• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

+ At least with him back up the world will be spared another one of these ridiculous 'fringe NHLer finding it hard to make a lot of money' stories that pop up every 2-3 weeks.

This year I think I've seen articles about Sad Michalek, Sad Enroth, Sad Laich and Sad Corrado.

zroid

Banned
I am actually agreeing with Glenn Healy on something, what is the world coming to

(he's advocating for Corrado to get in the lineup at least occasionally)

The funny thing is, Enroth might not even get a start. The Leafs play Saturday-Monday-Thur-Fri. So Andersen will play the first 3 and they can recall Bibeau for that Friday game.

you might be right there. they obviously want Bibeau to get game action so it makes sense to send him down.

not that I think Bibeau is actually an upgrade over Enroth...
although he was ok in his debut

yyzjohn

Banned
+ At least with him back up the world will be spared another one of these ridiculous 'fringe NHLer finding it hard to make a lot of money' stories that pop up every 2-3 weeks.

This year I think I've seen articles about Sad Michalek, Sad Enroth, Sad Laich and Sad Corrado.

Corrado is a whole other story. He hasn't even gotten an opportunity to show if he's a fringe NHLer or not. 1 game out of 29 while Hunlak are constantly in there makes no sense at all. At least let him sink or swim on his merit alone.

Reckheim

Corrado is a whole other story. He hasn't even gotten an opportunity to show if he's a fringe NHLer or not. 1 game out of 29 while Hunlak are constantly in there makes no sense at all. At least let him sink or swim on his merit alone.

I agree, especially with Marincin out there is no reason why they can't sit Polak or Hunwick once in a while. You're having to just sit one players instead of two.

Corrado definitely didn't look too good his one game he played but he still needs more of a chance.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Ottawa Senators, after being denied an outdoor game on Parliament Hill, will reportedly host the Montreal Canadiens on. Dec. 17, 2017, at TD Place.

TD Place is the home of the CFL’s Ottawa Redblacks. It was recently renovated and has 24,000 permanent seats.

Why aren't they playing Chicago?

imBask

Banned
Mirtle droppig truth bombs on Twitter about analytics: https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/809848974240845824

correlation.png

imBask

Banned
My bad, you're right. Possessing the puck a lot doesn't really have anything to do with being a good team. Touching the puck is vastly overrated. The only player who ever really needs to touch the puck is the goalie. That's the true recipe for success.

There's a correlation. It's one aspect of many. Is it enough to prove anything? no, 3 teams out of the 8 he posted haven't touched a cup, yet have been dominant.

relax man ;)

There's a correlation. It's one aspect of many. Is it enough to prove anything? no, 3 teams out of the 8 he posted haven't touched a cup, yet have been dominant.

relax man ;)

Oh I'm not one of those guys who's trying to say that fancy stats are the be all end all of building a team. Those great teams on the list have a lot of other pieces like elite goalies and great shooters and whatnot but I was just saying that to think possession numbers have 0 value doesn't really make sense.

imBask

Banned
Have you guys seen the Simmonds and Pacioretty thingy?

Apparently in the book The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events. by Jay Greenberg, he revealed that Holmgren canceled a trade for Pacioretty in 2013

the trade was :

Pacioretty + 1st pick (Michael McCarron)
for
Simmonds + 1st pick (Samuel Morin)

take it however you want, 25stanley is a stupid blog and didn't post the actual quote from the book (EDIT: other journalists in Montreal have reported the same so I guess there's something to it)

So scoring is definitely up this year compared to last right? Or am I imagining things? I feel like I'm seeing teams score 5 or 6+ goals more often than I ever have before.

Oh I'm not one of those guys who's trying to say that fancy stats are the be all end all of building a team. Those great teams on the list have a lot of other pieces like elite goalies and great shooters and whatnot but I was just saying that to think possession numbers have 0 value doesn't really make sense.

Very few think that they have 0 value. Those that do are witless buffoons.

However, Mirtle's tweet is stupid. And it suggests he *is* one of those guys who thinks analytics is the a/o of team building.

Top Bottom