• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

CCF23

See? Not our whole team are douchebags that are easy to hate? The guy that will be traded soon and the coach that will be fired if the team doesn't win in the playoffs are pretty likeable!

PS: Cakebossed.

Socreges

Banned
See? Not our whole team are douchebags that are easy to hate? The guy that will be traded soon and the coach that will be fired if the team doesn't win in the playoffs are pretty likeable!

PS: Cakebossed.
Kesler is the only guy that I'm pretty sure is a douchebag when cameras aren't around. Everyone else is awesome. And I'll forgive Kesler so long as he cuts out the theatrics.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Kesler is the only guy that I'm pretty sure is a douchebag when cameras aren't around. Everyone else is awesome. And I'll forgive Kesler so long as he cuts out the theatrics.

Of those that are "famous" enough to give interviews regularly, all of Bieksa, Burrows, Hansen, Schneider and Luongo seem to be funny and relaxed guys. Hamhuis, Sedins, Malhotra are less funny, but definitely nice guys. I'll forgive Kesler as long as Nashville-Beastmode-Kesler is still somewhere in him.

So is Schroeder our permanent* third line center once Kesler returns? Strong defensively, can play well within the Canucks' system, and has a nose for the net. He's not terrible at faceoffs (41%) and won't be relied on too much anyhow since Hank/Kesler/Malhotra are all very good. He fumbles a bit with the puck, but he hasn't once frustrated me like Ebbett did. I don't expect him to have the impact that Hodgson did, but I do think he's got a place on this team now.

* permanent unless he struggles enough and can be sent down because he's exempt from waivers

All the non-hockey stuff in that gif is from one (amazing) conspiracy theory video. Made it much easier/quicker to piece together. But you're right.
I think Schroeder has definitely proven at this point that he's an NHL top-niner, where he lands in that top nine is anyone's guess. He's doing the stuff that Hodgson couldn't do while he was here, and is earning tons of ice time as a result. Like you said, Schroeder's been solid defensively, and that's what's earning him a lot of icetime. Also, apparently AV loves him on the PP. He had the most PP time tonight amongst all forwards, including the Sedins.

Canucksarmy touched on it, and I agree with their assessment. I think once Kesler and Booth returns, Schroeder's current line should stay intact as a 2nd line B. Raymond's a top six forward again and Hansens been playing lights out offensively. With Schroeder picking up his comfort zone and points, I think our healthy lineup could look very dangerous:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Malhotra-Lapierre

Dat forward depth.

Montresor

*CBC shows pic of 3-month old baby who recently went through open heart surgery wearing Flames jersey and big smile*

Petrillo: "Let's hope the Flames come through for the little one tonight"

What? No. Fuck the baby. She's survived surgery - she can handle another Flames loss.

It has been quiet tonight, agreed.

The shock of the Flames actually winning probably wouldn't be good for her heart anyway.

They won their last two. I think she will be fine.

That's why she needed surgery in the first place.

Awesome.

Montresor

I just heard Gorges's comments on the radio. Ugh, he said Grabo should drop the gloves and stand up for himself if he wants respect. Gorges is conveniently forgetting that Grabovski was fighting with Prust when Pacioretty started to wrap his hand around Grabovski's face. I don't mind criticizing Grabovski for his actions, but I don't like the narrative that Gorges is trying to push in the media.

In any case, last night felt incredible. That is the best game I've seen the Leafs play in a long, long time. Please let the crowd at the ACC give the boys a standing ovation tomorrow against Philly.

edit: Finally proofread my post and fixed grammatical errors.

Seguin

Banned
In any case, last night felt incredible. That is the best game I've seen the Leafs play in a long, long time. Please let the crowd at the ACC give the boys a standing ovation tomorrow against Philly.

Now you know how Bruins fans felt after every game against the Leafs last year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I just heard Gorges's comments on the radio. Ugh, he said Grabo should drop the gloves and stand up for himself if he wants respect. Gorges is conveniently forgetting that Grabovski was fighting with Prust when Pacioretty started to wrap his hand around Grabovski's face. I don't mind criticizing Grabovski for his actions, but I don't like the narrative that Gorges is trying to push in the media.

edit: Finally proofread my post and fixed grammatical errors.

