sloppy hockey and it works for them. They get the job done. That's kind of the downfall for the Ducks that they want the pretty plays and open shots.

I'm just jelly.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I watched some of it. Everybody looks good against the oilers. Shot differential was similar to the Ducks two nights ago. Typical Ducks brain cart cost them the 2 goals early in the game though.

There's just something about how they play that urks me. I think it's there "toss everything to the net and hope we get a rebound" style that I don't like. Looks like sloppy hockey and it works for them. They get the job done. That's kind of the downfall for the Ducks that they want the pretty plays and open shots.

I'm just jelly.

So they're like the Canucks but without Sedinery?

Edit: they = the ducks

Socreges

Banned
NY Islanders doing everything they can to erase Pat LaFontaine from their history after a spat with the owner years ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304023504577319912036433148.html

Kind of sad.
Lafontaine might just need to wait until Wang is dead. When new ownership comes in and restores Lafontaine's name in the organization (hopefully happens much sooner), and probably commemorates his 'return' with a ceremony, it'll mean he's going to be celebrated even more. He'll have reached martyr status among Islanders fans. But Wang doesn't seem capable of foresight anyhow.

Huh? What happened to Giroux? Or was it Hartnell? ...Jagr, maybe? Hmmm.

The Flyers already did "throw down" and because it happened at the end of the game, not because Briere is on some 'untouchables' list. If they do anything about it, again, that'd be retarded.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Top 10 pick rankings for April from Future Considerations for those interested:

Rank / Pos. / Name / Team / League / Ht / Wt /
1). RW Nail Yakupov, Sarnia, OHL, 5-10.5, 189
2). D Ryan Murray, Everett, WHL, 6-0.5, 200
3). C Alex Galchenyuk, Sarnia, OHL, 6-1, 185
4). C Mikhail Grigorenko, Quebec, QMJHL, 6-3, 200
5). LW Filip Forsberg, Leksand, Swe., 6-2, 180
6). D Morgan Rielly, Moose Jaw, WHL, 5-11.5, 190
7). D Matt Dumba, Red Deer, WHL, 5-11.5, 180
8). D Jacob Trouba, USNTDP U18, USHL, 6-2, 195
9). D Cody Ceci, Ottawa, OHL, 6-2.5, 210
10). RW Teuvo Teravainen, Jokerit Jr., Fin Jr., 5-11, 165

Curufinwe

Much better than a fight would be if someone on the Flyers could land a Kronwall-style hit on Crosby. The inevitable suspension would be more than worth it.

That Islanders article paints a vivid picture of why that franchise has been where it is for so long. I feel for the fans and holy shit do I feel better about Kroenke, Sherman & co right now. Just gotta wait for Wang to retire or die.

Quick

Banned
That Islanders article paints a vivid picture of why that franchise has been where it is for so long. I feel for the fans and holy shit do I feel better about Kroenke, Sherman & co right now. Just gotta wait for Wang to retire or die.

Wang really took a dump on that franchise. It sucks seeing one of the great NHL franchises take a nosedive. Either Wang needs to step down, or stop interfering with club operations.

hubes

vitale also hurt grossman with a knee to knee hit. i can't find a video and i don't remember it looking like it was intentional, but if you factor that in with brieres hit when the game was over he will definitely be targeted saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom