• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2014 |OT| Clearsi is the only stat that matters

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tuukka is playing like hot garbage. No Chara.

Combined with the usual uninspiring offense without playmakers.

We're certainly no Montreal Canadiens!
This is why I'm not bitter about Rask. He did win the Vezina, so props to him and our scouting department. However, Bs have a pretty aggressive back check and play a strong D when Chara is there. I think you could put in Bryzgalov (same situation with a defensive minded team in Phx) and he'd look like an allstar. You put Rask in front of our D and I'm sure he'd look like Bernier more or less anyways.
He says that everyone is being evaluated and is gonna be held accountable. Then 2 minutes later he says he's not trading the core and his best players.
Oilers lol
I give the Oil more grief than anyone here because 1. Fuck that racist shitbag redneck city (I still have family there and even they say it still sucks) 2. Fuck their blind useless management and 3. Fuck their shitty 1st overall picks

That said, I've heard many times that the Oil supposedly have good D prospects and we know they have forwards that can score. Their Goaltending isn't bad either, I can't blame Scribbles when the team hangs him out to dry and lets an opposing player take a slapshot 5 feet away from him.

So, what makes them so fucking bad year in and year out and why are they still last in the West and eat shit against Western teams?

1. Their core stinks. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Draisatl, Yakupov, and Schultz. These guys are offensively gifted (Hall is arguably the best LW in the league) yet soft and don't care about defending and I think rushing them gave them big egos which is causing problem 2.

2. Leadership is weak. Nobody there seems to know how to deal with losing and it seems like nobody there has the motivation and wherewithal to verbally berate and criticize that lazy core for not defending. You give them shit and they simply won't care because they have their money and they've been there long enough and they know the Oil have nobody else. They don't give a shit and they don't listen to anyone. This team make up is part of problem 3.

3. Management isn't very good. It's clear they've hired players from the past in respect for what they did, but I'm not convinced they're doing the best job. Lowe and Mac talk a lot and were great players but are either stuck or stupid because if they can't tell their core is the problem and need to ship them out then they need to go. Their draft record is abysmal but I think it was a bit of bad luck as well without a generational talent in those years. Heaven forbid they got a 1st in the Toews or Crosby year; this story would be different. They drafted the consensus 1st overall that was available, but I've said time and again they don't need soft forwards with motivational and character issues. They should've traded down and got those forwards from other teams and still pick up a good young player as well. Despite all this, even had they drafted good young players, they would've run into problem 4.

4. No AHL affiliate for a long time. While they have one now (I'm not sure how they're doing and whether they are developing kids effectively), having teens jump straight into your NHL team without having them adjust to the defensive responsibilities and speed of the NHL in the AHL first is like going from crawling to running the Boston Marathon. Sure, some like Crosby could do it, but that's why they are generational players and were fucking bored in the Jrs. No AHL team has led to problems with coaching and consistency.

5. Coaching turnover. There have been some decent coaches in Edmonton and I'm not convinced the coaches are the issue but rather the turnover. Quinn, Krueger, and Eakins have a losing record but I believe it was a combination of problems 1-4 that hamstrung them. Without a consistent and solid voice and structure in place, you're changing styles and systems every few years and players take awhile to adjust to systems. Take a look at the Rangers last year; they went from Torts to AV and while they started off weak, they got to the Cup final. At this point, I don't even think Scotty Bowman in his prime with Quenneville and Babcock as assistants can fix the mess they have now. Fans are now calling for Eakins' head when they should be calling for the core to change. He's not the one out there letting the opposing forwards make highlight reels out of your defensive and goalie. He set the system in place and he plays who is available. I say this as someone who wants Carlyle shot out of a cannon, but I say that because he's insistent on old hockey systems that worked in the past, he's incapable of adjusting, and he's terrible with actual instruction and communication.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Oilers could really use a veteran second line centre who can take on the tough matchups, like a Kesler or Plekanec. Now of course it's easy to say that every team needs one of those, but they desperately need it more than anything else.

Their drafting has been abysmal, no surprises coming up through their drafts, EA's auto draft probably could have done better.

Parch

It's beyond frustration in Edmonton. Nobody really knows what to do. Getting raped with core trades when their value is so low doesn't make any sense, although I'm sure there's plenty of vultures willing to grab the potential in rip-off trades. To hell with that. Sticking with and developing the potential is still the best plan. Management failing to do that is the problem.

The criticism are valid.
Yakupov is like that mentally challenged kid that is always skating in the wrong direction.
Coach Eakins is an idiot. He thinks the PK is that guy in Montreal.

The franchise is a mess, top to bottom. It's just crazy frustrating.

zroid

Banned
Oilers could really use a veteran second line centre who can take on the tough matchups, like a Kesler or Plekanec. Now of course it's easy to say that every team needs one of those, but they desperately need it more than anything else.

Their drafting has been abysmal, no surprises coming up through their drafts, EA's auto draft probably could have done better.

