• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

zroid

Banned
If Dreger is reporting it and Friedman is backing it, I'm more inclined to believe them then a management group that fired a winning coach.

No doubt there is some truth the report. The issue is with how it's being framed to ignite controversy. The same was true with how the media framed the Gallant firing as something reactionary as opposed to the reality which was simply that he didn't see eye to eye with the new management's philosophy, and he probably expected it. Everything is probably a lot more nuanced than we are being led to believe. That's the simple explanation.

zroid

Banned
Soo..... Ramo has been a disaster for the Marlies so far. Worse than Enroth was with the Leafs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is Enroth with the Marlies right now or what?

Quick

Banned
Soo..... Ramo has been a disaster for the Marlies so far. Worse than Enroth was with the Leafs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is Enroth with the Marlies right now or what?

You're asking too many questions.

f4qHlBt.gif

Foggy

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sidney...-simpsons-puck-daddy-countdown-145930991.html

Ahhhhhh, Ryan Lambert, professional cool smart guy

I’m a little surprised that saying “Looks like the Blue Jackets have gone from terrible to mediocre,” ended up being such a hot-button issue. But I guess when your team is so bad for so long you’re gonna overreact to everything.

So let’s clarify something from this week’s WWL: Saying they were bad when they were winning against good teams, but good when they’re winning against bad teams isn’t moving the goalposts.

It’s pretty simple: A huge PDO and unsustainably potent power play allowed them to outperform a horrible xGF% that you might expect against a slew of big teams when you aren’t yourself especially talented. Now they are whaling on bad teams and winning despite a normalized PDO, indicating what? That they are better than the bad teams.

So here’s how it goes: A few great teams – gap – a handful of good teams – gap – a bunch of mediocre teams including Columbus – several bad teams – a few very bad teams.

But Columbus has all these points in the bank so they’re going to make the playoffs pretty comfortably instead of spending most of the season on the bubble. And then they’ll probably lose to a team that’s better than them. I would have thought that much was clear but this is the Ohio education system we’re talking about, so that’s my mistake.

isn't FLA-WPG at 8PM ET? Jagr vs Laine oh boy oh boy oh boy! i did the math and Laine could be Jagr's grandson.

is Laine still depressed from his last goal? can he play?

imBask

Banned
No doubt there is some truth the report. The issue is with how it's being framed to ignite controversy. The same was true with how the media framed the Gallant firing as something reactionary as opposed to the reality which was simply that he didn't see eye to eye with the new management's philosophy, and he probably expected it. Everything is probably a lot more nuanced than we are being led to believe. That's the simple explanation.

NHL COACH TAKES A CAB, YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THE PANTHERS DID NEXT

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

Marvie_3

Banned
I love hearing people complain about the cold here in NYC and then see their reaction when I show them its -10 in minneapolis right now. :lol

calder

is Laine still depressed from his last goal? can he play?

Initial reports were he was quitting hockey but he reconsidered and instead has vowed to score 3 goals a game on his own team to prove it wasn't a mistake. It's not ideal but he's young so we're just going to let his sort it out on his own :/

Not like wins and losses matter to us at this point. May as well just let him get it out of his system

yyzjohn

Banned
Initial reports were he was quitting hockey but he reconsidered and instead has vowed to score 3 goals a game on his own team to prove it wasn't a mistake. It's not ideal but he's young so we're just going to let his sort it out on his own :/

Not like wins and losses matter to us at this point. May as well just let him get it out of his system

That taught him a valuable lesson of never trying to back check in his own zone again.

Curufinwe

at this point I'm mostly of the belief that the Canadian media has been manufacturing a controversy where there isn't one. they thrive on the public perception that the Florida ownership is inept.

Is it the media's fault the Panthers are 22nd in the league right now? The management retooled the team this summer, handed out a bunch of huge contracts, and they aren't doing well.

You forget zroid that Canadian media and casual fans believe there shouldn't be teams south of DC. Not even Tampa or Dallas or the California teams should exist in their minds, they want it back to what it was like in the Expansion Six era.

imBask

Banned
You forget zroid that Canadian media and casual fans believe there shouldn't be teams south of DC. Not even Tampa or Dallas or the California teams should exist in their minds, they want it back to what it was like in the Expansion Six era.

The team has lost 154M in the past 10 years. Hockey is a capitalist business and actual hockey cities are waiting to get a team

I love hearing people complain about the cold here in NYC and then see their reaction when I show them its -10 in minneapolis right now. :lol

Had a friend in Minneapolis snapchat me this morning complaining about -11. He sent another one about 10 minutes later of him sitting in his car and it being -10. "Fuck this shit" was the caption.

I send him one back with a picture of weather report here. -17 standard, -33 with wind chill. The reaction image was pretty good haha

Is it the media's fault the Panthers are 22nd in the league right now? The management retooled the team this summer, handed out a bunch of huge contracts, and they aren't doing well.

