• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2014 |OT| Clearsi is the only stat that matters

Samyy

I just fucking vomited 6+ times. What a night.

What happened at the Doritos pope awards?

My entire family and a couple of friends also had some stomach thing, just lasts 1 day, it seems to be going around right now. Thankfully I seemed to have avoided it for now.

Copious amounts of Purell + preping my own food has saved me....for now :(

TUSR

Banned
I think they handed out 4 awards over 3 hours and ran commercials the rest of the time.

Any cool games announced?

My entire family and a couple of friends also had some stomach thing, just lasts 1 day, it seems to be going around right now. Thankfully I seemed to have avoided it for now.

Copious amounts of Purell + preping my own food has saved me....for now :(

Fuck. I barely slept last night.

Samyy

Any cool games announced?

Fuck. I barely slept last night.

Yep, terrifying me since I have 3 exams in the next 7 days. Can't afford to get sick right now :((((

And uh new games...not really?
There was a new Bloodborne trailer which is all I really cared about.

That's cool, reminds me of Ninja Gaiden

Ninja-Gaiden-Cliff.jpg

Too bad the newer Ninja Gaiden games didn't capture the feeling like the original 8-bit games

The modern Ninja Gaidens were nothing like the original games but my goddd Ninja Gaiden Black is an amazing, amazing game.
I don't lean as heavily on adv stats as some people, but I think you have to give them some credit for correctly predicting this.

I mean, to some extent sure. Except they then went on to retract their predictions for this season and said the opposite would happen.

TUSR

Banned
Yep, terrifying me since I have 3 exams in the next 7 days. Can't afford to get sick right now :((((

And uh new games...not really?
There was a new Bloodborne trailer which is all I really cared about.

I'm laying here, had one of the worst sleeps I can remember in the last 10+ years, and I can't sleep. Don't get sick.

Bloodborne, I'll have to check that out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I mean, to some extent sure. Except they then went on to retract their predictions for this season and said the opposite would happen.
I'm referring to a few that mainly deal with the Leafs. They've been calling for a team to trade for Colorado's 1st overall since after the playoffs last season. There's obviously a lot of factors to it, but I think this has shown there's some amount of validity to adv stats for those who doubted it before.

Who retracted?

Like Red, I only notice the Canadian guys, and I don't think any of them had changed their minds about Colorado's inevitable regression.

Who retracted?

Like Red, I only notice the Canadian guys, and I don't think any of them had changed their minds about Colorado's inevitable regression.

I'd have to go back and look for it as quite frankly I don't follow any particular analytics source but I'm fairly certain there was even a video on the front page of NHL.com before the pre-season started going into our stats from last season and how they would be fine playing the same way this season. I think Jamie Mclennan was part of said video?

Samyy

I'd have to go back and look for it as quite frankly I don't follow any particular analytics source but I'm fairly certain there was even a video on the front page of NHL.com before the pre-season started going into our stats from last season and how they would be fine playing the same way this season. I think Jamie Mclennan was part of said video?

Uhhhh those are not the analytics guys we are referring too.
Jaime Mclennan, the dude on Leafs Lunch? yea no.

Uhhhh those are not the analytics guys we are referring too.
Jaime Mclennan, the dude on Leafs Lunch? yea no.

Right, I was using that name (the only one I remember from the video) as a way of trying to track down the video.

Also, we? I don't remember you referring to anyone in particular, just general spewing of opinion.

Jamie 'Save Percentage is Meaningless' McLennan?

Of Leafs Lunch fame?

Oh.

edit: Banner Saga is a wonderful game. I'm happy to see that they've announced the next chapter.

Red_Man

NHL.com doesn't use any valid stats guys afaik.

HOW THE FUCK DOES BERNIER NOT KNOW WHO MANDELA WAS?
#notmy1G
I'm legitimately impressed, how did they not ask him? How did he not at least look him up on Google or something?

Well anyway, my whole point was that the Avs play a system that requires a ton of effort for it to be successful because it's not even remotely safe if you're going to play lazy and if your goalie is not on top of his game all the time. Advanced stats can show how unsafe it is, but to say a team was shit all along when they had an 82 game season like the avs did last year.. I just can't fucking understand that train of thought. As someone who has watched every game this year and last it's INCREDIBLY evident that they are not putting in the same effort like they did almost every night last year. The same dangerous system is in place though, and therein lies the difference. The demands are too high in this system for a team as apathetic as this group has been to this point.

Well anyway, my whole point was that the Avs play a system that requires a ton of effort for it to be successful because it's not even remotely safe if you're going to play lazy and if your goalie is not on top of his game all the time. Advanced stats can show how unsafe it is, but to say a team was shit all along when they had an 82 game season like the avs did last year.. I just can't fucking understand that train of thought. As someone who has watched every game this year and last it's INCREDIBLY evident that they are not putting in the same effort like they did almost every night last year. The same dangerous system is in place though, and therein lies the difference. The demands are too high in this system for a team as apathetic as this group has been to this point.

You don't need advanced stats to see the problems with the Avs, whether it be the moves that were made this offseason or there effort. If you actually need numbers to know what's going on then you're an idiot.

You don't need advanced stats to see the problems with the Avs, whether it be the moves that were made this offseason or there effort. If you actually need numbers to know what's going on then you're an idiot.

That's kinda what I was getting at when I asked Samyy if he was even watching avalanche games.

Red_Man

Nobody is saying that they were complete shit for 82 games, just that their success was due more to Varlamov's unsustainable save percentage and other factors like high shooting percentages, which are known to be a variable that can rise and fall over multiple seasons. Obviously I don't watch a lot of Avs games, but it's hard to comprehend they went from a top 3 team to a basement dweller so far this season purely because they're being lazy. I still think it's a combination of factors, and Montreal would probably be in the same boat if Price wasn't consistently one of the best goalies in the league right now.

Samyy

Wait your telling me shit teams can't play well?
Of course they can - look at the Leafs fo 80% of the season.
The Leafs in the lockout season.

Red_Man

Wait your telling me shit teams can't play well?
Of course they can - look at the Leafs fo 80% of the season.
The Leafs in the lockout season.
Avs have a pretty good foundation, just seems like they haven't had the goaltending to compensate for their shoddy D this year. The loss of a quality center like Statsny can't be undermined either.

We also have around 9 people injured right now, 5 on IR I think. We've been in 14 one goal games that we've lost, where apathy and laziness can definitely play a factor. Our bottom 6 is bad, which I keep harping on and McGinn and Mitchell are out right now, the only two in the bottom six I'm confidant in. We lost Stastny, couple that with the bad bottom six and that's a lot more responsibility for a sophomore center in MacKinnon, too much at the moment, which is probably part of why he's struggled. Varlamov has been injured twice this season, so we've relied on a bad backup and an AHL goalie (who was decent, but still inexperienced). Though statistical indications from a team with a significantly different roster from last year is why we're bad, sure.

zroid

Banned
Here's my take on the Avs and #fancystats:

To be clear I haven't watched that many Avs games, so it is partially speculative. I think, when 19&21 says they're not playing as well as they were last year, he's not wrong. Stuff like PDO isn't all luck, and it isn't all goaltending. You can "play well" with a bad possession rating by covering up those holes with other things like takeaways and scoring off the rush.

The reason possession stats are valued highly by analytics is they're sustainable. It's like getting the fundamentals down. If your fundamentals are bad, you can play other aspects of the game well, and win a lot of games, but you can't always count on them to bail you out when the basics are out of whack.

When you're talking about the Avs this year, you can point to a lack of effort or whatever, and it's fair. They're obviously not doing the things they were doing last year, which allowed them to get ~110 whatever points. The issue just comes down to if you don't have a solid possession rating, then it's more difficult to keep those other things at a consistently high level so you can win games, and we're sort of seeing the result of that right now.