LOL yeah right.

Now you know how Bruins fans felt after every game against the Leafs last year.

I now understand why you guys feel so awesome after games versus us. I forgive you.

what a humiliating loss. habs deserved what was handed to them. only thing i take offense to is the bite and the orr knee.
bourque got knocked the fuck out, gorges got toyed with. just embarrassing to see.
i say get rid of moen and armstrong. put white back in and get some proper 4th line grinders.

and i agree with kave man, gorges should shut the fuck up. just diarrhea coming out of his mouth throughout the lockout and now during the season

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If they won 300 and lost 6000 they'd still be leading in total faceoffs won but would be fucking terrible on the draw.

Yes, but he hasn't lost 6000. He has won more than he's lost. He is almost 60% in the circle and percentage may not stand if they take that many more draws.

He's still #2 in the league in won draws and if you'd want to take %, well I can use your logic that there are a shit load of guys who took only 3 draws and got 100%.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't know where people are seeing Orr trying to knee Plekanec. He tried to destroy him with a shoulder. Plekanec saw him at the last minute and jumped to the side to avoid it.

In regards to Grabo, still see no proof that he bit him. All you have is Pacioretty covering his face with his arm from behind. Either way I blame the refs here, Grabo had his gloves off ready to fight Plekanec but they were holding Plekanec back not allowing him to engage in the fight.

And lastly a gif someone posted to sum up last night's game:

9F0jLjC.gif

I don't know where people are seeing Orr trying to knee Plekanec. He tried to destroy him with a shoulder. Plekanec saw him at the last minute and jumped to the side to avoid it.

In regards to Grabo, still see no proof that he bit him. All you have is Pacioretty covering his face with his arm from behind. Either way I blame the refs here, Grabo had his gloves off ready to fight Plekanec but they were holding Plekanec back not allowing him to engage in the fight.

And lastly a gif someone posted to sum up last night's game:

9F0jLjC.gif

irregardless if he tried to knee him or not, at that stage of a game you dont try to take out the opposing teams best player

Only got to catch pieces of the Canes/Flyers game. Glad the Canes got out of Philly with a point. That place has been a graveyard for the Canes since Laviolette took over as coach there. I think he had a bone to pick with how Carolina let him go (and I don't blame him) and he gets his guys amped up for a beat down.

irregardless if he tried to knee him or not, at that stage of a game you dont try to take out the opposing teams best player

At every stage of the game you finish your checks.

Went to a Senior AAA hockey game in Kenora last night.

Paid $10.

Didn't really think about it until I realized that I had probably just paid more than most people who go see Coyotes games.

Hey! My wife is from Kenora!

fallout

Went to a Senior AAA hockey game in Kenora last night.

Paid $10.

Didn't really think about it until I realized that I had probably just paid more than most people who go see Coyotes games.

Fuck that. If you stick your arm in somebodies mouth and they bite it, you really have nobody but yourself to blame. Surely he would have had a much more difficult time biting his arm if it wasn't inside his fucking mouth at the time.

what if it was the other way around? what if lets say we had lapierre and he bit kessels arm?
would you be saying the same thing? a bite is a bite. do people bite other peoples hands during face washes?

So two separate articles on NHL.com about the Wings (one about Z, and the other about the game today). One stated that Detroit was only 5-4-1 when the article was posted way after they won yesterday putting them too 6-4-1, and the other article states how they are on a 3 game winning streak when they are only on a 2 game streak. Dang it NHL.com, I know that's just picky stuff but you should be on top of that!!!

Also thank you scheduling, 2 games in less than 24 hours apart (2pm yesterday, 12pm today). I mean really? Usually they give some more time with back to back games right?

Razorskin

----- ------
Brian Elliot 3.51GAA .853 SV%
i3q3JD6jP3OOy.gif

The Hitchcock system has the longetivity of 1 season for shitty goalies.