Huberdeau got his Achilles sliced in preseason, Bjugstad broke his wrist in preseason, Jussi got injured at the WCoH, Ekblad got concussed at the WCoH. The team starts healthy they have at least two more wins on the season and none of the talk manifests and they are seen as geniuses. Not to mention PDO is one of the worst in the league, and signing of Yandle, Demers, Marchassault and Sceviour all are great.

Should they have let Gallant really fail before firing him? Sure it would've been better for the optics and at least have had an outside coach come in and not the GM. They aren't helping but let's not pretend CDN hockey media doesn't have to twist themselves into knots to say something positive about the team. Take drafting Barkov for example.

imBask

Banned
Think of Medicine Hat, people!

i'm sure 1/3 of the 60 000 population of Medecine Hat would make it to the arena every game, and they wouldn't have to giveaway a tickets+jersey+massage with Huberdeau package with every roll of toilet paper sold in the whole state

Foggy

You joke, but I think a team in medicine hat would still find a way to sell out every game

Who cares. The NHL certainly doesn't. The fine people of Medicine Hat are already watching hockey. No new eyeballs. No real growth potential. Not worth it.

imBask

Banned
Who cares. The NHL certainly doesn't. The fine people of Medicine Hat are already watching hockey. No new eyeballs. No real growth potential. Not worth it.

what growth is there to have in Sunrise?! how many more years do you need to see that it's not working?

Half the Panthers fans are Habs fans in vacation, they also already watch hockey.

Foggy

what growth is there to have in Sunrise?! how many more years do you need to see that it's not working?

Half the Panthers fans are Habs fans in vacation, they also already watch hockey.

My comments are in response to the idea that "actual hockey cities are waiting". If you're talking Milwaukee or Seattle, then we're still waiting on them. If you're talking Quebec City or Markham or the future Regina Bath Salts then you just gotta keep waiting. American cheddar and American eyeballs are the only ways for the NHL to actually grow.

imBask

Banned
My comments are in response to the idea that "actual hockey cities are waiting". If you're talking Milwaukee or Seattle, then we're still waiting on them. If you're talking Quebec City or Markham or the future Regina Bath Salts then you just gotta keep waiting. American cheddar and American eyeballs are the only ways for the NHL to actually grow.

oh I understand, i'm not talking about Quebec they can fuck off

Seattle would work, Milwaukee too probably, there are plenty of cities to try. Vegas was probably a bad choice but we'll see

Marvie_3

Banned
Had a friend in Minneapolis snapchat me this morning complaining about -11. He sent another one about 10 minutes later of him sitting in his car and it being -10. "Fuck this shit" was the caption.

I send him one back with a picture of weather report here. -17 standard, -33 with wind chill. The reaction image was pretty good haha
Fucking babies. Move to Arizona with the rest of the babies.

The Panthers get like 4000 people watching on tv. How is that growing anything?

Seattle would work, Milwaukee too probably, there are plenty of cities to try. Vegas was probably a bad choice but we'll see
Milwaukee would be awesome.

Vegas was, is, and always will be a bad idea.

Foggy

It's possible to see Vegas as a trojan horse to get exposure to all corners of the country. Alabama Joe Sixpack visits Vegas and gets some comped tickets and returns home a fan so he buys Game Center and follows his new favorite team. It's a lot to hope for, but who knows. The greater Vegas area is larger than people realize and they're thirsty for any pro team. The only other addition would possibly be football and that would only be once a week. They'll also have a much better head start than the Blue Jackets did...

The Panthers get like 4000 people watching on tv. How is that growing anything?

I said "growth potential" you fartface butt nugget

imBask

Banned
It's possible to see Vegas as a trojan horse to get exposure to all corners of the country. Alabama Joe Sixpack visits Vegas and gets some comped tickets and returns home a fan so he buys Game Center and follows his new favorite team. It's a lot to hope for, but who knows. The greater Vegas area is larger than people realize and they're thirsty for any pro team. The only other addition would possibly be football and that would only be once a week. They'll also have a much better head start than the Blue Jackets did...

It could work, but i'm super worried for stuff like having 10 000 weirdos who don't really care about the team at a playoff game because they got tickets in their package deal

Foggy

It could work, but i'm super worried for stuff like having 10 000 weirdos who don't really care about the team at a playoff game because they got tickets in their package deal

Yeah they have potential to be the most apathetic fanbase in the league or since it's so alcohol-soaked it could be a weird middle-aged nomadic version of the Raider fanbase.

Woah, let's not throw around words like fartface butt nugget carelessly.

And on Marvie's birthday too :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
NHL should be adding muliple teams to toronto area just due to the growth of the city/GTHA region

Expected to grow more than 3.5 million next 20 years

Toronto is quickly becoming another New York and they are failing to capitalize on that

Top Bottom