Uncharted 4 graphix

Uncharted 4 looks good, but it doesn't look like the in-game trailer they showed at E3. I only ever played Uncharted 2, which I liked, but wasn't blown away. It's a linear 3rd person shooter, I actually liked the gameplay in Tomb Raider better, the gunplay was very similar, but the level design was better. I loved The Last of Us though.

Red_Man

The issue I have with the "compete level" complaint is in a game where a team has shit compete level, if they scored one more goal, or had a lucky bounce then suddenly the commentary becomes "they really competed and got that character win". It's just such an easy cop out. I'm not saying that's the case in for 19 & 21 because like I said I haven't watched a lot of Avs games, but whenever I see that as a complaint I automatically assume there are larger issues behind the scenes. Therrien pulls this shit all the time, and it drives me crazy. Some of the Habs losses this year have been some of their best games statistically speaking.

The issue I have with the "compete level" complaint is in a game where a team has shit compete level, if they scored one more goal, or had a lucky bounce then suddenly the commentary becomes "they really competed and got that character win". It's just such an easy cop out. I'm not saying that's the case in for 19 & 21 because like I said I haven't watched a lot of Avs games, but whenever I see that as a complaint I automatically assume there are larger issues behind the scenes. Therrien pulls this shit all the time, and it drives me crazy. Some of the Habs losses this year have been some of their best games statistically speaking.

That shit drives me insane too and that's exactly what our commentators do. It leaks into the player's philosophy as well as seen by Parise's post game comments recently.

Quite frankly I think that Roy needs to make fundamental changes to this system cause it's plainly obvious that our guys can't fucking handle it this year. He did try to make some changes a few weeks ago and arguably it made things a little better but god damn it's just not enough.

edit: Also just for the record, Kill Strain is a dumb fucking name.

zroid

Banned
The issue I have with the "compete level" complaint is in a game where a team has shit compete level, if they scored one more goal, or had a lucky bounce then suddenly the commentary becomes "they really competed and got that character win". It's just such an easy cop out.
this is the commentary surrounding Calgary in a nutshell right now and it's so dumb

I don't need the mainstream analysts to all get into fancystats but for the love of god please try some actual analysis maybe

Red_Man

There's also factors like confidence which adv stats can't track right now, which I think is a huge part of a teams play. Especially in a place like Colorado where they haven't had great goal tending, and Varlamov's been out for most of the season, they're probably playing more tentatively than they normally would.

this is the commentary surrounding Calgary in a nutshell right now and it's so dumb
Exactly. Everyone is crediting Hartely for instilling a real sense of compete level which has allowed them to succeed at this level. I don't doubt the effects a good coach and work ethic can have on a team, but crediting all of their success to that is idiotic.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently Brian Little's hattrick yesterday was the Jets' first hattrick. Pretty cool.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Transcript of the Bernier interview

Jonathan Bernier in the receiving line at a Nelson Mandela Foundation event The Giant of Africa
Reporter1 (SportsNet mic): Alright Jonathan, how important is, uh, the legacy of Nelson Mandela to you?
JB: Well obviously he's been, uh, a tremendous, uh, athlete and you know obviously what, uh, he means to all the sports you know when you know the worl- the world can uh be changed by the sports it's pretty amazing. And I think he's definitely uh got a lot of respect in every sports and uh he's definitely one of the athletes I watched growing up as well.
Reporter1's mic disappears from frame
Reporter2: Why is it important for you to come show support tonight?
JB: Well I think any good cause is, uh, sorry (he's apologizing to someone to the left of the screen, not sure who/why), it's always, uh, you know I love supporting, uh, any kind of cause obviously it's for the Afri-, in Africa it's obviously it's, uh, a great cause, and enjoying, I guess, the basketball game.
Reporter2: Thanks.

Jesus christ LOL

Top Bottom