Thnak god Elliot is getting exposed, Blues fans are incessant about him being a great goaltender and posting that gif of that one nice save he made that one time.

Cactus

Banned
I'd be surprised if the hearing results in a suspension. Paccioretty was covering Grabo's nose and mouth, which, considering that Grabovski was most likely out of breath, probably created a momentary panic and subsequent lapse of judgement.

I'm not necessarily arguing that he was justified in biting down, but the action is somewhat understandable given the situation.

Also, Gorges is a moron. I understand that he was attempting to "rally the troops" and lift spirits after such a terrible loss, but the stuff he was saying during his post-game interview was ridiculous. And now we have Hab fans on Twitter saying that they hope the "classless" Leafs die in a plane crash, among other equally disturbing things.

what if it was the other way around? what if lets say we had lapierre and he bit kessels arm?
would you be saying the same thing? a bite is a bite. do people bite other peoples hands during face washes?

If you came up behind me, grabbed my face and started twisting my neck, there's a very good chance you'd get bit.
As for your question, sure I can be a salty homer.

It's not just Georges being dumb after the game. Even Therrien post game was blaming everybody but the Habs. After a game like that a head coach should not be looking to excuse the (horrible) play of his own team.

Montresor

Pretty much.

What the hell happened to you man? You went a full 180 from the guy who would take everything to heart about the Leafs. Now you try to always find the dark side to anything we do. :(

I'm just being realistic about the Grabovski-Pacioretty incident. That one scrum is the only criticism I've been leveling towards the Leafs. Every other aspect of last night's game made me incredibly happy.

edit: Virtually every aspect of last night's game put me in a great mood. Why are you saying I'm only looking for negatives?

Lol Prust is a bum. You don't play on the Rangers anymore bud, this is a Leafs/Canadiens game, not a Rangers/Devils game. You will pay the price for your actions.

Cactus

Banned
If you came up behind me, grabbed my face and started twisting my neck, there's a very good chance you'd get bit.
As for your question, sure I can be a salty homer.

It's not just Georges being dumb after the game. Even Therrien post game was blaming everybody but the Habs. After a game like that a head coach should not be looking to excuse the (horrible) play of his own team.
My guess is that they don't want this game to negatively affect morale and willingness to compete. By blaming other factors, the team is able to grasp on to the delusional notion that classless behaviour from their opponent was the primary factor that contributed to the loss. We'll see if it works, I guess. When the Habs killed the Leafs last season, Wilson kind of did the opposite and primarily blamed his own players, and the team went on a huge losing streak afterwards. Hockey players seem to have fragile mental states, so maybe Therrien's method will work better.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is that they don't want this game to negatively affect morale and willingness to compete. By blaming other factors, the team is able to grasp on to the delusional notion that classless behaviour from their opponent was the primary factor that contributed to the loss. We'll see if it works, I guess. When the Habs killed the Leafs last season, Wilson kind of did the opposite and primarily blamed his own players, and the team went on a huge losing streak afterwards. Hockey players seem to have fragile mental states, so maybe Therrien's method will work better.

Therrien already said the Leafs showed up to play, and Montreal didn't.

Damn Leafs gaf is salty even after wins, taking the Cakeboss approach I see.

Cactus

Banned
Therrien already said the Leafs showed up to play, and Montreal didn't.

Damn Leafs gaf is salty even after wins, taking the Cakeboss approach I see.
All of Leafs-gaf salt combined doesn't even come close to the salt we saw from Solo last night. Either way, it was a very fun game to watch so I hope you'll forgive me if I rub it in a little while I'm still able to :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
All of Leafs-gaf salt combined doesn't even come close to the salt we saw from Solo last night. Either way, it was a very fun game to watch so I hope you'll forgive me if I rub it in a little while I'm still able to :)

Have fun with it, I would. How many of you were defenders of Burrows though?

Hey Canucks, who's 1A/1B?

MacAttack

now we have Hab fans on Twitter saying that they hope the "classless" Leafs die in a plane crash, among other equally disturbing things.
I hate that twitter has given a credible voice to ignorant people. It's worse than using Tabris as a source for information.

Top Bottom