Nearly PPG, "defensively sound" veteran Tyler Bozak would be an excellent addition to the Oilers roster!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nearly PPG, "defensively sound" veteran Tyler Bozak would be an excellent addition to the Oilers roster!
Some perspective on how brutal TOR's L1 is in own zone: 307 forwards in the league have played 200+ minutes at 5v5 so far...In terms of on-ice shots against per 60, Bozak ranks 299th, Kessel 303rd, JVR 304th
:lol just brutal

Parch

The lack of depth is horrible. MacTavish failing to get enough centers in the preseason is just an unacceptable mistake IMO. Draisaitl should be in the minors, but the team had no choice but to keep him.

No #1 center. No #1 goaltender. No top pairing D-men. They can't develop the prospects they do have. Now they're just swapping around AHL-level talent to try and find something that works. That lack of depth has to put the blame on management.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't have a problem with remasters, in fact I wish Nintendo would do more in the vein of Wind Waker HD. But you have to admit it's kind of silly when they're releasing remasters of year old games.

Red_Man

Patches made comments that sounded like he wants away from DD today.....

MorenoTears.gif

Could it finally be happening soon?!

zroid

Banned
I don't have a problem with remasters, in fact I wish Nintendo would do more in the vein of Wind Waker HD. But you have to admit it's kind of silly when they're releasing remasters of year old games.

That's why the PS4 and XB1 aren't backwards compatible. Pretty soon the entire last gen library will be remastered!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of depth is horrible. MacTavish failing to get enough centers in the preseason is just an unacceptable mistake IMO. Draisaitl should be in the minors, but the team had no choice but to keep him.

No #1 center. No #1 goaltender. No top pairing D-men. They can't develop the prospects they do have. Now they're just swapping around AHL-level talent to try and find something that works. That lack of depth has to put the blame on management.

RNH still has a ton of potential, but they really should have found a way to shelter him if they insisted on having him in the lineup as a teen.

Top pairing defenseman will be a problem for them to acquire, but you can get by on good defensive depth, and the Goaltending shouldn't be too hard to fix. I really thought Nikitin would be better for them, what's he been like overall?

You look at what NYI were able to do to improve their defensemen, and wonder why Edmonton couldn't do the same.

Red_Man

Give me a KOTOR & a Crimson Skies remake and I'll be good for the rest of this gen.

Parch

I really thought Nikitin would be better for them, what's he been like overall?
Disappointing, but he hasn't been healthy. Oilers haven't seen a healthy Nikitin yet. Had the ankle problem and apparently his back has been bothering him all season. He hasn't been skating well at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Amateur and Pro scouting needs work. They talked about it in the Mac press conference. They have positional needs everywhere and I guess that's what happens when you pick BPA cause you have so many top picks instead of looking ahead to what you need.

It's beyond frustration in Edmonton. Nobody really knows what to do. Getting raped with core trades when their value is so low doesn't make any sense, although I'm sure there's plenty of vultures willing to grab the potential in rip-off trades. To hell with that. Sticking with and developing the potential is still the best plan. Management failing to do that is the problem.

The criticism are valid.
Yakupov is like that mentally challenged kid that is always skating in the wrong direction.
Coach Eakins is an idiot. He thinks the PK is that guy in Montreal.

The franchise is a mess, top to bottom. It's just crazy frustrating.
Well...Mac wanted to sign Clarktard for more money...there was that :)
I really think Yakupov should go because he's not a defensively minded player and his offensive doesn't make up for it. I'm not so quick to blame Eakins; he plays the players given to him. If you guys had a Komarov and a Winnik or Santorelli in there, things would be different. Who is there to play defense on that team???

I laughed but he'd be an upgrade to what they have there.

Mac talked about not getting the best values in trades. Where the fuck was he when Boychuck, Leddy, Grabbo, Kulemin, Winnik, Santorelli, and Stralman were available? He could've signed most/all of them and traded for Halak and I'm certain this narrative would be different.
Disappointing, but he hasn't been healthy. Oilers haven't seen a healthy Nikitin yet. Had the ankle problem and apparently his back has been bothering him all season. He hasn't been skating well at all.
I feel kinda bad for him shouldering the burden as well. I hope their medical staff isn't another reason the Oil are so bad; rushing players back before they're ready is terrible.

ZeroGravity

Whoever posted that stat before about how much futility Edmonton has gotten drafting beyond the first round was bang on.

Compare that with a team like Tampa, whose top line right now is made up of a 2nd rounder, a 7th rounder, and a guy who went undrafted. How anyone in Edmonton's scouting department is still employed is beyond me.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I was just coming here to post that Cleary is changing his number back to 11. Looks like GAF-Pierre beat me to it.

BTW, I'm gonna be at the Playstation Experience thing tomorrow (flying down tonight) so I'm gonna miss both Wings games this weekend. Gonna be checking my phone all the time though. I'll try to get some scoops for you guys! I hope I can attend the key note tomorrow morning. Anyone want any pics of vids of anything specific?

Samyy

Haha, I was just coming here to post that Cleary is changing his number back to 11. Looks like GAF-Pierre beat me to it.

BTW, I'm gonna be at the Playstation Experience thing tomorrow (flying down tonight) so I'm gonna miss both Wings games this weekend. Gonna be checking my phone all the time though. I'll try to get some scoops for you guys! I hope I can attend the key note tomorrow morning. Anyone want any pics of vids of anything specific?

If you get a chance to play Bloodborne let us know :D
Man I'm so jealous :( exams don't end until Friday otherwise my friends and I would have gone...

Parch

RNH still has a ton of potential, but they really should have found a way to shelter him if they insisted on having him in the lineup as a teen.
Nuge had the shoulder problem as well, and anybody who's dealt with that knows it's a nagging injury that takes a ridiculous long time to heal. Good enough to play, but not close to 100%. He should finally be feeling in top form but that injury stunted his development.

I'd consider Nuge and Hall the untouchables. Deals for everybody else should be listened to but trading parts when they have such low value isn't going to get much. Oilers are in a tough trading position so I don't blame McTavish for avoiding the panic. It's still his fault for getting the team into this position though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Nuge had the shoulder problem as well, and anybody who's dealt with that knows it's a nagging injury that takes a ridiculous long time to heal. Good enough to play, but not close to 100%. He should finally be feeling in top form but that injury stunted his development.

I'd consider Nuge and Hall the untouchables. Deals for everybody else should be listened to but trading parts when they have such low value isn't going to get much. Oilers are in a tough trading position so I don't blame McTavish for avoiding the panic. It's still his fault for getting the team into this position though.

Yeah I don't see how they possibly improve trading those two. They're going to get lowballed on every trade offer at this point though, they should have tried making some big trades earlier in their rebuild.

It seems like they really thought they could build soley through the draft, but you've got to have some home runs from the later rounds every one in a while.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If you get a chance to play Bloodborne let us know :D
Man I'm so jealous :( exams don't end until Friday otherwise my friends and I would have gone...
I've never played a Dark Souls game, but a lot of guys at work wanted me to check that out as well, so I'll be looking at it for sure.

Foggy

Tank talk has started to really heat up in Lumbus and I think it'll be interesting how long it takes for Dubinsky to return. He's already taken two weeks longer than initially thought with the groin surgery recovery and he's been skating full practices. Clearly the front office is going to keep reciting the same song and dance, but if he doesn't skate in Tampa Bay or in the Philly game then it sounds like they're fully on board with the tank and are gonna take their sweet-ass time with the rest of the current injuries(Ryan Murray, Fedor Tyutin, Mark Letestu, Artem Anisimov, Cody Golobeuf, Nathan Horton, Brandon Dubinsky).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tank talk has started to really heat up in Lumbus and I think it'll be interesting how long it takes for Dubinsky to return. He's already taken two weeks longer than initially thought with the groin surgery recovery and he's been skating full practices. Clearly the front office is going to keep reciting the same song and dance, but if he doesn't skate in Tampa Bay or in the Philly game then it sounds like they're fully on board with the tank and are gonna take their sweet-ass time with the rest of the current injuries(Ryan Murray, Fedor Tyutin, Mark Letestu, Artem Anisimov, Cody Golobeuf, Nathan Horton, Brandon Dubinsky).

BJs, Stars, and Avs are the three teams that have really surprised me this season. I expected all of them to do better, but they haven't.

Red_Man

BJs, Stars, and Avs are the three teams that have really surprised me this season. I expected all of them to do better, but they haven't.
You can't really bunch BJ's in with the likes of AV's, Stars, Canes, Oil, etc. CBJ has been hit by so many injuries, it's pretty much impossible for them to make up the lost man games. Most teams would be in similar positions if they lost the same type of players they have. They're actually kind of lucky, they wouldn't have made a deep cup run this year anyways, and now they could get a franchise player and be back in the playoffs next year.

Samyy

As I mentioned earlier
A McDavid/Eichel and Johanson combo up the middle terrifies

Throw in great young players like Jenner, Rychel, Murray and then Bob the Cop
RIP Eastern conf :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You can't really bunch BJ's in with the likes of AV's, Stars, Canes, Oil, etc. CBJ has been hit by so many injuries, it's pretty much impossible for them to make up the lost man games. Most teams would be in similar positions if they lost the same type of players they have. They're actually kind of lucky, they wouldn't have made a deep cup run this year anyways, and now they could get a franchise player and be back in the playoffs next year.
Fair point. I'd be scared of...

As I mentioned earlier
A McDavid/Eichel and Johanson combo up the middle terrifies

Throw in great young players like Jenner, Rychel, Murray and then Bob the Cop
RIP Eastern conf :(

Fuck. Me...

Samyy

And the Habs have Galchenyuk
And the Panthers have Barkov
And the Sabres already have Reinhart and Grigorenko and this Girgensons kid

:'(

Top Bottom